Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly Takumi being the final boss is pretty awesome because it's one of like ~3 times they've made a human the final boss.

Awakening doesn't count.

Dang I just realized there are exactly 5 final bosses in the series that arent dragons or human incarnations of dragons.

3 of those are just people(5,9,14).

Then you have a giant demon satan(8) and god(10) for the remaining two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Takumi is the final boss.

WHY?!

No really, what narrative purpose does this serve?! And on top of that, the avatar's been told flat out that he's already dead and they STILL let him kill them?! I reiterate: If I was the guy in charge of approving scripts, I would've told the writers to throw the entire thing away and start over, because this whole thing feels like they just went "oops, we just killed the main villain off a stage early, let's roll the dice to see who shows up to be the last boss of the map we just pulled out of our collective asses to fill our quota!"

I'm looking forward to the third route solely because it cannot possibly be this stupid. ...well, to be more accurate, it cannot be STUPIDER; it could very well be AS stupid, since it was apparently written by the same failures who made this train wreck.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 12, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Welp, time to have a spirit pow-wow with Lilith and Ryoma and whoever else they feel like having show up to tell us it's not our time to die yet. The Rainbow Sage, maybe? :shrug:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Seyser Koze posted:

Corrin's going to hug Takumi into not being dead anymore, isn't she?

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Welp, time to have a spirit pow-wow with Lilith and Ryoma and whoever else they feel like having show up to tell us it's not our time to die yet. The Rainbow Sage, maybe? :shrug:

Zola too! Oh and Kumagera or whatever his name was.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Clearly this is the time for ~THE GOOD KING GARON~ to finally make his entrance!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CptWedgie posted:

Takumi is the final boss.

WHY?!

No really, what narrative purpose does this serve?!

As has already been said, this makes sense as the ending of a story about siding with evil for the sake of the greater good (having to face the wrath of the good people you sacrificed along the way).

This game acts as if (re-)killing Takumi will somehow absolve Corrin of his death. I haven't played the game, but I won't be the least bit surprised (just disappointed) if undead Takumi comes back to his senses and forgives her for everything once he's defeated.

Tactics Ogre would've done this right.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 12, 2017

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Seyser Koze posted:

As has already been said, this makes perfect sense as the ending of a story about siding with evil for the sake of the greater good (having to face the wrath of the good people you sacrificed along the way).

This game acts as if (re-)killing Takumi will somehow absolve Corrin of his death. I haven't played the game, but I won't be the least bit surprised (just disappointed) if undead Takumi comes back to his senses and forgives her for everything once he's defeated.

Tactics Ogre would've done this right.

The problem with this being, we've already fought Takumi, what, five times now? It kind of kills the drama when we've fought him so many times already. Frankly, I think Sumeragi coming back to life solely to smack you upside the head for being stupid would be a better last boss, and that doesn't even make any sense!

Really, if they're gonna go with bringing a sibling back from the dead to serve as the last boss, I think Ryoma would probably work better, if only because he didn't show up quite as often as Takumi. Or maybe Yukimura rigged the place to explode shortly before you got there as a last resort and you've gotta prevent him from setting it all off, or Garon pulled the dragon out again, or SOMETHING that doesn't include fighting the same guy with arbitrarily higher stats and maybe different skills and equipment for the nth time.

My point is, Takumi's role in Conquest would've been served well enough if he'd just died at that wall and STAYED that way; this is starting to feel like Team Rocket or something, to use a Pokemon anime comparison, and you don't use the guy who's always complaining about being inferior to you after you prove him right as the last boss if you want anything resembling drama. Though really, Conquest seems to rely too much on the Hoshido royals as bosses in general.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It should have been Hinoka angry that you broke your promise and killed Ryoma after all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It should've been Mitoko's unmentioned brother.

Also he has a gun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

takumi being the final boss is fine, takumi being possessed when he has perfectly reasonable motivations without being possessed and not being possessed would make him a more effective antagonist isn't.

