Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
holy poo poo how about paying incorrect disposal both ways you loving cunts. if you go to ground in the tackle and then throw it away with one hand it's not play on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The beanies on the goal umps is jarring af

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hoskin elliot drops a mark and BT has an aneurysm about why it's not 50 metres.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I want someone to kick the ball into the big freeze pool so some poor bastard has to go in and get the ball.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Well there's mark of the year.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Cool, cool cool

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Howe got some hops tho

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Periphery posted:

yes bt told me

over and over

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

customary howe turnover on the kick too, the complete package.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Solemn Sloth posted:

hopefully that's our weekly bad quarter out of the way

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Also ANB has had a terrible game in the first half, 2 direct shockers in a row resulting in shots on goal, and another several rabbit in headlights moments which have turned over play

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Apparently having all our ruckman injured and unfit to play is a slap in the face to collingwood. Jesus christ you stupid oval office BT.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

It's hilarious how much pace Treloar suddenly has when he is going forward. Overrated front runner.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Got a feeling that last minute goal to Moore at half time is going to hurt us at the end of this game

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Got a feeling that last minute goal to Moore at half time is going to hurt us at the end of this game

I would have put it more on playing like complete piss for the entire first half personally

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

50 for that. Really. Got to get your names in the loving paper somehow you fluro oval office.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gently caress that attempted tackle by harmes was pathetic

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gently caress we are so loving poo poo jesus loving christ gently caress this game

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DEFEND YOU loving MOTHERFUCKERS DEFEND gently caress

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

C'arn the Dees. At least I got one tip right

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

jack motherfuckin watts yea booooooi

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The tears of Collingwood fans booing are absolutely delicious. Makes that win so much sweeter. loving lol.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Now if only we can get someone above 195 cm into the team at some stage this year

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Dees probably a bit lucky to get away with that, hearing the cllingwood fans hang around to boo the song was pretty funny though

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Pretty good craic eh

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Dees probably a bit lucky to get away with that, hearing the cllingwood fans hang around to boo the song was pretty funny though

Jayden Hunt's entries inside 50 were piss but I still loving love him

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

jack motherfuckin watts yea booooooi

Was sitting right in front of where he kicked it from, was sick

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Was sitting right in front of where he kicked it from, was sick

arguably should have centred it to jones or petracca to take another 30 seconds off with a mark but whatevs

lol, Watts was live streaming from the ice baths after the game and him and Hunt were taking the piss out of pies fans complaining about umpiring. Absolutely good poo poo.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 12, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Buckley was just asked about Robbos idiot tweet and I'm pretty sure he just said it wasn't out of character 🔥

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Robbo used his apology letter to Alex Fasolo to ask for an exclusive interview :negative:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dennis Cometti posted:

Looking back over my media days I don't think I could ever be labelled a 'umpire basher'.
My coaching days? Well, I can't vouch quite as strongly for those!
But in the solitude of my living room on Saturday I found myself spiralling out of self-control.
Turns out Alastair Clarkson might have been feeling much the same way.
Fair to say the umpires controlling the Hawthorn-Gold Coast game may have single-handedly torpedoed any prospect of there being four central umpires any time soon.
If having 'four umpires single-handedly' do anything sounds a little odd it's worth noting that over the weekend Donald Trump tweeted 'fabricated lies made up'.
A rare triple tautology! Maybe he lost it watching the same game too!
Is footy just getting too arcane to umpire?
I think maybe it is. And in the process is too much that's obvious missed?
Certainly I don't envy them their role.
Because even when one has a very good day they are invariably seen as part of a whole. One of Saturday's quartet may have had a 'blinder' but I wasn't watching them, I was watching the ball because that's where the action and the free kicks happen.
To the average footy fan it is ‘umpires’... plural.
As in the umpires had a bad day!
Ironically their bad day, although consistent over four quarters, peaked mid-way through the second quarter when Jesse Lonergan (a very promising player incidentally) was tackled in possession by Will Langford.
To all intents and purposes it was your run of the mill 'holding the ball/incorrect disposal' free kick resulting from the perfect tackle.
Langford had one arm firmly around his opponent's waist and the other restricting Lonergan's free arm.
For what seemed like an eternity Jesse was taken a full revolution before sinking slowly like a setting Sun on a hot summers day.
As an afterthought he simply dropped the ball and attempted to kick it as he settled on his backside .. and missed!
Yet as every player in the vicinity slowed for Langford to take his free kick and kick a goal 'play on' was the call.
It was at that point even Siri sung out 'you're kidding'.
By the final siren both she and I were hoarse!

