Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Breetai posted:

And yet just 10 words to Norman and he doesn't need scans or any other kind of confirmation: he KNOWS that spidey's back, as surely as he knows 1+1=2.
It's amazing too because Norman's face is so well drawn you can just feel the hate coming off the page when he realizes. If anything that sells the reveal even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That page wouldn't work nearly as well without the quality art, it's doing the heavy lifting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Phy posted:

There's an issue of the Marvel Ren and Stimpy comic (written by Dan Slott!) that clowns on this whole sequence... Spidey's got to get out for his Aunt May, yes, but also his old English teacher Mr. Sheckley, Otto Flippa the Incan God of Ties (his head is an upside down Volkswagen), Pepe, Hans and Rita (three clipart bears), their kids....

Oh, and instead of buried in debris, he's crustied in a giant booger. Because it's a Ren and Stimpy comic.

It was also parodied by another comic... Damned if I can remember what it was called. Was about a group of utterly despicable teenage nerds.

Edit: Also, boo ^^^

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Keeshhound posted:

Honestly, you'd think the Avengers would do this poo poo on general principle.

"Alright, I'm glad everyone's finally made it. I'm going to have to ask that everyone hold still for about 8 seconds so that we can get a quick scan the room and compare your it to the last 12 times so that we can make sure no one here is actually a skrull, any other kind of shapeshifter/method of disguise, mind controlled, body swapped with a villain/friend/rival/whatever, a clone, a doombot, a clone of a doombot, a doombot of a clone or any further combination thereof, bugged or wearing some other kind of tracking/listening devices, here under duress, or for any other reason that is not voluntary, suffering some kind of mental breakdown, contaminated with a chemical/radiological/biological vector, rigged with any kind of explosive device or other antipersonel weapons, or actually just a bunch of squirrels in power armor, Tony."

"Dammit, we forgot to check for LMDs." :doh:

Calaveron posted:

This sequence is fantastic and I think it's only ever been homaged in one other thing, Batman Beyond of all things

Yeah, but "Spider-Man lifts something heavy off himself" is something Spider-Man writers keep going back to the well for, and I kinda wish they'd cut it out because it's never as good as the first time in #33.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-Batman was pretty cool.

"Wait, I like to talk too."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's amazing too because Norman's face is so well drawn you can just feel the hate coming off the page when he realizes. If anything that sells the reveal even more.

I see more than hate; I see fear. He knows he's about to get his rear end kicked.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-Batman was pretty cool.

I agree, Nightwing is one of my favorite characters.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Professor Wayne posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man did that pretty well, too. He's his normal, quippy self in all their previous fights. But when Spidey fights the Sinister Six in in his symbiote suit, he doesn't say a word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPBkEec-88

Which Doc Ock picks up on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kPiNzicKqk&t=42s

It was a good show.

I got my son for the summer this week. Because it's on Comcast's VOD service we shotgunned through both seasons of this the last couple days. It really is quite good.

Also however, one of its lower points has it do the scene in issue 33 above and completely no sell it. Like he's trapped under the machine for like 2 minutes before seeing unconscious Gwen, and pushing off a nondescript machine the size of a trailer home with no real fanfare.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
One of the best spider-man moments/stories/character-defining-thing is from one of the annuals (a few years back) where he returns the lost cell phone.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferrule posted:

One of the best spider-man moments/stories/character-defining-thing is from one of the annuals (a few years back) where he returns the lost cell phone.

I always love him representing his friendly neighborhood image.

There was also him beating the Juggernaut by repeatedly getting his rear end kicked until Juggs stumbled into cement. Parker luck dudes!

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Someone should post the panels of Spidey versus Colossus and Majik all cranked up on Phoenix during AvX.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus how deep are they pouring that cement

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

purple death ray posted:

forty feet down can't you read

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
For a building in Manhatten? Foundation piles dropped to the bedrock and then whatever else is needed for the building size. A dozen metres for a mat to top the piles?

e - Seems like a lot. Might be the age of the comic and building practices of the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Improperly reinforcing the concrete in the hope the building fails whenever a super hero right takes place nearby seems like a good insurance scam.

I wonder if OSHA has additional chapters in the Marvel Universe about proper use of super powers in a construction site.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder if OSHA has additional chapters in the Marvel Universe about proper use of super powers in a construction site.

Yes, it says "No. Please, no."

