Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The amount of times my Challenger gets "balanced" against an E25, a Scorpion or an SU-122-44 is... well, it's a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

A Handed Missus posted:

T-34-1 with the upgraded round 170 mm armor turret is hella nice

Eh, it's not that great. It's got a cupola sticking out and the combination of the limited gun depression and low height mean there are few places where you can be hull down without having any of your paper hull exposed. At least it was a lovely vehicle when I played it a couple years ago, before various map revisions.

R. Mute posted:

The amount of times my Challenger gets "balanced" against an E25, a Scorpion or an SU-122-44 is... well, it's a lot.

I'll never forget the T25/2 battle where I was the only 7 versus a lone Tiger H on the enemy team. :suicide:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Ranked mode poo poo:

I am Rank 5, can't drop below it for the stage now. It took me 45 games. You need 1 chevron for rank 1, 3 for rank 2, 5 for rank 3, 5 for rank 4, 7 for rank 5. 21 total chevrons, meaning I got 21 chevrons, plus 12 chevrons to make up for 12 I lost (I was never bottom 3 on a win). Every single one of those lost chevrons were entirely my fault, for expecting too much from my team. You can never, ever go wrong in assuming your team will choose to lose a game they have in the bag, as HFX can attest. Do not ever assume they will win an 11v5 fight. They will frequently choose to lose it to sabotage their team so they can farm more damage on a loss.

e: lol wargaming are loving assholes. The ranked leaderboard tallys up your total rank points in a season across all the stages, and if you the top 10%, bam you got a bunch of boxen coming to you in July. The more rank points you get (getting rank 5 lets you get rank points on individual tanks) the higher up on the leaderboard you are. The tiebreakers for that, if you're tied with people with the same number of rank points? Chevrons/battle, average damage, average xp, average assist. Notice that winrate isn't there at all - you cannot find someone's winrate in a stage or season on the leaderboard! No wonder this game mode is such a clusterfuck when Wargaming openly says that helping your team is a mistake.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 11, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
One problem of the JT88 is that it can control a lane so to speak, but most maps don't have that anymore. If you have to relocate you're slow and vulnerable. Still a good tank especially with a JPE100 crew in it.
Is there a new premium tank as fun as the FCM but with actual armor and a better gun?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tahirovic posted:

One problem of the JT88 is that it can control a lane so to speak, but most maps don't have that anymore. If you have to relocate you're slow and vulnerable. Still a good tank especially with a JPE100 crew in it.
Is there a new premium tank as fun as the FCM but with actual armor and a better gun?

Yeah, unfortunately you'll have to wait for the 252U/Defender or T26E5/Patriot to go on sale again, the latter of which will have a good shot at being a July 4th tank, and the former probably for Wargaming's "Birthday" in August. The T26E5 has a bullshit turret and ultra-cheap ammo, and even the silver is APCR.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I remember when the Patriot came out and people said wargaming wouldn't release a more busted premium for a while. Then I come back like half a year later and the Defender is out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hellsau posted:

Notice that winrate isn't there at all - you cannot find someone's winrate in a stage or season on the leaderboard! No wonder this game mode is such a clusterfuck when Wargaming openly says that helping your team is a mistake.

Just further proof that winrate doesn't matter :downswords:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Can anyone help me figure out how to play the JPII (top configuration)? On paper it has everything it needs to make it a great TD: decent superstructure armor, good gun, good mobility.... And yet I'm finding it miserable to play, and have a terrible winrate with it. No matter what I do, whether stay back and snipe, or mix it up at closer range, I get murdered as soon as I'm spotted, which is usually very fast, since this thing is tall and has little camouflage.

I'm a pretty experienced player, with a good overall winrate, and played through several other td lines (Foch 155, Obj 268, Grille 15, T110E4), but for some reason the JPII which has a fairly decent winrate among other players makes me want to slit my wrists despite being theoretically amazing. How do I play this drat thing properly?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Never be at the front of anything (exception being a rush to a good concealed sniping spot early on to get a poo poo off before the enemy is anticipating fire) relocate like a motherfucker, abuse bushes for camo to set up your shots before immediately relocating, never trade.

