Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

It was disgraceful. It's been disgraceful all year. It is really, really loving bad.

It is simply getting progressively worse and worse as time goes on.

Blatant ignoring of throwing the ball, not paying dropping the ball for a segment of a game then changing it. "Evening" out bad calls early in the game with later ones and above all there is ZERO accountability from the AFL about it.

Honestly the entire rule book needs to be rectified and simplified to remove as much grey area as possible and then eradicate the rules committee, allowing one to sit once every two years for evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Nutsngum posted:

there is ZERO accountability from the AFL about it.

This is the worst bit. No acknowledgement from the AFL that there's a problem, no recognition of fan concerns. Every conversation I have about footy is dominated by how poo poo the umpiring is. The one official public communication was WhistleBlowers, and that's been buried without a trace, probably because it put too much pressure and scrutiny on the umpiring.

It's a loving joke.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Weirdly, there used to be this segment on World of Sport called "what's your decision" where one of the umpires would get to sit down and discuss two or three incidents where he'd explain what happened and why a particular decision might've been made.

I didn't pay much attention in those days because kid (I was all about the handball competition and the woodchopping) but it seems like it'd be something that'd just as instructive these days.

Incorrect disposal (whether by throwing or dropping the ball after controlling) is the one that's bugging me. It seems like players will just drop the ball if they get tackled because they know they're less likely give away a free than if they make a legitimate attempt to get rid of it. Yes the game is fast moving and yes the umpires are human and aren't omniscient, but there are rules, man.

It's a shame, too, because sloppy umpiring aside, this is a really good season even though my team isn't doing so great for once.

Really the AFL should be prioritising a reform of the rules instead of coming up with stupid convoluted playoff systems to satisfy their "broadcasting partners" because they're scared of dead rubbers (of which there might be comparatively few this year!)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

To get the AFL to reform the rules, you're going to have to get the NFL to do it first

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Really the AFL should be prioritising a reform of the rules instead of coming up with stupid convoluted playoff systems to satisfy their "broadcasting partners" because they're scared of dead rubbers (of which there might be comparatively few this year!)

What's really sad is how a "play-in" system isn't really necessary in a league with a salary cap, draft and a position weighted schedule. I mean, it'll be neat to have and make the last few weeks more of a horse race, sure, but it shouldn't be needed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I CBF tipping this round and I think I'll still come out ahead.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Some FIFA quality acting here by Wingard

https://imgur.com/a/1L4a8#FvsqCeg

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I 100% agree with everything that has been said here in regard to the umpiring.

It's a loving shambles and the AFL is more worried about protecting itself from criticism than improving the system. I'm sick of hearing about how hard the game is to umpire. That's just an excuse used to gloss over the serious deficiencies in both the rules and the umpires themselves.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I mean, to thrash this one out again, maybe it'd be better to just accept deliberate OOB as a tactical thing that takes skill to exploit like in rugby and apply similar rules (out on the full is still a free, maybe also from handpasses) and give umpires less cases where they have to think for more than a second and have to apply some subjectivity.

And in some cases it does work out - when they brought back the "in the back" rule 3-4 years ago it took a while for everyone to deal with it, but with a few tweaks as well as players being more careful in that area, it's one of those rules that actually works well for marking contests.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Personally I actually think the deliberate out of bounds and deliberate rushed do more good to the game than harm, it's just the good is less noticeable than the bad.

The ball being within five metres of your defensive goal line is a billion times more tense and exciting now than it was a decade ago because your defenders have to actually back themselves in to clear it, and most of the time do.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally I actually think the deliberate out of bounds and deliberate rushed do more good to the game than harm, it's just the good is less noticeable than the bad.

The ball being within five metres of your defensive goal line is a billion times more tense and exciting now than it was a decade ago because your defenders have to actually back themselves in to clear it, and most of the time do.

I think the deliberate rushed rule has been a success for that reason. Players now seem to back themselves to clear the ball with a risky kick than to try to rushed-roulette. It just took a couple of absolute howlers to make players fearful of rushing the ball, even when they're allowed to.

Deliberate OOB is still a debacle though, because it's often not at all clear whether a player meant to deliberately kick the ball out, but the umpire needs to make a decision anyway. How many other sports do umpires need to make decisions about a player's intent, rather than what they have actually done?

I'd be happy to see it changed to a free kick whenever the ball goes OOB from a kick without being touched, like the SANFL. Any rule change that results in umpires doing less mind-reading, rather than more, will make the game more consistently umpired.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

I think the deliberate rushed rule has been a success for that reason. Players now seem to back themselves to clear the ball with a risky kick than to try to rushed-roulette. It just took a couple of absolute howlers to make players fearful of rushing the ball, even when they're allowed to.

Deliberate OOB is still a debacle though, because it's often not at all clear whether a player meant to deliberately kick the ball out, but the umpire needs to make a decision anyway. How many other sports do umpires need to make decisions about a player's intent, rather than what they have actually done?

I'd be happy to see it changed to a free kick whenever the ball goes OOB from a kick without being touched, like the SANFL. Any rule change that results in umpires doing less mind-reading, rather than more, will make the game more consistently umpired.

I think that would probably be an improvement too. Include handballs in it too so you don't get 30 metre handballs for touch.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

racing identity posted:

Yeah actually this is a better suggestion than mine if your aim is to keep the game moving...

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think that would probably be an improvement too. Include handballs in it too so you don't get 30 metre handballs for touch.

This is easily the best option. But as if the AFL is competent enough to figure that out.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think holding the ball is a bigger issue right now. I feel like the deliberate thing is gradually sorting itself out. It is way better than it was in the first few weeks anyway.

I'm sure I'm noticing it a lot because the Hawks are rarely in possession, but tackles go largely unrewarded. Players will literally drop the ball as soon as they feel contact and that's considered play on. They know that if they drop it or throw it or just place it on the ground they are unlikely to be pinged. Even after taking multiple steps and having ample oppurtunity to get rid of it. And then when one player finally gets pinged, often after barely any oppurtunity, everyone is left wondering what the gently caress the rule is. Maybe allowing this dropping poo poo is to keep the game moving but it is ugly and frustrating and leaves a rule that appears to only get applied occasionally and randomly.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
That's something I've never really understood only watching footy for the last few years. If you drop the ball and don't kick it after having prior opportunity how is that not incorrect disposal every time?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
So if the Dees win today against an injury ravaged Magpies they will move from 10th on the ladder to 6th

So that should all but guarantee a Collingwood win.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

So if the Dees win today against an injury ravaged Magpies they will move from 10th on the ladder to 6th

So that should all but guarantee a Collingwood win.

Yeah, lol at anyone tipping melbourne

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

On the other hand, after 3 wins in a row the Queen's Birthday game is exactly the game Collingwood would drop to put Buckley back under the pump

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

realbez posted:

I think holding the ball is a bigger issue right now. I feel like the deliberate thing is gradually sorting itself out. It is way better than it was in the first few weeks anyway.

I'm sure I'm noticing it a lot because the Hawks are rarely in possession, but tackles go largely unrewarded. Players will literally drop the ball as soon as they feel contact and that's considered play on. They know that if they drop it or throw it or just place it on the ground they are unlikely to be pinged. Even after taking multiple steps and having ample oppurtunity to get rid of it. And then when one player finally gets pinged, often after barely any oppurtunity, everyone is left wondering what the gently caress the rule is. Maybe allowing this dropping poo poo is to keep the game moving but it is ugly and frustrating and leaves a rule that appears to only get applied occasionally and randomly.

Yeah, it's completely ridiculous some of the poo poo that gets called play on.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, after 3 wins in a row the Queen's Birthday game is exactly the game Collingwood would drop to put Buckley back under the pump

It's basically ultimate warrior vs hulk hogan, the irresistible force vs the immovable object.

Well done Number 2!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

BT: "The only time Gilly would've seen ice is at the afterparty when Australia won a test match"

:350:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So who is Eddie McGuire going to joke about drowning this year?

A bitchwoman? A que jumping boat personrefugee? A terroristmuslim? An apeaborigine? or will he surprise us all.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's basically ultimate warrior vs hulk hogan, the irresistible force vs the immovable object.

or perhaps the unflushable turd vs the unblockable toilet

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Man i'm real nervous about this game.

NFI how i'll deal with finals when we eventually make it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

this loss is going to be gross

Probably should attempt to touch the ball at some point between collingwood kicking it in and them having a shot at goal.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 12, 2017

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Melbourne are going to win, FYI

Hello to everyone quoting this when they don't

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Didn't realise that Fasolo was back this week. That is cool and good.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

jesus gently caress tom you almost hosed that up you dumb poo poo

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
benny hill tier errors

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Garlett just hauling Melbourne to a goal there despite the best efforts of his team mates

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

if we somehow don't lose this it sure as gently caress won't be for lack of trying.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
melbourne up by 7 at 3 quarter time. thanks for that bt

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I'm at work. gently caress qld

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hopefully that's our weekly bad quarter out of the way

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I can't even watch the stream at work because they changed our wifi and won't tell us the password and channel 7 apparently can't stream it through plus 7 so they put on border security re runs instead

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol after all the bullshit that gets not paid as dropping the ball, frost gets a loving clear as day handball away and gets pinged.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

our entries into 50 are loving putrid

also our defending

also everything else

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

melbourne up by 7 at 3 quarter time. thanks for that bt

according to Hamish it was a 7 goal lead at quarter time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

holy poo poo. Brown loving takes on the tackler, throws his head back like a loving staging oval office, throws the ball away, and we end up getting the free paid against us. Cool.

• Locked thread