Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Adam Jensenposting isn't allowed, Mr. Threadposter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
BIG MEATY SHITS please tell us the game you would ask for.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TwingeCrag posted:

Adam Jensenposting isn't allowed, Mr. Threadposter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would mark that Yes box with a check.

Considering they actually playtested this edition and everything, with input from players I also would say its the game they asked for.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would mark that Yes box with a check.

Considering they actually playtested this edition and everything, with input from players I also would say its the game they asked for.

Right? They fixed every major complaint I had about the game with this update.

E; They appear to have. Still need to see how it all shakes out.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 11, 2017

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Let's argue about something else.

The doomsday ark kit is fine, guys. Subassemblies and dry fitting are your friend.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Got a link? I'm doing a commission of two boxes, and the client mentioned this chapter as a possible scheme.

Yep, it's this one.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Played two games today.

First was against my friend and his brother. He was Tyranids and his brother was Orks and both were up against me with generic Chaos. They completely creamed me because while I took plenty of melta for the big monsters and a predator with auto-cannons and heavy bolters, I didn't have nearly the volume of high-damage fire to take care of warriors, while all the Orks just kept running down the board merrily shooting inaccurate shots at me because I was too busy making GBS threads myself over the multiple carnifexes headed my way. I was able to use a deep-striking squad of terminators to completely obliterate a unit of three warriors in a single round of shooting with combi-meltas in dual mode, but he was just able to march the rest of his army away from me because terminators move really slowly. Ultimately ended up ceding the game because it was very clear that I was going to die horribly.

Second game I had Death Guard up against just Tyranids. I had more or less the same problem: not nearly enough rate of fire and my added toughness just delayed the inevitable. During the second turn I was able to get a daemon prince and a squad of spawn to loop around some terrain and attack his Old One Eye and Tyranid prime from behind, and completely killed both monsters only to find my dudes dead from retaliatory fire from the remaining two full squads of warriors. By the end of the game I just had a few plague marines stuck in a ripper swarm tar-pit and a useless unit of poxwalkers that slowly lumbered four inches a turn out of some dumb corner. Ceded the game again because he had me by the balls.

Tyranids are really loving scary now and Orks are not nearly as wimpy as they used to be. I really need to adjust my tactics so that I have a proper volume of mid-tier firepower, because I seriously need an efficient way to pop warriors and with instant death gone meltas just aren't cutting it anymore. Should I just load the gently caress up on auto-cannons? Maybe plasma with rapid fire?

goose willis fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 11, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Heavy Bolters. S5 still wounds most things on 3+, and AP-1 isn't the biggest thing in the world but it goes through t-shirts real well and will still make things with higher saves know they've been touched.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I'm seriously considering getting some centurion devastators or some bikes for volume of fire.

A bike squad of 3 bikes and an attack bike for about 200 points can carry 4 TL bolters, 2 plasmaguns, a combi plasma, and a heavy bolter, and in 8th can fire them all together. That's not bad. 3 scout bikes for 96 points gets you 3 TL bolters, 3 shotguns, and a combi plasma. 250 points for stock centurions gets you 3 heavy bolters and 6 hurricane bolters which is a ton of shots if you can deliver them to rapid fire range.

Alternatively, you can bring a heavy support detachment with a primaris psyker and 18 mortars for 200 points.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

Feel free to use any of these for the Guard/Astra Militarum

These are great, dude. What did you make the antennas out of?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Finally finished working on my ice themed board and played a little 8th on it tonight.

Really glad to have this thing done with. If I had to do it over I would have changed a lot, but I guess thats how you learn.

On a sadder note, while they are a little better, Harlequins still feel pretty weak. Was really hoping they would make Skyweavers good as I they are one of my favorite models in the game... they are kind of lackluster. Maybe I just need to figure them out better than tonight. But they turn one charged some dark reapers and the two of them barely killed one then the reapers fell back and they got shot to death.

Kingcobra
Mar 15, 2007

Ignore me, I'm just looking around.

TheChirurgeon posted:

:siren:TAKE PHOTOS OF YOUR MANS!:siren:

:siren:SUBFACTION PHOTOS:siren:

- Alpha Legion

Wrong era but here are some Alphas for consideration

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Yeast posted:

Feel free to use any of these for the Guard/Astra Militarum

These are :krad:

I *love* the FW Hellhounds. And the Leman Russ Tank Destroyer is sweet too.

Those are exactly what I've always wanted my Steel Legion to look like but :effort:

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
So two sets of marines from the new boxset is 1452~ points/70 pp. How awful is that for the base of a 1500 point army?
Obviously lacking stuff like armour/transports but curious to know thoughts from an existing player.

