Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fauxtool posted:

how far back does the amd price lunacy go? Is my old rear end 7990 worth anything?

Definitely

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=7990&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

$550 :eyepop:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-/263026408353?hash=item3d3d987ba1:g:IK4AAOSwjKFZOO~r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well it looks like im upgrading to a 1080ti earlier than expected.

Uh thanks bitcoin?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Might as well change the thread title to "sell your AMD GPUs on ebay" at this point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Doesn't look like my R9 270X is a thing on UK eBay, unless the stupid has been contained in the US.

Don't have the box lying around anymore anyway.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sux to be a gamer this year!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Time to go dig out my R9 290 and either list it on eBay or shove it in a box to mine etherbutts...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Sux to be a gamer this year!

unless you need higher performance than amd can deliver because those cards are easy to buy

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I've gone full buttcoin and am now mining on 2x 1080 Ti and 1x 1070 lol, should be good for $22/day with only about $1.50 of power usage in my area.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 11, 2017

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Doesn't look like my R9 270X is a thing on UK eBay, unless the stupid has been contained in the US.

Don't have the box lying around anymore anyway.

Yeah same for R9 290's I mean I could sell mine for what I paid for it a few years ago, but it's not realy worth it. If they were selling for £300 then i'd probably bother to do it. Cue everyone here buying 290s from the uk instead.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let me know how easily you're able to sell it, because I can get power for free (to a point) and if it's easy enough I could set up a couple machines where I could run them for free. The major thing stopping me is I figured it'd be such a hassle to sell that it wouldn't be worth it. I have tons of videocards sitting around and probably enough other hardware to put together some PCs.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Omg

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Jesus, people are paying $150 for HD7950's, I only paid $200 for mine new five years ago.

This is insane.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

Jesus, people are paying $150 for HD7950's, I only paid $200 for mine new five years ago.

This is insane.

Gotta mine these bitcoinz!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
And despite all this stupidity the Furys seem to have dropped off a bit. That's what I get for waiting. Fun study in economics though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

And despite all this stupidity the Furys seem to have dropped off a bit. That's what I get for waiting. Fun study in economics though.

Imagine in 3-6 months when the difficulty of mining increases and these flood the market...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah you're gonna be able to make a killer 1080p budget system in a few months.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The rest of it I've just kind of accepted, but I don't get how a 7990 could be a thing card miners would want for those prices. Granted 7970 prices are higher than sanity allows, but it doesn't follow that a 375W pairing of them is worth $500 or more. You'd think they'd go for an R9 instead and save $200. I mean, thinking is clearly optional I guess.

Apparently I really should have mined a bunch of BTC back when I got my first 6970. Maybe I'll buy another 390/480 when the prices collapse and do this again. vOv

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah you're gonna be able to make a killer 1080p budget system in a few months.

Kaby Lake hyperthreaded pentium for $60 new, and a ~$100 580? Yes please.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can someone explain like I'm an idiot why people are buying consumer grade GPUs to make BitCoins? I'm wondering why people are buying old AMD cards at overinflated prices rather than just investing in an old Cray or something.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Can someone explain like I'm an idiot why people are buying consumer grade GPUs to make BitCoins? I'm wondering why people are buying old AMD cards at overinflated prices rather than just investing in an old Cray or something.

GPUs are the best bang for the buck at performing the computation used to mine these cryptocurrencies, at any scale. There's no dedicated hardware that mines Ethereum (yet), so if you want to mine it's either CPUs or GPUs, and GPUs are much much better at it.

Edit: The reason people are buying consumer GPUs is because the full double-precision compute cards aren't much better, so it's a perfectly reasonable reaction to mine on consumer GPUs. The real question is "Who his buying the currency that the miners are selling?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Put even more simply, it's "nerd alchemy" - turning your parent's/college's electricity into profit*.

* people have to buy your internet monies before it becomes profit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Put even more simply, it's "nerd alchemy" - turning your parent's/college's electricity into profit*.

* people have to buy your internet monies before it becomes profit.

It's easy to sell. I've been selling every about every two weeks, generally averaging about $50 worth. I'm an idiot, if I had held onto it instead of selling as I mined, I'd have five figures worth at this point.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

GPUs are the best bang for the buck at performing the computation used to mine these cryptocurrencies, at any scale. There's no dedicated hardware that mines Ethereum (yet), so if you want to mine it's either CPUs or GPUs, and GPUs are much much better at it.

Edit: The reason people are buying consumer GPUs is because the full double-precision compute cards aren't much better, so it's a perfectly reasonable reaction to mine on consumer GPUs. The real question is "Who his buying the currency that the miners are selling?"

The Chinese.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

And hoping people will then buy the butt coins for something other then RMB.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Okay, the gassed Bitcoin thread did a lot to inform as well. Thanks.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Was the whole EVGA VRM/lack of thermal pads fiasco am actual issue or was it blown out of proportion?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

B-Mac posted:

Was the whole EVGA VRM/lack of thermal pads fiasco am actual issue or was it blown out of proportion?

