Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a Vibe GT on Craigslist for $1500. hosed paint and high miles but still vaguely tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

~~real poo poo~~ post incoming, heads up.

Dudes i am real loving worried about my sisters. Apparently what they took out when the one went under the knife last week was some real rare, real virulent form of cancer. Like, prognosis even from stage 1 (which she was at) is not great. It's also got a strong hereditary component despite its rarity. I'm probably not really at risk (~96% of cases are ovarian), but I found out this info from my other sister. If you weren't aware, they are identical twins. Identical genes. Her voice was shaky telling me this.

If either of my sisters, who have busted their rear end to start their careers, worked hard to stay healthy, and supported me in my times of need, get taken away from us while my fat useless rear end is left behind.... I honestly don't know how I'd react.

I've been alternating between depression naps and just zoning out at the computer for the last 12 hours since finding all this out. I'm actually holding back tears worrying about all this. I just... I dunno, kinda needed to vent.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Enourmo posted:

Dudes i am real loving worried about my sisters. Apparently what they took out when the one went under the knife last week was some real rare, real virulent form of cancer. Like, prognosis even from stage 1 (which she was at) is not great. It's also got a strong hereditary component despite its rarity. I'm probably not really at risk (~96% of cases are ovarian), but I found out this info from my other sister. If you weren't aware, they are identical twins. Identical genes. Her voice was shaky telling me this.

If either of my sisters, who have busted their rear end to start their careers, worked hard to stay healthy, and supported me in my times of need, get taken away from us while my fat useless rear end is left behind.... I honestly don't know how I'd react.

I've been alternating between depression naps and just zoning out at the computer for the last 12 hours since finding all this out. I'm actually holding back tears worrying about all this. I just... I dunno, kinda needed to vent.

If you gotta vent, we're here for ya, man. What you need to do is be there for your sisters. Now I'm an only child so I really don't have that sibling bond with anyone. You need to do whatever your sisters need you to do and just be there for them. Whether it's doing favors (within your ability) or just listening, just be there. Obviously, I can't speak for other dudes here, but there are some Florida goons that probably aren't too far away.

Hang in there. You've stuck with the tough schooling so you're a better man than I. Stay strong brother.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
What's up with 3rd gen Supras? They seem oddly affordable for old RWD Japanese cars in NZ.

second question: is the 1G-GTE any good?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The 1G is a bit weak and has head gasket problems (some people say bad head design). The 7M-GTE is stronger but ate head gaskets from the factory because the original service manual said to torque the head bolts to something like 55 ft-lbs and the proper number was actually 75. Also if they've blown more than one head gasket at 55 ft-lbs you'll probably have to replace the OEM head bolts before you torque them to 75 ft-lbs.

e: This goes without saying but an automatic Mk3 Supra is NOT worth it. loving thing weighs 300+ pounds more.

e2: Actually thinking about it even the manual Mk3 Supra weighs a fuckload. Turbo variants up to 3400 lbs, and the 7M-GTE is only putting out 230 bhp.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 11, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'd stab myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver before buying anything with an automatic gearbox

but cursory googling seems to indicate that 3rd gen Supras are heavy as heck

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Don't care, I'd drive a manual mk3 Supra for the rest of my life if I could. By far one of my favorite cars ever. :swoon: (just uh... do the head gasket immediately, and do whatever work is required to keep it from popping again)

Some of us like our girls with meat on their bones.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If you gotta vent, we're here for ya, man. What you need to do is be there for your sisters.
Basically this.

But remember, they're actively looking for this with them both now, so straight away that's better than just coming into this cold, and hopefully means if they do find anything, they'll find it much earlier.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'd stab myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver before buying anything with an automatic gearbox

but cursory googling seems to indicate that 3rd gen Supras are heavy as heck

They are, yeah, like, base manual is 3000 pounds and it goes up from there...

