Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It's amazing that with Bernie gone that FOM can actually stretch out now.

Clearly they ahve some of the best media people working there and it's hilarious how restricted Bernie made everything.

Thanks, Bernie, for making the sport into what it is but also gently caress you, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

It's amazing that with Bernie gone that FOM can actually stretch out now.

Clearly they ahve some of the best media people working there and it's hilarious how restricted Bernie made everything.

Thanks, Bernie, for making the sport into what it is but also gently caress you, lol.

biggest auto racing story of the decade would not have happened if Bernie still ran things....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The raft race wasn't really an auto racing story

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sainz just got hit by a 3 place grid penalty for well done baku.

quote:

Carlos Sainz will lose three places on the Azerbaijan Grand Prix grid after having been penalised for his accident with Romain Grosjean in Canada.

The Toro Rosso driver made contact with the Haas of Grosjean ahead of Turn 3 on the opening lap, spinning and crashing first into the Williams of Felipe Massa and then into the wall.

Sainz argued he could not see Grosjean as he was in his blind spot.

"It's unfortunate because it's an incident that if I look back now there's actually nothing I could have done differently because when I checked my mirrors I never saw Romain on the right side," Sainz said.

The incident was investigated after the race and stewards found Sainz was to blame, saying his move was "careless and potentially dangerous."

"The driver of Car 55 claimed he checked his mirrors but that Car 8 was in his blind spot and therefore he did not see it," the stewards said.

"Notwithstanding this, and our conclusion that the collision was not caused by a deliberate act on the part of the driver of Car 55, we find that his assumption (as he stated) that there was no car alongside him and therefore he could move to that track position, was careless and potentially dangerous.

"This was evidenced by the further collision of Car 8 with Car 19, a direct result of this incident, which caused the retirement of Car 19."

The Spanish driver was handed a three-place grid penalty for the next event in Baku and also awarded two penalty points for a total of seven during the past 12 months.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-sainz-penalty-baku-917580/

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Humble Lewis

https://twitter.com/adamcooperf1/status/874032978497867777

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't Sainz tap Big John before the final shoving, or was that just nearly contact?

Could have been a whole lot worse, I think it's fortunate that he impacted quite cleanly into Massa.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

I missed watching quali because of the same thing tbh

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im racing!! If my partner wants a chance in the podium with the faster car he should pass me!!!

Get both cars passed by Vettel

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So, uh, Kvyat is in full meltdown mode.

quote:

Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat described Formula 1 stewarding as a "stupid f****** circus" and strongly criticised race director Charlie Whiting after a double Canadian Grand Prix penalty.

Kvyat's car failed to get away at the start of the Montreal formation lap, but he then contravened F1 regulations by reclaiming his 11th position on the grid.

The rules only permit a driver slow away to return to their grid slot if they can recover all the positions by the first safety car line, otherwise they must start from the pitlane.

Kvyat was initially given a drive-through penalty but the stewards later announced it should have been a 10-second stop/go penalty so made him take that penalty too.

"They have a job to do which is not so difficult in my opinion and they cannot do the job properly," said Kvyat. "They were clearly sleeping today in their office, so maybe they needed some coffee there.

"They should cancel this stupid rule. Who is this rule for? Are we taxi drivers here or Formula 1 drivers? I don't understand this. It's a circus, a stupid f****** circus.

"I will go and talk to Charlie. It's annoying me, it's really annoying me. A simple job, and he can't even do that job properly.

"Maybe it's better to go in the back room because now the heat is up for me I will not want to say anything wrong to any of them and I'm not really sure it's Charlie.

"I want to understand first of all who does this job. All I know is our team manager was for 10 laps arguing with the FIA that we shouldn't get another additional penalty and they said 'no, sorry, we have this'."

When Kvyat took the extra 10s penalty, a wheelnut problem caused a severe pitstop delay and prompted his subsequent retirement.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-kvyat-stewarding-stupid-circuit-917596/

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he is right

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you get hit with the wrong penalty and serve it then there's no way that you should also be given the "right" penalty.

