Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Captain Invictus posted:

isn't post-cyberpunk just a cyberpunk-style world but where the normal issues with cyberpunk have been worked out? like once all the poo poo in deus ex has been put to rest(discrimination against augmented people, etc)

Post-cyberpunk would be that, yeah. Punk is a genre. Cyberpunk, steampunk and dieselpunk for example. Or you could get into the more esoteric with stuff like biopunk or atompunk. Punk mostly refers to themes of rebellion and independence, of the urban, the raw and the ugly.

Taking the punk out of it would mean that everyone pretty much gets along and that the conflicts mentioned above have either been resolved or at least turned down. Or if maybe not getting along, everything is settled. The rebellion, or at least rebellion in general is over for whatever reason.

Never been the biggest fan of steampunk. I think it was more about style than substance. Not only that but it's about looking backwards. Now cyberpunk is what I'm all about. Cyberpunk is near future stuff. Those days where we're about to approach the singularity, it's happened but it's not evenly distributed or it's happened and we're still grappling with the ramifications. It's often predictive. Sometimes scarily so.

So when someone says something to the effect of, "Feminists won, egalitarianism lost, this is the darkest timeline" I imagine someone unioronically saying that the story is in the far flung year of 1985. The president has been kidnapped by feminists. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

Edit: Doggo tax. This is the best timeline.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I guess I'm actually have to buy these games, just to stream them and make these people even madder. I've become a republican in a way.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm willing to bet that game by a hardcore GG is going to be written as a dull polemic full of strawmen even if looks real purty

Crabtree posted:

I guess I'm actually have to buy these games, just to stream them and make these people even madder. I've become a republican in a way.

New Order was real great. Honestly one of my favorite games

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm willing to bet that game by a hardcore GG is going to be written as a dull polemic full of strawmen even if looks real purty

New Order was real great. Honestly one of my favorite games

Yeah man, I was in the thread posting all those live action trailers and music vids. And now, on top of good gameplay, I'm apparently making lovely real world Nazis uncomfortable and needing of a safe space. I'm afraid marketing's got its hooking into me between this and Far Cry 5 just to enjoy making lovely people mad as well as having fun playing something good.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/Hatewatch/status/873588560405942272

“We don’t know about the supposed symbolism, only that a bunch of liberal hate groups were online tweeting about it,” Williams spokesman Seth Weathers told the newspaper. “This is the stupidest thing in the world ― that we are debating whether grown men were supposedly holding their fingers the wrong way during a photo.”

EDIT: UGH

https://twitter.com/katecohen/status/873605181899808768

he'll get crushed.

Trump is toxic in Atlanta, and say what you want about georgia but we're at least a traditional corrupt southern oligarchy.

His name ain't Deal or Perdue

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

FizFashizzle posted:

he'll get crushed.

Trump is toxic in Atlanta, and say what you want about georgia but we're at least a traditional corrupt southern oligarchy.

Don't take him lightly until he's loving paste under your boot. Don't forget the lesson of Trump.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crabtree posted:

Yeah man, I was in the thread posting all those live action trailers and music vids. And now, on top of good gameplay, I'm apparently making lovely real world Nazis uncomfortable and needing of a safe space. I'm afraid marketing's got its hooking into me between this and Far Cry 5 just to enjoy making lovely people mad as well as having fun playing something good.

Same here- my computer's barely a step up from a toaster with Christmas lights on it, and I'm still buying those two games.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The other thing to keep in mind about georgia is that unlike the rest of the south, with the quasi exception of north carolina, there are corporate entities powerful enough to stop the crazies.

Again, look at the bathroom bill when it was proposed in Ga. The film unions, salesforce, and delta just said no, and it vanished relatively quickly.

You think Coke is going to like a trade war?

You think Delta or Jackson Hartfield is gonna like his travel policies? Salesforce sure as poo poo isn't going to like an immigration ban.

