Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

We have established a strong presence in the Caribbean, and it is time to look beyond. Al-Andalus's future lies in the great rivers of the New World! I propose the Riverine Colonization Act, mandating that we establish colonial nations around the two great rivers of the New World, with priority given to the Northern River as we have no outpost there. He who controls the rivers, controls trade. (basically create colonial nations around the Mississippi and Amazon, starting with the Misssissippi.)

supporting this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

everydayfalls posted:

Griswold's religious unity act

Yeah, this.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

TildeATH posted:

I propose We Assemble a Crew to counteract the bloody conflict that will surely come. The Sultan should improve relations and find alliances with local powers to offset the strength of the Almovorids and France, especially Provence.

I support this.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Grizzwold posted:

I propose the Religious Unity Act, directing the sultan to convert as many provinces as possible to the true faith, prioritizing catholic regions. At least the Shia are Muslims.

I support this proposal.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am proposing the Stepping Stone Act. Instead of focusing on the continental rivers, let us leapfrog from our islands to the landmass directly beyond them - Central America, and make that our next colonial priority.

:agreed:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TildeATH posted:

I propose We Assemble a Crew to counteract the bloody conflict that will surely come. The Sultan should improve relations and find alliances with local powers to offset the strength of the Almovorids and France, especially Provence.

Changing my vote to this

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

gbuchold posted:

Who can we punch hard enough to make a vassal fall out? We have all these diplo slots and nothing to do with them.

I propose the Enemy Mine act, that our incomparable sultan keep his eagle eye on the Evangelical conflict, prepare for war, and aim to attack France and Castile at a point of vulnerability, with the aim to seize land in the south of France and release it as a Sunni vassal state. It would be best and most defensible if French lands were administrated swiftly and without unnecessary bureaucracy such as that of the Majlis; surely a cadet member of the Jizrunid dynasty can be found to administrate such lands by the sultan's direct command?

I vote this

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I propose the Al-Andalus Under Arms Act. This grants the sultan mandate to do whatever it takes to maximize our effective manpower. This includes the construction of barracks, preference for manpower in special events, and alliances with enemies of France or Morocco.

Addendum: said alliances include the Catholic League

Support!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Session closed.:siren: Passed policies are the Al-Andalus Under Arms Act, the Religious Unity Act, the Riverine Colonization Act, and the Assemble a Crew Act. The Those Fxxxers - Our poo poo Act and the Stepping Stone Act are tied for the second Merchant policy slot, which means the Sultan will decide between them, though he'll likely go for the former since another colonisation focus has garnered more support.

Also, the Ulema should know that the Castilians and Portuguese are still protected by their Dhimmi status, so I'll only be able to convert Leónese and Aragonese provinces.

Rodyle posted:

I propose the Al-Andalus Under Arms Act. This grants the sultan mandate to do whatever it takes to maximize our effective manpower. This includes the construction of barracks, preference for manpower in special events, and alliances with enemies of France or Morocco.

Addendum: said alliances include the Catholic League

Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Dick Trauma, Lynneth.

Luhood posted:

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose the Cutting the French act. We are to declare war upon France in a moment of their weakness, NOT to seize any lands but to free lands from French yoke.
List of demands over here.

Luhood.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, the Dalai Ullama, propose we force vassalize Aragon, force convert them to Sunni, and then use their claims to get more land from France. we'll have Aragon convert our prnvinces for us.

Ralepozozaxe.

Nine of Eight posted:

I propose the Make the heathens bleed act that stipulates we should build up a web of Christians that hate the French around them. I acquiesce that we may be deceived as we were by those Celt bastards, but if we can get even a few Christian states to bleed for us when we next fight the French, we will be the essential winners overall.

Nine of Eight.

Grizzwold posted:

I propose the Religious Unity Act, directing the sultan to convert as many provinces as possible to the true faith, prioritizing catholic regions. At least the Shia are Muslims.

Grizzwold, Snipee, AJ_Impy, Chatrapati, The Lone Badger, Slaan, Hitlers Gay Secret, everydayfalls, ThatBasqueGuy, Erwin the German, Velius.

Mikl posted:

Therefore, I propose the Those Fxxxers - Our poo poo Act: take Taghzir from the Almoravids, by all means necessary.

Mikl, Frionnel, Mr.Morgenstern, WilliamAnderson.

Soup du Jour posted:

We have established a strong presence in the Caribbean, and it is time to look beyond. Al-Andalus's future lies in the great rivers of the New World! I propose the Riverine Colonization Act, mandating that we establish colonial nations around the two great rivers of the New World, with priority given to the Northern River as we have no outpost there. He who controls the rivers, controls trade. (basically create colonial nations around the Mississippi and Amazon, starting with the Misssissippi.)

Soup du Jour, Talas, Ikasuhito, Technowolf, Rubix Squid, HiHo ChiRho.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the D.R.E.A.M. Vacay Act: Prioritize colonization of the mainland (anywhere on the coast of the gulf) however the Sultan sees fit. This explicitly includes taking land from native empires in war as a suggested possibility, but not a requirement.

Thordain.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I am proposing the Stepping Stone Act. Instead of focusing on the continental rivers, let us leapfrog from our islands to the landmass directly beyond them - Central America, and make that our next colonial priority.

