Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm trying to read this and I can't even understand what he said there, can someone enlighten me.

It really honestly seems like he thinks he was asked "did you put someone under oath to make them swear loyalty to you under oath" which is absolute nonsense, but " Who would ask a man to pledge allegiance under oath?" seriously seems like what he thought he was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

When you have to ask this question over and over the answer starts to emerge.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

https://youtu.be/JTqOqNqRyiI
Louie Gohmert calls for mass firings at the DOJ.

"We need to round up everybody [James Comey] talked to because they were all conspiring against the president and all conspiring against their oath of office, conspiring against their own employment agreement."

"We have a conspiracy remaining afoot in the Department of Justice that is going to be out to destroy this president and they’ve got to be fired, if not worse."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

gently caress yeah. I want Mueller to get fired as badly as I want Sessions to get fired. But for totally different reasons. :unsmigghh:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Serfer posted:

https://youtu.be/JTqOqNqRyiI
Louie Gohmert calls for mass firings at the DOJ.

"We need to round up everybody [James Comey] talked to because they were all conspiring against the president and all conspiring against their oath of office, conspiring against their own employment agreement."

"We have a conspiracy remaining afoot in the Department of Justice that is going to be out to destroy this president and they’ve got to be fired, if not worse."

This is either hilarious or absolutely terrifying. I can't tell anymore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So... uh, what happens if he fires Mueller? Obviously it makes him look guilty as poo poo, but surely there isn't someone on the planet who thinks he's innocent, just those who want to forgive him for his crimes.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I can't wait for Louie Gohmert to be president. With Paul LePage as VP.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

This is either hilarious or absolutely terrifying. I can't tell anymore.

It's not terrifying, it's exciting as hell. Every person they fire would potentially become an incredible source for the media. I mean Comey's firing pissed off MANY people at the FBI, even though the FBI is traditionally conservative. Think about what would happen if there was some sort of mass purge at the DOJ.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Gort posted:

So... uh, what happens if he fires Mueller? Obviously it makes him look guilty as poo poo, but surely there isn't someone on the planet who thinks he's innocent, just those who want to forgive him for his crimes.

They dont want to forgive him, they want to use him to advance their lovely tax agenda and terrible people-killing healthcare reform.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gort posted:

Paul Ryan tells us he's just not used to our modern ways because he is still Unfrozen Caveman President.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gort posted:

The DOJ would need to appoint another Special Counsel.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gort posted:

What happens if Trump literally does the exact same thing that Nixon did before his tapes were discovered? Probably a massive loss in 2018 followed by impeachment proceedings. Nixon wasn't insta-impeached after the Saturday Night Massacre, but it was the point where the public collectively went "oh I see, you are guilty as hell, aren't you"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigel posted:

What happens if Trump literally does the exact same thing that Nixon did before his tapes were discovered? Probably a massive loss in 2018 followed by impeachment proceedings. Nixon wasn't insta-impeached after the Saturday Night Massacre, but it was the point where the public collectively went "oh I see, you are guilty as hell, aren't you"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure firing the Special Counsel that like 78% of the US really loving wanted appointed because they don't trust the GOP to do this (regardless of if they think he's innocent) would be a final straw with the public.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure firing the Special Counsel that like 78% of the US really loving wanted appointed because they don't trust the GOP to do this (regardless of if they think he's innocent) would be a final straw with the public.

Mueller is also a Republican appointed by Dubya and served as FBI director for a dozen years, he has an impeccable reputation. Plus, there have been zero leaks or public action taken by the Special Counsel and staff so far.

Trump firing Mueller would be the worst possible optics, he couldn't even use a fig leaf excuse like he did with Comey. It would be nakedly to quash the Russia investigation.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

They also can't really do much to smear him, IIRC, because he was one of their top candidates to become the new FBI director.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rigel posted:

We've arguably already hit that point with Coney's firing. The problem is we're much more partisan now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It would generate a small bit of positive press to come out ahead of the issue and state that they intend to maintain the integrity of the judicial process but I guess the administration is allergic to the idea.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pellisworth posted:

Mueller is also a Republican appointed by Dubya and served as FBI director for a dozen years, he has an impeccable reputation. Plus, there have been zero leaks or public action taken by the Special Counsel and staff so far.

