Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

hakimashou posted:

I don't know the context for your thread's title, it just sounded funny.

We are down to only one state with a legal defence for murdering people you believe are homosexuals flirting with you. We're pretty proud of ourselves for being so progressive, but still, be careful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gentleman Baller posted:

We are down to only one state with a legal defence for murdering people you believe are homosexuals flirting with you. We're pretty proud of ourselves for being so progressive, but still, be careful!

If Britain can redeem itself, anyone can. I believe in you!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hakimashou posted:

Aw, bless.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

That's why you're the Worst English Speaking Country!

Britain was only temporarily worse because of Brexit, which was super duper stupid and racist, but they made up for it with Corbae and the nightmare leprechaun shitstorm now descending upon their tory party.

While I don't mind your perspective I'm pretty sure that racistly shooting yourself in the dick because man, shooting my dick off is sure going to hurt those browns (AKA brexit) still isn't worse than torturing refugees in offshore hell camps. I'm sorry.

Also I'm sorry.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hakimashou posted:

newsflash UK is still poo poo

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

hooman posted:

While I don't mind your perspective I'm pretty sure that racistly shooting yourself in the dick because man, shooting my dick off is sure going to hurt those browns (AKA brexit) still isn't worse than torturing refugees in offshore hell camps. I'm sorry.

Also I'm sorry.

Recoome posted:

newsflash UK is still poo poo

Indeed, in these dark and debased times it can be difficult to pick which English Speaking Country is The Worst.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

hakimashou posted:

Indeed, in these dark and debased times it can be difficult to pick which English Speaking Country is The Worst.

How about the one with the Trump-shaped shadow over it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress off Pom Australia is the bloody best

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JBP posted:

gently caress off Pom Australia is the bloody best

I'm not British I'm American.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
The one saving grace of this thread was that it didn't have Pissflaps but now we can't even say that anymore.

THE DARKEST TIMELINE

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hakimashou posted:

I'm not British I'm American.

gently caress off yank Australia is the bloody best.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

foolish_fool posted:

Sure corbyn didn't lose by as much as expected but he still lost, it clearly wasn't inspiring enough to enough people despite the monstrosity and incompetence of the Tories. It makes sense to me that labor would be cautious given that the electorate is so bonkers as to have elected Abbott then Turnbull.

There are only a few extreme scenarios where voters move wholesale from one party to another, otherwise the best you can do is convince people in sizeable 1-5% chunks. One scenario is an existential crisis where a party accomplishes or fails their stated reasons for existing (such as UKIP and Brexit). A party can also betray their supporters by reversing a major policy or following through with a disastrous implementation (Aus Democrats with GST, Liberal Democrats with tuition fees/welfare cuts...). And there is also severe infighting, a loss of executive leadership and faith in the party (which often follows from the previous problems).

Since neither of those things happened with the Conservatives (they would have had to campaign on staying in the EU for example), the best Labour could have hoped for is a large swing (say 5%). While their policies were terrible and poorly messaged, they were not out of the exceptionally out of the ordinary for a conservative government. And while the campaigning was poor, the party was not actively sabotaging May's work. In effect they were always going to keep their core supporters, and many people of the people who lean Conservative.

The problem with Labour was that they accrued too many 1-5% swings away from the party, which meant they could never peel away enough people with bad policies like fox hunting and reverse mortgages to pay for healthcare. Half of a large crowd is still a moderately sized crowd. From a politician's perspective you look at Labours performance as being the fourth best ever in UK history. A 10% swing is essentially what you would get from running two very good election campaigns. So you can see why a politician might be interested in getting two good elections for the price of one. Even if you want to say the Conservatives threw away the election (-5%), it still leaves Labour as having run a very good campaign when everyone said they were garbage losers and the executive were lining up to undermine and knife the leader. So there is still a reason to want to learn what they done right, and try to emulate it. There's a reason why the traitors are crawling back to kiss the ring, and the Conservatives are sharpening the knives. Elections are judged by politicians on performance, and not who came first. Coming first is also important, but politicians are more interested in getting and keeping jobs (seats). The biggest tears are coming from the loser Clegg, not Labour.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

hakimashou posted:

I've got some bad news for you all.

The Brexit had given you guys nearly a year's reprieve from your previous position on the Countries Ranking, but with Corbyn's triumph in limeyland, you're back to your old spot as Worst English Speaking Country.

Please carry on with your... sodomy? idgi. Sorry for your troubles.

On the other hand we're in the Paris accords, our allies still like us, and we're too irrelevant to destabilise the world with our stupidity.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Thanks pissflaps... wait a minute there are pissflii???

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao the LNP budget reply in QLD is to turn the Roma St Railyard into malls and apartments.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...71f560f6c9c489e

Lol yes hmm let's demolish the train stations for another loving stadium.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Gold Coast LNP Chinese Heritage Branch gets mixed reception
Jeremy Pierce, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
June 10, 2017 10:26pm
Subscriber only
LNP public service cuts feared
Regions may push Labor out
Nicholls pledges less red tape
A CHINESE-only branch of the Liberal National Party has formed on the Gold Coast, dividing the party faithful.

The Gold Coast LNP Chinese Heritage Branch has just held its first meeting, with dozens of members joining several sitting MPs for the inauguration.

The new branch comes just weeks after the launch of a similar splinter group in the Brisbane suburb of Sunnybank, and is reminiscent of the influx of Chinese members to the party’s federal Ryan branch when Chinese Australian Michael Johnson was MP.

While LNP officials have embraced the enthusiasm of the new Chinese supporters, some rank-and-file party members are not impressed, questioning why they wouldn’t just join existing branches.

“We welcome Chinese members, or members of any racial background, but having their own branch is more like segregation than integration,” one member told The Sunday Mail.

