Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What exactly is the reasoning for not pursuing statehood anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Eej posted:

Taxes

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Eej posted:

Bankruptcy and corruption

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

The Republicans would NEVER allow it. The openly racist part of the GOP isn't going away, it's here to stay. It will be a factor in every GOP presidential year at least.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

There's also a number of people who still want straight-up independence over statehood. It's basically a situation where all three options (Statehood, independence, and status quo) enjoy varying amounts of popularity, and thus far nobody's been able to convince a majority of the population to change the status quo one way or the other.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's also a number of people who still want straight-up independence over statehood. It's basically a situation where all three options (Statehood, independence, and status quo) enjoy varying amounts of popularity, and thus far nobody's been able to convince a majority of the population to change the status quo one way or the other.

How many reps would Puerto Rico get immediately with statehood? 6 or so?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Flikken posted:

How many reps would Puerto Rico get immediately with statehood? 6 or so?

2 Senators, that's all that matters.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The number of people that want independence are overwhelmingly small. Its all divided between Commonwealth (status quo) and statehood and the trend in the last few elections is that more Puerto Ricans want statehood, people are protesting the "bad" options by not voting, and by doing that they are spoiling the results somehow.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If DC and PR were admitted to the union, it would immediately place 4 Senate seats permanently in blue hands. That's why Republicans oppose it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.7d2ae16f6afa

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/874099393728741377

:getin:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

This whole thing is interesting as Presidents were scared as hell about potential conflicts of interest and constitutional stuff. Obama sold all his stocks, Carter was forced to sell his peanut farm. Donnie just doesn't care.

Nothing will happen, but the real fascinating thing is the amount of case law on this particular constitutional subject: absolutely loving nothing.

On top of that, it's completely unclear how the Supreme Court would enforce this kind of thing. Donnie could easily tell them to gently caress off, since he's the organization owner, so maybe they'd have to go after the underlings in the organization? Or would similar companies have the right to sue the Trump Organization into oblivion? Who knows?

Edit: whoa wait a minute https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874105239615524864

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

This whole thing is interesting as Presidents were scared as hell about potential conflicts of interest and constitutional stuff. Obama sold all his stocks, Carter was forced to sell his peanut farm. Donnie just doesn't care.

Nothing will happen, but the real fascinating thing is the amount of case law on this particular constitutional subject: absolutely loving nothing.

On top of that, it's completely unclear how the Supreme Court would enforce this kind of thing. Donnie could easily tell them to gently caress off, since he's the organization owner, so maybe they'd have to go after the underlings in the organization? Or would similar companies have the right to sue the Trump Organization into oblivion? Who knows?

Edit: whoa wait a minute https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874105239615524864

Prediction: Every court will punt this as a political question that congress can deal with through impeachment. (which they won't)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Prediction: Every court will punt this as a political question that congress can deal with through impeachment. (which they won't)

idk how this poo poo works but....file it in california?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The tax returns are what they're after. It's all worth it if they can release them to the public.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

Not wrong!

Waroduce posted:

idk how this poo poo works but....file it in california?

You can't really judge-shop like that because you have to prove that you have Standing, basically proof that you are the one harmed by the action. That's why the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) can't just say "I am suing the President because I want ethics in government and he is harming me by being unethical" because people would sue the government over absolutely every little thing in that case.

That's why the CREW lawsuit has a bunch of hoteliers and private businesses on the lawsuit that are in direct competition with the Trump Organization to prove that they have standing. In this case above, DC and Maryland are claiming they have standing because of the Trump International in DC eating up the Saudi/Kuwaiti meetings and stifling competition throughout the state, or some argument like that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Bankruptcy and corruption

I can't help but feel that Puerto Rico is only interested in statehood now because they think it will convince Congress to open up the money tap and fix their budget problems.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can't help but feel that Puerto Rico is only interested in statehood now because they think it will convince Congress to open up the money tap and fix their budget problems.

If I have to pay extra taxes to get basically permanently-locked Democratic senators into office I'll loving do it with a smile on my face.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

If I have to pay extra taxes to get basically permanently-locked Democratic senators into office I'll loving do it with a smile on my face.