Oh, also: RELOCATE LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I don't know the "official" way, but when it comes to hard to hide TDs like the Skorp G I used a net till I got my crew trained in concealment ^ And yeah, as said, relocate, don't camp a bush for long periods of time

Today I think is the first time I rage quit this game. 5 matches and each one a lemming train that refused to cap and instead died one at a time to reset the home base. Where's arty to reset the camps from afar, you ask? we're all dead after being abandoned by the team rushing the flank

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

I don't know the "official" way, but when it comes to hard to hide TDs like the Skorp G I used a net till I got my crew trained in concealment ^ And yeah, as said, relocate, don't camp a bush for long periods of time

Today I think is the first time I rage quit this game. 5 matches and each one a lemming train that refused to cap and instead died one at a time to reset the home base. Where's arty to reset the camps from afar, you ask? we're all dead after being abandoned by the team rushing the flank

It's pretty bad this morning. Just lost a match on mountain pass to capping... there were five greens, 2 on the ice road and three next to the hill right by the north cap... none of them would take a hit to just reset the drat cap. They were literally right around the corner from the three cappers and no one would reset it. Something like this:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

Can anyone help me figure out how to play the JPII (top configuration)? On paper it has everything it needs to make it a great TD: decent superstructure armor, good gun, good mobility.... And yet I'm finding it miserable to play, and have a terrible winrate with it. No matter what I do, whether stay back and snipe, or mix it up at closer range, I get murdered as soon as I'm spotted, which is usually very fast, since this thing is tall and has little camouflage.

I'm a pretty experienced player, with a good overall winrate, and played through several other td lines (Foch 155, Obj 268, Grille 15, T110E4), but for some reason the JPII which has a fairly decent winrate among other players makes me want to slit my wrists despite being theoretically amazing. How do I play this drat thing properly?

As for the high winrates in the JP2 I think those are from before the HD model and TD nerf. If I remember the casemate armor was nerfed making hull down worse.

Have only played the Ferdie, but the short 128 on a mobile chassis can't be bad. It is a perfectly OK gun on the Jagdtiger until I grind the long one.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hey guys I'm dumb and have more gold than sense when it comes to WoT so I bought the Krupp-Steyr Waffenträger to give my Rheinmetall-Borsig crew an excuse to get double XP twice a day.

Then on my second game with I had a T-34-3 lobbing HEAT at me before I could get a third shot off. Oh well.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So for ranked, does your final rank or your highest rank determine your final placing? I just can't seem to hit rank 5 and I wonder if I should just stop and not risk falling under 4 at this point.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

So far today I have 4k average WN8 and a 0% win rate. :suicide:

Edit: Just team after team of idiot assholes. Including Wargaming's own MeatheadMilitia.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 11, 2017

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Praise Allah for this TD 2x mission - slapped on a couple of extra +100% XPs I had lying around and took my Challenger from 55k-ish XP to GONE gently caress YOU CHALLENGER GO gently caress YOURSELF

Hope the Charioteer doesn't burn through credits like I know it will

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

So for ranked, does your final rank or your highest rank determine your final placing? I just can't seem to hit rank 5 and I wonder if I should just stop and not risk falling under 4 at this point.

Anyone? I dropped down to rank 3 anyway. gently caress ranked at the weekend, I have never seen so many people completely unable to play basic maps. And of course once they run to some stupid spot and die without getting a shot off they then berate the team and spam the map. I might just disable chat for ranked in future.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ranked is a terrible game mode made worse by a toxic community full of trash players, who remain absolutely convinced of their own superiority, despite their inability to ascend beyond rank 1.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think everyone called this game mode going that way as soon as it was announced.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I remember when the Patriot came out and people said wargaming wouldn't release a more busted premium for a while. Then I come back like half a year later and the Defender is out.