Confession time: I don't know how to drive stick. I mean, I know the main concepts of how it works and I know how manual transmissions operate mechanically, but I have never actually driven one. If I didn't live in an apartment with limited parking I would probably go buy a cheap 90s Corolla or something with a manual and learn on that, and keep my Accord as a daily, but I only have one parking space and no room to work on a car or a cul-de-sac to putter around stalling the thing every fifty metres.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bicycle people, I call on you again. My wife has tried some new bikes and we're thinking of going that route. The two she likes best are:

Diamondback HaanJenn Metro, $550 at REI which means we'll get $50 back at the end of the year (https://www.rei.com/product/108765/diamondback-haanjenn-metro-womens-bike-2017)

Cannondale Quick 4, $500 at the local Trek store down from a normal ~$700 (here's the bike at REI https://www.rei.com/product/108565/cannondale-quick-4-bike-2017)

The Diamondback has disc brakes while the Cannondale has rim brakes. The Diamondback is 1x9 gearing while the Cannondale has 3x7. They're both quite light and comfortable. Is there a reason to go with one brand over the other? Are the disc brakes a big enough enticement to pick the Diamondback?

Discs certainly would be a positive to say the least tho the Cannondale has better other equipment (Not by much tho). Test ride both and whatever the preference will work. Also get fitted properly, it makes riding soo much better

quote:

What's up with 3rd gen Supras?

Someone isnt going to like this.... buuuut (apologies in advace )

Fat heavy turds in their day, years have not been kind to them to say the least.

Adiabatic posted:

Cant wait for the stories.

I want to know more too.

---

I'm not sure what beat the poo poo out of me more today - an hour lifting heavy poo poo at the gym or two hours whaling on a crashed WRX with a slide hammer to straighten it enough to disassembe. I'm going to be sore as gently caress tomorrow

gimpsuitjones posted:

Mostly I'm with you on that but the gen 4 Spec B Liberty's auto is ....... actually not bad. Given my hatred of autos that's probably saying something

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Got my bike yesterday.
The short gentle ride from the shop back showed how unfit I am so I'm looking forward to a bit of excercise going to/from work

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freelop posted:

Got my bike yesterday.
The short gentle ride from the shop back showed how unfit I am so I'm looking forward to a bit of excercise going to/from work

You are now one of us. Ride dat bike

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Some of us like our girls with meat on their bones.

Was at Cars and Coffee this morning and my Challenger sat next to a bunch of Camaros... yeah she is big boned but I love her.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kazinsal posted:

Confession time: I don't know how to drive stick. I mean, I know the main concepts of how it works and I know how manual transmissions operate mechanically, but I have never actually driven one.

Oh hey 18 year old me! Been awhile... over 20 years!

I went out and bought a beater that had 3 pedals, and had to figure out how to get myself home during rush hour. I'd attempted to drive manual a couple of times, with massive fail.

The hardest point is learning where the clutch begins to bite. It's a lot easier on something with a hydraulic clutch (the car I bought had a cable). Once you've figured out how to get it moving without stalling, the rest is easy. It took a couple of days of driving it as my full time car to get to where I wasn't stalling regularly and could shift without ripping the engine off of its mounts, and I have incredibly poor hand/eye coordination. I only knew the basics from watching my dad and a couple of friends do it.

I'm dead serious when I say the hard part is getting the car to move without either roasting the clutch or stalling the car. Every single car is different once it has some miles on it - you can put two identical cars side by side, that have had different owners, and the clutches will feel completely different between them. It takes me a couple of minutes to get used to the clutch in a different car. Just replacing the pedal assembly on my car (still on the original clutch) took a little bit of work to get used to.

For me, teaching myself was a lot easier than having a friend teach me. I got stressed out when friends tried to show me (more because they were bitching about me destroying the clutch if I didn't do exactly what they did); teaching myself was very much a "jump in the deep end and hope I don't die". I didn't die. The worst thing you're going to do, so long as you're cautious, is either stall the car out, or burn some rubber. Just try to focus on getting the car moving without slipping the clutch forever, and you'll figure out the rest fairly quickly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 11, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

gimpsuitjones posted:

What's up with 3rd gen Supras? They seem oddly affordable for old RWD Japanese cars in NZ.

They're grand tourers. Don't expect it to be light. think of it as the 6 series/sec competitor. .

Targas off make em a little flimsy, but targa! NA Autos were dogs. Double wishbone all around and TEMS was rad as gently caress. Plus dat dash.

I had 3.
NA auto
Turbo auto
NA manual. I'd own one again. Both it and the AW11 mr2.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I spent $250 to get my gas line fixed because gently caress spending my Saturday under my car when it's 90° and gorgeous outside

Drove it there and walked the three miles home and it was so nice to walk somewhere in the sun

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BigPaddy posted:

Was at Cars and Coffee this morning and my Challenger sat next to a bunch of Camaros... yeah she is big boned but I love her.