Seriously, Takumi is the one consistently written character in this game. He's jealous and resentful of Corrin, which is reasonable. He feels inferior to Ryoma, which is reasonable. He feels a need to protect his family after his father died and his sibling was kidnapped, which is reasonable. All of his characters traits actually fit with his personality, and viceversa, and they're all explained by his backstory and place in the world. He's a good character. He even has retainers who you can imagine him getting along with and trusting and who emphasize different parts of his personality. Every other royal only has one of those two things with their retainers.

He makes perfect sense as the final boss without possession. You killed his family, you invaded his land, he doesn't care that you just overthrew Garon because as far as he's concerned you're just as bad as him, even if you did all this in service to killing Garon. It's the closest thing to a reasonable moral point and, in the vague sense, is an actual situation where both sides have valid reasons for doing the things they've done and yet can never make peace.

But whoops, possessed by demon, goodbye.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 12, 2017

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

takumi being the final boss is fine...

While this (and the rest of your post, which is omitted for brevity) may be true in normal circumstances, it's kind of watered down by just how overexposed the audience is to him as a boss. I mean, when I'm playing a game and I reach the end, the LAST reaction I want to have to the last boss is "oh, no, not HIM again." I mean, yeah, I can understand it with stuff like Mega Man since at least those are separate INCIDENTS and they at least mix up Dr. Wily's patterns between entries so they're all distinct experiences despite all being the same guy. In Fire Emblem, though, where literally the only mechanical changes between two units of the same class are their stats and gear, and ESPECIALLY an entry where you've already fought the same guy 4 times? They'd probably get a better reaction out of me by inventing an entirely new character just for the role than with Takumi YET AGAIN.

Hell, why not go with Kiragi if they're so set on the last boss being an archer? It'd show that the Deeprealms are actually a thing in-story (and that the Avatar doesn't have exclusive access to them, even if they may have EASIER access because Protagonist Privileges), he'd have almost as much reason to attack you as Takumi himself (between the fact that he plainly enjoys combat, his characterization of not always paying attention when others tell him what to do, and the fact that he's probably pissed off that you killed his father at the least, and probably his mother too), and- as a side-bonus- you wouldn't be stuck fighting the last boss an average of every five-ish stages, which makes the fight itself feel a LOT more climactic than "stop following me already!"

On an unrelated note, am I the only one who thinks he's using some sort of corrupted Fujin Yumi right now?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I dunno, if anything it makes way more sense that the recurring sibling would be back to avenge their dead oldest brother and the mass of massacred citizens and defenseless soldiers Corrrin left in their wake than anything else since it's all thematic and poo poo. But yeah it's not quite the time to go super in depth on how dumb possessed Takumi as far as this conversation goes because it gets even worse.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

Tae posted:

I am to blame for much of the heartache in his life... I chose this path. I do not regret it...

Corrine posted:

No! I can't accept that!! Are you saying I must now defeat my own brother? Killing my father wasn't enough?!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

What she means is she doesn't regret choosing this path, but does regret some of the things she's done on it since then. Which doesn't quite work either if we take the Azura support into account.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

While this (and the rest of your post, which is omitted for brevity) may be true in normal circumstances, it's kind of watered down by just how overexposed the audience is to him as a boss. I mean, when I'm playing a game and I reach the end, the LAST reaction I want to have to the last boss is "oh, no, not HIM again." I mean, yeah, I can understand it with stuff like Mega Man since at least those are separate INCIDENTS and they at least mix up Dr. Wily's patterns between entries so they're all distinct experiences despite all being the same guy. In Fire Emblem, though, where literally the only mechanical changes between two units of the same class are their stats and gear, and ESPECIALLY an entry where you've already fought the same guy 4 times? They'd probably get a better reaction out of me by inventing an entirely new character just for the role than with Takumi YET AGAIN.

