Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Can't take much more of Chad's bullshit, personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Under the vegetable posted:

It was by rafael saadiq and it's in the closed captioning as "hip hop". Don't be ridiculous.

Huh I would not have guessed that, I like what I've heard of Saadiq's music but it's all been pretty old-school R&B-ish stuff. Wonder if it's just a weird remix like that version of American Woman.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I hope Chad dies in shootout with Richard Horne

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
"In dreamland again eh Dougie?"

"We are living in a dream"

"Wake up."

oh my god Agent Cooper loves strong black coffee :doh:

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Naomi Watts is going to save Dougie from Mini-Diesel.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

InnercityGriot posted:

Naomi Watts is going to save Dougie from Mini-Diesel.

We can only hope.

You know what I'd actually love to see? A Twin Peaks fighting game.

Twin Fists, now out for the PS4 and Xbox One.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

We can only hope.

You know what I'd actually love to see? A Twin Peaks fighting game.

Twin Fists, now out for the PS4 and Xbox One.
I call the Giant.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope Dougie's son doesn't get horribly killed. :ohdear:

Like watch that be what snaps Cooper back into his old self.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JazzFlight posted:

I call the Giant.

dibs on nadine, you're going the gently caress down

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, we got our Linda mention this ep, so now we've got "Richard & Linda" like ??????? mentioned in the prologue. She's related to that bearded goon who got a ride into town from Fat Trout and apparently she needed a wheelchair due to "war," I think.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I call the Giant.
The arm is modeled after zappa from guilty gear. After enough combos you evolve into your true form.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The best thing about Mini Diesel is that before he kills his quarry he already has blood all over his hands. His target is at least the second person he's stabbed.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 12, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

You guys get that Cooper has been literally reborn and is acting very baby, right?

I'll be honest, I don't really care what the reason or symbolism or whatever is, I'm ready for real Cooper to be back. It's the worst part of the show so far for me because his scenes have been dragging on for too long since he got out of the Lodge. Some stuff is funny, definitely, but there's been a Iot of scenes the past 3 episodes that are just him staring at stuff with no dialogue. I want Cooper back and I want him back in Twin Peaks, damnit :colbert:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
God I love Dougie. I almost don't want Regular Cooper to come back. I could watch this for days.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

staring at stuff with no dialogue.
It's almost as if this series is directed by David Lynch.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eSporks posted:

It's almost as if this series is directed by David Lynch.

hurf durf, original response! Dougie just isn't doing it for me. I loved original Twin Peaks, FWWM, Mulholland Dr. is one of my favorite movies, and it's been a while but I remember enjoying Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, not so much Dune. I'm relatively familiar with Lynch. I loved the first two episodes of this season, thought episode 3 was really good, episode 4 was enjoyable, but the Dougie scenes from 5 and 6 have been more miss than hit for me. Everything else I'm really enjoying. I don't think it's an unfair criticism :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I should be frustrated that Coop hasn't emerged yet, but Dougie is just so fascinating to watch. The scene with his Boss slowly working out what he thinks Dougie was trying to tell him was so great.

sector_corrector posted:

Also, he saw a trash monster in LA once.

That scene is one of the most unsettling and disturbing things I've ever seen. Lynch captured nightmare logic so perfectly with it.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Who the hell is Dougie Jones? I hope we get a whole flashback episode of a day in his life. Trying to understand the mystery of just who this rascal was and why everyone around Coop is one of the best things about the show.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Dougie arc feels like a take on Mad Men, especially with Naomi Watts giving off extreme Betty Draper vibes and the concept of a lurid hidden-from-the-family boy's club past catching up.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
as soon as hawk picked up the nickel in the toilet stall i remembered the one armed man having a fit in the bathroom, so i'm guessing it's something he dropped into the door all the way back then. although for some reason i recall him being in a middle stall, not that such a specific detail really matters i guess. i know BOB burned diary pages in the train car (and gerard was there and could have snagged some, i suppose) but the diary was definitely white paper, not yellow, and that's a slightly more significant detail i'd say, especially since that image of the torn bit of diary page with "fire walk with me" written across it is rather iconic. the papers hawk found were yellow, right?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Did anybody point out that the name on the toilet stall (Nez Perce) was a fairly major element in Frost's recent book?

GobiasIndustries posted:

hurf durf, original response! Dougie just isn't doing it for me. I loved original Twin Peaks, FWWM, Mulholland Dr. is one of my favorite movies, and it's been a while but I remember enjoying Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, not so much Dune. I'm relatively familiar with Lynch. I loved the first two episodes of this season, thought episode 3 was really good, episode 4 was enjoyable, but the Dougie scenes from 5 and 6 have been more miss than hit for me. Everything else I'm really enjoying. I don't think it's an unfair criticism :shrug:

It's ok not to like those parts, but I just think some self-indulgence is the inevitable trade-off for letting a creative genius have near-total freedom.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Gatekeeper posted:

i know BOB burned diary pages in the train car (and gerard was there and could have snagged some, i suppose) but the diary was definitely white paper, not yellow, and that's a slightly more significant detail i'd say, especially since that image of the torn bit of diary page with "fire walk with me" written across it is rather iconic. the papers hawk found were yellow, right?