It's not just that, but screaming against immigrants doesn't sell in southern georgia.

quote:

After enacting House Bill 87, a law designed to drive illegal immigrants out of Georgia, state officials appear shocked to discover that HB 87 is, well, driving a lot of illegal immigrants out of Georgia...

Thanks to the resulting labor shortage, Georgia farmers have been forced to leave millions of dollars' worth of blueberries, onions, melons and other crops unharvested and rotting in the fields. It has also put state officials into something of a panic at the damage they've done to Georgia's largest industry....

The results of that investigation have now been released. According to survey of 230 Georgia farmers conducted by Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black, farmers expect to need more than 11,000 workers at some point over the rest of the season, a number that probably underestimates the real need, since not every farmer in the state responded to the survey.

People down there remember that.

Obviously no one should take anything for granted, but this guy is a nobody from the exburbs without a constituency.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

he'll get crushed.

The recent Ossoff +7 polling makes me want to believe this , but we'll see on the 20th. If the rich whites of the 6th are absolutely fine with voting for Handel (who has her nose shoved so far up Trump's rear end she can smell the burnt Mar-A-Lago steak he'll be having next week), they'll have no problem with voting for a neo-Nazi Trump supporter either, as long as the Nazi says he'll cut taxes.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Remember when killing nazis was the boring filler of pop culture? When, in need of a villain, you could just throw in some nazis as a universal bad guy? I hate that killing nazis has become a political statement now. What the hell happened us

On the bright side, I am a lot more excited about nazi murder simulators than I ever used to be.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Starmaker posted:

Remember when killing nazis was the boring filler of pop culture? When, in need of a villain, you could just throw in some nazis as a universal bad guy? I hate that killing nazis has become a political statement now. What the hell happened us

On the bright side, I am a lot more excited about nazi murder simulators than I ever used to be.

The Nazis decided they should be a protected class too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Starmaker posted:

Remember when killing nazis was the boring filler of pop culture?

It's always weird to think how in 1961 world war II was as recent an event as 9/11 is to us.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

What is it with America and giving lovely british nutbags and failures career boosts they don't deserve.

don't you badmouth our Founding Fathers

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 12, 2017

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
We're losing our best

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is "I got death threats by 4chan" going to be the save face scramble for getting out of a race you can't win card?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

Is "I got death threats by 4chan" going to be the save face scramble for getting out of a race you can't win card?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Crabtree posted:

in his case it wasn't 4chan but a dude pegging him with an unopened can of soda as they drove by, almost hitting his kids

I'd be shaken too

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

in his case it wasn't 4chan but a dude pegging him with an unopened can of soda as they drove by, almost hitting his kids

I'd be shaken too

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd be shaken too

He pegged him as they drove by? That is some agility.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I wonder if anyone has death threatened the Binghamton University student in the race yet

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crabtree posted:

It helps that New Order is one of the best FPSes ever made.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Night10194 posted:

It helps that New Order is one of the best FPSes ever made.

Yeah, it showed that a good ol' run-n-gun was still fun and viable if done correctly.

No open world, no custom gun skin timed drops, just run through the level and blast some mother fuckers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crain posted:

Yeah, it showed that a good ol' run-n-gun was still fun and viable if done correctly.

No open world, no custom gun skin timed drops, just run through the level and blast some mother fuckers.

Plus, you know, I bought it to do a powerslide and blow nazis away with a pair of automatic shotguns, which you can and do do, and it's awesome.

I did not expect the story to be surprisingly great.

I'm guessing the poo poo people are mad that there's stuff like the Nazi officer congratulating KKK guys in full regalia in the trailer, but they already said that's what was up in the first game when you talk to Jimmi Hendrix. He's like 'Yeah, they basically found all the collaborators they needed the second they said they'd put us in the camps.'

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Crain posted:

Well it was made by the pioneers of the FPS genre.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think Nazism is going to be the new Satanism, only appealing strictly to conservatives. It's like somebody heard, "this is the worst thing you can be" and felt compelled to ask, "OR IS IT?"

