Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snak posted:

I mean, most games have a completely identical story on a replay. Maybe a bit of dialogue is changed.

I'm actually not defending Until Dawn, because I found it really underwhelming and not particularly engaging. But what it does do, it does better than any other game that's attempted it.

It's not so much "wasted potential", as it is extremely resource expensive to provide truly branching paths. You'd basically have to make the content of a 20 hour game for a 5 hour game with significant story divergence, as well as have really good writers to map out a huge interconnected map of story outcomes.

It's a huge amount of work, and I really hope it does get done some day, but I'm not surprised at all that nothing has come close to actually doing that.

To be fair, Until Dawn is pretty much an interactive Slasher film and some of the big choices tend to end in brutal deaths rather than a general shift in story. Mike and Sam being unkillable until the finale is pretty clearly in service of the player of being able to actually reach the end of the game without locking themselves out prematurely, and even then the game will happily let them die right at the end. Nevermind the sheer insanity of coding all the possible permutations otherwise. Aside from those two, everyone else is perfectly capable of dying to bad things and having it stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
FYI Uncharted 4 is $19.99 for the next few days and coincides with the "Spend $100, get $15" deal that ends on 6/20.

Not sure what to expect from Sony on Monday night. I assume Spider-Man footage or gameplay? Maybe SuckerPunch's new, non-Infamous IP? TLOU 2 gameplay? Price drop on console hardware? I don't know if they could top stuff like TLG, Shenmue 3, and FF7 Remake finally being a thing and all announced at the same time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wandle Cax posted:

Hmm i don't like visual novel story games, let me start this visual story game and if it's not up to my standards within literally 3 seconds i tell you what I will not be happy

Yes exactly. Borderlands on the other hand didn't start with "oh my where am I???" then have me plod up a hill.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats exactly how borderlands started, and then the rest was basically a text adventure

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No it was a man being dragged by another dude having a concersation and it was visually interesting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

No it was a man being dragged by another dude having a concersation and it was visually interesting.

Unlike suddenly finding yourself amidst a raging cyclone with no memory of how you came to be there and just trying to survive from moment-to-moment amidst the flying debris.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

veni veni veni posted:

Wow. Prey is really loving hard and doesn't hold your hand much at all does it?

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah you are like tissue paper

veni veni veni posted:

Tissue paper with no guns and enemies that that have more heath than you.

I kind of like it. Feels like proper survival. It's pretty frustrating at times though.

How far are you? I found that by the time I got to the Arboretum you can pretty much handle yourself in most situations.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The difficulty curve in that game goes from "Everything can kill me :ohdear: " to "I can kill everything :getin: " pretty quickly, I thought. By the end, unless you went with a no mod run, you are either the Doom Marine or Corvo from Dishonored

Yeah, pretty much this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's interesting. I was just talking to a friend that said he felt like he was barely scraping by through the whole game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

That's interesting. I was just talking to a friend that said he felt like he was barely scraping by through the whole game.

Once you get the shotgun and a few upgrades, you will utterly ruin anything human-sized or smaller. Anything bigger goes pop from the fancy toy you can find in the Hardware Beam Lab...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like all the ideas of Love in a Dangerous Spacetime, but the fact that there is no way to skip dialog and I had to watch the whole intro movie is making me hate the experience of trying to play it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Did he not explore and only just follow the story objectives? You will be drowning in upgrades and weapons if you search every nook and cranny

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

veni veni veni posted:

When I mean handling yourself, you'll still find yourself in tense moments and stuff throughout most of the game. I'd say at around the 3/4 mark is when you realize you've pretty much turned into the guy from quake.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word.

How do I use these weapon upgrade kits?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Open the context menu on the weapon you want to upgrade (some can't be upgraded like the wrench)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks.

This game is actually pretty dang good. The demo really didn't do it any favors.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just caught the Battlefront 2 multiplayer trailer from today.

As someone who was a little Lukewarm (haha, pun, I did!) on Battlefront 1, this has me way more cautiously hyped up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Just caught the Battlefront 2 multiplayer trailer from today.

As someone who was a little Lukewarm (haha, pun, I did!) on Battlefront 1, this has me way more cautiously hyped up.

They'll have a free beta weekend this fall for sure too. I probably wont get it but ill play it for free

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I hope that the gacha stuff in Battlefront isn't as hosed as it sounds though. They've implied that you can just get straight up better versions of gear and abilities from loot crates

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you switch shoulders in horizon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just a random thought, but since Capcom only busts out ports of old games for the most part anymore, how about a PS4 version of Lost planet 2? That game was so good and underrated and it would be right in line with the Dragons Dogma re-release.

