Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dropbear posted:

I've had a lot of fun with my Unseen Elder devour deck; can't wait for the patch since a lot of the cards in it will get boosted. Any suggestions to this? Golds are obviously unoptimal, but I don't have the Kayrans etc. yet.

It's missing 1 silver. Not sure what to put in (the neutral lock-dwarf?), or what to take out (one ghoul probably).

Not sure if 2 or 3 nekker warriors is better; probably just 2? If I get only one in my starting hand I can dupe it with the Operator. Some games I've played 4+ warriors (operator, drawing one from the opponent with Caretaker) but then it gets tricky to eat them all properly. Might be worth it to just replace Operator, since it can't really help much with the other cards.

I also wonder if keeping 2 nekkers in your opening hand is generally worth it - if I keep only one and it gets locked & I don't draw another the main punch of the deck is gone, but if it doesn't get locked the backup one is pretty much just taking space until round 3.

Ghouls are a bit ehh. They boost the nekkers, but usually the random devour lands them around 6-9 power. What would be a good replacement for these? Wild hunt riders? Then again, the devour by itself might be worth them, hard to say.

The top row gets almost everything, so the archgriffons are handy in clearing weathers from it, and I can just ignore the other rows. Igni plays hell on it, though.

EDIT: As RatHat said, this melts Skellige. Eating their graveyard with ghouls & katakans & the caretaker has given me all of the Skellige games for a while now. :unsmigghh:

your missing silver is grave hag, and you should absolutely be running all three celaeno harpies. personally i also think devour decks without neckers are better than ones with them, but that's really up to you. devour decks basically need arachas behemoths though, i really don't think the archetype works that well without them.

for a devour deck, i'd probably start with a bronze base of something like this and then play a couple of games and see how it works out:
2x ekimmara
3x celaeno harpy
3x arachas
2x vran warrior (not super sure about these tbh)
2x arachas behemoth
1x archgriffin
1x first light
1x bloodcurdling roar
the idea is to use the arachas as your version of imperial golems. get a behemoth out at the start of r1, then trigger the consume effect, the behemoth spawns one arachas, which summons all three that are in your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

botany posted:

your missing silver is grave hag, and you should absolutely be running all three celaeno harpies. personally i also think devour decks without neckers are better than ones with them, but that's really up to you. devour decks basically need arachas behemoths though, i really don't think the archetype works that well without them.

for a devour deck, i'd probably start with a bronze base of something like this and then play a couple of games and see how it works out:
2x ekimmara
3x celaeno harpy
3x arachas
2x vran warrior (not super sure about these tbh)
2x arachas behemoth
1x archgriffin
1x first light
1x bloodcurdling roar
the idea is to use the arachas as your version of imperial golems. get a behemoth out at the start of r1, then trigger the consume effect, the behemoth spawns one arachas, which summons all three that are in your deck.

Thanks! I really should craft a water hag, true.
EDIT: No wait, you were talking about a grave hag; that's already in the picture.

The first versions of the deck I tried had Arachas & Behemoths, but removing them seemed to improve my winrate; mulliganing the spiders made getting a consistent starting hand a mess (might just be luck though). The third harpy might be worth it too; it gets tricky to eat all the eggs (this is pretty focused on pumping out & eating Nekkers), but at least the uneaten ones carry over anyways.

I'll fiddle around with it some more. Deckbuilding in this seems surprisingly complex; at times it really is tough to tell what would be an improvement over something else.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 10, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dropbear posted:

Thanks! I really should craft a grave hag, true. The first versions of the deck I tried had Arachas & Behemoths, but removing them seemed to improve my winrate; mulliganing the spiders made getting a consistent starting hand a mess (might just be luck though). The third harpy might be worth it too; it gets tricky to eat all the eggs (this is pretty focused on pumping out & eating Nekkers), but at least the uneaten ones carry over anyways.

