Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Thanks for the ideas! I've been very upfront with the fact I am terrible with money, and she makes about 1.5x what I do. We've been leaning towards the idea of putting aside x% of each of our incomes into a shared account, with my % being a bit higher as a means of saving vs. spending. As much as I'd like some financial independence, it's probably better to save for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

LogisticEarth posted:

It kinda strikes me as weird that married couples with uneven incomes keep substantialy different "discretionary" accounts. Like, why not just split it roughly evenly if you're married?

Because if he wants to buy a fixer-upper International Harvester for a hobby but I think it's a waste of money, it's his money that he's spending. Likewise, if I want to buy 200 pounds of clay for my pottery hobby but he thinks it's a waste of money, it's my money that I'm spending. We can spend money on ourselves for whatever we want.

If we want something mutually but one person has more money, we contribute how we see fit. For example, I will pay for most of the cost of our vacations because it's something we both want, and it's fun for both of us. We get equal happiness from it, so cost doesn't really matter.

It really comes down to people's spending habits and what they want to spend their money on. If you can agree on every purchase ever made, go ahead and combine finances. If there could possibly be conflict about buying things specifically for yourself, keep a separate account. If incomes are unequal and you feel it's unfair, have both people put aside $100 per paycheck, so the personal savings amount is the same. It doesn't matter how you save for yourself, but having money that you can spend on whatever you want is nice.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Koivunen posted:

It doesn't matter how you save for yourself, but having money that you can spend on whatever you want is nice.

Yeah, I get this, what strikes me as weird us that it's still based on individual wages rather than just a split off "individual spending money" item from the household budget.

Like, my wife and I each get $50/month to spend on whatever, plus another $75 each for clothing. On occasion, we "gift" each other stuff using that money as well.

I make more, but whatever comes in just goes into one big pot and we divvy it up for various expenses and luxuries. I'd feel like a bit of a jackass telling my wife I get to spend more because I make more.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
Does anyone have any experience ordering from Revolution Jewelry? My significant other found something he really likes but I'd ideally like to find some reviews I trust before spending the money.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Where does your officiant have to be registered to perform a wedding, the actual location of the wedding or the location of the license? We are getting our license from city hall in NYC but getting married upstate, the local clerks office upstate sounded confused when our officiant called them asking about any paperwork needed as she is registered in NYC already.

Phi Fi Fo Fum
Dec 28, 2010
I have no direct experience with marriage in New York, but it appears that officiant registration is only a thing for ceremonies being performed within NYC limits.

See:
http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/officiant_reg.shtml
https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/4210/

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Ten days to go! More dress drama, today was supposed to be my final fitting, but they called and said I needed to reschedule for later in the week. I said no, I'm coming in today. The reason they wanted me to reschedule is because the dress isn't don't yet... They promised it would be done by Thursday, but they want to keep it to press it until next week. I'm working nights straight through to the wedding, so I think I'm just going to take my dress home on Thursday and have my friend steam it. This place is getting such a bad online review when the dress is finally in my hands!

Everything else is going really well, we are ready to go. Dealing with the dress people has been the only issue.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Got married yesterday! Everything went perfectly smoothly, and we had so much fun. It was amazing. Everyone says it goes by fast, and it's true, it felt like it only lasted a split second. I can't believe how wonderful it was from start to finish.

Our ceremony was outdoors, and all week the weather was forecast to be pretty much perfect, 75 degrees and sunny. The morning was beautiful, but a big thunderstorm rolled in minutes before the ceremony started. We were under a pavilion but it was down pouring and windy, we had our ceremony with lightning and thunder. It was actually very romantic, and the umbrellas I bought just in case came in handy. The rain stopped as soon as we reached our reception site, and the rest of the day was sunny and gorgeous. I didn't get hardly any of the photos I had in mind because the park turned to mud, but that's okay. Maybe we can do them on our one year anniversary or something.

The only issue we had was that we had ordered 55 plates worth of food, and about 20 people who had RSVP'd didn't show up. That's $500 worth of food that didn't get eaten, and I couldn't convince the vendor to let us take it home. It was a little sad to see so many empty spots, and some people who I really care about who promised to be there didn't come, which hurt my feelings. But, the people who did come (and braved an outdoor wedding in a thunderstorm) were all really important to us and we had a great time, which is all that matters.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Interesting thing I learned: if you have no gift registry, and tell everyone that you don't need gifts, to just show up and enjoy the wedding, they will all give you checks and cash.

