Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So what is Impact theoretically used for in the RDM rotation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You use Impact when you have a proc to use it, instead of using Jolt I/II

Just think of it like a firestarter proc for BLM

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ihatepants posted:

I'm finally about to finish the patch 2.55 stuff and enter Heavensward content. Is there ever a point where I would get locked out of any sidequests, especially stuff that unlocks content, if I progress with the MSQ? I know that there's some NPCs that will no longer be around in the future and don't want to miss out on anything.

With the exception of seasonal quests, you never have to worry about getting locked out of anything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tenik posted:

Right. Ideally you never use either Jolt or Impact but realistically you use Jolt when you don't have a Verstone/Verfire proc, and you use Impact when you have a proc (aka. have used Jolt in the past 30 seconds) and would otherwise cast Jolt.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tenik posted:

Yup just to clarify since one of the tooltips people are looking at is wrong, Impact gives 4/4 Mana vs Jolt I/II's 3/3.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Hildebrand is simply the best questline FFXIV has to offer. Onward!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So I vaguely recall there was no starter gear for the new jobs in HW and I ended up paying markup for a few bits of 30 gear for my babby DRK, (nothing egregious but it irked me a bit because I WAS NOT PREPARED!) Since I'm guessing SB is the same, what's the best set to have prepped for RDM and SAM when you unlock them at 50? Poetics gear? Will they just share BLM and MNK gear or what the heck do we buy???

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why would you need to pay markup when you can just visit a vendor and buy stuff?

SAM shares with MNK
RDM Shares with SMN/BLM

Best gear for 50 would probably be Ironworks, but it'll only last a couple levels, so I wouldn't bother going out of your way to get it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why would you need to pay markup when you can just visit a vendor and buy stuff?

SAM shares with MNK
RDM Shares with SMN/BLM

Best gear for 50 would probably be Ironworks, but it'll only last a couple levels, so I wouldn't bother going out of your way to get it.

Except the ironworks armor looks awesome I'm, so it is great for glamour.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well glamour is different.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also "a couple levels" is inaccurate-to-incorrect. Significant upgrades aren't available until 57. It's less important when leveling entirely thru PotD but vital in any roulettes, trials, etc.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

isk posted:

Also "a couple levels" is inaccurate-to-incorrect. Significant upgrades aren't available until 57. It's less important when leveling entirely thru PotD but vital in any roulettes, trials, etc.

It's only a couple levels where the difference above vendor trash will be very noticeable though, and even at 50 you can buy ilvl 115 gear in Ishgard that will be fine. The need to have BiS gear during leveling is pretty small.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sinteres posted:

It's only a couple levels where the difference above vendor trash will be very noticeable though, and even at 50 you can buy ilvl 115 gear in Ishgard that will be fine. The need to have BiS gear during leveling is pretty small.

Eh. HW leveling mobs hit pretty hard, and if someone has time in the week before SB launch, why not load up on Augmented Ironworks?

At minimum I'd recommend a weapon. Can get by with vendor armor, but it's nice to not have to worry about gear until more than halfway thru.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mistaya posted:

So I vaguely recall there was no starter gear for the new jobs in HW and I ended up paying markup for a few bits of 30 gear for my babby DRK, (nothing egregious but it irked me a bit because I WAS NOT PREPARED!) Since I'm guessing SB is the same, what's the best set to have prepped for RDM and SAM when you unlock them at 50? Poetics gear? Will they just share BLM and MNK gear or what the heck do we buy???

Won't be a big issue with RDM and SAM generally speaking because you're probably drowning in Poetics.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're probably not doing HW quests though and will be in dungeons and trials instead if they're outside of PotD. You can get by with the vendor gear, although personally I wouldn't want to wear that because the NQ 115 stuff is truly crappy and getting a set of basic Ironworks is not a huge effort at this point.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Very late to the yearbook thing:

Khulan Kahkol
Frisbee Golf Team Captain
Voted "Most Likely to Run Out of MP"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

This probably wouldn't change even if you increased the EXP reward to be mathematically similar to the RNG EXP bonus.

