Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Okay, especially after watching that gameplay, there is no way in hell Bioware isn't just ripping off the last Xenoblade Chronicles game. It's got the robots and the cool mobility modes, it's got the untamed sci-fi world and your small bastion therein, it's got the stupidly huge wildlife, it's got the occasional high tech dudes so you don't get bored killing dumb wildlife, and it's even got the lovely tacked on MMO loot drop elements. Pretty much the only difference is lack of overt anime - which seems dumb, because current-gen Bioware seems like it should be all up anime's dick based on their last few outings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
man. bummer that andromeda killed good mass effect forever for their dumb not-destiny. because when you think Bioware, you think delightful gameplay mechanics and not just jank that you muscle through for the story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting real tired of digigrade legs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Elites made them cool back in halo and we've never moved beyond it. It must be horrible for aliens to design clothes to wrap around their ankles like that

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Im looking forward to the year and a half delay and the new downgraded trailer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Wolfenstein 2 trailer has given me the excitement for a shooter in a way that Anthem never will. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHht8480cEo
http://i.imgur.com/QD1tK3K.gifv

There's more character in that one gif than in anything Bioware put out in two years. :mad:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Too early to tell but coop makes me think they won't even bother having characters and a story this time?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Avalerion posted:

Too early to tell but coop makes me think they won't even bother having characters and a story this time?

Bioware is all about their stupid stories. Even in the Star Wars MMO they went on about how great their stories were and even let you have romances with NPCs in them.

I bet you could have an MMO with a good story but Bioware sure as hell wouldn't be the ones to make it. Their style of story-telling doesn't work at all in MMOs. gently caress they can't even do an open world story well, so how are they gonna manage one with an MMO on top of it?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 12, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
TOR had some good stories, so who knows.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, TOR story was pretty much just KOTOR, expect you had to put up with last decade MMO combat to see it, but that aside it would have been alright as a genuine single player rpg.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The agent and LS with warrior story were great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dexo posted:

The agent and LS with warrior story were great.

Yeah. The last expansion's story, where they pretty much gave up on the pretense of giving everyone their own storylines and just made a few hours of a SP campaign for everyone, was pretty good. The two cinematic trailers they got were loving dope as well and, like, legit good SW content on their own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpDxrew4A0

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

But seriously how the mighty have fallen, Bioware's A team is making a Destiny clone lol. I guess TOR was the gateway drug. If somebody had hopes for another Bioware RPG (much less a Mass Effect RPG) then it's time to put them to sleep.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I wonder why they don't just try making some adventure or visual novel style rpg hybrids, that would catter to their strengths and what their hardcore fans want anyway. Could be their niche instead of trying to break into mmorpgs, open world games and now coop shooters?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Avalerion posted:

I wonder why they don't just try making some adventure or visual novel style rpg hybrids, that would catter to their strengths and what their hardcore fans want anyway. Could be their niche instead of trying to break into mmorpgs, open world games and now coop shooters?

Doing that would break their streak of co-opting the hottest new gaming trend from three years ago.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also Bioware has no say in anything. EA wants to make money and VNs and adventure games don't sell the numbers Destiny did. This will still be just another TOR-like fluke when it comes to sales but hey some CEO is getting a raise somewhere.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

Also Bioware has no say in anything. EA wants to make money and VNs and adventure games don't sell the numbers Destiny did. This will still be just another TOR-like fluke when it comes to sales but hey some CEO is getting a raise somewhere.

Bioware is a headless corpse slumped in a chair with a 3D printed EA executive head planted in the bleeding neck stump.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
has been said plenty of times here already, old bioware is dead. There are no specific strengths to this new bioware. Considering that we goons, the top brass when it comes to dorky nerd poo poo, still talk about Bioware as having some kind of added value, means that they still have plenty of brand power left and EA will probably do its best not to let this ship sink. Anthem will probably have the necessary marketing budget to not make it a fluke

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bioware is basically an IP just like a game franchise. When EA wants a Bioware game to up the sales it just gives the name to some DLC studio.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

Bioware is basically an IP just like a game franchise. When EA wants a Bioware game to up the sales it just gives the name to some DLC studio.

Makes me wonder how much more of a lawn dart Andromeda would have been if it didn't have Bioware on the splash screen.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Palpek posted:

But seriously how the mighty have fallen, Bioware's A team is making a Destiny clone lol. I guess TOR was the gateway drug. If somebody had hopes for another Bioware RPG (much less a Mass Effect RPG) then it's time to put them to sleep.

Considering that AAA SP/story driven games sell worse over all and "games as a service" shooters make tons of money expect far less of the former and far, far more of the latter. Also loot boxes everywhere. People love their legal gambling addiction.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
at least we'll always have the memories of our video game romances

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Decius posted:

Considering that AAA SP/story driven games sell worse over all and "games as a service" shooters make tons of money expect far less of the former and far, far more of the latter. Also loot boxes everywhere. People love their legal gambling addiction.