We're all already well aware that you fully condone any policy irrespective of principle or cost so long as it helps the Democratic party.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why do yall think puerto rico would be two blue senators? They're pretty heavily catholic although I don't know what their stance on abortion is.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bird food bathtub posted:

The irony of it all is that we already pay federal taxes.

Reverand maynard posted:

why do yall think puerto rico would be two blue senators? They're pretty heavily catholic although I don't know what their stance on abortion is.

republicans hate Hispanics and catholics, so yes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Ah yes the tried and true "they're brown so they'll go blue" gambit, last seen paying dividends in the 2016 election

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

Ah yes the tried and true "they're brown so they'll go blue" gambit, last seen paying dividends in the 2016 election

uh oh

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is coming out in October. It looks like you get to kill Klansmen this time too. Plenty timely too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is coming out in October. It looks like you get to kill Klansmen this time too. Plenty timely too.

New far cry and new Wolfenstein, too many virtual racists, too little time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That's why the main character is BJ Blazkowicz

If he'd been in inglorious bastards that movie would have been very short but glorious.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

orange juche posted:

New far cry and new Wolfenstein, too many virtual racists, too little time.

They're economically insecure

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/874019528925171712

Same rally as those pics the other day with combat mum and utility kilt man.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Abongination posted:

Same rally as those pics the other day with combat mum and utility kilt man.

combat mum and utility kilt man make a cameo in the video!

edit: upon further viewing i think just utility kilt makes it. combat mum in this one is a different combat mum.

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 12, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Keebler Klansman to testify to Senate Intel in open session tomorrow, 2:30PM EST.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874282800676995073

Should be interesting!

Oh and comedy from Donnie about his administration slots https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/874283343155691520

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/874284206700056577

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 12, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
What's the big deal about the Keebler Klansman testifying? What's he gonna say, 'Yup, Donnie J is in Putin's pocket and takes direct orders from Moscow, Heil Hydra'?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BigDave posted:

What's the big deal about the Keebler Klansman testifying? What's he gonna say, 'Yup, Donnie J is in Putin's pocket and takes direct orders from Moscow, Heil Hydra'?

Maybe his strong Christian morals will surface and he will do the right thing.

lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
He will say 'I don't recall'. GOP will say 'look see it's okay!!!'. Everything back to normal.

Believe me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

It's more about whether he helped Trump obstruct justice and why he was involved influence firing Comey.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

It's actually worth watching the hearing because Sessions is real dumb and will probably contradict both himself and his boss multiple times.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

He first lied to the Senate during his confirmation.

It later came out that he lied so he recused himself from the Russia investigation and amended his statement to the Senate.

In his testimony last week, Comey strongly implied the FBI was aware Sessions was going to recuse himself weeks before he actually did it AND strongly implied there was more going on with Sessions than could be discussed in an unclassified setting.

It then immediately leaked from the classified session that there was another meeting with the Russian ambassador that Sessions didn't disclosed.

So the FBI is aware of poo poo Sessions did, Sessions has now lied twice to the Senate (including after having had a perfect opportunity to fully correct the record and didn't), it's leaked to the press, and now he's going to testify to the Senate again.

He's unlikely to finger Trump over anything but he's in the poo poo up to his eyeballs.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ooh, this will be a moment!

https://twitter.com/MLevineReports/status/874294139373924352

Also there's a full cabinet meeting going on and every single one of them is being forced to praise Donnie and suck his dick, then Mattis just praised the troops and that was it.

Edit: good line https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/874297177056710657

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 12, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
As much as I post Donnie bullshit, Trump Tweets are now officially a part of the official Supreme Court record.

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/874302984091553792

:psyduck:

And a member of Congress was just officially sentenced to four days of jail time (though he won't actually serve them) https://twitter.com/wabermes/status/874302131578208258

Edit: converted to community service https://twitter.com/wabermes/status/874303710138073088

https://twitter.com/wabermes/status/874304394464043009

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 12, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Incoming investor lawsuits as Uber CEO is on a leave of absence. I think after losing yet another billion dollars according to their non-gaap accounting that shareholders have had enough. I don't see uber sticking around for much longer and the promise of "self driving ubers" is loving fantasy especially after google finishes suing them into the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh well time to download Lyft

• Locked thread