The RNG bonus attempts to change that - now, there is an incentive to participate in a FATE, because there's a possibility that your EXP will get boosted for a whole hour. I don't know if the EXP bonus will work like rested EXP bonus in terms of incoming EXP it affects, but that's a big change. If you're running by and you see a FATE, why not try for the bonus? This gets more people doing random FATEs and not just FATEs in certain FATE farming areas.

It's pretty much an attempt to appeal to player psychology. A random chance of a bonus buff is much more of an incentive than just upping FATE EXP across the board, even if the numbers turn out the same.

That makes no drat sense.

Giving people more of what they want appeals directly to player psychology :v: Giving them a chance has a chance to get them motivated but also a chance to just completely frustrate them. Why bother?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Pierced by your rapier wit. :rolleyes:

You have this weird hate boner for RNG when RNG makes a lot of aspects of every game that you like better. River of Blood procs, everything involving the gold saucer, loot drops and rolls, and stats like crit or variable weapon damage are all RNG, so throwing your hands up and ranting about how much RNG will ruin everything is kind of dumb. I can make up numbers about how many times you have to do something to get a result from it, too, but that's not a compelling argument for why it's terrible. It'd just be a compelling argument for me being an idiot.

Also, everyone does a quest grind. It's what you do on your main class to level it. I know I'm loving sick of POTD already after diving down to floor 200 and all the leveling I did in it, so even a fate grind or grinding fates for the buff while in a queue for a dungeon (because I can do that with my chocobo out now) would be preferable, even if it was HW content, to going back to potd.

Gold saucer and game mechanic procs are different. Running into a bad luck streak where you don't crit for a few minutes isn't even going to be all that noticeable unless you're obsessing about DPS meters every second. Gold saucer is inherently gambling and you don't really lose out on anything at all if you lose a few gold saucer bucks.

(That said, I wouldn't mind if there was some kind of mitigation on crits or procs, so if you don't get one after X rolls you're guaranteed one, just to smooth out the curve)

It entirely depends upon the frequency of the event and the effects of the event.

Things like XP and Loot make a HUGE difference and are noticable and don't happen every second. Having them be RNG without limits causes huge issues.

And you guys are still not getting it.

I'm not saying FATEs suck or should suck or have lovely rewards. I'm saying make them better. RNG is a lovely reward. If you need to buff the XP they give, buff the XP. Don't monkey with random poo poo.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 11, 2017

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Sinteres posted:

On the other hand, it would be absolutely trivial to prepare an i130 set if they did it now, so why not.

For the FATE exp thing, if it happens often enough it's not a big deal, if it's an actual rare event that's garbage. This is all assuming it's even actually a thing.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

isk posted:

By ilvl alone, Augmented Ironworks doesn't get matched by dungeon drops until Sohm Al. Level 54 i133 HQ whites could top it slightly and then level 55 drops from The Aery would probably be the first true replacements. In other words, it'll last you about halfway through your HW leveling. You can probably stretch the armor to The Vault if you had to, but I'd replace your weapon by then.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Late to yearbook too. (Warning: Heavenward spoiler)

Feona Elgrande.
Probably last goon on Faerie.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's kind of crass to put the shield that failed him on his gravestone really

if you think about it, it's like saying "if this wasn't a piece of poo poo you wouldn't be dead"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

So what is Impact theoretically used for in the RDM rotation?

The perfect luck RDM rotation is:

Jolt > Ver(aero/thunder) > Ver(stone/fire) > Ver(aero/thunder) > Ver(stone/thunder)

Jolt, Aero and Thunder all have 2.5s cast times. Stone and Fire have 5s cast times, so you get Dualcast from Jolt/Stone/Fire to skip the cast time on Aero and Thunder.