Part of me only wants to get the new truescale stuff and run it as primaris at the moment so I don't need as many models.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Why do you desperately want people to be disappointed by this game

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Nuln Oil is the greatest thing ever, oh my god.

It makes ork weapons just look so good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

It makes everything look insanely good. Its painting experience in a jar. :)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Soggy Chips posted:

So two sets of marines from the new boxset is 1452~ points/70 pp. How awful is that for the base of a 1500 point army?
Obviously lacking stuff like armour/transports but curious to know thoughts from an existing player.

Part of me only wants to get the new truescale stuff and run it as primaris at the moment so I don't need as many models.

It's a decent start for an infantry list. You have two squads with good plasma weapons, 2 squads of Bumble Marines to zip round the board and 4 squads to hold objectives and fight ordinary enemy dudes.

When they release biglynators next month or some other fire support stuff you may want to replace some of your stuff with that, but it's decent for casual games.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's a reason people call it Liquid Talent.

Anyway, what's the viability like on a footslogging Primaris army?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ayn Marx posted:

Why do you desperately want people to be disappointed by this game

He's got a bad case of Death Thread psychosis.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Absolutely. I love starting with a base of metal mixed with black and orange, hitting the edges with metal, and then using Nuln Oil to wrap it all together.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Had my 2nd game of 8th with my Wych Cult last night, guess I'll write up some thoughts on them.

Succubus is in a weird spot right now. The Archite Glaive got nerfed hard and with 4 attacks base the Succubus really struggles getting any real damage in. On the plus side she now gets to dodge bullets and has the same undeniable 6+ FNP all dark eldar have, so she actually has a snowball's chance in hell of surviving some shooting. Her reroll 1s to hit in the fight phase aura seems a lot weaker than many other auras but still works fine as long as she's in position to spread it out.

Wyches still feel like they can't kill much of anything. If you give them attack drugs you're still at S3 AP0. If you give them Strength drugs they're still A2 AP0. You can put a cheap weapon on the Hekatrix but at the price of 1 attack, as the wyches' second attack is tied to their standard weapon. Hydras help a little but mostly Wyches feel like they're there to provide you with the coinflip to deny fallback. Pretty much all Wych Cult units can't afford to take shooting and if the enemy front line just backs up a little to let their army unload on your now exposed T3 models, you're done.

Hellions actually feel pretty nice now. There's a lot of demand for a unit that can just barf out wounds and even though they have no AP, their S4 D2 attacks have shown to be remarkably reliable at piling on wounds. Unlike the Wyches their Helliarch also doesn't suffer from the stupid "let's tie their second attack to their weapon" shenanigans and gets 3 attacks base with the same cheap weapons the Hekatrix gets. Slap some attack drugs on these guys and most of the time they're the hammer to your Wyches' anvil. Just abuse the poo poo out the new more leniant cover rules because at T3 Sv5+ getting that measly cover bonus is the difference of life and death. Can also peace out from any combat to encircle the character who thought he was safe behind the combat and then immediately charge that character. Top priority target if you're playing against them in my opinion as relative to how easily they can be taken out, they are probably the units most capable of ruining your day.

Reavers looked horrible on paper but have actually been pretty useful in practice. Point for point they bring less offense than hellions but are more durable. Quick and easy to keep in cover, small Reaver units can deliver a Blaster shot and S4 AP-1 attacks pretty much anywhere you need. My 2nd favourite unit to absorb overwatch with. I honestly didn't expect these guys to stay in my lists in 8th but they're that perfect mix of just dangerous enough while being more annoying to get rid of than the rest of the army. One or two units will likely remain a staple for me.

Raiders were already my favourite model in all of 40k but now they might also be that on the table. It takes way more focus to bring one down now, which is true of other vehicles but probably the most meaningful when you're talking about the most fragile transport in the game. You can still lose one to concentrated fire before you get a turn but that's one, not all of them, like before. Now a key component of any wych charge, with wyches being able to disembark+move 11" away from the raider's nose, followed by the raider overtaking them with it's 14" and taking it's charge first to absorb overwatch. Hell, when I just didn't have the range for the wyches to charge or there was terrain in the way, I've just straight up charged the raider with the wyches still inside. They can just hop out in their next movement phase and join in the fun. Ofcourse, doing this it's important not to charge something that's just going to cut the raider in half with a bunch of d6 damage attacks and leave the wyches open to fire. Once you've delivered your Wyches, the Raider itself can either stick around to fight or leave to take cheeky shots. My games are now just non-stop Raiders charging poo poo, falling back, shooting poo poo and charging something else. It's great.