Hell, why not go with Kiragi if they're so set on the last boss being an archer? It'd show that the Deeprealms are actually a thing in-story (and that the Avatar doesn't have exclusive access to them, even if they may have EASIER access because Protagonist Privileges), he'd have almost as much reason to attack you as Takumi himself (between the fact that he plainly enjoys combat, his characterization of not always paying attention when others tell him what to do, and the fact that he's probably pissed off that you killed his father at the least, and probably his mother too), and- as a side-bonus- you wouldn't be stuck fighting the last boss an average of every five-ish stages, which makes the fight itself feel a LOT more climactic than "stop following me already!"

On an unrelated note, am I the only one who thinks he's using some sort of corrupted Fujin Yumi right now?

You might have the power to write a Conquest worse then what we already have.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Endorph posted:

takumi being the final boss is fine, takumi being possessed when he has perfectly reasonable motivations without being possessed and not being possessed would make him a more effective antagonist isn't.

Seriously, Takumi is the one consistently written character in this game. He's jealous and resentful of Corrin, which is reasonable. He feels inferior to Ryoma, which is reasonable. He feels a need to protect his family after his father died and his sibling was kidnapped, which is reasonable. All of his characters traits actually fit with his personality, and viceversa, and they're all explained by his backstory and place in the world. He's a good character. He even has retainers who you can imagine him getting along with and trusting and who emphasize different parts of his personality. Every other royal only has one of those two things with their retainers.

He makes perfect sense as the final boss without possession. You killed his family, you invaded his land, he doesn't care that you just overthrew Garon because as far as he's concerned you're just as bad as him, even if you did all this in service to killing Garon. It's the closest thing to a reasonable moral point and, in the vague sense, is an actual situation where both sides have valid reasons for doing the things they've done and yet can never make peace.

But whoops, possessed by demon, goodbye.
Honestly I feel like he'd be a more effective final boss if he just embraced his possession instead of the game acting like he's not really aware of it and insisting that he's clearly a good guy underneath it all. Dude's been through a ton of poo poo and I wouldn't have batted an eye if he just went "Oh, I'm possessed by a demon that could give me the power to finally kill my most hated enemy? Well gently caress YEAH LET'S DO THIS THING!"

Not sure if that would have made Corrine act like less of an idiot with him, but it would have been something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

I disagree, and you're bad at both writing and gameplay design, possibly worse at both of these things than the staff of fire emblem fates, and also the bosses are the least interesting part of Fire Emblem mechanically.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Honestly I feel like he'd be a more effective final boss if he just embraced his possession instead of the game acting like he's not really aware of it and insisting that he's clearly a good guy underneath it all. Dude's been through a ton of poo poo and I wouldn't have batted an eye if he just went "Oh, I'm possessed by a demon that could give me the power to finally kill my most hated enemy? Well gently caress YEAH LET'S DO THIS THING!"

Not sure if that would have made Corrine act like less of an idiot with him, but it would have been something.
That would have been a good way to reconcile the possession if they really needed it in there.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
#BlameTakumi or #PraiseTakumi

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Last time on Conquest, Corrine said she won't die and then let a demon attempt to kill her multiple times.

Standard stuff for the route at this point.

Okay, so we got a heartfelt conversation with Xander and Elise. You know, two people who directly died at a spur of the moment by Corrine being there.

You may recall that Corrine's track record is...less bloody. The only canonical kill she has is...Kaden? And...the corpse that was Garon?

Oh hi, Mikoto. For some reason you're here and not in Birthright...?

M-Mother?

You’re right where you belong, my love. Did you sleep well? You’ve always been such a sleepyhead, even when you were a baby. You’d always put up such a fuss whenever I tried to wake you up. So cute!
Hm… Really?
My sweet girl, didn’t Ryoma promise to train with you today? If you don’t get up right now, you’ll be late! You know how much he hates tardiness.

