Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Don't strip them. It's not fun.

If you do:

1. Cuss a lot
2. Try an Allen wrench (won't work)
3. Try a flat head screw driver wedged into what's left of the torx head. (Won't work)
4. Use heat and try the above (won't work)
5. Cut a notch into the head with a dremel and use a flat head screwdriver to remove (might work)
6. Buy an EZ Out that you put into a drill to remove it (might work)
7. Buy a whole new primary cover because even the EZ Out won't remove the bolts that the previous owner put into the derby cover with loctite and/or 500 lbs of torque.

Ok step 7 may be very specific to my situation on my bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Does that not have the quick-release tabs behind those soft bags?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

:nms:

Braincloud posted:

Does that not have the quick-release tabs behind those soft bags?

Elaborate please.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I once stripped a torx head and was able to get it out with a square driver, but I think I got lucky and used it before it got unrecoverable and would need to be drilled out.

I then went through the bike and replaced as many torx nuts as I could find with regular hex heads.

Torx exists solely to make you say "who the gently caress used God drat torx on this!?" Torx sucks

tjones
May 13, 2005
You can try quiksteel to fill the stripped part and press your bit head into the putty while it is still malleable.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

You can also try putting a rubberband between the bit and the screw.

Also have used valve grinding compound dabbed onto and oversized bit and hammered in place.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

epalm posted:

:nms:

Elaborate please.

On my crossbones, the sissy bar has a quick release on the point that connects to the tabs attached to the fender. You flip them up and The whole bar and sides slides off.

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Holy poo poo they put torx fasteners on Harley's too? Goddamn.

On the Buell, you take off layers of fastener types. Torx and Allen heads on top, metric under that, and imperial for anything touching the engine. :freep:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Swapped out the stock aluminum primary cover with a more fitting wrinkled black one today and threw on a Willie G derby cover.

Swap went flawlessly, no stripped anything, no leaks, no cracked knuckles. I'm sure The Mistress will explode on my way to work or something now.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

That's fuckin' beautiful, mate

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
That is an excellent color scheme. Looks boss.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, that thing is beautiful!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Some thoughts after purchasing and riding a 2011 Heritage Softail Classic for a month:

• This bike is SO comfortable compared to my previous half-dozen bikes, which were a variety of cruisers, standards, and sumos.
  • "The wave" has become inconsistent, non-harley riders wave less often now. :(
  • Sometimes, even if I don't have right-of-way, drivers wave me through, which is confusing and mildly dangerous.
  • The turn signals on harley cycles are a goddamn dumpster fire, who the gently caress gave engineering the green light for this steaming pile of wet poo poo? gently caress.

To elaborate on the turn signals...

• Did I press it? Pretty sure I did, but the button feedback is too soft to be definitive through a glove. There's no "click", just a soft bump.
  • Glance at dash. Nope, didn't press it.
  • Wait maybe that glance was the instant where the signal was off?
  • Take eyes off road and stare at dash for a full second. Ok I did press it.
  • Take the turn
  • Did they auto-cancel? Glance at dash. Yep, auto-cancel works.
  • Take eyes off road and stare at dash for a full second. Nope, still flashing.
  • Decide whether to wait longer, or manually cancel.
  • Decide to cancel manually.
  • Did I press it? Pretty sure I did, but the button feedback is too soft to be definitive through a glove. There's no "click", just a soft bump.
  • Glance at dash. Yep, pressed it.
  • Take eyes off road and stare at dash for a full second. Signal is still flashing.
  • Either I didn't press it and it didn't auto-cancel (yet!?), or it did auto-cancel and I did press it, starting a fresh signal? I'll never know.

As a software engineer who thinks about user interfaces all day every day, this system is an unbelievable piece of poo poo.

But other than that, I actually do love the bike :)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

i have the same thoughts about the turn signals. Basically i just forced myself to operate the bike without making any of the assumptions. I push the turn signal button ALL the way in, and press it AGAIN as i'm completing my turn (well before it would have automatically turned off). You'll subconsciously get used to it. Still though, it's absolute trash.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seems like it'd be fairly simple to just retrofit some other bike's system though, right?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I always struggled with the Autocancel on my Sportster until I found out that it is based on some sort of lean sensor. If you lean the bike while stopped it thinks your are already turning and turns it off. Both feet flat and the bike level and it stays on.

Edit: it also looks like some bikes have more advanced functions so check your manual.

quote:

From the 2012 Softail factory electrical manual:

Automatic Cancellation.
Press the left and right turn signal switch to activate automatic turn Signal cancellation. There is no need to hold the turn switch in when approaching the turn. The BCM will not cancel the signal before the turn is actually completed.