Venoms got a bit weird. Their thing used to be vomiting out splinter shots from a safe distance before closing in, now they need to be in blaster range to unload their full compliment. Got more survivable though, and although generally capable of doing everything a Raider can, I usually prefer to keep them out of combat. Threw some Trueborn in on a lark, made a nice mobile fire base. Stack splinter cannons on the occupants if you want and this thing will poo poo more needles than a Cactuar while moving at full speed.

That's all I've used enough to have anything to say about for now. Had a weird situation in my last game where I couldn't shoot my opponent's Cryptek as it was behind a line of Warriors that were in combat. The warriors are not a legal target to shoot at, but they were still the closest visible enemy unit so the Cryptek was protected by them. Funny stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Protecting characters by having a unit in CC that's closer is definitely a thing.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Protecting characters by having a unit in CC that's closer is definitely a thing.

Yeah I realized that the other day when my vanguard squad wanted to shoot at a broodlord, it was protected by some gaunts that were in combat and closer than it was so they couldn't shoot anything

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I have 2 lists. They are both cut and paste and go with the theme: drown them in Ork flesh.

GREEN TIDE FOOTSLOGGAS -- BATTALION DETACHMENT

HQs - 230
Warboss, PowerKlaw, Kustom Shoota, stikkbombs and attack squig = 84
Wierdboy, Weirdboy staff = 62

Troops - 1,043
Boyz x 30, Sluggas & choppas, Stikkbombs, Boss Nob, Power Klaw = 205
Boyz x 30, Shootas, Stikkbombs, 3x big shootas Boss Nob, Power Klaw = 223

Elites - 223
Nob with Waagh Banner, Waagh banner, Kustom Shoota, Stickbombs = 79
Painboy, urty syringe, powerklaw = 65

Grand total, 1,496

Plan - charge, move and advance with every unit. Hope to throw 1 unit up the board every turn with the weirdboy.

GREEN TIDE WITH ROKKIT PACKS --OUTRIDER DETACHMENT

- I don't have the models for this but it would be fun. Based on the premise - you can't kill 149 Orks in 1 turn.

HQs - 199
Warboss on bike, bike, 2 dakkaguns, stikkbombs, powerklaw,, attack squig – 111
Boss Zagstruk, da vulcha klaws, slugga, choppa, stickbombs - 88

FAST - 1299
30 Stormboyz, sluggas & choppas, Stikkbombs, Boss nob with Powerklaw 265
27 Stormboyz, sluggas & choppas, Stikkbombs, Boss nob with Powerklaw 241

Grand total – 1,498

Plan - charge, move and advance with every unit - but quicker. May be in combat turn 1, should be in combat turn 2.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 11, 2017

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Anyone know where I can get some vocasters that would look good on Mordians? I never bothered to give mine any and now it seems kind of required. I think the Catachan ones would work but I can't find them anywhere. I'm also toying with giving them bugles and having the voxcasters be buglers instead as Victoria Lamb offers a bugler conversion kit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Nobs w/ WAAAGH! Banners are 84 points because of their Kustom Shootas.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nobs w/ WAAAGH! Banners are 84 points because of their Kustom Shootas.

hmm, my leaked pages say the base model is 75 and Kustom shootas are 4 pts. I am a bit lost at this.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Raphus C posted:

I have 2 lists. They are both cut and paste and go with the theme: drown them in Ork flesh.

GREEN TIDE FOOTSLOGGAS -- BATTALION DETACHMENT

HQs - 230
Wierdboy, Weirdboy staff = 62

Troops - 1,043
Boyz x 30, Shootas, Stikkbombs, 3x big shootas Boss Nob, Power Klaw = 223

Elites - 223
Painboy, urty syringe, powerklaw = 65

Grand total, 1,496

Plan - charge, move and advance with every unit. Hope to throw 1 unit up the board every turn with the weirdboy.

GREEN TIDE WITH ROKKIT PACKS --OUTRIDER DETACHMENT

- I don't have the models for this but it would be fun. Based on the premise - you can't kill 149 Orks in 1 turn.

HQs - 199
Warboss on bike, bike, 2 dakkaguns, stikkbombs, powerklaw,, attack squig – 111
Boss Zagstruk, da vulcha klaws, slugga, choppa, stickbombs - 88

FAST - 1299
27 Stormboyz, sluggas & choppas, Stikkbombs, Boss nob with Powerklaw 241

Grand total – 1,498

Plan - charge, move and advance with every unit - but quicker. May be in combat turn 1, should be in combat turn 2.