Now is not the time for sleep, darling Corrine. I wish I could let you stay… Let you sleep forever so I could keep you here with me.
But I can’t be selfish… You have so much left to do.
Mother? What are you--?
Corrine! Are you really still in bed? Why am I not surprised?

Hi, brother-who-killed-himself. How's the Bushido after-life?

I told you your brother would not tolerate being kept waiting, haha!
Grab your blade and meet me in the castle garden, lazy sister. The longer you make me wait, the harder this training session will be on you.
OK… I’ll be right there… But where did I leave my…
That’s odd…

What’s wrong, Corrine?
I can’t find my sword…
But that’s OK. I’m sure I can find another one around here somewhere.
Are you sure you don’t want to find your Yato, Corrine? Don’t you need it?
Ha! So, you think if you beat me with your Yato, you can save the world. Is that it?
Mother? Ryoma? What are you—

This is more time with Mikoto than the last...oh, 52 chapters combined.

...Man, this has been a long journey.

Surely you haven’t forgotten my dying words?
Your…dying words?!
… I’m counting on you, Corrine… That’s what I told you isn’t it? Isn’t it, Sister?
!!

"Before you became tasty lobster meat!"

And now suddenly we're outside.

Ryoma… Wh-where am I?! Did Takumi’s last attack…kill me?

...Holy poo poo, she actually expected to just take those shots and live through them.

Nearly, but you can still go back to that world if your desire is strong enough. If you wish to keep fighting, you can return to your precious allies.
Back to…my allies?

Please, we need you to wake up! You can’t die here!!
Corrine…is dead…at last. She will never…open his eyes…again.
Bite your tongue, beast! Corrine is not dead. She WILL return to us! I won’t allow such a grotesque monster to take anyone else from me!
You are…next…Prince Xander. I will…kill you!!

*Sounds of arrows hitting*

AHHHH!!
Those voices! That was… Xander and Azura!! My friends and loved ones are still fighting Takumi?!

OH MY GOD

The bitterness entrapping Takumi is stronger than you know. The beast within will not be satisfied until he has destroyed all Nohrians.
But your allies—they won’t give up on you. They believe that you will return to them. They believe you will rise and fight with them once more.
Gods…

My friends! My family! I hear your cries… I must go back to my world… I must stop Takumi!
So you have decided to return…
Yes, Ryoma. I’m so sorry…but it’s not my time yet. I wish I could stay with you and Mother forever… But standing still is not an option. I have a world to save!

Wait, so she didn't want to die. She didn't expect to die from that attack. But now it's written right now as if she considered staying.

I see. You really are my sister, after all. But before you go, there’s someone who wishes to speak with you…
There is? Who?

If anyone's in love with the idea that Takumi is the final boss because it's the ultimate end result of her choice to join Nohr...

Well, don't read past this?

Aren’t you in the middle of fighting my allies? How can you be here too?
I am here and here alone. That thing is not me.

Though I cannot truly be free while my body is imprisoned…

YEP

Takumi died way back when he jumped off that wall. If you didn't believe Azura, then here it is. That "Takumi" is literally just a dead corpse animated by purple magic. Any and all meaning behind choices and consequence is out the window, because it's just another fight with the semi-transparent army.

Takumi… That’s horrible! Is there nothing I can do?!
There is. Please, Corrine… I need you to destroy my body. Only your Yato has the power to release it from its unholy master.
But Takumi, my Yato is—
Yes, I know it was shattered by that monster’s last attack. That’s why you’ll need to take this…my Fujin Yumi. With this, I know you can find a way to restore your Yato’s sacred power.

You are literally in the afterlife. You know you're in the afterlife. What.

Take it. I won’t accept no for an answer. You’re the only one I can count on… Though it pains me, those of us here are powerless to affect your world.
Please…I need you to set me free.
Takumi…
I won’t let you down. I vow on your precious Fujin Yumi to free your body, no matter what!