“There’s a lot of people quite uncomfortable with it.”

Members of the Gold Coast LNP Chinese Heritage Branch
Another Gold Coast member said it made more sense for immigrants who were passionate about politics to join a local branch rather than create their own.

“I don’t understand it,” the member said.

“It’s quite divisive.”

LNP president Gary Spence said the formation of Chinese-only branches was no different to the existence of the Young LNP and LNP women branches.

All members are Australian citizens, enlisted on electoral rolls.

“Many members speak English as a second language and are pleased to have a chance to actively participate in Australia’s democracy with fellow Mandarin and Cantonese speakers,” he said.

“Many of the members are also in small business and are very supportive of the LNP’s economic agenda, strong border security and law and order platform.”

Member for Mermaid Beach Ray Stevens, a guest speaker at the Gold Coast group’s inaugural meeting, said it was heartening to see Chinese immigrants wanting to be involved in the political process.

“A lot of them are small business owners with LNP values but they felt more comfortable (with a Chinese branch), particularly the ones who don’t speak English very well.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...359ef6dae27724e

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Lmao the LNP budget reply in QLD is to turn the Roma St Railyard into malls and apartments.
Considering the state of the Brisbane apartment market at the moment, this is hilarious coming from the LNP.

Also inner-city store space in Brisbane is already woefully empty as it is.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I completely agree, in a city with a woefully inadequate public transportation system, the answer is of course to go balls deep with it and demolish all the public transportation.

Imagine all the congestion we could have with another stadium

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Isn't that like a click from Lang park?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Recoome posted:

I completely agree, in a city with a woefully inadequate public transportation system, the answer is of course to go balls deep with it and demolish all the public transportation.

Imagine all the congestion we could have with another stadium

For the loving firebirds

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Didn't you see in the picture for that development plan? There will be enhanced public transport connections! Everything will be fine!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mr Premier where the gently caress do we dock the trains now?

Shut the gently caress up, the firebirds are playing

How do all those people get there without a train or bus station? How do you plan on demolishing a train station, yard and relocating your entire inner city train fleet to a magical location? The firebirds already play at the loving convention centre.

How? why? How? Why? How?

Brisb-brisbane s s s strong!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mr Nicholls said the LNP would grant AEG Ogden a two-year exclusive mandate for a fully costed business case to develop the site over the top of the railyards, and he promised to assess it within four months under a “supercharged’’ Market-Led Proposals framework.

“supercharged’’ Market-Led Proposals framework.

Who wrote this I am going to kill you. Who is your speech writer LNP? What does it mean.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hakimashou posted:

That's why you're the Worst English Speaking Country!

Britain was only temporarily worse because of Brexit, which was super duper stupid and racist, but they made up for it with Corbae and the nightmare leprechaun shitstorm now descending upon their tory party.

Voting to leave an economic union and refusing foreigners free and unrestricted entry into your country (but still letting them enter for valid visa reasons) is worse than literal concentration camps that have resulted in multiple dead refugees, rapes and child abuse?

You've got an interesting moral compass.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Like all corporate speak, it means absolutely nothing at all.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
'market led' sounds like a diplomatic way of saying they're just letting their mates get a free run to do whatever the gently caress they want and no it isn't a coincidence the relevant minister ended up working for them when they retired from politics why do you ask

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone else see Gerard Henderson's nice meltdown on Insiders today?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Some people's frothing fervour for sports related poo poo is baffling. I assume when it comes to politicians and stadiums it's just corruption though.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

As if Brisbane has enough teams to care about for another stadium?

Red? Suncorp
Broncos? Suncorp
Cricket? Gabba
Basketball? Convention Centre

Who is this for even?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
hakimashou's a nazi and everyone should tell him to gently caress off.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Red? Suncorp
Broncos? Suncorp
Cricket? Gabba

Who is this for even?

People who like sports ball.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Konomex posted:

Voting to leave an economic union and refusing foreigners free and unrestricted entry into your country (but still letting them enter for valid visa reasons) is worse than literal concentration camps that have resulted in multiple dead refugees, rapes and child abuse?

You've got an interesting moral compass.

The economic union issue affects the (mostly white) people far more than a bunch of unwanted vaguely brown people dying in horrific concentration camps full of despair, abuse and rape. I mean who cares about them anyway right?

So yes, because it inconveniences the (mostly white) people more obviously the visa issue makes them far worse than our Sunburnt Country of 21st century concentration camps overseen by literal black shirted thugs accountable only to King Potatoe.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

People who like sports ball.

Oh boy, Queensland has to travel to Brisbane on subpar public transport for another loving team.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Red? Suncorp
Broncos? Suncorp
Cricket? Gabba

Who is this for even?

Anidav posted:

Mr Premier where the gently caress do we dock the trains now?

Shut the gently caress up, the firebirds are playing

How do all those people get there without a train or bus station? How do you plan on demolishing a train station, yard and relocating your entire inner city train fleet to a magical location? The firebirds already play at the loving convention centre.

How? why? How? Why? How?

Brisb-brisbane s s s strong!

*extremely milky moor voice* why don't you care about womens sports anidav

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Clearly some Tory mates like the firebirds so gently caress you trains

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've actually come to the conclusion that anyone wearing a shirt of a Brisbane team is a loving lunatic.

Someone arrest iajanus

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

I've actually come to the conclusion that anyone wearing a shirt of a Brisbane team is a loving lunatic.

Someone arrest iajanus

As if I support any Brisbane teams. Them's fighting words.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

iajanus posted:

As if I support any Brisbane teams. Them's fighting words.

As if supporting Brisbane is worse than ever supporting the Roosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

As if supporting Brisbane is worse than ever supporting the Roosters.

I'd say iajanus wishes he supported the roosters but nah gently caress that noise

• Locked thread