Trump firing Mueller would be the worst possible optics, he couldn't even use a fig leaf excuse like he did with Comey. It would be nakedly to quash the Russia investigation.

Look at you trying to use logic. If the GOP/Trump had used logic we wouldn't have even gotten to this point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Buca di Bepis posted:

It would generate a small bit of positive press to come out ahead of the issue and state that they intend to maintain the integrity of the judicial process but I guess the administration is allergic to the idea.

My dream is that Trump fires Sessions for not firing Mueller, not understanding that Sessions can't do that at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he will do it because a spasm in his slowly melting brain says he should. so he will if he can. my honest guess is he will get mad at try to sue comey for defamation.

So what else has been happing? i have been doing stuff and watching e3. so what else has happend?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he will do it because a spasm in his slowly melting brain says he should. so he will if he can. my honest guess is he will get mad at try to sue comey for defamation.

So what else has been happing? i have been doing stuff and watching e3. so what else has happend?

nothing's happened, Trump is golfing, wait for the early a.m. tweet dump tomorrow

he's no joke at his NJ club again this weekend

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Re: Mueller

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I wonder if there's anything Trump can say or do that would make Pence bail out of the administration because the risk of career damage exceeds the odds of being the successor after resignation/impeachment. Because that would be goddamned beautiful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I wonder if there's anything Trump can say or do that would make Pence bail out of the administration because the risk of career damage exceeds the odds of being the successor after resignation/impeachment. Because that would be goddamned beautiful.

Pence doesn't have any other options, he's hated in his home state. It's Trump admin or nothing for him at this point, he won't jump ship.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
are you kidding me he's 58 years old and wealthy and probably will be president this time next year

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We've arguably already hit that point with Coney's firing. The problem is we're much more partisan now.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/61-percent-trump-fired-comey-protect-poll/story?id=47864899

most people think he fired comey because of the russia investigation, 61%. There is a narrative of "nothing matters" but actual polls show people care at least a little and there isn't a huge public just ignoring this stuff.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Trump would win the high score of speedrunning the Nixon presidency.

He probably wouldn't get impeached or anything but he'd look stupid and guilty as hell to everyone.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Kill his horse?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Trump straight up would not pass the citizenship test

Irrelevant, because he would easily qualify for a mental disability waiver. (Our President has a broken brain.)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Oh yes, no message except the same they've been saying for 8 years now, and I find it funny you're bitching that they're obstructing when you guys control the whole government.
Of course he never bitched about obstruction when Republicans literally followed one rule; refuse anything democrats put forward

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Why in the world does anybody think anything would happen if Trump fired Mueller

Everyone would be deeply troubled but they'd just keep cycling new people in until they closed the trial lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pellisworth posted:

nothing's happened, Trump is golfing, wait for the early a.m. tweet dump tomorrow

he's no joke at his NJ club again this weekend

lol. what a lazy gently caress. i saw the sessions poo poo and him gurgling about testyfying and sessions backing out and qatar escalating. but i am trying to take a brake.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Gort posted:

All the responsible Republican in Congress release a statement that they're very concerned and troubled by this.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
See, that's what I think. If Trumps supporters actually cared about the law they wouldn't have voted for a rapist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if fox news didn't exist trump'd be at <20 approval rating (and yeah i know he wouldn't be prez if fox news didn't exist).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

That looks like Trump and his lawyer maneuvering to use staffers as scapegoats.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wonder if Republicans would care more about an Ossoff win in GA than if Trump blatantly fired Mueller to hinder the investigation.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Mr Interweb posted:

I think Sikhs area literally the only people from a major religion that don't seem to have any real shitheads within their ranks. Totally anecdotal, but every Sikh person I've ever met was super nice, kind and generous. I mean, their religion actually advocates for peace and not just yammering on about it.

there are legitimate sikh terrorist groups:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/india/khalistan-terror-camp-running-in-canada-to-attack-punjab-justin-trudeau-govt-alerted_1889985.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Groovelord Neato posted:

if fox news didn't exist trump'd be at <20 approval rating (and yeah i know he wouldn't be prez if fox news didn't exist).

What's funny is, now that he's President, Fox news is fading into nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Why not? Only congress can hold the president accountable for anything, so he's basically above the law for now.

• Locked thread