Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

AJ_Impy posted:

What's the superiority breakdown? Bigger fleets? Higher tech?

For some reason, when I moused over it, all the categories displayed "equivalent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

Turexmian way of life is clearly incompatible with our own. Better be ready for an eventual war against the aquatic capitlistic robot loving birds. Arms race cold war on the way.

:agreed: I propose we declare the foul Turrxmian government our rival with the long term goal of a liberation war! :black101:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Weavered posted:

:agreed: I propose we declare the foul Turrxmian government our rival with the long term goal of a liberation war! :black101:

:yeah:

Though we had hoped to go to the stars and find equally progressive societies, we have to expunge the cruel and regressive institution of capitalism wherever it is found in the galaxy! When the Turexmians have eaten their own board of Directors they shall know freedom!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The Kitsu are so compatible with Earthican rule they should be incorporated into it by our liberation fleets. They will welcome us with roses.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Danny Glands posted:

For some reason, when I moused over it, all the categories displayed "equivalent".
Equivalent sure is a useless word in this game. Isn't it something like 50-150% of your fleet strength?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

By the way, voting for the new tradition is closed, and Colonization Fever is the winner. Update to come.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Poil posted:

Equivalent sure is a useless word in this game. Isn't it something like 50-150% of your fleet strength?

it was last time I played.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Weavered posted:

I also concur. It is our duty as a fellow brother-sentients to free those under the yoke of oppression. But, because we are liberating and not conquering, orbital bombardment must be kept in check so as not to turn those who we seek to free against us.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

2205.05.07 - 2208.01.29

The science ships continue to survey around the UN's borders, with an eye for resources and potenitally habitable planets.

Meanwhile, Dr. Zhivenkov, on an expedition on the toxic moon of potentially habitable planet Anreya II, discovers that it is covered in large mushrooms. (I don't know why this event popped for a non-terraformable toxic world.)

On the planet itself, she discovers an ancient metropolis. The structures are empty, but she states that they can be repurposed to save on construction costs, after overgrowth is cleared. The planet also serves as the home to a beneficial type of insect that provides several medical benefits to humans. However, once a set of specimens were acquired, those specimens died upon leaving the planet. (The Symbiotic Organisms modifier provides a bonus to Habitability.)

Meanwhile on Earth, the General Assembly votes to start programs designed to get the populace excited about living on new worlds.

After completing her research on Planetary Unification, Dr. Fehér begins to research ways to make the UN and her colonies more important on the galactic stage. (This reduces the war demand cost for ceding planets and frontier outposts.)

The Trinikan Partnership proposes a non-aggression treaty, which is accepted.

The UN trades a few of their minerals to the Kitsu in exchange for a mutual research partnership.

Dr. Dietrich makes some notes on a planet with an unusally hot core that makes the theoretical terraforming community happier.

A message comes from the colony ship on Alpha Centauri II, which is renamed Gaia's Landing. The ship has safely landed and the process of colonization begins.

Dantonhatden Ia, while technically habitable, is given several notes about how unsuitable for Humans it is. Some more "oddball" scientists on Earth talk about possibilities for harnessing the resident arachnids. These ideas are dismissed quickly.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh man, giant spider world? Never seen that before. That's hilarious. Is that from the game, or a mod?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Gothsheep posted:

Oh man, giant spider world? Never seen that before. That's hilarious. Is that from the game, or a mod?

It's from Guilli's Planet Modifiers, I believe.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Danny Glands posted:

It's from Guilli's Planet Modifiers, I believe.

It is, and GPM is easily my most-recommended mod for anyone to use (unless you insist on going for achievements because it will disable them). It's relatively lightweight in that it doesn't add any new mechanics, but it makes the exploration and expansion stage of the game way more interesting by giving you real goals to aim for, like that Precursor Capital Complex world.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It is a great mod, but the number of amazing finds that show up on random uninhabitable rocks is kinda killing it for me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think I speak for all right-minded peoples in this Assembly that the course is clear. We Must Harness the power of these Arachnids. For the good of mankind, of course.

GunnerJ posted:

It is a great mod, but the number of amazing finds that show up on random uninhabitable rocks is kinda killing it for me.

Are you saying that the modifiers show up too much or that they show up on places that are unreachable? Or both?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

double nine posted:

I think I speak for all right-minded peoples in this Assembly that the course is clear. We Must Harness the power of these Arachnids. For the good of mankind, of course.

Really makes me wish the game had some kind of "penal colony" system. Might not be that hard to mod though.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Really makes me wish the game had some kind of "penal colony" system. Might not be that hard to mod though.

Maybe we could just send robots there. Cybernetic Arachnid Cavalry.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Penal colony on the world of giant killer spiders! Would love to see what Ross Kemp makes out of that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I agree! If we do not harness the powers of these giant spiders for ourselves, someone else will!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

If Spider World is something you guys want, I can put an outpost on its star and send droids to it once we have the technology

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
We cannot allow an arachnid gap.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
In the absence of Space Bees, Space Spiders are a close second.

I concur that we ride these spiders to victory!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hey, spiders can be a good thing. Patient, methodical, industrious, and good symbols of interconnectivity with their webs.

Bring on the spiders.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
"How about a legion of spiders?"

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

At our current resource levels, it'll take a while to get the resources to expand. Well, since I see so much eagerness, I'm gonna open up General Assembly to get a formal vote:

Do we prioritize putting Spider World within our borders (using a frontier outpost) or colonizing Anreya II (size 24, 100% habitability)? I'm counting 6 votes so far for the spiders.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 12, 2017

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016

Danny Glands posted:

colonizing Anreya II (size 24, 100% habitability)

Lets not do something dumb, its too early for that.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
fevered colonization does not mean making dumb decisions
colonize Anreya II

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Let's colonize the precursor planet.
It can't be worse than a planet of Space Spiders.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Colonise Spider Pride >8< then Anreya II with all due haste

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I got a fever... A colonization fever... A spider world colonization fever.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Colonize! (The place without spiders)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

:yeah:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You had me at Size 24, 100% habitability.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Colonise Anreya II. Space spiders are cool, but cool doesn't give us the infrastructure we'll need when the inevitable interstellar war begins. Big fleets with big guns need a big population to support them.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Colonize Anreya II

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Danny Glands posted:

colonizing Anreya II (size 24, 100% habitability)?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Colonize Anreya II

Spiders can wait...momentarily.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Danny Glands posted:

Far as I've heard there's only one actual option. Let's go for that one!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

8 Legged Freaks

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Danny Glands posted:

Look, we need to make sure we have plenty of room for when we domesticate and can create our spider farms. Think of the possibilities! Spider Dude Ranches, where you can Broco-bust some spiders and prepare for the next Spider Kentucky Derby!

And of course competitive Spider Milking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

There's a right answer (Private colony ships and massive expanding) and a goon answer, and if you search your feelings you'll know.

• Locked thread