' When the turn signal switch is released, the system starts a 20 count. As long as the vehicle is traveling above 8 mph (13 KM/H), the directional will always cancel after 20 flashes if the system does not recognize any other input.

' If the vehicle speed drops to 8 mph (13 KM/H) or less, including stopped, the directionals will continue to flash. Counting will resume when vehicle speed reaches 8 mph (13 KM/H) and will automatically cancel when the count total equals 20 as stated above.

' The turn signals may cancel within two seconds upon turn completion depending on vehicle LEAN ANGLE during turn. An accelerometer inside the BCM cancels the signal after the vehicle has been returned to an upright position.

NOTE:
The bank angle cancellation function has an automatic calibration feature. Ride the vehicle for 0.25 mile (0.4 KM) at steady speeds (Upright) to calibrate the system. This calibration process optimizes the performance of the bank angle function. This automatic calibration is performed automatically every time the vehicle is started and ridden.

Some models apparently let you hold the switch for a longer cycle etc..

And apparently if you cut a wire from the speedo the self cancel is disabled.

More info
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/784209-turn-signal-auto-cancel-2.html
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/archive/index.php/t-1138025.html

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 30, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We have digital compasses now that cost like 10 cents in quantity so it seems like it would be pretty trivial to go

if ( (abs(currentHeading - oldHeading) > 45) && (elapsedTime > 10) )
{
disableSignals();
}

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sagebrush posted:

We have digital compasses now that cost like 10 cents in quantity so it seems like it would be pretty trivial to go

{
disableSignals();
}

code:

hello harley

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Sagebrush posted:

{
disableSignals();
}

how does adding a digital compass to a harley davidson appear the best solution to anything

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

"the solution to this needlessly complicated system sabotaged by cheap parts and poorly-thought-through design: a cheap part and a half-baked idea"

you ARE a software engineer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Auto-cancelling motorcycle turn signals are a stupid idea in concept anyway.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Indeed.

<rant>Anyway, traditional turn signal controls (all bikes except Harleys?) are what software engineers call "idempotent". Basically this means no matter how many times you execute a particular action, the result remains the same. For example, no matter how many times you push the control left, 1 time or 20 times, you get a left flashing signal. No matter how many times your OCD makes you push the control inwards, it cancels the signal. This makes for more obvious controls, whether it be on a motorcycle handlebar, in an airplane cockpit, a webpage, or a mobile app.</rant>

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

does Harley own a patent on the concept of auto-cancelling signals or is every other manufacturer just not dumb enough to think they're a good idea

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

does Harley own a patent on the concept of auto-cancelling signals or is every other manufacturer just not dumb enough to think they're a good idea

My 1986 Yamaha SRX600 had them, thankfully the system could be disabled easily by removing some small electronics box. It was a both time and distance based system. I would signal ahead of merging onto/leaving the highway and by the time I would actually do so the blinkers would shut off.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I like my auto canceling signals. I've never had an issue with them to be honest.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Scrapez posted:

I like my auto canceling signals. I've never had an issue with them to be honest.

Yeah same. Mine are fine as well.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I wasn't sure if I should post here or the lastest good ads thread, but this has to be too good to be true, right?

Sportsters in my area seem to bottom out around 3500-4000, so either this is a scam or there's something hilariously wrong. But that isn't stopping me from getting tempted.

e: yeah, pretty sure it's a scam. The picture didn't come up in google reverse search, but I found a similar ad in another region with a completely different number. That's what I get for getting my hopes up.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 6, 2017

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Single picture + sub-2000-dollar gorgeous bike = usually a scam. I was seeing a whole bunch of $1500 Harley-Davidson bikes on a craigslist region I visited once. Like, full dressers.

If you want to make sure before e-mailing/calling/whatever, drag the image into a Google Images search, and the place it was taken from might pop up.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Has anyone had any experience with fuel tuners on new harleys? I was looking at the Vance and Hines fuel pack 3. As it connects to the canbus connector on the harness and can use the O2 sensors. You can also connect to it with a iPhone via Bluetooth. The other option seems to be the power commander 5. However it seems much more difficult to install and harder to connect to. It also does not use the O2 sensors without the addition of the auto tune unit for a extra $300.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Valt posted:

Has anyone had any experience with fuel tuners on new harleys? I was looking at the Vance and Hines fuel pack 3. As it connects to the canbus connector on the harness and can use the O2 sensors. You can also connect to it with a iPhone via Bluetooth. The other option seems to be the power commander 5. However it seems much more difficult to install and harder to connect to. It also does not use the O2 sensors without the addition of the auto tune unit for a extra $300.