Then we got the Chrysler K, and Wargaming is considering selling a tier 8 Maus premium. :stare:

Mr.48 posted:

The Ferdi's better than the JP2 now, sorry to say. The slight gain in mobility over the Ferdi isn't worth the loss of armor (and gun depression,) which goes from unreliable on the Ferdi to absent on the JP2. The gun is the same though, which is great. You have choices, then: go back and play the Ferdi instead, or continue the JP2 with the sniping role using that moderate mobility to relocate. The Ferdi at least can do the assault gun thing, since it can bully & bounce lesser tanks, but the JP2 doesn't bounce much of anything. I had both TDs by the way, and ended up eliting the Ferdi to get down the line because of all the aforementioned reasons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Then we got the Chrysler K, and Wargaming is considering selling a tier 8 Maus premium. :stare:

I'll bet *money* that they'll release both variants and discount a pack with both by :10bux: as a 'great deal.'

I also keep waiting for the day when they think up selling 'upgrades' for current premium tanks. A new gun for half the price of a T8 premium that makes the tank practically a T9, for instance.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'll bet *money* that they'll release both variants and discount a pack with both by :10bux: as a 'great deal.'

I also keep waiting for the day when they think up selling 'upgrades' for current premium tanks. A new gun for half the price of a T8 premium that makes the tank practically a T9, for instance.

And then a full-price "black edition" for each of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

And then a full-price "black edition" for each of them.

Mah president is black, my Maus is too...and I be god drat if the tracks ain't too...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JP2 getting 1150 HP while having no armor and poor gun traverse is kind of a shame when the Ferd gets 1500 HP and technically has armor in some spots and can peek its gun around corners.

Also ranked battles are going exactly as expected according to Wargaming's public statements about the mode. Every game is 1v29, except the very few games where you and another pubbies are in a spot where you both can support each other to ensure you'll both be top 3 on a loss, in which case huzzah you accidentally created a platoon. Outside of those rare situations, do not assist your team if it causes any detriment to yourself, because the game mode isn't designed to help you help your team or reward you for helping your team.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They should've just brought back Historical Battles - a bit like "Standard Mode" in Hearthstone. No 'experimental' poo poo, no 'test' tanks, just locked configurations of "shot bullet at tonk."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They should've just brought back Historical Battles - a bit like "Standard Mode" in Hearthstone. No 'experimental' poo poo, no 'test' tanks, just locked configurations of "shot bullet at tonk."

Except such a mode wouldn't function without a set of balanced tanks - if you were stuck with a Pz3 while your teammates got a loving King Tiger, and the enemies have 90mms and 105mm derps, you're probably just gonna suicide or quit out. Since WoT has no entry fee for a game, the mode would swiftly die since it'd be a few of the players lucky enough to get actual tanks playing against lots of drowned players or AFKs.

Why not have actual balanced tanks playing against each other? Because Wargaming seems literally incapable of balancing things, so much so that it appears to be a deliberate strategy of including badly unbalanced poo poo like the Chrysler or Maus. I literally didn't equip a Rammer to my Maus because my damage output was so high that I thought I already had one equipped! Any of our tier eight tournament opponents can attest to how grossly overpowered the Chrysler is. The fuckin Skoda and TVP T50 still have not been nerfed. The Obj 907 armor model was deliberately changed to include several zero damage zones onto its collision model with zero indication of them on the visual model. For some reason, presumably backed by questionable marketing research, Wargaming chooses to have unbalanced stuff as a part of their business model and game design. Any historical battle mode that would be expected to be active for even a month wouldn't fit with their design philosophy.

Also PvE is verboten for some reason.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Hellsau posted:

WG knows they can't program better bots than the poo poo already being used by players.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Desuwa posted:

WG knows they can't program better bots than the poo poo already being used by players.