When I park next to Challengers and Camaros, I chuckle to myself that at one point people felt the E92 M3 was too big (primarily because the side impact crash safety wasn't 'two pieces of rigid cardboard' like in the E30).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dale Jr. money shifted his Cup car yesterday. :laugh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

https://twitter.com/PolComForum/status/873186390539988993

Theresa May being trolled hard by the police community on Twitter. loving gold.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Haha brutal

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://twitter.com/PolComForum/status/873186390539988993

Theresa May being trolled hard by the police community on Twitter. loving gold.

Without doing research, I'm guessing that she said something similar about a reduction in the budget/number of police officers? That would seem in line with what I know about her (dumb Colonial here. We have our own orange-utan to worry about).

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Bike chat, picked up my first mountain bike friday. Was hiking all this weekend so I haven't got to ride it yet. I think I will tomorrow after work though. I need to adjust the front derailleur, adjust shock pressures, and get new pedals. But there than that, I think its pretty solid.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Darchangel posted:

Without doing research, I'm guessing that she said something similar about a reduction in the budget/number of police officers? That would seem in line with what I know about her (dumb Colonial here. We have our own orange-utan to worry about).

Pretty much exactly that. Incidentally a reduction of 19000 police and policing staff is also the sort of thing you can easily point to when someone asks you the hard question of "so why weren't you tracking and monitoring this gentleman who hired a van, ran over some people and stabbed some others whilst shouting terrorist slogans after you'd been warned about him by foreign authorities". This leaves her looking pretty loving stupid.

E: she's comically hosed. This DUP garbage technically gives her the required numbers but she won't get a decent chunk of her own party voting how she wants while she entertains them so she either starts battles she can't win or only throws soft balls and gets nothing actually done.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 11, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seminal Flu posted:

Dale Jr. money shifted his Cup car yesterday. :laugh:

Please tell me there's video online and a swearing fit.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Late to the party, but congratulations on the weight loss Rhyno :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

Please tell me there's video online and a swearing fit.

No swearing fit, but he tore out his transmission today doing the exact same thing. :laugh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, watching the latest episode of Mighty Car Mods, and I bet there's going to be teeth gnashing from certain quarters about them building a straight-6 turbo Toyota drag car that isn't a TWOOO JAAAY ZEEE SWAP BRAHHH.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You mean something original? My word!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I woke up the cats laughing so hard at the engine reveal. How loving epic

And yes, you can genuinely use the stock bottom end for that hp easily, they are utter torque monsters too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Their entire engine build probably cost similar to what it'd cost me to get a standard but refreshed 2JZGTE and gearbox, too, so it makes perfect sense, but there's a real cult around them with people thinking they're the only big-power iteration of the engine format.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Being kicked out at 10.5 wasnt about the car, it was about Marty not being licenced to go that fast

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Uhm, am I really arguing with a guy that thinks Fiats are reliable in the recommend a car thread?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Late to the party, but congratulations on the weight loss Rhyno :)

Thank you!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Being kicked out at 10.5 wasnt about the car, it was about Marty not being licenced to go that fast
I know in the US there are rules about what safety kit you need at certain ETs, I assumed it was something like that. I'm not actually sure what the UK rules are.

nm posted:

Uhm, am I really arguing with a guy that thinks Fiats are reliable in the recommend a car thread?
Relative to what, though? That's always the question.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Could there be a more boring and unoriginal name for a next-gen console than the Xbox One X?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

I know in the US there are rules about what safety kit you need at certain ETs, I assumed it was something like that. I'm not actually sure what the UK rules are.

Relative to what, though? That's always the question.
A reliable CUV that isn't a 500X.
I believe he also brought up a Toyota Corolla as "not much less reliable than" example.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Quick question. Why don't fenders come "rolled"?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seminal Flu posted:

Could there be a more boring and unoriginal name for a next-gen console than the Xbox One X?

So it goes XBOX, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One Ten?

Better than just sticking an "s" on the end to ape Apple, I guess

nm
Jan 28, 2008

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Quick question. Why don't fenders come "rolled"?

Either the stamping is cheaper or the thicker bit serves a purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

So it goes XBOX, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One Ten?

Better than just sticking an "s" on the end to ape Apple, I guess

They already did that with the Xbox One S.

And in this case I'm sure they mean X as in XXXXXXTREEME

• Locked thread