I'll fiddle around with it some more. Deckbuilding in this seems surprisingly complex; at times it really is tough to tell what would be an improvement over something else.

it really is, and i fully admit i haven't really played around with the consume archetype too much yet, so i might be wrong about those things! the only thing i'm sure about is that grave hag is good, especially now while she still has the bug that using her ability has an internal consume trigger, so it activates arachas behemoth and nekkers. :eng101:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

botany posted:

it really is, and i fully admit i haven't really played around with the consume archetype too much yet, so i might be wrong about those things! the only thing i'm sure about is that grave hag is good, especially now while she still has the bug that using her ability has an internal consume trigger, so it activates arachas behemoth and nekkers. :eng101:

I've won some games with a gigantic grave hag, but it's difficult to play until the very end of round 3. Any earlier and it either doesn't do much (not much to eat in the graveyard yet) or gets killed somehow (only 2 health). It seems pretty good, but I can't really keep it in the opening hand and getting it as a round 2 draw is often a dud.

If the opponent casts fog / rain on it, does the weather kick in before or after the hag's selfbuff?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Is there any case where you'd run regular harpies alongside celano harpies? Some kind of non consume harpy madness where you want to trigger the deathwish on the eggs?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is there any case where you'd run regular harpies alongside celano harpies? Some kind of non consume harpy madness where you want to trigger the deathwish on the eggs?

I've been thinking of trying something like this, but I'm not sure if monsters have enough deathwish units to carry a deck. There's the harpies, earth elementals, the cow.. and I think that's it?

Operator could be used to dupe more egg harpies or elementals & the shadow silver card also triggers deathwish, so you could probably splurge quite a bit of fodder on the board. Weather would play hell on that, though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dropbear posted:

I've been thinking of trying something like this, but I'm not sure if monsters have enough deathwish units to carry a deck. There's the harpies, earth elementals, the cow.. and I think that's it?

Operator could be used to dupe more egg harpies or elementals & the shadow silver card also triggers deathwish, so you could probably splurge quite a bit of fodder on the board. Weather would play hell on that, though.

Nekkers deathwish is summon another nekker. Combo'd with nekker warrior to spawn more regular nekkers into your deck that you trigger with harpy deathwish? Nekkers only get boosted w/ consume though. Feels like way too much effort to set up for not much payoff compared to something like vran warrior just eating the harpy eggs.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Grave Hag is really bad, don't run it goons. Water Hag is where it's at.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dropbear posted:

I've had a lot of fun with my Unseen Elder devour deck; can't wait for the patch since a lot of the cards in it will get boosted. Any suggestions to this? Golds are obviously unoptimal, but I don't have the Kayrans etc. yet.

It's missing 1 silver. Not sure what to put in (the neutral lock-dwarf?), or what to take out (one ghoul probably).

Not sure if 2 or 3 nekker warriors is better; probably just 2? If I get only one in my starting hand I can dupe it with the Operator. Some games I've played 4+ warriors (operator, drawing one from the opponent with Caretaker) but then it gets tricky to eat them all properly. Might be worth it to just replace Operator, since it can't really help much with the other cards.

I also wonder if keeping 2 nekkers in your opening hand is generally worth it - if I keep only one and it gets locked & I don't draw another the main punch of the deck is gone, but if it doesn't get locked the backup one is pretty much just taking space until round 3.

Ghouls are a bit ehh. They boost the nekkers, but usually the random devour lands them around 6-9 power. What would be a good replacement for these? Wild hunt riders? Then again, the devour by itself might be worth them, hard to say.

The top row gets almost everything, so the archgriffons are handy in clearing weathers from it, and I can just ignore the other rows. Igni plays hell on it, though.

EDIT: As RatHat said, this melts Skellige. Eating their graveyard with ghouls & katakans & the caretaker has given me all of the Skellige games for a while now. :unsmigghh:

I pretty much exclusively play consume decks so here's my 2 cents.