It was weird, unexpected, and nice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

lifg posted:

Interesting thing I learned: if you have no gift registry, and tell everyone that you don't need gifts, to just show up and enjoy the wedding, they will all give you checks and cash.

It was weird, unexpected, and nice.

Welcome to a Chinese wedding.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Yeah, a friend of mine was attending a Chinese wedding last weekend and asked me what to do about the fact that their invitations said "your presence is blessing enough" etc and I pointed out that this meant he should bring a red envelope. Which he did, along with every other guest.

It was a church wedding in the groom's father's church, they probably nearly broke even on the whole thing

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My "160" wedding somehow got up to 209 invitees. Not entirely sure how that happened.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Just checking in. I wanted to be sure I'm on track; a month-and-a-half out is about the point where you say "gently caress this, and gently caress these people, I'm going to elope" right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hopes Fall posted:

Just checking in. I wanted to be sure I'm on track; a month-and-a-half out is about the point where you say "gently caress this, and gently caress these people, I'm going to elope" right?

I mean, it varies; I think my wife was saying that from a year out up until the day before?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Hopes Fall posted:

That's where I'm at. Only the promise of having a planner to wrangle everyone day-of is keeping me sane

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nephzinho posted:

My "160" wedding somehow got up to 209 invitees. Not entirely sure how that happened.

As someone that's been married twice by now, I can tell you exactly where this came from:

Parents' coworkers

I cannot tell you how many people I met for the first time during my first wedding, and I was then told "This is So-and-So, from your mother-in-law's place of work" and I'm left thinking, "I paid $65 a plate for someone I've never met in my life and will probably never see again?"

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I cannot tell you how many people I met for the first time during my first wedding, and I was then told "This is So-and-So, from your mother-in-law's place of work" and I'm left thinking, "I paid $65 a plate for someone I've never met in my life and will probably never see again?"

How does this happen / how do you end up with no control of the guest list

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Scudworth posted:

When your parents/in-laws invite people from their jobs and then tell you "What am I supposed to do, uninvite them? I work with them every day!"

Also, this happened with my first wedding. My second wedding was sixty people and never deviated from that number.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Scudworth posted:

My inlaws acted as if they should have had total control of the guest list and that there was no reason that me and my wife should have had 50% of the invites.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

As someone that's been married twice by now, I can tell you exactly where this came from:

Parents' coworkers

Yeah, the 209 is only people we know, almost no +1's, and no co-workers/etc.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My guest list ballooned from 80 to 100 for the same reason. Telling my mother "no more" after she had already helped pay for the wedding was a hard but necessary conversion.

Most of then declined to come anyways, so it worked out in the end.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Our rule was "I refuse to meet anyone on my wedding day." This went not just for family but also for our own coworkers-- if we hadn't ended up at the same bar or at a party at some point, they weren't invited. I imagine even unreasonable people can be made to see reason with something like that.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

silvergoose posted:

I mean, it varies; I think my wife was saying that from a year out up until the day before?

coronatae posted:

That's where I'm at. Only the promise of having a planner to wrangle everyone day-of is keeping me sane

Yeah I've been pretending not to be panicked for about a year, but now poo poo is real. The whole "small wedding, doing everything myself" thing is garbage. I have help. I just don't wanna anymore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh, our "150ish" wedding list is now up to 250ish with plus 1s. Is expecting 75% or so to show up fair?

Also, is there any way to get a sense of how much a wedding actually costs? All of these seems incredibly opaque (I'm guessing for this reason), and I can see things spiraling out of control very quickly. We're touring a few venues in a couple of weeks: is asking to see an invoice for a wedding they've had there unreasonable?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If the venue has wedding packages you'll get a good idea immediately when you tour. 250 is big, but at that size you'll have a lot of "no"s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

lifg posted:

If the venue has wedding packages you'll get a good idea immediately when you tour. 250 is big, but at that size you'll have a lot of "no"s.