*Corrine takes the bow*

I wonder…what it would have been like to fight on the same side as you.

BUY THE OTHER ROUTES, BUY THE OTHER ROUTES

I always wished we could have been close, as you are with your Nohrian siblings. Right up until my last moments, I wanted so badly to call you my sister. To look up to you and love you…and never allow anything to come between us. I wish I had told you that before I died. While there was still a chance…

Yes, you read that right

TAKUMI FORGIVES CORRINE. All that hatred and actual, legit reason of her ruining his kingdom and family? All gone. He was just jealous that Leo got more sibling love from Corrine than him.

And considering this is the afterlife, probably knows that his entire life's ruin was for a chair plan.

The truth is, I longed to have you accept me as your sister too. I never let go of the dream that after the war we could all be together again…
I’m so sorry things turned out the way they did.
It’s all right, Corrine. We finally got to say all the things we needed to say. You have done more than enough. My heart… It’s finally at peace. Thank you, Sister…

"You destroyed my kingdom, killed my mother, put Ryoma in a situation where he killed himself, and generally committed nation-wide death across the land!"

"I'm really, really sorry!"

"Well, okay."

Takumi!!

It is because you have a pure heart. Kind and strong. You have suffered much and endured much sadness in your life. But now is not the time to look back. Wake up and stand strong. Put one foot in front of the other and press onward.
Fight with all your heart to end this war. The Yato chose you for a reason. You can do this. I believe in you.

"Stop this war that you kinda started."

Also, the war's over. She's just going to fight demons now.

I won’t let you down, Ryoma. I’ll fight as though you are fighting beside me. And this time, I’ll keep my promise to you. I won’t give up!
As for you…please rest peacefully, Brother, and watch over us and your kingdom.
Oh, Corrine… You’re so sweet when you’re dreaming. Just like the little girl I held so long ago… All that time, I longed to be near you, to watch you grow.

No matter where you go or what you do… No matter who stands at your side… Know that I will always, always love you.
When we next meet here, I look forward to seeing the great woman you’ve grown into.
I will do all I can to make you proud. That’s a promise, Mother.
Thank you, my sweet child. Hearing you call me that…means everything to me. Go now… I will watch the rest of your journey unfold from afar.

Where is Lilith

Show them what you’re made of, Corrine!
We’ll all be together again someday, Corrine! Good-bye…
Good-bye everyone! Until we meet again!!

Oh, there she is. As randomly here as she randomly died.

Lilith!!
It’s time for you to return home. Please take my hand.
Thank you, Lilith.

I can feel your kindness radiating through at the slightest touch. I always recall how gentle you were when you rescued me… And how kind you were to me, even though you were locked away from the world… And how bravely you fought against those who would harm the ones you love… I love everything about you, my friend. I hope you know that…
Lilith… My dear friend, I love you too. I always will.

For a route that's been lacking in actual deaths to fill in afterlife screentime, they managed to shortchange Lilith. Appropriate, I guess.

Thank you, Lady Corrine.

But I won’t be sad! You were so brave when I died, so I’ll be brave for you too.

When was she brave??

I wish you the best of luck, Corrine, and all the happiness in the world!
Good-bye, Lilith! And thank you!

I’m going back…back to where I was before… My battle is not yet won. I must keep pushing forward! Fujin Yumi… Please, hear my plea!

Yeah, the Fujin Yumi is becoming the Yato. Possibly the only thing better than Birthright which just materizlied the sword out of nothing.

Allow me to lay your master’s body to rest. For Takumi!!

Thank you, Fujin Yumi… Thank you, Takumi…
Corrine! Everyone, Corrine has returned to us!
I’m so sorry, everyone! I’m back where I belong now. Ryoma, Takumi, and the others helped me find my way back here. Back to you. I’m ready to fight!
This is so wonderful! My darling Corrine has come back to me!
I knew you wouldn’t fall so easily. I taught you too well, haha.
I was so worried I wouldn’t get to hug you again! I’m SO HAPPY!!