Captain Oblivious, GunnerJ, paragon1, Crazycryodude.

catlord posted:

I propose we maintain our navy to the highest standard. Our navy is of vital importance to our war efforts, as we have seen when it's been destroyed in previous wars.

catlord.

TildeATH posted:

TildeATH, Alikchi, Archaeology Hat, RZApublican.

gbuchold posted:

I propose the Enemy Mine act, that our incomparable sultan keep his eagle eye on the Evangelical conflict, prepare for war, and aim to attack France and Castile at a point of vulnerability, with the aim to seize land in the south of France and release it as a Sunni vassal state.

gbuchold, mcclay.

Mountaineer posted:

I propose we join the Catholic League. While it may seem strange to involve Al-Andalus in a Christian religious conflict/HRE political conflict, a League war could have consequences for all of Europe including us. France leads the Protestant League and may be in a position to become emperor should they win, and that would only be bad for Al-Andalus.

Mountaineer.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hashim posted:

Also, the Ulema should know that the Castilians and Portuguese are still protected by their Dhimmi status, so I'll only be able to convert Leónese and Aragonese provinces.

Which one massacred our people during the Galacian revolt? Because that one needs to be converted asap. (And their Dhimmi status revoked if needed)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Can you bring any personal items with you to the oubliette?

Asking for a friend.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Aww, no one else wanted to join the League War?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Dick Trauma posted:

Can you bring any personal items with you to the oubliette?

Asking for a friend.

There will be no need for oubliettes in our glorious new colonies, although we do hope you are okay with indentured servitude.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Calling for a motion to name one of our more forgettable islands to oubliette.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Second.

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Really I think we should wait for that until we discover Australia.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Which one massacred our people during the Galacian revolt? Because that one needs to be converted asap. (And their Dhimmi status revoked if needed)

This mullah speaks the truth. Rebels should be the first converts.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I am in favor of revoking Dhimmi status for all of the Christians if we can convert them fast enough.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
That probably won't happen unless the Ulama manage to get control of the government, and since colonialism is really popular I don't see that happening for a while.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Mr_Autoshades posted:

Really I think we should wait for that until we discover Australia.

What is Arabic for Oubliette?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

theblastizard posted:

What is Arabic for Oubliette?

znzana, زنزانة

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Caribbean's way too nice for an Oubliette. Have Hashim grab the Guianas.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

To rule is for those with swords and coin, not mere imams.

The Majils was created the lead, not to read!

Mr_Autoshades
Dec 5, 2016

Rodyle posted:

To rule is for those with swords and coin, not mere imams.

The Majils was created the lead, not to read!

There's just going to be an Anti-intellectual thread in our aristocracy that's not going to go away isn't there?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mr_Autoshades posted:

There's just going to be an Anti-intellectual thread in our aristocracy that's not going to go away isn't there?

Just like a peasant to not understand anything. Learning is the highest goal of the civilized man, but reading and writing? A waste of time! Clerks and scribes exist so that the truly knowledgeable need not waste time on it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr_Autoshades posted:

It does explain how things tend to go when the New Taifas are in power...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

For those who want to convert stuff, keep in mind our missionary strength isn't very good until/unless the Ulama take over.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr_Autoshades posted:

And our Ulemas, too, let's be honest. The only policies they ever seem to pass are their conversion policies, which means they barely accomplish anything at all. I mean, there have been the odd internal development ones, but for the most part they're basically squandering their sole policy.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
We've only voted for conversion twice, once as a coalition, and this time when we were first able to as we were second in power. We have also twice voted for increases in tech, as well as building mosques, improving development, moving capitals, and increasing stability. These are the things written in our charter. We aren't doing any real anti intellectual things, we even tried to build universities long before possible. The Ulama love knowledge.

I also realized I can no longer remember wether we are Ulama or Ulema anymore.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

And our Ulemas, too, let's be honest. The only policies they ever seem to pass are their conversion policies, which means they barely accomplish anything at all. I mean, there have been the odd internal development ones, but for the most part they're basically squandering their sole policy.

we've only been able to do put forth conversion laws twice, every other policies has been focused on development or technology. Leave it to a merchant to forget everything that happens outside his ledger.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Patter Song posted:

Caribbean's way too nice for an Oubliette. Have Hashim grab the Guianas.

Yeah. When we occupy the Salvation island chain, there's where Znzana should be placed.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

So I started playing the next update...

This is gonna go well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And that was the day I finally learned the meaning of "turbo-hosed."

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Hashim posted:

This is gonna go well.

Welp, at least we will have some nice colonies to escap... migrate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hashim posted:

This is gonna go well.

Truly won't someone think of the poor Moroccans, they're such good Muslims! :jerkbag:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

"We should attack Morocco and take their poo poo."
"Oh no Morocco allied our rival, those traitors!"

Come on, guys.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yeah, it wasn't really unexpected. The Majlis is fiercely expansionistic against both France and Morocco, and it's been a couple decades since we forced the French to break their alliance, so it was kinda bound to happen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mountaineer posted:

Come on, guys.

I mean, they literally allied France first. That was what started this whole thing. They joined forces with the premier Christian power out of nowhere, before any of that.

Why there be so many Morocoo apologists in the Majlis? Are you folks truly loyal to the Jizrunids? :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Come on, guys.

They literally did this before for no reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You idiots literally made us turn down an alliance with them.