Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

That was the best song at the bang bang yet. It was amazing how it sounded completely timeless, like you couldn't pin an easy genre or decade on it.

That is Lynch's son's band. If you like that timeless, retro rock n roll sound, check out the Raveonettes, a Danish two-piece band that was bigger 10-15 years ago. They have that great fuzzy, twangy, "1950s dream/nightmare" sound and style that I associate with Lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Accretionist posted:

It's the suits. And haircut. The 90s were... not good.

Yeah. She looks much much better today even 25 years older.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Eraserhead for the first time in a couple years in a theater tonight. The tree (the evolution of the arm) is totally in there!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo watch everything, without the night there is no dawn

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

cjg posted:

Lynch himself even said Season 2 sucks.

Heavy Metal posted:

He also directed a few of the best TV episodes ever in that season, and I've enjoyed albums that bands ended up not being proud of etc. I enjoyed it enough to watch all of it twice. I agree there's a dip in the middle of S2 though.

David Lynch says that David Lynch's Dune is garbage. I understand why he might feel that way, but he's totally wrong.

He was also wrong when he thought weirding modules were cooler than "kung fu in the desert." Although I suppose he meant the Carradine show. Evil Cooper doing magical disarms and takedowns was Paul Atreides finally using his Bene Geserit training.

moller fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 10, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

or maybe we're just angry when we see a two dimensional caricature of a nagging wife...

I'm talking about Chrysta Bell not Truman's wife.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I love everything about the end credits for each episode. There's something really evocative about the way "Starring Kyle Maclachlan" appears after a brief pause and the crawl for the rest begins.

I wasn't familiar with Chromatics but the entire first revisited sequence at The Bang Bang Bar felt so perfect and so iconic.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It turns out I've been a fan of Chrysta Bell for almost 20 years. She was the sultry singer of Austin-based retro jazz combo 8 1/2 Souvenirs, who didn't make much of a splash during the "swing revival" of the late '90s, but they opted for more of a continental "hot jazz" sound than the ex-punk rockers who put on zoot suits and drew from later swing and jump blues.

Here she is, looking absolutely the same (gorgeous) and performing on Austin City Limits with 8 1/2 Souvenirs.
http://youtu.be/eMckyFoEEGI

After this, she became Lynch's muse and sang on some songs in Inland Empire and Lynch's own albums.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

After this, she became Lynch's muse and sang on some songs in Inland Empire and Lynch's own albums.

I always liked this track from the record they did together. Simple and haunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pffDL25zLg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That is Lynch's son's band. If you like that timeless, retro rock n roll sound, check out the Raveonettes, a Danish two-piece band that was bigger 10-15 years ago. They have that great fuzzy, twangy, "1950s dream/nightmare" sound and style that I associate with Lynch.

Holy poo poo, that's Lynch's son up there? drat fine music.

Yeah the Raveonettes have been favorites of mine for a long time. Their cover of "The End" sounds like it should be in a Lynch film for sure.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's weird to me that David Lynch has offspring. Can you imagine having sex with David Lynch? Or having David Lynch by your bed as you're giving birth to his son? Yelling PUSH, YOU'RE DOING SO WELL in that Gordon Cole voice.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Or having David Lynch by your bed as you're giving birth to his son? Yelling PUSH, YOU'RE DOING SO WELL in that Gordon Cole voice.

I imagine he would just keep repeating "beautiful! beautiful!" while he throws a side of beef at a canvas.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I want to watch Lynch and Herzog in a room talking about movies.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kubrick said Eraserhead was his favorite movie, which is cool

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Not the first time one of Lynch's sons was in the show

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/MrPope/status/873646774497538048

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I want to watch Lynch and Herzog in a room talking about movies.

https://youtu.be/nh5Zjm4kMus

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
as an unironic alex jones fan I'm loving dr amp

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Do I know where my freedom is? No, Dr. Amp. No, I don't.

I would watch his youtube channel.

And I love the up-thread description of DopCoop's takedown of the guard as Bene Gesserit training.