This is my deck:

I have terrible luck opening kegs so its almost unchanged since the beginning of open beta. For what its worth I had around a 80% win rate at lower levels, more like 60% now that I'm up near level 20.

Thoughts:
-Ghouls only boost up to around 7-9 strength on average. Every once in a while they'll eat something important from your opponents graveyard but you can't really count on that. I think you're better off with arachas behemoths instead
-Cilantro harpies are your strongest bronze card, take 3
-Water Hag owns, you should craft it. She can be used to clear weather, lacerate, or cast torrential rain. Also she has a bug where she counts as consuming something so it activates nekkers/behemoths/ect
-Vran are situational, if you don't have other cards that synergize with them they're useless. I usually roll with 2 and rarely get a chance to play both.
-Giant toad is good as it essentially lets you mulligan a card and consume something

The tricky thing with consume decks is how many different cards they need in order to function properly. Ideally a starting hand looks something like this:
1x nekker
1x nekker warrior
1x vran
1-2x cilantro harpies
1x ekkimara
1-2x arachas behemoth
1x water hag
1x kayran

Strategy:
First round I usually don't bust out the consume assembly lines unless I can tell my opponent is going to go hard or they play a deck that needs to win the first round. Mainly I'm working on two things: duplicating nekkers, and setting up a buff ekkimara to carry over next round. You want to duplicate nekkers first thing as any you duplicate later will be created at base strength (2). Against weather decks I try and get them to waste as many of their weather cards as possible in the first round so they can't play them against my harpies in rounds 2 and 3. Always play your nekkers at the far right of your melee line so that harpies that spawn from eggs can deathwish-pull additional nekkers for you.

Normally I roll into round two with at least one 5-6 point nekker, a 8-12 point ekkimara, and a couple harpies. If you lost round one your opponent will likely concede round two pretty quickly, in which case you set up again to carry poo poo over into the final round. If you won round one then you set up your consume assembly lines and set them to work.

If you go to round three you want at least two nekkers out, if not three. These I'll often eat with my leader card, and if I have any more in my deck those will get pulled as well. Kayran gets played in round three obviously. I usually end up eating my archgriffen that I kept in my hand but ended up not needing. That will net you 25 points for the kayran, plus 5 more if he summons roach. Lastly I play the grave hag, you should have 15-20 units in your graveyard, which will put her at approx 17-22 strength. If all this goes correctly you should have at least 70 points on the board, most of it in gold cards.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Kawabata posted:

Grave Hag is really bad, don't run it goons. Water Hag is where it's at.

Grave Hag is a potentially 25+ point final play for a single silver in consume decks. Against Nilfgaard where there's another 5+ units in your graveyard due to spies, it's even better. If they have removal left by that point then yeah it might get killed before it can activate, but it is a very underrated and under the radar card.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Grave hag's strength is getting run with arachas. Without them, she's usually like, what, a 10-15 str silver?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Grave Hag is junk; there are way too many other silvers in monsters+neutrals that you would run instead to fill the 6 silver slots.

I guess you could use Grave Hag as a tech card in the niche scenario where you need to mill your own GY to protect it from your opponent, but you probably aren't getting much value out of it at that point.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Grave Hag is junk; there are way too many other silvers in monsters+neutrals that you would run instead to fill the 6 silver slots.

I guess you could use Grave Hag as a tech card in the niche scenario where you need to mill your own GY to protect it from your opponent, but you probably aren't getting much value out of it at that point.

There's definitely not in consume, though. There isn't a single silver (crones included) that can pull 25 on the last play like crones in consume can. Bekker's with setup can actually. But I don't think anything else can.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 10, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
for the record I meant water hag in my earlier posts, but i think people got that. grave hag is good pretty much only in decks that build around her. the best monster silvers are probably water hag and fiend.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

for the record I meant water hag in my earlier posts, but i think people got that. grave hag is good pretty much only in decks that build around her. the best monster silvers are probably water hag and fiend.