No matter…how long it takes… I…will…KiLL…yOu!!
!!

It will not break, beast. This sacred blade will never be shattered by evil again! The power of Takumi’s Fujin Yumi…and the love of everyone I’ve fought with and for… They are all locked inside my Yato! That means it will never falter…and neither will I!
My Fujin Yumi…has…betrayed me?!
No! The Fujin Yumi doesn’t belong to you. It belongs to my brother!

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH......

I chose this path, and I will walk it until the very end. I WILL make things right again! I WILL defeat you and keep all the promises I made to my loved ones!
I will…kill you…filthy Nohrian!! I am…the true…Hoshidan prince… I am…Takumi!! I aM tAkUmI!! I will defend my Hoshido…and destroy Nohr.
All Nohrians must die! ALL OF YOU! DIE, DIE DIIIIEEEE!!

Takumi, I’m sorry it took us so long to finally see eye to eye… But I will save both your kingdom and mine, I promise! This will be my… No… This will be OUR final battle!!

Tae fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 13, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I actually completely forgot that Takumi was dead here.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think Takumi became a spooky ghost in Conquest roughly about the same time he becomes one in Birthright. I think he was "dead" way before chapter 23. Not that it changes much.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"I aM tAkUmI i WiLl DeFeNd My HoShIdO"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The armor shell is doing these scenes favors they don't deserve. A+ choice.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Well, this is going to be underwhelming. At least with Birthright the final boss was something that was in the story for a bit. Here, big climactic battle against... some dude none of you (except probably Azura, but she's not saying anything) have ever heard of. In a Takumi suit.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Fates always felt like a money-grubbing cop out with its garbage "I can't tell you anything about what is happening" lack of exposition. every other line is just BUY REVELATIONS in some other form and it annoys the poo poo out of me

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So basically Takumi had absolutely no agency in what he did during Conquest. Because his corpse being used as a puppet by something.

I don't even know what to say to the rest of that update or the entire endgame, really. :psyduck:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i can't believe there were people seriously saying this was the less dumb plot

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I kind of think that the writers assume a lot more intrinsic investment in Takumi than you do. I mean, I played Conquest first and thus I didn't really have attachment to this character. Corrinne doesn't know Takumi, not really. I mean, the idea that he's a corpse puppet is sad, I guess... but if you don't already care about Takumi it's like "okay whatever."

They really did assume you played Birthright first, didn't they?

EDIT: Although, for all intents and purposes, I do think that Conquest makes better use of the Takumi possession plot-point than Birthright did, if only because it comes to SOMETHING

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 13, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Okay, see, I'm one of those guys who, even if the gameplay isn't all that good, I can still have fun if it's a good story... and Fates is really making me regret getting everything for it.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

AriadneThread posted:

i can't believe there were people seriously saying this was the less dumb plot

We haven't even gotten on Mr. Revelations Wild Ride yet.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

No, I'm pretty sure that he was being manipulated during Conquest, and only died when the thing that possessed him forced him to jump off the Great wall of Hoshido. So yes, the thing that is moving Takumi's body did kill him.

He wasn't dead earlier, because the same thing happened to him in Birthright and he wasn't a zombie there. Unless he was :ghost:.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, see, I'm one of those guys who, even if the gameplay isn't all that good, I can still have fun if it's a good story... and Fates is really making me regret getting everything for it.

I dunno why everyone is so down on Conquest's maps in this thread; I enjoyed the hell out of Conquest as a game. (Well, except on lunatic, although I'd still rather play Conquest lunatic than Awakening Lunatic)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Yeah, I think Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is fun enough that I'd buy a sequel if one came out.

This story is even worse, somehow.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
I really feel that Corrine's talk with her ghost family should have gone differently.

