Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace

Curtis

Baby Blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

Anyone else expecting Intelligent Life to do a garbage tribute to Adam West?
I, like others, also expect one from Nancy, but I bet Working Daze will be first.
The grey aliens told him so!

F Minus

I really like this one.

Mary Worth

They're just shotgunning.

Rex Morgan MD

OK Kelly, I could understand why you were pissed before, and you can continue to give a little poo poo to Niki your idiot boyfriend for being an idiot, but this girl is being as nice as nice can be and you should knock it off with her.

Jungle Jim

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 11, 2017

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It's been a while since we had such a clear example of Helen's eyes switching to dots when she's just withdrawing from her husband's shittiness.
Awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It is the exact minimum number of rocks you need to say that there are some rocks. Two is a "pair", and four, yeah that's still "some" but one more than you need to express the idea.

For Bushmiller it was economy of expression. For Gilchrist it's part and parcel of his worthless fetishism of the past.

Calaveron posted:

Two rocks is a pair of rocks, four rocks is a bunch of rocks. Three rocks is three rocks.

That was it, thanks. It's definitely an interesting look at how one creates a comic strip like Nancy and how one can go wrong.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

goatface posted:

It's an old thing people used to do. Probably to do with cooling it down faster.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It used to be done either to cool down hot drinks, or to remove grounds from coffee brewed without a filter. But it also makes me want to slap the saucer out of his hand, so I reckon it's mostly Chester Gould being really good at giving his villains quirks. This story is better than anything the current team can dream up. I wish Coffyhead had been in the movie.

It was also thought to be uncouth behavior, and evidence of one's lower social standing. Orwell comments on it as a notable class marker in The Road to Wigan Pier.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Art Spiegelman famously said of Bushmiller: "the drawing of three rocks in a background scene was Ernie’s way of showing us there were some rocks in the background. It was always three. Why? Because two rocks wouldn’t be 'some rocks.' Two rocks would be a pair of rocks. And four rocks was unacceptable because four rocks would indicate 'some rocks' but it would be one rock more than was necessary to convey the idea of 'some rocks.'"

Because Gilchrist is simply someone who can draw rather than an artist, he read this and took away an understanding that Nancy was about putting three rocks in the background.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

OK Kelly, I could understand why you were pissed before, and you can continue to give a little poo poo to Niki your idiot boyfriend for being an idiot, but this girl is being as nice as nice can be and you should knock it off with her.

Look at her face in the last panel. Kelly knows she's a goddamn vampire! :drac:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Shut uuuuuuup Judge Parker

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Liking last panel Mole Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set buys American-ish.

Working Daze cameos.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix will wait here until you get back.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze cameos.

That dude looks like Guy Gilchrist. Man, Working Daze and Modern Nancy together - It's everything we as a thread deserve.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It was also thought to be uncouth behavior, and evidence of one's lower social standing. Orwell comments on it as a notable class marker in The Road to Wigan Pier.

He used to do it to annoy his co-workers, and to see if they would say anything about it, when he worked at the BBC in the early 1940s.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

Everett knows you can't just punish the those who do the wrong thing, you've got to encourage correct behavior too.
He's clearly speaking too loud for just talking to her, he wants to make sure everybody else around hears how he's effusively praising her for doing something really basic. Because they aren't doing it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 13, 1995)

Garfield Classic (June 13, 1985)

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

"whack a turnip" wtf? is that some phrase I'm unaware of or did he pick the weirdest use for a stick or is whacking turnips a common thing?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pluggers

this one's kind of sad ):

Dustin

http://www.hiyoooo.com/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CommaToes posted:

That dude looks like Guy Gilchrist. Man, Working Daze and Modern Nancy together - It's everything we as a thread deserve.
Would you believe I didn't even notice him until you mentioned it? I think my brain automatically blocked him out.

And yeah that's totally Gilchrist.

I guess he's there as a nod to a fellow "I can't write a joke to save my soul" comics guy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Speaking of which:

Nancy

Phil is 60.

Mandrake

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

My Lovely Horse posted:

It used to be done either to cool down hot drinks, or to remove grounds from coffee brewed without a filter. But it also makes me want to slap the saucer out of his hand, so I reckon it's mostly Chester Gould being really good at giving his villains quirks. This story is better than anything the current team can dream up. I wish Coffyhead had been in the movie.

To add to this, it's also the reason why we still have matching saucers with coffee cups instead of big ol' mugs. The practise has been forgotten but the cups are the same.

Old timers would also put a sugar lump between their teeth and drink through it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kennel posted:

Speaking of which:

Nancy

Phil is 60.

This isn't a joke. This isn't anything. Guy Gilchrist is cancer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

This isn't a joke. This isn't anything. Guy Gilchrist is cancer.

References are humor! Remember that time on Family Guy where they referenced a thing? LMAO!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze cameos.

My concern is, why is blue shirt guy in blue polka-dot shirt guy's lap? And dude's got a drat O face, yet they both have their pants on. What the hell.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

References are humor! Remember that time on Family Guy where they referenced a thing? LMAO!

Family Guy at least does something vaguely resembling humor. This comic is literally "I can only think about these old bands I like."

There's like this constant battle between 3 or 4 comics in this thread to determine which one is the absolute dregs of the comics page and Nancy pulled into the lead today. I'm sure Luann will do something idiotic tomorrow to tighten it back up.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Working Daze guy's narcolepsy is treated as a personality quirk of laziness rather than a potentially dangerous life-threatening disorder.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

Working Daze guy's narcolepsy is treated as a personality quirk of laziness rather than a potentially dangerous life-threatening disorder.
It's not even narcolepsy. He just likes sleeping. That's the joke.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Family Guy at least does something vaguely resembling humor. This comic is literally "I can only think about these old bands I like."

There's like this constant battle between 3 or 4 comics in this thread to determine which one is the absolute dregs of the comics page and Nancy pulled into the lead today. I'm sure Luann will do something idiotic tomorrow to tighten it back up.

Luann is currently not so awful mostly because the current storyline isn't involving Bernice. But once she's back to her awfulness it'll be a real competition again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Luann is currently not so awful mostly because the current storyline isn't involving Bernice. But once she's back to her awfulness it'll be a real competition again.
I'd say that Gunther is as bad as Bernice, just in a different, whinier way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They should pair off Bernice and Gunther for real then banish them to Fuckoffistan

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd say that Gunther is as bad as Bernice, just in a different, whinier way.

He is, but the comic is painting his shittiness as just that, rather than as some put upon martyr.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You have to trust your hostage, or you'll appear too needy and scare them off.

F Minus

Proportions are a little weird on that little boy to me.

Mary Worth

Might want to go ahead and let go of Esme and back away there, Derek.

Rex Morgan MD

Another doctor might make it easier to see more patients faster, but I think adding nurses can only go so far in helping with that.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

Proportions are a little weird on that little boy to me.
Adolescence works in weird ways

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Yeah i was gonna say he'd fit in with the 11yos i know

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2001 Spiderman

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Might want to go ahead and let go of Esme and back away there, Derek.
"I had an asthma attack and she was merely sucking out the cigarette smoke to save me!"

You just know this is going to wind up as some kind of "your nagging him is just as bad as his boner-driven infidelity and you both need to work it out" bull from Mary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane