Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I bought it for 12$ last time it went on sale, definitely worth it, fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Looking for the legendary Alkamos rings, so if anyone has them hit me up either in PMs here or on the Discord: https://discord.gg/5JvYWBk

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How do you make $$$?

I'm nearing the end of normal and I'm constantly broke as gently caress, and everything is ridiculously expensive

e: As an addendum to that, if someone could point me in the direction of a highly mobile offensive build, I'd love to mess with something like that after playing a fairly boring and largely stationary Aether Ray arcanist through the game.

victrix fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 20, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

victrix posted:

How do you make $$$?

I'm nearing the end of normal and I'm constantly broke as gently caress, and everything is ridiculously expensive

e: As an addendum to that, if someone could point me in the direction of a highly mobile offensive build, I'd love to mess with something like that after playing a fairly boring and largely stationary Aether Ray arcanist through the game.
Pick up all the yellow+ items you find and truck back to town when your bags are full. Don't buy gear unless it's amazing. Sell potions once you get a full stack of each; they don't go for much but you get roughly a billion of them in every zone.
Alternatively, get GD Defiler and set your money to a half million whenever you make a new character. :v:

As for a highly mobile build, I've been building towards this and it's been pretty amazing. Blitz and Shadow Strike let you charge about like you're high on PCP, the defensive stuff from soldier lets you facetank just about everything, and the devotion powers give you enough passive aoe to slaughter anything that gets near you. And if you get in trouble, blade barrier+pneumatic burst+potion is enough to bring you back to full health. The only thing I've had any trouble with is fighting packs of mobs on that stupid aetherfire ground DoT. I have yet to die in a real fight.

Edit: took a point out of Scars of Battle for Nidalla's Justifiable Ends and my sheet dps almost doubled. Definitely worth the loss of 4% bleed resist, since everything else it gives is overcapped.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 21, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Grim Dawn is 50% off to celebrate selling 1m copies. Tell your cheapass friends!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Grim Dawn is 50% off to celebrate selling 1m copies. Tell your cheapass friends!

Just picked up a copy but I feel like I'm missing something.

So far the aesthetic and gameplay feels almost identical to Diablo 3 and my reaction is very much "meh, been there, done that" but I'm pretty sure that's a false impression since
I've only played for a few hours. Do I just need to push through the initial hurdle and level up enough to open up for some fun builds and new mechanics?

I'm enjoying the gunplay a lot though so if someone's got a fun demolition build or something that'll get me started I'd really appreciate it :)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

PerilPastry posted:

Just picked up a copy but I feel like I'm missing something.

So far the aesthetic and gameplay feels almost identical to Diablo 3 and my reaction is very much "meh, been there, done that" but I'm pretty sure that's a false impression since
I've only played for a few hours. Do I just need to push through the initial hurdle and level up enough to open up for some fun builds and new mechanics?

I'm enjoying the gunplay a lot though so if someone's got a fun demolition build or something that'll get me started I'd really appreciate it :)

The difference is in character customization. Diablo 3 has like 8 different stats, characters can have, now, whereas Grim Dawn probably has close to 100. It's not exclusively a good thing (Do we really need like 14 different resists?) but it allows for much greater customization than D3. The itemization is also miles better, for much the same reason.

Gunplay:
Demolitionist/Occultist go well together for 2-handed ranged combat. The skills synergize well (Demo has an auto-attack replacer but no exclusive skill, Occultist has the best exclusive skill in the game but no auto-attack replacer) and there's endgame itemization available. Just make sure you pick up the Kraken devotion mastery ASAP.

Dual-wield is a bit tougher. There's no obvious DW-ranged class in the game currently, but one is coming in the expansion soon (Inquisitor). There's plenty of really good pistols though, so you can go for a physical damage build (probably Demo/Soldier) or an elemental/magic damage build (probably Demo or Shaman combined with Occultist or Arcanist)

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

PerilPastry posted:

I've had a good time dual-wielding with a Demo/Nightblade build. Mostly focused on Fire strike tree, auras and grenades for Demo, with the -Pierce Resist aura and healing skill from NB. It's probably nowhere near optimal, but it's fun to go Yosemite Sam through a dungeon, especially with that skill that gives your bullets splash damage. Takes a bit to get there though, I think the dual-pistol items are all minimum level 20-something.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Just finished leveling & gearing that blademaster and holy poo poo it's insane. I can facetank pretty much everything, and if I'm really in danger I can just blade barrier and wait for everything to die from frostburn damage while I heal up. The only things that get really scary are the last ~20 waves of challenger/gladiator crucible and even then it's just a matter of staying on top of your defenses.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Amateur Sketch posted:

I've had a good time dual-wielding with a Demo/Nightblade build. Mostly focused on Fire strike tree, auras and grenades for Demo, with the -Pierce Resist aura and healing skill from NB. It's probably nowhere near optimal, but it's fun to go Yosemite Sam through a dungeon, especially with that skill that gives your bullets splash damage. Takes a bit to get there though, I think the dual-pistol items are all minimum level 20-something.

Occultist over Nightblade will do basically all the same things (attack speed, healing, resistance reduction) and others (damage reduction, slowed monsters, bonus damage and resists) on top :)

I honestly cannot see a point to Nightblade unless you
1) Dual-wield melee
2) Run Soulrend
or
3) Run a janky cold-caster build of some sort.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

The Mash posted:

The difference is in character customization. Diablo 3 has like 8 different stats, characters can have, now, whereas Grim Dawn probably has close to 100. It's not exclusively a good thing (Do we really need like 14 different resists?) but it allows for much greater customization than D3. The itemization is also miles better, for much the same reason.

Gunplay:
Demolitionist/Occultist go well together for 2-handed ranged combat. The skills synergize well (Demo has an auto-attack replacer but no exclusive skill, Occultist has the best exclusive skill in the game but no auto-attack replacer) and there's endgame itemization available. Just make sure you pick up the Kraken devotion mastery ASAP.

Dual-wield is a bit tougher. There's no obvious DW-ranged class in the game currently, but one is coming in the expansion soon (Inquisitor). There's plenty of really good pistols though, so you can go for a physical damage build (probably Demo/Soldier) or an elemental/magic damage build (probably Demo or Shaman combined with Occultist or Arcanist)

Thanks a lot, Mash. I think I'll hold off on the gun build until I get a better handle on things. Ended up going with the Time Dilation Sorcerer from the OP for now.

Overall it seems you're spoiled for choices with GD which makes the game a little less approachable; particularly since you can't respec freely and on the fly like in D3.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PerilPastry posted:

Overall it seems you're spoiled for choices with GD which makes the game a little less approachable; particularly since you can't respec freely and on the fly like in D3.
It can be a bit overwhelming with the choice paralysis, but you can respec quite a bit before it starts getting expensive and drat if it doesn't add replay value to the game.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I just started playing again, trying out a poison caster. Is it supposed to be this powerful? :psyduck: I just killed the Warden, and the whole time Focused Gaze DEE has killing off entire packs before the poison even runs its course and I didn't even need to use the curse unless there's a hero in the group. I'm not even using anything from the stash, just random yellows, though I did manage to find a Slithtongue and enough bits for a complete Mutagenic Ichor.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Damegane posted:

I just started playing again, trying out a poison caster. Is it supposed to be this powerful? :psyduck: I just killed the Warden, and the whole time Focused Gaze DEE has killing off entire packs before the poison even runs its course and I didn't even need to use the curse unless there's a hero in the group. I'm not even using anything from the stash, just random yellows, though I did manage to find a Slithtongue and enough bits for a complete Mutagenic Ichor.

Poison is one of the strongest damage types in the game, maybe the strongest, so yeah. :)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It'd be nice if there was a ranged Poison devotion among the new expansion Constellations, most of them are built around melee.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah my barf guy is the strongest character I've made and the only one I've bothered to go into playthrough 2 with. Although as I move toward the end of playthrough 2 it hasn't felt as satisfying since your power increases slower than the enemies get spongier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Apparently they're turning beasts into an official enemy faction with the expansion. What, do the yetis have a union?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

When is the expansion anyway?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Digirat posted:

Apparently they're turning beasts into an official enemy faction with the expansion. What, do the yetis have a union?

Does this mean we're getting Nemesis Cows?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I've wanted beasts as a faction since forever. More bosses is more better. Having a crow nemesis would be sweet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've wanted beasts as a faction since forever. More bosses is more better. Having a crow nemesis would be sweet.

If it means we get more manticores spawning as your rep drops with the beasts, and thus more chances than "lol yeah right" at getting some goddamn manticore eyes, I'm super in favor.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Beasts were always a faction if you looked at memory addresses, killing beasts does add to that counter, So more enemies spawn and heroes come with time. They just don't have a nemesis.

