Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

They'd get a trial at least.

I'm sure you would too when your turn came

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I just realised something: If Trump has the indecency to get himself impeached quite soon, it will set a new record of seven simultaneously living US presidents. Better get it done soon, as neither Carter or Bush 1 is likely to last much longer.

Another interesting fact is that Trump is actually the 3rd oldest of the 6 currently living presidents. Bush 2 is 28 days younger, while Clinton is 66 days younger. Also, Trump's birthday is on Wednesday.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 11, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

I have a little bit of sympathy for the like four or five cabinet members in the Trump Administration who are trying to do their job and keep out of the way of the madness (Mattis, Shulkin, McMasters, Chao, ...?) but at a certain point, all they are doing is covering. Mattis can't be neutral if Donald Trump is going to endanger United States troops. At this point, there aren't many people who can play innocent with what is going on.

The law enforcement community I think came to that conclusion with the firing of Comey: this isn't someone they could play along with and get there agenda pushed. And for the military community, there is probably going to be a similar revelation soon.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

awesmoe posted:

I'm sure you would too when your turn came

Yeah I'm white.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

I have a little bit of sympathy for the like four or five cabinet members in the Trump Administration who are trying to do their job and keep out of the way of the madness (Mattis, Shulkin, McMasters, Chao, ...?) but at a certain point, all they are doing is covering. Mattis can't be neutral if Donald Trump is going to endanger United States troops. At this point, there aren't many people who can play innocent with what is going on.

The law enforcement community I think came to that conclusion with the firing of Comey: this isn't someone they could play along with and get there agenda pushed. And for the military community, there is probably going to be a similar revelation soon.

I think Mattis is the most defensible of anyone. He's a blood and guts general, so I don't necessarily agree with everything he'll do, and the degree to which he's eroding civilian control of the military is super troubling (Trump refusing to appoint people is very much not helping), but having an adult there who's staying out of the poo poo and would have massive credibility if he was forced to speak out is a good thing. If you want an example of a military guy handling things the wrong way, look at how McMaster has turned himself into a whore by defending Trump in dishonest ways.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

I have a little bit of sympathy for the like four or five cabinet members in the Trump Administration who are trying to do their job and keep out of the way of the madness (Mattis, Shulkin, McMasters, Chao, ...?) but at a certain point, all they are doing is covering.

yeah i don't have sympathy for people like mcmaster ruining themselves to provide cover even if they think they're doing it for the greater good of the republic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/873982292041117696

Massive success: Obamacare victims. Team Trump are accelerationists.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Pander posted:

I've been to a lot of air force bases to analyze their electrical distribution, and yeah, their focus is largely on efficiency, stability, and increased usage of renewables. It's hard to run more than about 10% of a base through solar for Reasons, but the philosophy is in place.

It's really a case of the emperor vs his subjects here.

Definitely. Larger bases like Fort Bragg or Joint Base Lewis-McChord would definitely not be able to be fully powered by solar due to infrastructure, geographic location, and numerous other issues but it's a good first step. Not to mention that the DoD is trying it's hardest to get their ships and aircraft to run on other things besides imported fuels. That's why there has been a large investment into researching biofuels and other alternatives. Trump has no clue how regional actions like Qatar being isolated will drive up costs at the DoD. No wonder the military is starting to question their support for him.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i don't have sympathy for people like mcmaster ruining themselves to provide cover even if they think they're doing it for the greater good of the republic.

Dude's gotta choose between abandoning his career and defending the indefensible. Sucks to be him, selected in the first place by trump. Doubt that's how he wanted things to play out.

I have some pity for him, more than for devos or sessions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

couldn't he have stayed in his old job? and he woulda done a lot more good for the country coming out at that presser and not lying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Raylen posted:

There are multiple Defense programs that run counter to Trump and his idiocy. For example, Nellis AFB outside Las Vegas has a solar power plant that provides more than 25% of it's entire annual energy consumption. And not to mention that Trump still doesn't seem to realize that the largest CENTCOM base is in Qatar.

Solar power is like, loving massively huge for mitigating the tremendous risks associated with centralizing all your power generation in a few facilities and it enables you to provide a resilient source of power to small outposts without constantly ferrying in fuel. The military is completely on board with it and has been for decades.

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/554343/af-tests-first-all-electric-vehicle-fleet-in-california/

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 11, 2017

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

couldn't he have stayed in his old job? and he woulda done a lot more good for the country coming out at that presser and not lying.

I actually don't think he could have refused. He's active duty and I think that means he had to accept

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sucks. still doesn't change the fact he goes out and lies really transparently for trump and ruining his legacy.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/874009145887928322

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

Reading some of those replies. Holy poo poo, it feels like a cult that Trump has created :aaaaa:

Buca di Bepis posted:

Solar power is like, loving massively huge for mitigating the tremendous risks associated with centralizing all your power generation in a few facilities and it enables you to provide a resilient source of power to small outposts without constantly ferrying in fuel. The military is completely on board with it and has been for decades.