What happened in Hoshido was out of my control...
Was it? None of this would have happened if you had just thought! But on you marched! And for what?!
We tried to save you...
You're no savior. Your talents lie elsewhere...

Last Spec Ops: The Line reference from me. Promise

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Conquest's map design is really good in general, and frankly you can skip the story after you've rolled your eyes at it once.

I still maintain that Fates would have a much stronger foundation if the main characters were Takumi and Leo.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Camel Pimp posted:

I dunno why everyone is so down on Conquest's maps in this thread; I enjoyed the hell out of Conquest as a game. (Well, except on lunatic, although I'd still rather play Conquest lunatic than Awakening Lunatic)

I don't hate the maps, I just get more into the story than the gameplay. My issue is with Fates' story as a whole because the plot is SO bad, and seems to just get worse and worse, and I'm wondering how I never noticed a lot of this.

Edit: That said, good gameplay and challenging maps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

conquest's map variety is for poo poo and it has some pretty terrible maps thrown in there too, like wind village or fox village. it's basically just a bunch of tiny cramped boxes with gimmicks of varying stupidity. some of the maps are still good (soleil's, the first and third takumi maps) but this game desperately needed some kind of cog of destiny equivalent, or two.

More than that, I kind of dislike how much they rely on random, contextless gimmicks to provide difficulty and variety when games like FE7 and FE5 manage a lot of vareity (and difficulty in FE5's case) with mostly just the basic mechanics. Battle Before Dawn wouldn't be improved if there were random pots that gave you -2 def when you broke them but if you used a dragon vein when the moon is full they'd give you +2 def instead.

Not to say this game's map design is terrible, or anything, I just think they had some good maps and then some maps that were trying way too hard to be good. If you could swap out conquest's worst maps with Birthright's best ones, it'd be a lot better, not just because you're replacing bad maps with decent ones but because it'd give the game more variety and some breather maps.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

conquest's map variety is for poo poo and it has some pretty terrible maps thrown in there too, like wind village or fox village. it's basically just a bunch of tiny cramped boxes with gimmicks of varying stupidity. some of the maps are still good (soleil's, the first and third takumi maps) but this game desperately needed some kind of cog of destiny equivalent, or two.

More than that, I kind of dislike how much they rely on random, contextless gimmicks to provide difficulty and variety when games like FE7 and FE5 manage a lot of vareity (and difficulty in FE5's case) with mostly just the basic mechanics. Battle Before Dawn wouldn't be improved if there were random pots that gave you -2 def when you broke them but if you used a dragon vein when the moon is full they'd give you +2 def instead.

Not to say this game's map design is terrible, or anything, I just think they had some good maps and then some maps that were trying way too hard to be good. If you could swap out conquest's worst maps with Birthright's best ones, it'd be a lot better, not just because you're replacing bad maps with decent ones but because it'd give the game more variety and some breather maps.

I really like this assessment. I love Conquest but god drat if the game doesn't feel absolutely oppressive if you're playing it on hard or lunatic. Every mission after about Ch16 or so has a gimmick that requires you to play in a very specific way, and you just get fatigued trying to work out how to get through some of the serious poo poo late game lunatic throws at you. It would have been nice to have had just one or two maps like Cog of Destiny or Victory or Death where the gimmick is less "Here's a squad of snipers with cpu-only range 1-2 bows who seal strength and have counter magic" and more "Here's a wave of lovely cavalry units for you to level up a couple of flex units on" in the endgame. It feels like there's just no chance whatsoever to level up your benched units if you think you want to try them, even FE7 had arenas for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the whole Conquest/Birthright design mentality sounds great in theory but in practice both are overturned, so one campaign is Awakening 2.0 for newcomers and the other one is All the Really Clever But Sadistic Parts of Thracia 776 And Hector Hard Mode. Which is kinda exhausting since, you know, even FE5 let you steal good poo poo and gave you Ced as an out in the endgame.

• Locked thread