Edit: So don't get too excited, Devs are just adding a nemesis to them.

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 12, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I hope it's a rabbit, or maybe a steampunk-cyborg emu. Emus beat the Australian armed forces that one time. Must be pretty fierce.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Gigantic boar would be best imo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I hope it's a rabbit, or maybe a steampunk-cyborg emu. Emus beat the Australian armed forces that one time. Must be pretty fierce.
These would both be awesome but you know we're just gonna get a big red rifthound. Maybe a mosquito imported from florida.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The Mash posted:

Gigantic boar would be best imo.

Boarsquito

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It should be a bear, since apparently there aren't any in Cairn. Just a big pissed off grizzly, mad that you killed all its friends & family.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's gonna be a groble or some poo poo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Saddest option: It's just Rashalga, but once you max out the rep her name turns red and that stupid loving aura of hers is always up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I am new to this game, just bought it last week, and the friend who convinced me to buy it has 200+ hours and refuses to play on anything other than hardcore veteran. That...seems like a poor way to learn the game, IMO. So now I basically have to make a "fun" build for casually romping through the campaign and a min-maxed build capable of tanking the world to co-op with this maniac. Is there a benefit to hardcore besides bragging rights? I know veteran gives better loot and more interesting encounters and I haven't had an issue with that yet, but I'd like to see the end of the game someday.

Sort of lost in a world of potential builds - I've studied all the classes on grimcalc and a lot of them seem capable of more or less the same thing? What's the maximum amount of things you can build your character to do well before they're stretched thin?

My current dude is a 2H Elementalist with several points in Brute Force, Savagery, Primal Strike, and Flame Touched. Only level 13 so I don't think I've hosed anything up yet. Any recommendations? Should I focus down on electric damage or am I safe to work in fire too?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 14, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

People play something besides hardcore vet? :v:

I'm the weirdo that plays the original Diablo in single player (it's a roguelike! You can only save on exit and if you die, you dead). I'm not a jerk who makes my friends play tardcore, though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Veteran is the only worthwhile way to play 'normal' difficulty ( it doesn't affect the other two ), and I certainly wouldn't play hardcore but that's a matter of choice. It definitely impacts your skill choice and build options though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That's the biggest thing keeping me away. I keep having build ideas but then get told they aren't HC viable. I take it that means being a soldier, pumping physique, and stacking as many resistances as you can find?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm fairly sure Hardcore increases droprates for epics and whatnot after trying it a bunch.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah either you like hardcore or it's completely terrible and forcing other people to do it is lame.

Pvt.Scott posted:

People play something besides hardcore vet? :v:

I'm the weirdo that plays the original Diablo in single player (it's a roguelike! You can only save on exit and if you die, you dead). I'm not a jerk who makes my friends play tardcore, though.
I think people actually did that and it's what led them to put Hardcore into D2 actually?

I dunno that's a long ways back. But I can remember people setting up groups for one death no twink runs in D1, though maybe not described quite as such.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nothing validates my decision to never play hardcore quite like going for 30 hours with nothing eventful happening before instantly getting 100->0'd by something I never saw coming after having been lulled into a trance by the rest of the game

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The trick is that hardcore isn't about being a player with good twitch-reflexes and reading of the situation. Hardcore is about being a nerd who's good at characterbuilding so he doesn't die when he inevitably spaces out while fighting a bunch of mobs. Which is why I love it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mash posted:

The trick is that hardcore isn't about being a player with good twitch-reflexes and reading of the situation. Hardcore is about being a nerd who's good at characterbuilding so he doesn't die when he inevitably spaces out while fighting a bunch of mobs. Which is why I love it.
Until you get gibbed by some random yellow getting all of its procs and buffs at once, then charging into the pack you're busy fighting. Or the reflective hero turning on its shield and you not knowing about because the graphic for whatever reason decided to visualize slowly/not at all. Or a million other fiddly fuckups this game has that will end your day.

I'll never understand the hardcore mentality. I have characters that haven't died, and I'm happy about that, but I'd never want to have that be mandatory because holy poo poo I have enough "one fuckup and you are forever hosed/dead" bullshit in my life without adding video games onto that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm happy to play exclusively Hardcore in Diablo 3, where the spin-up time to 70 + good gear is a few hours, but Grim Dawn is a slower, more laborious process. So no hardcore for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I mostly play softcore because my friends are baby-rear end quitters, but I have one 85 hardcore characters and a couple others through ultimate just for the sake of pride