Blown out of proportion. It actually (probably EVGA never came out and said this) ended up being a bad run of capacitors. Any EVGA card with a November 2016 production date or later has thermal pads pre-installed since they decided to head off PR issues either way. From people testing stuff The VRMs never went out of spec and at most were a good 15-20 celsius away from it in a worst case scenario running furmark with a fan blowing gpu exhaust back onto the gpu about while the fan sat 6 inches away from it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was faulty caps, all of them that failed were replaced under warranty and they also sent out thermal pads and increased the fan speed for anyone who was worried theirs might have also been faulty but didn't want to RMA. They shouldn't have needed additional cooling in the first place, but caps on the edge of failing will last a lot longer if they're kept cool. Unless a card has been sitting on a box for months and months I'd trust any cards that are still functional now have avoided the bad batch of caps or have been cooled sufficiently extra for it not to be an issue.

Edit: Beaten, not disagreeing.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 12, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Thanks. I bought a used 1080 SC so I was just wondering if I needed to install the pads if they weren't already installed. The person said it was about a year old so it probably doesn't have them installed from the factory. Appreciate the info.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

B-Mac posted:

Thanks. I bought a used 1080 SC so I was just wondering if I needed to install the pads if they weren't already installed. The person said it was about a year old so it probably doesn't have them installed from the factory. Appreciate the info.

It's probably fine. Installing the pads will lower VRM temperature by 20 to 30 Celsius but I never installed the ones I got from EVGA for my 1070 SC that I bought in May/June. Still working fine.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

havenwaters posted:

It's probably fine. Installing the pads will lower VRM temperature by 20 to 30 Celsius but I never installed the ones I got from EVGA for my 1070 SC that I bought in May/June. Still working fine.

Cool. I might install some anyway since I've never pulled a GPU apart, watching a video of it didn't see to bad.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Imagine in 3-6 months when the difficulty of mining increases and these flood the market...

I'm honestly kicking around the idea of buying a few gpus when the firesale eventually starts. Probably a dumb idea, but I figured buttcoins would have been dead already so :shrug:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

wargames posted:

And hoping people will then buy the butt coins for something other then RMB.

I'd kill for an RMB slush fund for my next trip, but also you can sell RMB for real USD.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I don't suppose mining bitcoins actually wears down the RX480 cards right? I know there's general deterioration for all tech over time. I ended up with 1050Ti for my budget PC and my timing is always terrible.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Alder posted:

I don't suppose mining bitcoins actually wears down the RX480 cards right? I know there's general deterioration for all tech over time. I ended up with 1050Ti for my budget PC and my timing is always terrible.

Not in any appreciable way that'll matter to you, no. When possible, miners tend to undervolt if at all possible to save money, so frankly you might end up getting one with less "wear" on it than a normal gamer who OCs or overvolts. Fan life might be an issue if you plan on keeping it for years, but if you get one from a company that does serial-number based warranties, you should be covered for a good while.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DrDork posted:

Not in any appreciable way that'll matter to you, no. When possible, miners tend to undervolt if at all possible to save money, so frankly you might end up getting one with less "wear" on it than a normal gamer who OCs or overvolts. Fan life might be an issue if you plan on keeping it for years, but if you get one from a company that does serial-number based warranties, you should be covered for a good while.

Thanks, will hope the market recovers in a few months into the future :smith:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

future ghost posted:

The rest of it I've just kind of accepted, but I don't get how a 7990 could be a thing card miners would want for those prices. Granted 7970 prices are higher than sanity allows, but it doesn't follow that a 375W pairing of them is worth $500 or more. You'd think they'd go for an R9 instead and save $200. I mean, thinking is clearly optional I guess.

Apparently I really should have mined a bunch of BTC back when I got my first 6970. Maybe I'll buy another 390/480 when the prices collapse and do this again. vOv

At this point with these inflated prices it makes way more sense to just buy Nvidia cards for mining but people are just really dumb.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill definitely be selling the 7990 in my work computer since its worth money somehow. I need to replace it with something cheap and at least 1 HDMI output. It used to be a gaming computer but not anymore. I do some 4k video watching but mostly web browsing and youtube.

Prefer nvidia but amd is fine if their option is significantly cheaper.

Any recommendations?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

ill definitely be selling the 7990 in my work computer since its worth money somehow. I need to replace it with something cheap and at least 1 HDMI output. It used to be a gaming computer but not anymore. I do some 4k video watching but mostly web browsing and youtube.

Prefer nvidia but amd is fine if their option is significantly cheaper.

Any recommendations?

Id just get a used nvidia 750 Ti off Craigslist for like $50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

Id just get a used nvidia 750 Ti off Craigslist for like $50

For hardware accelerated 4k video, a Nvidia 1030 would be the much better choice. Supports youtube VP9 and Netflix 4K.