:rip: games I want to play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Decius posted:

Ironic as console exclusives Horizon and Zelda are both going to outsell the multiplatform tour de force that is Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

lalaland posted:

Anthem will probably have the necessary marketing budget to not make it a fluke

SW:ToR had a gargantuan advertising budget (something like $100M?) and still underperformed for most of its lifecycle. Advertising is by no means a silver bullet. The real question is how much demand there will be for a game like this in 2018/19; maybe the market can support a bunch of different games of this type or maybe Destiny 2 will do to Anthem what Overwatch did to Battleborn.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Drifter posted:

The Wolfenstein 2 trailer has given me the excitement for a shooter in a way that Anthem never will. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHht8480cEo
http://i.imgur.com/QD1tK3K.gifv

There's more character in that one gif than in anything Bioware put out in two years. :mad:

The new Wolfenstein had such good writing.I mean, the plot wasn't anything amazing but the writing really elevated it. Really put you in the head of Blaskovitz and had an almost Tarantinoesque tension in alot of scenes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
TOR also ended up dropping most of the companion interactions and storylines, yes including romances, as the game went on. Anthem may not bother with pretending to be an RPG.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Conceptually it's basically the combat part of Mass Effect (but more action) with everything else cut out. It doesn't look like it will bother with interactive story elements at all outside of short cutscene briefings before missions. The only reason why we're even discussing this is because it's Bioware as nothing in the trailer indicateds any RPG elements at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The RPG aspect is clearly that you can roleplay as a hot chick, which I will definitely be doing for some EZ loot when Anthem drops.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
1. Destiny came out Sept 2014. Destiny Taken King came out Sept 2015.

2. Destiny 2 comes out Sept 2017. Anthem comes out fall 2018.

3. These online games both live or die by a critical mass of players; if most people who want to play a Co Op MMOish shooter are already enjoying the big Destiny 2 expansion, RIP anthem.

OTOH, if the number of players you need to enjoy Anthem isn't any higher than Borderlands, there's no reasons players couldn't enjoy the game long after it's release. But what that does for the Dev/Publisher profit is another matter.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Palpek posted:

Conceptually it's basically the combat part of Mass Effect (but more action) with everything else cut out. It doesn't look like it will bother with interactive story elements at all outside of short cutscene briefings before missions. The only reason why we're even discussing this is because it's Bioware as nothing in the trailer indicateds any RPG elements at all.

Which is a shame. It doesn't even look like a bad game, but it does look like the kind of game I could get elsewhere. I come to Bioware because they're the only western developer making character driven RPGs with a triple-A budget, and if they're dropping that line then I don't know if I'm interested.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No the Rpg part will be how you fill in the gaps by talking to npcs who make farty faces before talking to your friend about experience and mortars

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Turtlicious posted:

So now that the train has pulled into the station and the games been out a bit, is the multiplayer sick nasty? Is the game good if you don't care about anything but story and soft core loving aliens.

Multiplayer doesn't quite scratch the same itch as well as ME3, but it's improving gradually. You're better off asking in the multiplayer thread if that's what you care about, though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is the NPC interaction I'm predicting:

"Freelancer it's good to see you." *vocal pitch changes slightly* "Today's special is a 15% discount on super ultra lucky boxes which might contain a legendary weapon or rare paint skins for your suit."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh man what if they release Anthem before it's ready to beat the Destiny DLC update? Then Bioware will have released 2 incomplete games and squandered another IP! If we can get them to also cannibalize the Dragon Age dev team in the process, they could get a hat trick and sinkall their IPs!

Ok, so that's the worst outcome I can think of. And it's not that likely (I hope). So really it's all up from there!

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I'm not proud of it, but just the mention of customizing your Javelin is giving me an overwhelming wave of nostalgia for Chromehounds and the older Armored Core games. :smith:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Which is a shame. It doesn't even look like a bad game, but it does look like the kind of game I could get elsewhere. I come to Bioware because they're the only western developer making character driven RPGs with a triple-A budget, and if they're dropping that line then I don't know if I'm interested.

This is exactly how I feel, it doesn't look bad or anything but ...I don't think anyone's asking for it, and least of all from bioware.

Though in a eay they were pushing for it for a while, me3 and inquisition had a multyplayer mode tacked on (me3's was even fun for a bit), and their abbadoned project was also some kind of sqad based dungeon crawler.

I just hope they don't mess up da4...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DancingShade posted:

This is the NPC interaction I'm predicting:

"Freelancer it's good to see you." *vocal pitch changes slightly* "Today's special is a 15% discount on super ultra lucky boxes which might contain a legendary weapon or rare paint skins for your suit."
"Ryder, months ago I lost my skin moisturizer stash somewhere in the jungle. Please retrieve all 5 bottles that I far-sightedly marked with GPS trackers."

Oh wait, that's actually the kind of quest you could encounter in ME:A, still way too much RPG.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dylan was codename for a different game, the one Casey Hudson was working on before leaving Bioware.

Here's some actual interesting remarks;

The TL;DR is that the first few years were spent investigating neat premises and technologies like procedurally-generated worlds, but they never got it squared away into something actually fun. The project imploded on itself with mismanagement as the talented people jumped ship and Mac Walters got brought in to get the whole mess back on-track. The animation's crap because they changed technologies midway through development for no good reason, tossing all their existing work in the bin. Along with several years of poor time management and a shitload of regression (reducing fancy graphics and engine tricks because of memory usage, bugs, etc).

And the game we got really is Mac Walters' fault.

The Vince Russo of Mass Effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If the sources are accurate I'm not sure I'd put much of the blame on Walters. The pre-production sounds like it was an utter gently caress-fest of bad ideas and poor planning.