The silver elemental is much better than the fiend. And of course the Crones are probably too good to the point they honestly limit Monster's silver slots and picks.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

My consume deck does pretty well with this:

3 x Nekker
3 x Celeano Harpy
3 Vran Warrior
3 x Arachas Behemoth
3 x Arachas
2 x Ekimarra
2 x Clear Skies

Grave Hag
Water Hag
Decoy
Olgierd
Fiend
Insect Nest (a fourth behemoth, really)

Kayran
Caranthir
Triss Butterfly
Caretaker

I think that's about it. Triss is wonderful to either make huge eggs to munch, or boost six spiders. I normally can tank weather with tactical eats.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Electronico6 posted:

The silver elemental is much better than the fiend. And of course the Crones are probably too good to the point they honestly limit Monster's silver slots and picks.

you mean the fire elemental? that card is not better than fiend in any way. fiend is really, really good.

edit: and going to get better after the patch if they actually buff fiend to 7 points.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I don't know how casual MMR is calculated but every time I queue up lately I get an opponent who is top 100 on the global ladder, and they all play tier 1 decks. Am I going to have to make a new account if I just want to mess around a bit with fun decks.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Seedge posted:

My consume deck does pretty well with this:

3 x Nekker
3 x Celeano Harpy
3 Vran Warrior
3 x Arachas Behemoth
3 x Arachas
2 x Ekimarra
2 x Clear Skies

Grave Hag
Water Hag
Decoy
Olgierd
Fiend
Insect Nest (a fourth behemoth, really)

Kayran
Caranthir
Triss Butterfly
Caretaker

I think that's about it. Triss is wonderful to either make huge eggs to munch, or boost six spiders. I normally can tank weather with tactical eats.

that's a 29 card deck. don't play more than 25 cards.

edit: unless you have a superior draw mechanism. i actually think there might be some good nilfgaard decks with more than 25 cards, but for everyone else it just makes the deck more inconsistent

botany fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 10, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

you mean the fire elemental? that card is not better than fiend in any way. fiend is really, really good.

Yeah. In a meta filled with swingy over 20 str points openings and whatnot, with Monster lacking ways to shorten that gap(other than crones) the Fire Elemental is often 14 points, plus bodies for BTM. To get that kinda of value out of the fiend you need to hit a 20+ dude. Lock is nice but whatever.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'll be damned, I've climbed up from rank 11 to 13 with a non-standard Henselt Reaver deck. Here it is if anyone's looking for a cheaper version (or at least one without NR-specific golds).

On that note, the special end-of-season rewards are for being <#1000 on the GLOBAL ladder, right? Because I'm sitting at 701 in North America right now, but 5000-something globally.

Also do we know when this season actually ends?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It will probably be at the end of July

I'm hoping for some actual details about things we don't really known at the Q&A monday. Like maybe some singleplayer campaign deets and what not

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Season will probably end late July since they said seasons will last about 2 months. It might be a little longer since they might just change seasons with the launch of the game, which is nice and neat. I'm waiting for the meta to settle down and to find a deck I like before I try and climb.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
very briefly top 100 :woop:

skellige are my only weakness

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Send help I'm in dwarf hell.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Send help I'm in dwarf hell.

Ended friendship with Brokvar hunter

Now Auckes is my best friend

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Estraysian posted:

I don't know how casual MMR is calculated but every time I queue up lately I get an opponent who is top 100 on the global ladder, and they all play tier 1 decks. Am I going to have to make a new account if I just want to mess around a bit with fun decks.

I don't know if you are a newer account or not, but if you are, I found that once I hit rank 10, ranked matched me up with other scrubs still using geralt + triss, while casual had me play 5 games a row against netdeck skellige morkvarg.

