Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I've heard Comey's leaks are beneficent, and magnanimous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this kid is never getting laid.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

They're already relevant. How could they be even more relevant than relevant?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Night10194 posted:

I feel like 'And also gently caress Donny' is going to be a part of much of Europe's stump speeches for awhile.

As much as I love people dunking on Trump, I think this wave of anti-Trump sentiment is probably going to fuel anti-Americanism that will outlast Trump. It's hard to blame them since the American people elected Trump, but destroying these alliances is obviously a big part of what Putin wanted to accomplish in the first place. He's winning.

On the other hand, I guess Europeans loved Obama, so maybe we can fix things with another president like him. Our allies still have good reason to wonder about our stability and trustworthiness though, since we proved this is something we might do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually mad that he didn't call him a wanker. Go the distance, Jeremy!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nothus posted:

They're already relevant. How could they be even more relevant than relevant?

It doesn't make it less stupid an idea but that seems like the only word it could have been.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump basically won't be allowed back to western europe.

Is britain above doing something petty like taking his gold course?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Sinteres posted:

As much as I love people dunking on Trump, I think this wave of anti-Trump sentiment is probably going to fuel anti-Americanism that will outlast Trump. It's hard to blame them since the American people elected Trump, but destroying these alliances is obviously a big part of what Putin wanted to accomplish in the first place. He's winning.

On the other hand, I guess Europeans loved Obama, so maybe we can fix things with another president like him. Our allies still have good reason to wonder about our stability and trustworthiness though, since we proved this is something we might do.

Haha. That is an understatement. The brits loving hate Americans because of bush.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

Haha. That is an understatement. The brits loving hate Americans because of bush.

Yeah, Bush did a ton of damage to the US's reputation; Obama tried to repair that damage, but now Trump is here to gently caress things up even worse.

I don't envy the Dem who's going to have to clean up after Trump. :sigh:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Shifty Pony posted:

But there is a definite opposite effect where people see lovely or low effort design as more "authentic". This is why all those "I buy houses!" signs look like handwritten poo poo - most are actually mass produced instead of written in marker so they could be made to look good but that results in lower response rates.

Drudge also trades heavily on this.

Very true. But even those "low-effort" designs have more work put into them than you think. Even Drudge users visual hierarchy to its advantage. While polished design generally makes people trust things, like you said, it still depends on audience.

And overall, the important part is that the information is logically arranged -- Drudge is a bit of a mishmash, but even their layout is done in a very particular way, and their tone & voice is specific and consistent.

Brand identity goes a long way, too. But a good, successful identity requires a lot of consistency and willingness to follow the guidelines. Drudge is poo poo, but it works because they've stayed consistent, and know their audience very, very well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sinteres posted:

My hope is that more european countries will pull a Macron and start offering Americans refugee visas.

And by "my hope" i'm not being entirely rhetorical.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I hope like our government, the "investigation" the school is doing takes years before they just forget they were doing it anyway. (Better than reprinting it for people who can't keep their love for Trump out of anything)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

They shouldn't do this just because:
1. It feeds the persecution complex of the right.
2. Kids who make dumb uniformed decisions like this should be openly mocked by their peers for them.
3. It becomes a good reminder in 10 years for said kid about how dumb he used to be or at the very lease for said kid's acquaintances as proof on how he was and has always been an unremitting shitstain.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 11, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Wark Say posted:

I'm actually mad that he didn't call him a wanker. Go the distance, Jeremy!

Jam Man's too nice and old to do that. You gotta get some young blood to call Trump his own favorite word for women so he can cry about it on twitter.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Groovelord Neato posted:

this kid is never getting laid.

I'm sure Laci Green would slob his knob (and then post 20 tweets and a quick video about how she's low ing up dialogue).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump basically won't be allowed back to western europe.

Is britain above doing something petty like taking his gold course?

Go a step further, heavily tax it to where he has to close it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

AlternateNu posted:

2. Kids who make dumb uniformed decisions like this should be openly mocked by their peers for them.
3. It becomes a good reminder in 10 years for said kid about how dumb he used to be or at the very lease for said kid's acquaintances as proof on how he was and has always been an unremitting shitstain.

Yea, blocking it out was a mistake. There needs to be a permanent record of every person who was on board with this poo poo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So did Trump say he's cancelling his U.K. trip just for the chance they don't allow him to come, so he can use the "Well I wasn't going anyway" first?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

At least when I went to High School all the work was done by student volunteers. This seems more like a student-student thing than a student-admin thing.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Europe is too far away for me, a provincial American homebody that only speaks the One True Language.

But if Canada were to offer some big, fat moving bonuses for people in my field...

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 11, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

sharkbomb posted:

Europe is too far away for me, a provincial American homebody that only speaks the One True Language.

But if Canada were to offer to some big, fat moving bonuses for people in my field...