I would nix the attack squigs, I think they only attack at S4. I would probably replace the banner nobz with a cheaper option too and use the saved points on more big shootas in your squads. I've found a few extra big shootas useful for extra pressure during the advance. Both lists will catch your opponents off guard at that point level, not unbeatable but its a oval office to deal with if you have a regular all comers list and aren't expecting it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raphus C posted:

hmm, my leaked pages say the base model is 75 and Kustom shootas are 4 pts. I am a bit lost at this.

Whoops. I read gud.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

krursk posted:

I would nix the attack squigs, I think they only attack at S4. I would probably replace the banner nobz with a cheaper option too and use the saved points on more big shootas in your squads. I've found a few extra big shootas useful for extra pressure during the advance. Both lists will catch your opponents off guard at that point level, not unbeatable but its a oval office to deal with if you have a regular all comers list and aren't expecting it.

Attack Squigs are free, and there's no such thing as a cheaper banner nob. The banners are great because they effectively give nearby units +1 attack. Big Shootas are great except that in this case he's going to be constantly advancing and that means it's unlikely they're going to kill anything.

The only thing I might change is to see if I can fit Ghaz in there.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Attack Squigs are free, and there's no such thing as a cheaper banner nob. The banners are great because they effectively give nearby units +1 attack. Big Shootas are great except that in this case he's going to be constantly advancing and that means it's unlikely they're going to kill anything.

The only thing I might change is to see if I can fit Ghaz in there.

Free attacks squigs, that's better then a black eye!. By cheaper banner nobz i mean drop them and grab something a bit cheaper like some painboys, banner nobz are very expensive for a priority sniper target that only earns its points after CC starts(edit: Choppa boys shouldn't need the +1 attack at 1500pts in those numbers anyway). The big shootas are range 36" assault 3 S5, so you can throw out a number of pot shots as you advance hitting on 6's, which may not sound like much but the ability to reach out and touch units as you otherwise advance has a value outside mathammer. Orks should be taking longshots anyway, boyz look at da lottery and rekon dey can win 'cause de oddz 'aint zero if ya play ya git!

krursk fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 11, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
:siren:POST PHOTOS OF YOUR MANS:siren:

Ok, BANNER UPDATE

Main Factions Still Needed: (NOTE: I May have forgotten one in this list. There's like 30 factions)
- Sisters of Battle
- Tau
- Genestealer Cults
- Space Wolves
- Adeptus Mechanicus/Skitarii
- Regular Old Basic rear end Space Marines
- Custodes
- Grey Knights
- Death Watch
- Ynnari
- Thousand Sons
- Death Guard
- Harlequins

I'm still looking for subfactions, so post those too.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Awesome. Lots of skill in here

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
For Tau:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

krursk posted:

Free attacks squigs, that's better then a black eye!. By cheaper banner nobz i mean drop them and grab something a bit cheaper like some painboys, banner nobz are very expensive for a priority sniper target that only earns its points after CC starts(edit: Choppa boys shouldn't need the +1 attack at 1500pts in those numbers anyway). The big shootas are range 36" assault 3 S5, so you can throw out a number of pot shots as you advance hitting on 6's, which may not sound like much but the ability to reach out and touch units as you otherwise advance has a value outside mathammer. Orks should be taking longshots anyway, boyz look at da lottery and rekon dey can win 'cause de oddz 'aint zero if ya play ya git!

There's a 14 point difference between a Painboy and banner nob. I can see the argument for shootas, and personally I think shootas on foot and choppas on battlewagons might be viable. That said if you're going to be running then it's in your best interest to hit as hard as possible in CC, and I think banner nobs are essential for that.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I think helbrutes might be my way to take on Tyranid warriors. They can march up eight inches a turn, firing off their multi-meltas, and then charge into combat and pop an entire warrior with each successful melee hit because their fists do a flat 3 damage instead of a roll.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

goose willis posted:

I was able to use a deep-striking squad of terminators to completely obliterate a unit of three warriors in a single round of shooting with combi-meltas in dual mode, but he was just able to march the rest of his army away from me because terminators move really slowly. Ultimately ended up ceding the game because it was very clear that I was going to die horribly.

Talk to me Goose, why didn't you deploy your teleport homer in the DZ and zippity zap back to it when all the Warriors ran away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Chaos terminators don't have teleport homers :ssh:

• Locked thread