EDIT: With the acknowledged caveat that real Satanism was actually pretty harmless.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

He pegged him as they drove by? That is some agility.

He's the new john malkovich

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mendrian posted:

I think Nazism is going to be the new Satanism, only appealing strictly to conservatives. It's like somebody heard, "this is the worst thing you can be" and felt compelled to ask, "OR IS IT?"

EDIT: With the acknowledged caveat that real Satanism was actually pretty harmless.

This doesn't make any sense as an analogy to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There Bias Two posted:

I think Mendrian means a lot of the members of satanism were far left guys going "look how EXTREME I am. You can't even handle it, society DAD."

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think Mendrian means a lot of the members of satanism were far left guys going "look how EXTREME I am. You can't even handle it, society DAD."

I support the church of satan's efforts to use religious arguments against the right wing and look forward to seeing a statue of Baphomet in my neighborhood

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There were some crazy cult dudes, but there's always loony people with really dangerous cults in anything. By and large the worst they'd do was poo poo New Wicca does: dance around a fire, wear dumb robes, drink beer, say a few hail satans, maybe listen to some metal and play DnD.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CyberPingu posted:

Well it was made by the pioneers of the FPS genre.

Granted, but slight counter point: John Romero's Daikatana.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

This poo poo should be illegal. What a petty old bastard

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

You have an entire generation of people who are now so far away from Nazism that it's an academic exercise for them rather than a practical concern. They challenge the very idea that Nazis are evil either in spite of the fact or because of the fact that they have been told (correctly) that Nazism is an affront to American values. I was predicting that you either are seeing or will see a wave of neo-fascists who embrace literal Nazism on the grounds that they aren't allowed to like or embrace Nazism, in the same way that a group of people embraced Satanism essentially on the grounds that it was taboo and forbidden. Because a common conclusion with excessive navel gazing is, "everything I have been told not to do is wrong."

There are obvious differences, of course. As noted, Satanism is a small movement, and relatively harmless. And Nazism has roots in America whereas Satanism was created more or less whole cloth. But the analogy I was making is how young people today can and will challenge the idea that Nazis are bad on the grounds that they can't trust their own education.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SocketWrench posted:

This poo poo should be illegal. What a petty old bastard

I'm betting he still doesn't actually realize CENTCOM is there.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
gently caress missed it.

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/874218732913950720

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really hope this doesn't take off with the non-crazies.

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/874234381484929024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mendrian posted:

You have an entire generation of people who are now so far away from Nazism that it's an academic exercise for them rather than a practical concern. They challenge the very idea that Nazis are evil either in spite of the fact or because of the fact that they have been told (correctly) that Nazism is an affront to American values. I was predicting that you either are seeing or will see a wave of neo-fascists who embrace literal Nazism on the grounds that they aren't allowed to like or embrace Nazism, in the same way that a group of people embraced Satanism essentially on the grounds that it was taboo and forbidden. Because a common conclusion with excessive navel gazing is, "everything I have been told not to do is wrong."

There are obvious differences, of course. As noted, Satanism is a small movement, and relatively harmless. And Nazism has roots in America whereas Satanism was created more or less whole cloth. But the analogy I was making is how young people today can and will challenge the idea that Nazis are bad on the grounds that they can't trust their own education.

This is actually what I was always led to believe was the reason for neo-nazi skinheads in Germany. It wasn't so much about white power/hating Jews as it was about rebelling against The Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Spacebump posted:

It is time for more liberals to be carry guns for self defense. The first time someone tries this and gets shot by their target in self defense will make idiots think twice about it.

No it won't. It'll get the shooter arrested, his house, family and himself rioted against, and feed the republican persecution complex. In the end all it'll do is justify Republicans being more violent in their eyes
Republicans are masters of and rule through fear and violence.

• Locked thread