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I like how for every single badass panel in this thread there is at least half a page of people bitching and moaning about A. Ugh MANGA? Get that poo poo out here!/Man I'm so loving rad and cool I totally don't understand that Japanese comic bullshit :smug: B. How the panel actually sucks and is in no way badass or C. Wow violence sure is badass guys, heh, loving psycho nerd

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I like how for every single badass panel in this thread there is at least half a page of people bitching and moaning about A. Ugh MANGA? Get that poo poo out here!/Man I'm so loving rad and cool I totally don't understand that Japanese comic bullshit :smug: B. How the panel actually sucks and is in no way badass or C. Wow violence sure is badass guys, heh, loving psycho nerd

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

purple death ray posted:

I don't really know much about Juggernaut's power set, only that they've kind of flopped around between whether he's a mutant or powered by his magic crystal or whatever, but wouldn't being encased in cement kind of, you know, kill him real good? Not that death is ever more than a slight inconvenience, but seems a bit morbid for Spider-Man.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thaddius the Large posted:

I don't really know much about Juggernaut's power set, only that they've kind of flopped around between whether he's a mutant or powered by his magic crystal or whatever, but wouldn't being encased in cement kind of, you know, kill him real good? Not that death is ever more than a slight inconvenience, but seems a bit morbid for Spider-Man.

He's entirely magic-powered, and like he says in one of the panels (fourth from last), doesn't even need air.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

prefect posted:

He's entirely magic-powered, and like he says in one of the panels (fourth from last), doesn't even need air.

. . . Look, if you're expecting me to READ the thing I'm asking about, how am I supposed to expect you to pander to my obliviousness?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thaddius the Large posted:

. . . Look, if you're expecting me to READ the thing I'm asking about, how am I supposed to expect you to pander to my obliviousness?

Here's Thor firing Juggy into space.

Both of them being fairly badass, I think.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

TwoPair posted:

Yes, it says "No. Please, no."

Colossus only wanted to work alongside American comrades. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLjpr4cFIQw&t=12s

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

prefect posted:

So...Thor just got rid of Mjolnir? Good strategy jackass.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

prefect posted:

That was their second fight where he teams up with Excalibur, because Thor Planet Hulk'd Juggernaut the first time. Exile a super strong guy into space, and he takes over a planet.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there anyone better at fighting from underneath than Spider-Man? He is a great underdog.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SonicRulez posted:

Is there anyone better at fighting from underneath than Spider-Man? He is a great underdog.

Mole Man?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SonicRulez posted:

Puck.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SonicRulez posted:

Ant Man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Etrigan.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

UnderDog.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Does anyone remember that awesome set of panels from some viking comic (a manga I think?) where a dude agrees to suffer a hundred blows from some warrior in order to negotiate peace? I remember it ending with him battered and bruised saying something like 'I don't have any enemies'.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Catfishenfuego posted:

Does anyone remember that awesome set of panels from some viking comic (a manga I think?) where a dude agrees to suffer a hundred blows from some warrior in order to negotiate peace? I remember it ending with him battered and bruised saying something like 'I don't have any enemies'.

Vinland Saga. Don't have the panels.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Found it.

muscles like this! posted:

Was reading the manga series The Vinland Saga and came across something I thought was pretty badass. The series is mainly set during the Viking conquest of England and follows several characters, one of them is Thorfinn son of Thors who used to be a real killer. He spends a good chunk of the series on a quest for revenge only to have it taken away from him as the object of his revenge is killed. In his anger he attacks King Canute of England, who in revenge sells Thorfinn into slavery (lots of revenge going on.) This scene takes place years later as King Canute (who is now king of Denmark too) attacks the farming village Thorfinn has been living in as a slave. In the intervening years Thorfinn has renounced violence and is now trying to broker a peace between Canute and the landowner.
(remember, read right to left I also skipped some pages for brevity's sake)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Goddamn.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I must've stopped reading just before this happened, then. It's nice to see how far Thorfinn has come from being the bloodthirsty little poo poo he was at the start.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Oh. So that's how you Manga. It makes a lot more sense now.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Shovelmint posted:

Oh. So that's how you Manga. It makes a lot more sense now.

Whooo let's keep this gravy train rollin'

Issue 23 of Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo, from Marvel's color format publishing with english translation.

The Colonel has been shot a few times and is in a bad way. He decides to do something about it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'd post the Bartkira version, but I'm on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I remember glossing over those Vinland panels before and I'm loving dumb