He won't be around next year anyway.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

If you get hit with the wrong penalty and serve it then there's no way that you should also be given the "right" penalty.

Hell, I'm surprised he stuck around after his Red Bull demotion.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeh that's pretty harsh from the stewards, I'm with Kvyat on that point.
I guess they felt that the drive through wasn't enough of disadvantage once it had all been said and done, and someone who wasn't paying too much attention was like:
"Hey how come Kvyat is so far ahead? Hasn't he done his stop-go-penalty yet? It's been like 12 laps!"
And then everyone else in the stewards room just look at each other awkwardly while one of them is thinking "I done goofed"

Pretty sad tale for old Daniil over the last couple of years...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And it was a penalty for doing a thing that didn't disadvantage anybody - he took up his grid slot where he qualified and AFAIK the start wasn't delayed because of it. This is the Bernie-era pedantry that people are a bit sick of.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I haven't watched the race but:

God Bless Sir Patrick

God Bless Are Dan

God Bless Australia :australia:

LOL @ Max DNFing.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
am I the only one who's sick of shoeys, it makes me cringe every time I see it purely by virtue of how gross it must be

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Ferrari or Mercedes should just gift McLaren some engines with Honda branding on them. :(

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

This is a random thought and I'm a stat nerd, but last year every team scored points. When's the last time if ever that happened?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

dentist toy box posted:

This is a random thought and I'm a stat nerd, but last year every team scored points. When's the last time if ever that happened?

sigh... *fires up wikipedia*

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

dentist toy box posted:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm proud to be racing a Yamaha right now let me tell you

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Just got caught up on the race and I'm skipping all 600+ new posts. What a race! My highlights:

-gently caress Honda
-Lewis' hair looks like a bunch of pubes
-Phwoar Big Nando hanging with the crowd
-Go Colgate Bogan
-Shooey
-LOL verstrappon sucks
-Captain Jean Luc Piccard :swoon:

What a season so far, lads. :fap:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I've heard the race last year sucked, but I'm optimistic for Baku because I think it's fun as gently caress to drive on F1 2016

Drafting people on the front straight when you had a good race going was so satisfying.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Thanks Ants posted:

They could have just added the 10 seconds at the end of the race, which would have corrected the penalty without loving Kyvat over.

This is my cover letter to apply to be a race steward.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This race was garbage. Long live MotoGP.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Nah.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hold on to your butts, fuckos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwL19BaHY2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPpM_yhMEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGV0lAgr4so

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Stroll in the points bought me a new kart to replace the one i trashed this weekend. Thank you billionaire boy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Long live the good Italian, Andrea "Heidfeld with wins" Dovizioso.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

Stroll in the points bought me a new kart to replace the one i trashed this weekend. Thank you billionaire boy.

I found another set of Vega bin tires. Seems like there's great luck going round everywhere.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Long live the good Italian, Andrea "Heidfeld with wins" Dovizioso.

I lov the Dov

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Shoeys are so vile.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I love you but you're 100% wrong

Solid post

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Any MotoGP race not won by a Spainard is good.

Also Ott Tanak won WRC, and Ott Tanak owns, unlike noted fraud Seb Ogier.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Any MotoGP race not won by a Spainard is good.

Also Ott Tanak won WRC, and Ott Tanak owns, unlike noted fraud Seb Ogier.

Someone send this post to my family so it can be engraved on my tombstone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also Meeke has been sidelined by Citroen after binning it yet again.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also Meeke has been sidelined by Citroen after binning it yet again.

Their first mistake was entrusting Meeke as their lead factory driver to begin with!!!!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

It was an angel.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kilmers Elbow posted:

It was an angel.

Is that normal the trainers job?...oh..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Like steak, Trump only enjoys Well Done Baku.

• Locked thread