Is there cannon evidence for what's up with the Glass Box's watchers? I got the impression it's a human sacrifice thing from the high-rise office conversation.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 11, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress man, I was concerned that the show wouldn't start where it left off, but holy poo poo it goes right off the deep end.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
In 2x10, Cooper tells Hawk, "If I'm ever lost, I hope you're the man they send to find me."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loga mira posted:

Not the first time one of Lynch's sons was in the show

I'm not entirely convinced that isn't Lynch himself.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm three episodes into the new season now and while it's definitely way higher budget, I find myself missing the coziness of the original series. The violence and supernatural elements of OG Twin Peaks were on the fringes, just barely tugging at the viewer's awareness as they were absorbed by the characters and humor of the show that generally were at the forefront. This one is so heavy on the brutality and death and despair, it's honestly kind of hard to watch. Is this going to change at all or do I just need to resign myself to a very different sort of Twin Peaks?

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I'm three episodes into the new season now and while it's definitely way higher budget, I find myself missing the coziness of the original series. The violence and supernatural elements of OG Twin Peaks were on the fringes, just barely tugging at the viewer's awareness as they were absorbed by the characters and humor of the show that generally were at the forefront. This one is so heavy on the brutality and death and despair, it's honestly kind of hard to watch. Is this going to change at all or do I just need to resign myself to a very different sort of Twin Peaks?

The humour, tone, quirkiness, and charm kick back in a lot in the next two episodes, though the more brutal and odd elements remain.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Finally completed my binge of my first time through Twin Peaks S1 + S2 + FWWM + MP, culminating in watching all the revival episodes tonight. Anyone got any links to any good numerology theories?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Klungar posted:

good numerology theories?

Please don't oxymoron itt

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PantsBandit posted:

Have you seen the movie? Season 3 feels more in tone with that imo.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I hope Wally plays this role in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIQB-yl0Cv8

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Not asking for "FILES," but is there anywhere I can watch The Missing Pieces without having to buy the Blu-Ray? When Showtime Anytime had Fire Walk With Me available recently (which they just foolishly removed from their listings), it didn't seem to include the Missing Pieces.

EDIT:

Did we know about this? Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier by Mark Frost, a sequel to The Secret History, due out in October and expected to tie up any remaining loose ends?

https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Dossier-Mark-Frost/dp/1250163307/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_74_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EB3AZ3BDEREADX5NEFNV

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 11, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Not asking for "FILES," but is there anywhere I can watch The Missing Pieces without having to buy the Blu-Ray? When Showtime Anytime had Fire Walk With Me available recently (which they just foolishly removed from their listings), it didn't seem to include the Missing Pieces.

There's a fan edit of FWWM made by a guy called Q2, which is readily available and includes most (all?) of Missing Pieces. It's really long and kind of wrecks the pacing of the movie, but I liked it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baloogan posted:

unironic alex jones fan

regulargonzalez posted:

Please don't oxymoron

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think all the bands at the end are just an excuse for Lynch to see bands he likes live

I hope Dick Tremane comes back

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I think all the bands at the end are just an excuse for Lynch to see bands he likes live

I hope Dick Tremane comes back

yeah i think lynch directed a bunch of live concerts between inland empire and now so i think he just put these roadhouse shows in just so he could film them

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Phi230 posted:

I'm totally OK with that honestly. It feels like a good fit for the series.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also anybody notice that the cinematography and acting and even CGI is very specifically mimicking like really bad low budget movies? I've seen the...style so many times in awful films from like 10-15 years ago. It has to be intentional

Mr. Jackpots was also the best part of the new season

Cooper schlepping around as Doug Jones is also the best

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 12, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Phi230 posted:

David Lynch has great taste in music, so I'm all about this.

Also I hope that he gets up on stage at some point in the series and does Crazy Clown Time. Possibly in character as Gordon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

cptn_dr posted:

David Lynch has great taste in music, so I'm all about this.

Also I hope that he gets up on stage at some point in the series and does Crazy Clown Time. Possibly in character as Gordon.

"Well Gordon, I guess that wraps up the mystery of the Blue Roses once and for all."
"YOU'RE RIGHT, ALBERT. AND YOU KNOW WHAT? ALL THIS AMOUNTED TO WAS A BUNCH OF CRAZY CLOWN TIME."
[music]

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yes Ernie Hudson and Dr Jacoby has a podcast

And budget Matthew Mccaugnahey wont stop smoking

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 12, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hello Logheads, I'm watching this one live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Poor Dougie.