Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
There's a bunch of good Vallejo colours.

If I didn't go scale, I would've gone with them.

Vallejo smoke is a god level colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Yeah I'm debating going more towards Vallejo too. I need to pick up a lot of new paints and they are a $1 cheaper per pot than GW. I'm more used to using GW though and they fit upright in my storage, while I have to lay Vallejo bottles on their side (is there any issue with storing them this way?). That being said, have a few Vall I use now and like them a lot.

If anyone is in the Chicago area check out Chicagoland Games - they have GW, Vallejo, Reaper, and P3 iirc all in stock.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 11, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm gonna stick with my ample collection of reaper paints for brush work, I like 'em, but they have more options of vallejo's air colors than I have paints altogether. I really don't need to double my paint collection! But I want to. So bad.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

For that kind of stuff it helps to scour amazon and ebay for things labeled as "toy," "jewelry," "ornament" or sometimes "beads." Not sure if this scale is right but it's a start.
Good call, thanks.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
You can use your existing paints too. I use a mix of acrylic liquid matte medium, distilled water (mostly because they just dump bags of chlorine into the water here), and a bit of flow improver. I just prefer mixing my own since I don't want to double up on colours. It's literally 2-5 drops of paint into the airbrush cup filled with that mixture, and that's enough to paint a while squad or tank with.

Or if money doesn't matter, go wild!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I've got this new paint scheme I'm working on for Tyranids and I'm thinking of how I want to do some genestealer cultists and astra militarum to match.

One thing I kinda want to do is make some of the GSC and Guard armors look kinda like bright yellow dive suits.

I'm kinda afraid of painting bright yellow though. Also, I don't really want that flat orange-yellow like Imperial Fists. I want something more like 80s super neon reflective yellow-green.

I'm thinking kinda bright canary yellow for the base and then doing a kinda bright green for the edge highlights. Anybody have any particular ideas or suggestions? I don't want to have to make a bunch of mistakes and then strip the models and start over.

Basically this:

mixed with this

Or really, this is what I'm going for:

TFTD army :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 11, 2017

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Prime your GSC minis yellow (or a hue that matches your semi-green colour) and shade the yellow bits with an appropriate wash. Then you just need to be really careful not to splash any paint from the non-yellow areas onto your already-done bits.

Edit: And TFTD GSC is the raddest idea :allears:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

They will be on the same side as the lobstermen though. This is confusing me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HardCoil posted:

They will be on the same side as the lobstermen though. This is confusing me.

They got beaten by the lobstermen and turned into deep ones, which in TFTD canon were biological hybrids created by the aliens. Or calcinites, which are aliens in human suits.

Or they're gillmen, which were an offshoot of humans, wearing human armor.

And my Magus is gonna be an Aquatoid basically :)

ineptmule posted:

Prime your GSC minis yellow (or a hue that matches your semi-green colour) and shade the yellow bits with an appropriate wash. Then you just need to be really careful not to splash any paint from the non-yellow areas onto your already-done bits.

Edit: And TFTD GSC is the raddest idea :allears:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I swear Vallejo makes a safety-yellow paint

Edit: yup, Model Colour Fluro Yellow

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 11, 2017

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Is there an airbrush booth I can set up in my room without needing a huge tube sticking out the window?

Like, just a suction fan and a filter that I can change or whatever. I've moved house and want to bust out the airbrush but my workspace has carpets and bed linen not too far away but the window across the other side of the room.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zaphod42 posted:

So I've got this new paint scheme I'm working on for Tyranids and I'm thinking of how I want to do some genestealer cultists and astra militarum to match.

One thing I kinda want to do is make some of the GSC and Guard armors look kinda like bright yellow dive suits.

I'm kinda afraid of painting bright yellow though. Also, I don't really want that flat orange-yellow like Imperial Fists. I want something more like 80s super neon reflective yellow-green.

I'm thinking kinda bright canary yellow for the base and then doing a kinda bright green for the edge highlights. Anybody have any particular ideas or suggestions? I don't want to have to make a bunch of mistakes and then strip the models and start over.