Many of these venues have wedding packages, but I guess I have no idea of how much a wedding really costs. If we multiply 150 guests x their per person price, I have no idea if the additional stuff (decorations, etc) costs 25% more or 100% more.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Residency Evil posted:

Many of these venues have wedding packages, but I guess I have no idea of how much a wedding really costs. If we multiply 150 guests x their per person price, I have no idea if the additional stuff (decorations, etc) costs 25% more or 100% more.

It costs a bag of money, give or take a bit. Like 50-100 per person plus fixed costs. You could check out an online wedding cost calculator, but IMO those estimates are only barely a ballpark figure.

I recommend asking questions of the people giving you tours, they'll have good answers for your area and budget.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Month away, starting to get to the point where I should probably be working on my vows. Too busy going rainman on the seating chart and chasing down the last few RSVPs. Not nervous about the wedding, but really at this point just nervous about having forgotten something about the party.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
On the advice of this thread, I bought from my new fiancée's engagement ring from johnnybrookheart.com. I wanted this one , and I knew nothing about jewelry or diamonds or anything in the engagement ring buying realm. I asked him for a center stone that looked like the picture, and he made it work for me for $3,000 even including shipping (it was $4,000 Canadian at the time, but what can you do? :))

It was a great experience, and the ring turned out absolutely amazing.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Is it weird to rewear the same outfit for for the rehearsal dinner as for the bridal shower?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Nah that's what I'm doing too

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
We are planning a semi-unplugged wedding in that we don't want guests to turn off their phones and taking pictures are permitted BUT only selfies and to not do it during the important parts of the ceremony (i.e. entrance, kiss). What's the best way to phrase this?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Disharmony posted:

We are planning a semi-unplugged wedding in that we don't want guests to turn off their phones and taking pictures are permitted BUT only selfies and to not do it during the important parts of the ceremony (i.e. entrance, kiss). What's the best way to phrase this?

I think a "Only Selfies" policy will be... really confusing? Maybe just a friendly reminder to keep their drat phone away during the ceremony.

Like..."We want everyone to relax and enjoy our ceremony, and request that you keep phones and cameras tucked away until the reception. We have hired a professional photographer to document the moment, and can't wait to share the pictures with you!"

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The only selfies thing is holding you back from the much easier "no pictures till dinner / after the first dance" structure which has tons of wording and sign examples around.
"No pictures of any of the wedding party or bride/groom/etc" would also possibly allow easier wording for the same effect.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Disharmony posted:

You can ask the minister or officiant to get them to put the phones away; people tend to listen to them.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
ONE MONTH TO GO

THIS IS HAPPENING

My ring arrived yesterday and it's awesome. Also, time to start pestering people for RSVPs and inviting B-listers.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

overdesigned posted:

ONE MONTH TO GO

THIS IS HAPPENING

My ring arrived yesterday and it's awesome. Also, time to start pestering people for RSVPs and inviting B-listers.

I have had my ring on my desk for over a month and pretty much just stare at it with 2 weeks to go.

Good luck with RSVP chasing, they are a biiiiitch. With 2 weeks to go we pretty much left our remaining 3 missing RSVPs on the seating chart at the end of tables just incase they show up, but didn't count them in the headcount because gently caress paying $100/plate for no-shows.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Livingston posted:

On the advice of this thread, I bought from my new fiancée's engagement ring from johnnybrookheart.com.

It was a great experience, and the ring turned out absolutely amazing.

Thank you very much. I never get to see where my rings after they're sent off so it's a treat to get to see a photo on the hand.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Disharmony posted:

During prelude/seating I ask the guests to switch their devices into airplane mode and stash them. I usually say something to the effect of, "There are professional photographers on site to handle everything. We respectfully request that everyone keep their cameras/phones/whatever away during the ceremony today." Added benefit of the sudden influx of 150 cell phones messing with my wireless gear being mitigated.

I've got three weddings to go this season. Happily got to see a fellow goon from last year who I played for in attendance at one of the weddings. I'm 26 down and holy hell am I tired.

Groom at the wedding last weekend threw a full front flip after the first dance. Gotta admit, that was pretty impressive in a tux and patent leather shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My check to the caterer didn't bounce! Way too excited about this.