I heard an NPR report the other day on how Canada is moving to up the number of technical visas they're going to offer to Americans who want to flee the blighting.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

I'm sure Laci Green would slob his knob (and then post 20 tweets and a quick video about how she's low ing up dialogue).

I had to read up on this person. Holy crap, I regret all of it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

there is nothing that can stop the persecution complex of the right so you might as well amp up the persecution

these are people who think they're being persecuted anytime they don't get their way

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Raylen posted:

I had to read up on this person. Holy crap, I regret all of it.

I took a similar trip down the internet hole and feel the same way

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I would move to Europe. I would help the jam man.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

I heard an NPR report the other day on how Canada is moving to up the number of technical visas they're going to offer to Americans who want to flee the blighting.

When September comes and I hit 5 years of work experience in my field, I have enough points for an Aussie visa. I'm also bringing some paperwork to the German embassy near me to see if I can get some guidance on whether I qualify for German citizenship under the restoration laws.

Which is to say, I'm investigating my options.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

Jam Man's too nice and old to do that. You gotta get some young blood to call Trump his own favorite word for women so he can cry about it on twitter.
oval office? Or is it Bitch? So hard to keep up with Easy D these days.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh and by the way if you work online or don't care about trying to work, or just wanna ride the next three point five out teaching English for almost zero money, it's not that hard to do the "perpetual tourist" thing in Costa Rica or Nicaragua.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Sinteres posted:

We were pretty loathed abroad during the Bush years, it'll be fine once Trump is out of office.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

Dunno. There's the government-to-government relationships and also public sentiment. How much damage Trump will do to the former is unclear. As far as the latter, I remember traveling abroad during the Bush years and you could occasionally get some real and threatening anti-Americanism directed at you. The invasion of Iraq was a big part of this.

I don't know whether that's happening with Trump; since the fact was that Americans did rally around Bush until Katrina and the second-term funk set in. A majority of Americans disapprove of Trump so strongly they're in the hate his loving guts category, and I think people in other countries see Trump as part of a broader phenomenon, and they make a distinction between him and Americans more broadly.

At least this distinction is relative to the really bad anti-Americanism that occurred when Bush was president.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xae posted:

At least when I went to High School all the work was done by student volunteers. This seems more like a student-student thing than a student-admin thing.

At most schools now most stuff is through a company like life-touch where the company that takes the school photos retains the rights to them and gives the school limited access to the raw photos because the photographers come in for free or near free and then make money when kids buy 400 dollar photo packages so schools were getting the photographers to come in for free then just printing the files themselves. So now the only direct access the school gets to the photos is small 256 color gifs, and an online yearbook editor that keeps all the photos inside flash players with watermarks all over them to make sure you don't right click save as or screenshot the photos. (which sucks because there is a whole ecosystem of school stuff that is based around importing photos from the yearbook like student management software and lunch line stuff and whatever student tracking stuff that would want a picture.)

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Trump is going to keep hammering this leaker stuff until it loses all actual meaning and becomes another coded word like fake news. He's really good at bending reality.

And that's why I really really want him to be forced to make statements under oath.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

I've heard Comey's leaks are beneficent, and magnanimous

What is this from? It's ringing a bell with me.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Still waiting for the day the press is bold enough to ask him for dictionary definitions of words, where China is on a map, and when he is going to build the wall.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xae posted:

Nah, this sort of things happens all the time with the admin will censor whatever shirt the student is wearing, it just usually happens to people that the right wing wates so they don't kick up a fuss about it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

paternity suitor posted:

He's really good at bending reality.

He's not really good at it though, he is unpopular at a virtually unprecedented level. His overall popularity is overwhelmingly bad, his popularity with 'independents" is almost as bad as it is with democrats which is like the opposite of how it's been every other year ever where independent usually means "I'm a republican but I don't want to say it" and his support among conservatives is at an all time low.

Nothing about his lies are working on people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He's not really good at it though, he is unpopular at a virtually unprecedented level. His overall popularity is overwhelmingly bad, his popularity with 'independents" is almost as bad as it is with democrats which is like the opposite of how it's been every other year ever where independent usually means "I'm a republican but I don't want to say it" and his support among conservatives is at an all time low.

His poo poo only worked when he had the entire media going 'Well we can't call it untrue that'd be unfair' and also 'Especially with known liar who always lies and has emails Clinton around!'

It doesn't work very well at all anymore.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

i'd adjust this and say they're working extraordinarily - dangerously - well, just on a pretty small percentage of the population.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

skylined! posted:

i'd adjust this and say they're working extraordinarily - dangerously - well, just on a pretty small percentage of the population.

Yeah, he's still playing to his base which is loving weird because if voter turnout for the left increases in 2018, the GOP is going to lose their majorities.

e: if anything, this is helping to add fuel to the "resistance". He's ignoring large swaths of the electorate to further his grand conspiracy theories about the deep state and obstructionist Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The howling atavistic CHUDs are never coming back to reality. That rock-solid support from old racists Trump has is going to stay screaming and crazy.

• Locked thread