Yup, I'm glad Mattis is keeping his head low and just continuing on with the programs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Raylen posted:

Definitely. Larger bases like Fort Bragg or Joint Base Lewis-McChord would definitely not be able to be fully powered by solar due to infrastructure, geographic location, and numerous other issues but it's a good first step. Not to mention that the DoD is trying it's hardest to get their ships and aircraft to run on other things besides imported fuels. That's why there has been a large investment into researching biofuels and other alternatives. Trump has no clue how regional actions like Qatar being isolated will drive up costs at the DoD. No wonder the military is starting to question their support for him.
One example I've see is how Edwards has three solar farms. It's such a huge base that they can't hope, even with that Mojave sun, to feed much of the demand, but that and switching from incandescents to LED lighting and better chillers are a few ways they're trying to move away from a "electricity is free and infinite" mindset like Trump seems to take.

The military is largely GOP because they think Dems are cut and run cowards, but they know and idiot when it's obvious. Really the only base Trump has now are racists, idiots, and the ultra rich. Together it's a larger group than I think we'd like.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Buca di Bepis posted:

The military also likes things like solar because some other industry would find some way to get 25% of their energy generation from solar and then do 25% solar and 75% regular while the military is always up for that meaning they now having 125% available power.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

No, hence a shred of pity I have for him. It'd suck to have a career planned out, do your best, and then an orange jackass ruins everything and you struggle through best you can. I think he'll​ resign at some point. This is getting humiliating. I think he hoped to teach Trump right from wrong or outlast him, but that ship has sailed.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Sinteres posted:

Notice also that none of these things actually happened. Every one of them is a suggestion, a proposal, a guideline, or something still awaiting Senate action.

So a great week is when nothing happens, but the White House talks a lot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pander posted:

No, hence a shred of pity I have for him. It'd suck to have a career planned out, do your best, and then an orange jackass ruins everything and you struggle through best you can. I think he'll​ resign at some point. This is getting humiliating. I think he hoped to teach Trump right from wrong or outlast him, but that ship has sailed.

i would forgive it all if he had to come out for a presser and just said trump is poo poo i resign. it'd probably vindicate him for history.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I feel like Kellyanne Conway is an object lesson in what happens to your brain when you totally dive into avaricious careerism.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kellyann Conway is how I assume the gang perceives Sweet Dee

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sinteres posted:

Oh good glad the roads/bridges already fixed and I barely had to endure summer road construction.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Calaveron posted:

Does that make Trump Frank?

edit: I'm going to call every executive order Trump taking the toe knife to it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the main reason he does poo poo like this is because outside of his rallies, his properties are the only places where everyone worships him (because they are paid to).

Remember that the man craves adulation and validation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Overwined posted:

Does that make Trump Frank?

Frank shows genuine affection and friendship for his son despite not acknowledging him as such and at the end of the day is happy harmlessly getting weird with it

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does the "I'm not under investigation!" narrative conflict with the "My 'wires' were 'tapped'!"?

I just wondering how long until his bullshit actively contradicts itself. I'm betting it's already starting to happen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

No. Shame on you. :colbert:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Violator posted:

Does the "I'm not under investigation!" narrative conflict with the "My 'wires' were 'tapped'!"?

I just wondering how long until his bullshit actively contradicts itself. I'm betting it's already starting to happen.

It started conflicting on Trump's second official speech.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

Frank shows genuine affection and friendship for his son despite not acknowledging him as such and at the end of the day is happy harmlessly getting weird with it

Trump loves his daughter

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sinteres posted:

why did she choose a user pic that looks bad.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

PhazonLink posted:

everything she does is designed to exalt her boss and piss you off, simultaneously, and she is good at it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Because there aren't any qualifiedly "good" pictures of her that exist? She is unfortunately not photogenic and kinda scored a PR windfall by SNL convincing the world she actually looks like Kate McKinnon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump loves his daughter

Frank has made known several times in a completely natural and believable way that he thinks incest is gross and disgusting

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
*extremely twitter* ok so CHECK IT, i think i know how to bring down drumpf. you see, he's just like frank in always sunny except - 1/32

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

It looks bad because she is bad.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sab0921 posted:

This entire twitter thread is pretty pro-click. Apparently, a bunch of Trump supporters, and alt-right weirdos showed up to counter-protest a fake protest that a different alt-right group set up claiming antifa and BLM were going to try and remove the Sam Houston statute from a park in Houston.

https://twitter.com/evan7257/status/873570946484981760

Guess no one told them that Sam Houston was against Secession? Thus I can't really think of why antifa would want to do anything to his statue

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skylined! posted:

*extremely twitter* ok so CHECK IT, i think i know how to bring down drumpf. you see, he's just like frank in always sunny except - 1/32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jealous Cow posted:

I think the more pertinent question is, "can trump force the committee to turn over transcripts of a closed session? And if so can that request be protected by executive privilege?"

Trump can't force a congressional committee to do jack poo poo unless he does it at gunpoint.

PhazonLink posted:

She's an eldrich abomination trying to pass itself off as human. Her smile/grin is literally trollface.jpg as well and it's eerie as hell.

• Locked thread