Basically this:

mixed with this

Or really, this is what I'm going for:

TFTD army :)

I can't find the pics right now to show, but I did do some similar with some spaceships. The trick is that if you have a nice dark contrast like that video game picture, you can trick the eye into thinking the yellows and greens are much brighter than they actually are. I think I even used a rather dark mustard yellow and some turquoise to brighter yellow/green that didn't need neons at all. I'm pretty sure that video game pic is the same. Zoomed in without the black, the green and yellow don't actually look that bright.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Miles O'Brian posted:

Is there an airbrush booth I can set up in my room without needing a huge tube sticking out the window?

Like, just a suction fan and a filter that I can change or whatever. I've moved house and want to bust out the airbrush but my workspace has carpets and bed linen not too far away but the window across the other side of the room.

I have the same eBay foldable thing as almost everyone else. I think with the two layers of filter, the fan running and wearing a mask the tube isn't needed. As long as you're spraying safe acrylics like GW or something. Its catching all the particulate poo poo in the filter and there are no nasty solvents to want to vent out of the tube.

Your mileage may vary. Not a scientist. Not legal advice, etc.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
How bad an idea is this compressor?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So just got back into the hobby and this is my first miniature painted in what, six years? I know it's got some touching up that needs to be done but just wanted to show it off for now.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

grassy gnoll posted:

Looks like most run-of-the-mill tank compressors. I have one similar to that, without the built-in airbrushes on the top. It's lasted me well over two years of regular use so it seems like it'd be a solid enough purchase.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

TTerrible posted:

I have the same eBay foldable thing as almost everyone else. I think with the two layers of filter, the fan running and wearing a mask the tube isn't needed. As long as you're spraying safe acrylics like GW or something. Its catching all the particulate poo poo in the filter and there are no nasty solvents to want to vent out of the tube.

Your mileage may vary. Not a scientist. Not legal advice, etc.

Yeah, the filter should be fine for acrylics. Extraction is only important for vapors from organic solvents. I'm thinking about tweaking the fan though. It's loud but pretty ineficient.

I am a scientist, but still have no idea of what I'm doing.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Finally finished up my first Kings of War Dwarf regiment. Any feedback is welcome! Sorry for the garbage photo quality - it's just a sheet of newsprint under my work area lamps.

link to massive image

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I swear Vallejo makes a safety-yellow paint

Edit: yup, Model Colour Fluro Yellow

Finally getting me to go beyond Citadel paints. That's too perfect though, so I've gotta get some...

Is there a good place to just order a single vallejo paint and not like a whole set? Can I get these at like Hobby Lobby or something?

E: Found exactly that one bottle on amazon for a decent price. Cool :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 11, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

Finally getting me to go beyond Citadel paints. That's too perfect though, so I've gotta get some...

Is there a good place to just order a single vallejo paint and not like a whole set? Can I get these at like Hobby Lobby or something?

E: Found exactly that one bottle on amazon for a decent price. Cool :)

Amazon is definitely my go-to for Vallejo.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Miniature Market has pretty good prices for Vallejo paints. I find it's cheaper on average than Amazon.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I still swear by theWarStore. They have all the paints.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

They got beaten by the lobstermen and turned into deep ones, which in TFTD canon were biological hybrids created by the aliens. Or calcinites, which are aliens in human suits.

Or they're gillmen, which were an offshoot of humans, wearing human armor.

And my Magus is gonna be an Aquatoid basically :)

Please keep us posted! I love X-Com and will probably do a similar themed Imperial Guard whenever I get tired of Orks.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Need some assistance please.

I'm trying to make some bases for the upcoming Death Guard from 40k. I'm going to be painting them green with exaggerated levels of contrast. I wanted to have a base with high contrast, so the idea was to make a barren rock / Martian landscape with pools of ooze. I did a test base, and while I'm happy with the ooze and rocks. The red/brown Martian earth looks bad to me. I can't figure out why. Any ideas on why it looks off and how to fix it?

Also, yeah the runestone thing looks awful. Ignore it, going to remove it, base doesn't need it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I've never used the 3 Vallejo fluro's I've got beyond doing some infinity LED strips, lamps etc.

The thought of an entire army is pretty :q:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blight Runner posted:

Please keep us posted! I love X-Com and will probably do a similar themed Imperial Guard whenever I get tired of Orks.

Yeah I'm already thinking I'll paint these Kasrkin I've had lying around forever like they're deep-sea diver suits :) They all have mouth respirators so its pretty perfect.