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/the-game-that-broke-an-umpiring-pacifist-ng-b88504027z

Fine Clarkson all you want for calling your broken product what it is, idiots, but it's time to take your heads out of the sand. The rules need to be totally reviewed and the umpiring department needs to be overhauled.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

I think holding the ball is a bigger issue right now. I feel like the deliberate thing is gradually sorting itself out. It is way better than it was in the first few weeks anyway.

I'm sure I'm noticing it a lot because the Hawks are rarely in possession, but tackles go largely unrewarded. Players will literally drop the ball as soon as they feel contact and that's considered play on. They know that if they drop it or throw it or just place it on the ground they are unlikely to be pinged. Even after taking multiple steps and having ample oppurtunity to get rid of it. And then when one player finally gets pinged, often after barely any oppurtunity, everyone is left wondering what the gently caress the rule is. Maybe allowing this dropping poo poo is to keep the game moving but it is ugly and frustrating and leaves a rule that appears to only get applied occasionally and randomly.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

That's something I've never really understood only watching footy for the last few years. If you drop the ball and don't kick it after having prior opportunity how is that not incorrect disposal every time?

Holding the ball, or lack thereof is my biggest loving issue right now.

The rule needs to be, in my opinion, as follows.

IF after taking possession of a ball during a "play on" scenario (aka, handball receive or called play on) the player has exactly two seconds to dispose of the ball legally. IF the player is impacted by an opposition player so that they are dispossessed (aka, drop the ball or have it taken from them) or can no longer dispose legally after this 2 seconds they are considered to be infringing and paid a free kick against.

Simple, done, no excuses. Umpires can count ONE DA DA TWO DA DA pinged! Clear as daylight in my opinion. No more "took them on" or "didnt make an attempt" or anything like that. You have TWO SECONDS invincibility and thats all. Hell, is that even too long a time?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Nutsngum posted:

Holding the ball, or lack thereof is my biggest loving issue right now.

The rule needs to be, in my opinion, as follows.

IF after taking possession of a ball during a "play on" scenario (aka, handball receive or called play on) the player has exactly two seconds to dispose of the ball legally. IF the player is impacted by an opposition player so that they are dispossessed (aka, drop the ball or have it taken from them) or can no longer dispose legally after this 2 seconds they are considered to be infringing and paid a free kick against.

Simple, done, no excuses. Umpires can count ONE DA DA TWO DA DA pinged! Clear as daylight in my opinion. No more "took them on" or "didnt make an attempt" or anything like that. You have TWO SECONDS invincibility and thats all. Hell, is that even too long a time?

Makes sense to me. Keeps it fast moving if it's scrappy and reward strong tackles. I would say if the player goes to ground and maintains possession of the ball it is a ball up as normal. I think players will attempt to get rid of it if the tackle isn't strong and they feel they can to their teams advantage but powerful tacklers will gain more frees for their team or at worst recieve a ball up. As it is now it just means the ball stays on the ground longer and results in more congested footy

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

St Kilda are 1 win behind Melbourne and yet, theoretically, could be 4th last while Melbourne are 4th after next week.

It wont happen but gee wizz every game is big at the moment.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
There's 11 clubs with a % over 100.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton gets a third Rising Star nom in 7 weeks (and one of those was a bye) with David Cunningham taking it this week. 8 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks and kicked 2 goals straight.

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/874211655919452165

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/th...ing-alex-fasolo

I wish Mark Robinson would just stop being a stupid loving idiot. God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

TG-Chrono posted:

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/th...ing-alex-fasolo

I wish Mark Robinson would just stop being a stupid loving idiot. God.

What the gently caress. How loving stupid do you have to be to get a job in the AFL media (very). How does someone like Whateley stay sane when he's surrounded by so many giant idiots.

• Locked thread