Paper yellows as it ages.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Krangdar posted:

It's ok not to like those parts, but I just think some self-indulgence is the inevitable trade-off for letting a creative genius have near-total freedom.

Yeah, I can agree with that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Mini Vin Diesel running around stabbing people to that ridiculous music is one of the funniest moments in the entire show so far, holy poo poo

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
all of the absolute scumbags who "offer fair criticism" about this godlike show being slow are that goon who fast forwarded through breaking bad to get to the badass heisenberg parts

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am so tired of braindead Coop.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I felt that way going into this episode too but his scenes were too funny for me to stay mad

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Big Mean Jerk posted:

turn on your monitor

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

In my dying moments, if I'm so lucky, I'd like to see the face of Harry Dean Stanton looking down at me like he did in tonight's episode.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This girl I know is saying stuff on Twitter like "I love this season but I need regular Coop back." Uhhh, you obviously don't love this season then. It's been hilarious and amazing watching Dougie Coop learn how to behave like an adult human being from nothing and kind of stumble into these solutions to problems. Scribbling a bunch of poo poo on a paper shouldn't have been the proof his boss needed that his coworker was lying about the state of the company, but somehow it worked.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't like the season because I'm tired of one single aspect of it that's been stretched out for three episodes, glad you helped me out there guy :jerkbag:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This girl I know is saying stuff on Twitter like "I love this season but I need regular Coop back." Uhhh, you obviously don't love this season then. It's been hilarious and amazing watching Dougie Coop learn how to behave like an adult human being from nothing and kind of stumble into these solutions to problems. Scribbling a bunch of poo poo on a paper shouldn't have been the proof his boss needed that his coworker was lying about the state of the company, but somehow it worked.

This is silly. I love a lot of stuff that I can also find faults in. I love my apartment, but my closet is extremely small. I love reading the Lord of The Rings trilogy from time to time but there's stuff I skip when I read them again. Parks & Recreation and 30 Rock are two of my favorite comedies ever but there are episodes that I don't really care to rewatch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm just saying, for a season that's only had 6 episodes so far, if you hate one of the main plotlines in it, it's pretty weird to say you love the season.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I absolutely hated Mister Magoo the cartoon and with Coop being hosed up like this, that's all I'm seeing; a cartoon I hated in a TV show I love. So, yes, it's possible to hate a single plotline and love the rest of a show because the rest of what's happening is loving hilarious.

In other words, the Mister Magoo poo poo is the kid and this is what I want to happen to it:

For the record, I did find it amusing for about 2 episodes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm just saying, for a season that's only had 6 episodes so far, if you hate one of the main plotlines in it, it's pretty weird to say you love the season.

But at what point are people allowed to decide that a part of a show isn't for them? Like, say Cooper is back to normal by the end of next episode and the rest of the season is absolutely perfect, does someone have to wait until the end of the season to say 'hey I loved everything except for those few episodes where I thought Cooper's scenes dragged on too long'? Another way to look at it is, we're 1/3 of the way through the season and we don't have the 'real' version of the most important (and beloved) character from the original series around yet. I don't think it's weird at all to love everything else and also not like what's going on with him at the moment, even if you know what Lynch is doing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Not gonna lie, I would like to see all the meltdowns if Coop never comes back, and the final episode credit roll is just him shuffling around in a neon green jacket sipping coffee.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel as though I can confess to you:

When Laura Dern turned around, my hand raised, I gave three snaps of my fingers and exclaimed, 'yas, gurl!'. It's probably just because it's Drag Race season, but I thank Lynch for serving me involuntary gay spasm realness.

Dat lace front, mawma.

e: fwiw I'm loving the Dougie stuff, since that's what people seem to be debating about, I really don't think it's dragging at all. I'm cool with whatever pace Lynch wants this poo poo to go at. Besides, how could anybody complain about more Naomi Watts acting off of Kyle Maclachlan playing a baby?

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 12, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

esperterra posted:

e: fwiw I'm loving the Dougie stuff, since that's what people seem to be debating about, I really don't think it's dragging at all. I'm cool with whatever pace Lynch wants this poo poo to go at. Besides, how could anybody complain about more Naomi Watts acting off of Kyle Maclachlan playing a baby?
Naomi Watts eats up her scenes and cools off the Magoo poo poo quite a bit. I don't feel any need to have classic Coop back, I just really don't like Mister Magoo.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
on the other hand, dougie's theme is the best music in the show so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of, how about that Watts scene of telling off the bookie goons?

I felt like butt-head going "uhhhhh... did I just score?"