It'll be awhile though... I'm a very slow painter and I'm still finishing my Shadow War orks and starting work on the Tyranids scheme at the same time as trying to figure out what I'm doing with the GSCs. But will do!

Yeast posted:

I've never used the 3 Vallejo fluro's I've got beyond doing some infinity LED strips, lamps etc.

The thought of an entire army is pretty :q:

Found this googling around about fluro paints:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

Need some assistance please.

I'm trying to make some bases for the upcoming Death Guard from 40k. I'm going to be painting them green with exaggerated levels of contrast. I wanted to have a base with high contrast, so the idea was to make a barren rock / Martian landscape with pools of ooze. I did a test base, and while I'm happy with the ooze and rocks. The red/brown Martian earth looks bad to me. I can't figure out why. Any ideas on why it looks off and how to fix it?

I think it's a mixture of texture and finish more than anything. While there is some grit on it it's pretty smooth. Combine that with the fact that it's pretty glossy and what you've wound up with is something that looks less like barren rock and more like something organic, especially when also contrasted with the smaller grey rocks. I think knocking down the finish with some matte varnish and just going nuts with drybrushing to give it a really dusty look and better blend the soil with the rocks more would go a long way. From that point you could selectively brush on gloss varnish for the ooze. The whole thing is just a little too shiny is all.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
More 15mm

The wizard is a repaint, which I think was a mistake. Some of the detail was so fine I couldn't get the previous paint out and it made it hard repaint without making mistakes

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Amazon is definitely my go-to for Vallejo.

Am I looking at the wrong thing or are you actually paying $6-7 per bottle? :aaaaa: They were $3 and change locally the other day. Now I'm curious what everyone normally pays for Vallejo.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

HerrBrau posted:

Finally finished up my first Kings of War Dwarf regiment. Any feedback is welcome! Sorry for the garbage photo quality - it's just a sheet of newsprint under my work area lamps.

link to massive image

Bodged the light and colour balance for you:

Nice and clean, I'm not a huge fan of the models but you've done the best with a bad resource.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bad Munki posted:

Am I looking at the wrong thing or are you actually paying $6-7 per bottle? :aaaaa: They were $3 and change locally the other day. Now I'm curious what everyone normally pays for Vallejo.

Locally I have to drive an hour to get anywhere that likely won't have it in stock.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Southern Heel posted:

Nice and clean, I'm not a huge fan of the models but you've done the best with a bad resource.
Thanks! I agree, the Mantic Dwarfs are not amazing, but I feel like their lack of GW-level quality and detail gives them a certain nostalgic, 80s/90s fantasy, charm.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

The Master compressors work just fine. Like Slimnoid said, they are solid and should give you no problems.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got Vallejo Model Colour and Game Colour, and just got all the bits together for my airbrush. Do I need to buy Thinner, cleaner, flow improver, etc. to get started? Seems to be around £20 for all three.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ibblebibble posted:

So just got back into the hobby and this is my first miniature painted in what, six years? I know it's got some touching up that needs to be done but just wanted to show it off for now.

Gotta say that the free-handed(?) gold vines are very nice looking.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

I've got Vallejo Model Colour and Game Colour, and just got all the bits together for my airbrush. Do I need to buy Thinner, cleaner, flow improver, etc. to get started? Seems to be around £20 for all three.
Yeah. Get them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

LashLightning posted:

Gotta say that the free-handed(?) gold vines are very nice looking.

Thanks! Yep, they're freehanded and I'll be lucky if I'm able to get more in that quality. I'm planning on doing some intertwined black and gold ones on my farseer jetbike so I'll see if my skills hold out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Southern Heel posted:

Since you'll be using non-airbrush paints, you definitely want to thin them and use flow improver to avoid clogging the airbrush.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have much experience with the Neo for Iwawa CN Airbrushes? http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/neo-for-iwata-cn-gravity-feed-airbrush-0-35mm-nozzle

Thinking of picking one up to get a grip and learn to sit down with airbrushing. Anyone have much experience on this brand or recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Southern Heel posted:

Yeah, get them all. Pro-tip: save time by mixing your paints in the water cup and backflow air by pressing the tip against a soft cloth/towel. Put the thinner/flow improver in first and then add the paint. Paint should be added to the side of the cup instead of right onto the needle so the bubbling fluids can mix with it without clogging anything.