If you are an older account or you are highly ranked and just want an alternative to ranked mode, disregard what I've said :v:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Got to 2800 and got my silver knight border. Now people will really know I'm hot poo poo at wizard poker

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Bekker's Twisted Mirror is the best silver in the current meta. Stealing the strength of some 20+ strength Brokvar Hunter, forcing your opponent to concede the round and then using Caretaker to steal his 30 strength Brokvar Hunter is probably the coolest thing i've done in this game and the thing that caused my opponent to concede the match the quickest i've ever seen. And no, I didn't get a GG.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Bekker's Twisted Mirror is the best silver in the current meta. Stealing the strength of some 20+ strength Brokvar Hunter, forcing your opponent to concede the round and then using Caretaker to steal his 30 strength Brokvar Hunter is probably the coolest thing i've done in this game and the thing that caused my opponent to concede the match the quickest i've ever seen. And no, I didn't get a GG.

Bekker's is ridiculously good against everyone but Nilfgaard, against whom it's merely great because of Peter Sar Douchebag.

At worst, it's an 18 point swing if they don't have anything stronger than my Frightener on their board. It regularly doubles that, though. Against Spellatel it's easily a 30 point swing and regularly 34. It wins games on its own and if you save it for your very last play there's usually nothing they can do to answer it. It's also versatile if you feel like it's going to be hard to play later in the game (priestess of freya and occasionally weather can make it annoying to play). It synergizes incredibly well with the cilantro harpy everyone runs in monster anyway, too.

It's definitely the MVP of the deck I run.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

ALBA!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/WiX4y4afvys

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Finally proc'd my pity legendary timer and boy was it worth the wait. Got a Ge'els so I don't have to craft him in the end! Triss: Butterfly Spell could have been interesting, but Ge'els is too good and is definitely a legendary I needed to craft sooner or later

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ShowTime posted:

It's real nice, and the monster deck built around it is really fun to play. But those mulligans holy poo poo. The version that runs a pair of frost is strong but you can lose the game based on just the opening hand.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone ever experience a bug with Villentretenmerth killing more than it should? I just had one board wipe me when I had an 8, some 6s, and a few 3s on the board. The 8 got hit,, then the 6s and 3s all died at once. opponents 3 was safe.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

It's real nice, and the monster deck built around it is really fun to play. But those mulligans holy poo poo. The version that runs a pair of frost is strong but you can lose the game based on just the opening hand.

Can confirm. It's awesome drawing all 3 crones, a couple of frosts and a foglet or two.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

ShowTime posted:

Can confirm. It's awesome drawing all 3 crones, a couple of frosts and a foglet or two.

I like this design. Force players to accept the higher volatility and risk of lovely opening hands in return for having a overall more powerful deck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ugh. Failed so hard.

Opponent passed with a 25 strength Mork. I shackle it then pass. Then, the next round, I am thinking Mork is staying locked if I resurrect him, so I don't immediately grab him with my Caretaker. (I also forgot that how much resurrect poo poo Skellige has, that one's on me. I should start building other faction decks.) But no, apparently resurrecting him turns his poo poo back on as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Running foglets, crones, and hounds is a recipe for tilt. You can run two out of three ok (especially because frost from hand isn't unbearably bad) but more sounds rough.

Those three are specifically rough because foglets and frosts you want zero of in hand and the crones don't blacklist. I have the same issue with NR decks too - trying to run commandos, frosts, and foot soldiers is just a little too much to handle.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 11, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

No Wave posted:

Running foglets, crones, and hounds is a recipe for tilt. You can run two out of three ok (especially because frost from hand isn't unbearably bad) but more sounds rough.

It almost always works out, but it has been known to happen. My games usually go to 3 rounds, so I know when to push it and when not too. Occasionally I have to force my crones out in round 1 just to get them to concede so I can mulligan back some stuff to maximize efficiency. I've never had to cast a foglet from hand, but have occasionally used a frost from hand or had multiple crones in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I love lucky draws, but a well-made consume deck is full of great assets to utilize against other players. The Nekkar card won me a match!