The worst luck RDM rotation is:

Jolt > Ver(aero/thunder) > Jolt > Ver(aero/thunder)

i.e., no procs. If you have the Impactful trait and the Impact action learned, the rotation becomes:

Jolt > Ver(aero/thunder) > Impact > Ver(aero/thunder)

Basically Impact is there to give you +30 potency and +1/+1 mana if you're unlucky and don't get a Stone/Fire proc.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nekolithic Nyandertal
Voted oldest catgirl.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A thing about Red Mage is that one of its key bits seems to be a "build up -> payoff" loop. It has this in both the very short term, where the build up portion is the short casting time spells and the payoff is the heavier spells that lose their five second cast time, and in the (relatively) longer term because you're building up your mana bars until the point where you can jump in and gently caress people up with your sword.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's an RNG xp boost guy. XP is not really a precious resource in this game.

Who cares :effort:

I don't care about the fate thing, it sounds kinda neat. I just took umbrage at half the things they listed as being improved by RNG.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 11, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

A thing about Red Mage is that one of its key bits seems to be a "build up -> payoff" loop. It has this in both the very short term, where the build up portion is the short casting time spells and the payoff is the heavier spells that lose their five second cast time, and in the (relatively) longer term because you're building up your mana bars until the point where you can jump in and gently caress people up with your sword.

Yeah, it has a definite flow to it, which I like and which is why I'll pick up RDM instead of SAM.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Samurai just looks entirely uninteresting to me even though it's probably going to be hitting for 25,000 by the end of the expansion. Red Mage however looks cool as hell, though I'm not sure why gap closers/makers need to be a part of its skill set when generally speaking, right behind an enemy is as safe a place as any by necessity. The only time I don't park up in the rear end area of a boss is if I'm going to get targetted by AoE which makes melee DPS' jobs harder work or if I'm BLM so they're not in my Ley Lines.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Because it looks cool, you rube

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Because it looks cool, you rube

how dare you call someone a rube on the internet, how disgusting!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

how dare you call someone a rube on the internet, how disgusting!

At least it wasn't knob, thats a permaban.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I pray for your safety after merely typing the word

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Samurai just looks entirely uninteresting to me even though it's probably going to be hitting for 25,000 by the end of the expansion. Red Mage however looks cool as hell, though I'm not sure why gap closers/makers need to be a part of its skill set when generally speaking, right behind an enemy is as safe a place as any by necessity. The only time I don't park up in the rear end area of a boss is if I'm going to get targetted by AoE which makes melee DPS' jobs harder work or if I'm BLM so they're not in my Ley Lines.

The dualcast status will wear off if you autoatack. So you need to be out of mele range of your target or risk messing up your casting.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Astroniomix posted:

The dualcast status will wear off if you autoatack. So you need to be out of mele range of your target or risk messing up your casting.

I heard conflicting reports on that regarding autoattack. It won't be hard to test out, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

Supposedly it wears off if you use a weaponskill, not if you auto-attack.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Lemon King posted:

Hildebrand is simply the best questline FFXIV has to offer. Onward!

You would make a japanese Kei band blush with that color scheme 12/10

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mistaya posted:

Oh god I hope there's starter gear for the SB jobs because I haven't really played much since like 2.1 and there's no way I could gear up a RDM.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Even if there isn't, you can just buy some ilvl 115 stuff in Ishgard. I think it runs in the 20-25k per piece range, and if you're at the point where "what am I going to put on my Red Mage," that shouldn't be an onerous cost. But I'm pretty sure you'll get some ilvl 90 gear, like the other jobs got for hitting 50.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

They could potentially put a left side gear set in the unlock quest for SAM and RDM, but I would bet against them providing the right side.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

always fun when you rock up to the chocobo race desk and get drawn into a race with another player and you win so hard that they start avoiding entering so they don't get dusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is swiftcast going to be used as a rotational tool in the RDM kit or just as utility?

• Locked thread