I put a FP3 on my 15' WideGlide (FXD-WG). My only disappointment is that despite the "thousands" of tunes V&H touts, it'll only allow you a small subset of tunes based on your VIN, and they get pretty specific. For example, my WideGlide came with Harley's "Tommy Gun" exhaust. Here it is:

(I hated this loving exhaust, it puts a catalytic converter inches from your right ankle when stopped)

V&H Straight Shots slip-ons (PN:16823) won't fit without a header pipe change. Luckily the FXD family has a lot of options here, so I grabbed a complete exhaust system from a 14' FXD-B

All well and good, ready for Straight-Shots slip-ons, FP3 and a tune. Well guess what? Because the StraightShots don't "fit" the FXD-WG, there is no tune available to me. I can't use the tune for a 15 FXD-B with StraightShots, because the FP3 reads my VIN and decides that tune isn't appropriate. That map isn't even visible unless I run the tuner software in demo mode. There is no way around this. I've bitched at V&H about it, but their answer is as follows: "You would have to use the generic(map) and AutoTune since you made a very specific headpipe change to make that work." No clue as to why tunes can't be used across at minimum the same year of FXD bikes. Hell I think I should be able to put any tune from any bike and from any year on my bike if I'm so inclined. The end result right now is I only get about 15 tunes available to me, and none strike me as particularly appropriate for my configuration. Auto-tune has helped though, and the FP3 did get rid of the huge dead-spot just off-idle I had post-change. All in all I'm happy enough with it, and for the price it's hard to beat.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 7, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

I'll go one further: a turn signal button on each handlebar is the worst idea. Put a rocker on the left for human operators please.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I'll go one further: a turn signal button on each handlebar is the worst idea. Put a rocker on the left for human operators please.

Huh

I guess I'm glad my Streets got them together on one side.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

clutchpuck posted:

Now this I will agree with.

True story: I was a metric cruiser rider for several years before I bought my Harley. I was out with the dealer doing a test ride, and I finally caught up to him at a light and yelled "how do I signal a right turn?!?". He laughed and was like "right handlebar".

So weird to me that they were on both sides.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Motorrad does the same thing and it is an abomination.

Even my Buell has a rocker with bonus euro-style flasher. This is proper config.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Motorrad does the same thing and it is an abomination.
Pretty sure BMW abandoned this a couple years ago. But they did have it from like 1984 until then.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Another HD Design complaint :

The kickstand. It's spring loaded for a 'soft' landing or whatever, but as you set the bike down, the springs make the kickstand travel BACKWARD. This bit me in the rear end this weekend. I'd backed it out of my garage and set it down to put my lawn mower back inside... and heard WHAM. I knew it would eventually happen, and it did. gently caress you, Harley Kickstand. Now, my mirror is scraped, clutch lever scraped, footpeg scuffed, handlebar end scuffed, crank case derby cover or whatever scuffed, and shifter loving maimed. I suppose this is as good an excuse as any to look at some comfier footpegs, but still. gently caress you. This is going to be expensive. :cry:

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 12, 2017

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Yeah, Harley jiffykickstand and turn signals lack any sort of tactile feedback that give the user confidence they're doing their job. I don't expect there will be any solution to the turn signals ever, I've just gotten used to them and check and check and check.

The stand is like, the factory just makes the rookies make stands all day long and they hate their life. Mine doesn't even lay flat. It always looks like it's not extended all the way. I don't trust it. When I put the bike on the stand, my foot is always right behind it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah I've put a Road King on the floor because the sidestand is vague at best.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The spring is there because there is a locking tab.

When you lean the bike over the kickstand hinges upwards into a notch that locks the kickstand forward.

So long as the kickstand is fully forward when you lean the bike over the kickstand cannot collapse unless the bike is lifted upright and the tab comes out of the notch.

It's seems wobbly and janky but if you look under there you will see how it works.

By spring loading it it makes sure that if you forget to lift the stand and pull away the spring will positively disengage the notch and unlock the stand.

Only issues would be if the spring is worn or the tab broke off the kickstand.

Or possibly someone put an aftermarket kickstand on or cut off the tab so they can drive off with it down or something dumb like that.

I never trusted it as it feels all wobbly but I was underneath making sure the stand and peg bolts were tight before a trip and now that I know how it works I have never had an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's... that's actually pretty neat and brilliant. :aaa:

• Locked thread