Digirat posted:

How do you switch shoulders in horizon

I don't think you can.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lakbay posted:

Did he not explore and only just follow the story objectives? You will be drowning in upgrades and weapons if you search every nook and cranny

It's a difficult balance to strike and I'm not sure what the solution is. How do you reward meticulous scroungers w/o making them overpowered or exploration becoming barely worth the effort?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I really need to see wtf HDR actually looks like. I have no frame of reference.
You have a million frames of reference as it's been spoofed in the gaming industry forever and was the precursor to this compounded tv fad,.

HDR; when you focus on close up things, far away things are more blurry.
HDR; vice versa.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
That is DOF . Depth of Field

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and it simply adds greater color depth to the image. There is less fuzziness to the darks and bright colors appear to pop more. It's the same way that listening to a high quality music file allows you to hear more contrasts among the individual instruments than a highly compressed MP3 does.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

I really need to see wtf HDR actually looks like. I have no frame of reference.
I see TVs advertising HDR in electronics stores but I dunno if the source material it is playing actually supports it.

Of course, nothing looks like the OLED sets they have though, where black is actually black and not just white with the blinds pulled.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Twibbit posted:

That is DOF . Depth of Field
You're totally right, I was confusing this from back in the source engine days.

But when I enable HDR on my phone's camera, blurry background, focused drunk guy selfie.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

revolther posted:

But when I enable HDR on my phone's camera, blurry background, focused drunk guy selfie.

Your phone is drunk too then.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HDR for cameras means it takes multiple photos at different exposures and then combines them, pulling out details in the dark and light areas that would otherwise be washed out. Since taking multiple photos takes longer than taking one photo, motion blur is exacerbated.

So it's a different process than display HDR but the term is being used similarly, in that it just means the product you're looking at has a range of light and dark that's closer to the human eye's perception

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
HDR for games in practice means the visual director can finally empty their blue balls and fill an olympic pool with their long grown Top Gear colour toning fantasies and not suffer colour banding due to poo poo bit depth in software.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Morby posted:

I don't know if they could top stuff like TLG, Shenmue 3, and FF7 Remake finally being a thing and all announced at the same time.

They can beat it by having more than 1 of the games they announce together come out before 2025. And if it's only the one I hope it's that Spiderman game. Probably the thing i'm looking forward to most at the Sony conference oddly enough.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIODgqUHxw

You just saw the best part of LiS, you're welcome

lol what is this

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Didn't the Witcher 2 have a middle chapter that could be one of two completely different paths based on your choices, and you wouldn't see anything from the other path at all

yea that was really cool. the only problem with it was that it was probably too ambitious for the sequel to follow up on because wild hunt basically ignores that entire segment of the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

lol what is this

It's the bit where Max comments that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is one of the best sci-fi films ever made and she doesn't care what anyone else says

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Commissar Ken posted:

They can beat it by having more than 1 of the games they announce together come out before 2025. And if it's only the one I hope it's that Spiderman game. Probably the thing i'm looking forward to most at the Sony conference oddly enough.

Agree on Spider-Man, but Shenmue and FF7 are kinda out of their control since it's up to their developers to get that done.

I just hope they have more surprises for us.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Sakurazuka posted:

It's the bit where Max comments that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is one of the best sci-fi films ever made and she doesn't care what anyone else says

max has dumb and bad opinions

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Morby posted:

Agree on Spider-Man, but Shenmue and FF7 are kinda out of their control since it's up to their developers to get that done.

I just hope they have more surprises for us.

Oh I agree. That's all on Square. They just kinda lumped FF7 and Shenmue and if I remember correctly mention Kingdom Hearts 3 and everyone started screaming that it was the best press conference ever... only those aren't coming out aaaaanytime soon. That being said if they were and they did announce them like that you'd be able to pinpoint a distinct uptick in nerd strokes for that single 2 hour period. Probably a good safety precaution they're not out earlier.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Can I use this PSN card to renew or will it not work because it's from a foreign country?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Psn-Pl...dIAAOSww9xZI6da

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Uncle w Benefits posted:

max has dumb and bad opinions

No Life is Strange fan would disagree with you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Bad and dumb things that Max likes: Final Fantasy Spirits Within, squirrels, Chloe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey

Squirrels are good