WG's first attempt at bots were the "forts" in Bastion mode in Warships. They were pretty dead-on accurate.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hellsau posted:

Which is extra weird because it's in Warships and it's actually quite solid.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey people struggling through ranked battles, we might be setting ourselves up for a huge disappointment. From the ingame leaderboard:

Apparently the "top 10%" as shown now is basically useless, since for the actual top 10% (the players that get 5750 boxes at the end) it'll only count players with 12 or more rank points at the end of the season. Rather, it'll count players with 12 or more points for Stage 4, and presumably also the end of the season, but Wargaming could always pull another switcheroo if they wanted to. Maybe there'll be a bunch of pubbies who are willing to suffer through ranked battles to fill the queues and get up to 12 points but not actually push through into the top 10%, but it seems much more likely that players who missed the first couple stages won't even bother trying to play the ranked battle mode since they're never going to get into the top 10% without playing a hell of a lot of games to grind out lots of vehicle ranks. There's a good chance that the ranked battle queues are going to get real long in the last stage. Anyway, I got rank 6 (rank 5 + my first vehicle rank on the Maus) in 57 games. Sabotage your team, ensure your top 3 on losses, get your chevrons, piss off pubbies, etc.

btw the XP system in this game is broken as all hell:

Zero kills, zero spotting, 500 damage, limited bounced damage (which doesn't even count) and yet still top 3 while a Foch with the only kill and 2300 damage is 7th.

xthetenth posted:

Which is extra weird because it's in Warships and it's actually quite solid.

Yeah well Dragon's Ridge, the best map (r.i.p.), is in WoT Console, so maybe Wargaming's non-WoWP divisions aren't under the same insane restrictions as PC WoT.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Zero kills, zero spotting, 500 damage, limited bounced damage (which doesn't even count) and yet still top 3 while a Foch with the only kill and 2300 damage is 7th.

Was he the last person left alive? You're continuously leeching xp the entire time you're alive, so you can get top 3 on a bad loss just by hiding in a corner all match.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
According to some people that's how you get top xp in an arty, you need your team to fail pretty bad while you survive and get 1-2 shot guns in.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Mah president is black, my Maus is too...and I be god drat if the tracks ain't too...

my president, sadly, is orange. I think we need Cheetos to sponsor a premium

Tahirovic posted:

According to some people that's how you get top xp in an arty, you need your team to fail pretty bad while you survive and get 1-2 shot guns in.

I'd like to get a chance to just do something half the time. I seem to get the same maps over and over; Himmelsdorf, Stalingrad*, Kharkov, Sacred Valley, and a sprinkling of Fisherman's Bay, Lakeville and if I'm lucky, Murovanka. All of the last three I can actually rock the maps when there are competent scouts, but normally just get the ones that get raped in the first minute.
Most of the time I spend my time just relocating to find a shot or run because the flank folded before I could get a second shot off or everyone lemming'd.

*gently caress Stalingrad especially. It's the same layout every time, morons rush the east flank but no one looks down by the water line and end up getting encircled.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 12, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It seems like the 122-54 would be a nice tank if only maps weren't so small and lovely. And I guess some people are having good games in it because this wasn't even an ace game:

I don't enjoy it much, but with the double XP TD weekend I want to finish it off and sell it. I just wish it had either more camo or some armour/depression. It's so awkward trying to get shots on people, especially if you don't want to get spotted. It's fast and can flank at times, but often there's nowhere decent to go. You have to assault gun a fair bit and without a turret and no armour it is again really awkward. Then the 263 comes next with it's super frontal armour, so different from the rest of the tree, it's weird. They should give it some armour to ease into the playstyle, maybe even increase the whole line so they are the armour/dps TDs while the other is camo/alpha line. It clearly needs something, since it's the lowest winrate T9 TD:
http://www.vbaddict.net/statistics....t_ratio&server=

The SU 101 at t8 is last by an even larger margin, at 46% average WR, and while the T7 is not the worst it is still <50% average WR. It's weird they added a new, Russian, TD line and left it so bad for so long (and yeah, I remember when they took away the big guns during testing).

While I am complaining, I have also really been wishing for more useful equipment choices recently. Everything is basically vstab, rammer, optics/vents with a few exceptions and certain tanks that can't use those. I'd like grousers to be there for everyone and have a noticible effect on ground resistances. I'd like improved suspension to be replaced with am improved drive train and have an effect on engine power too, as well as making it a universal thing and not this stupid bullshit of having different suspensions for different nations and tanks. I'd like extra turret motors to increase rotation speed. Maybe equipable schurzen/skirts to mitigate HE/HEAT a bit (unlike spall liners unarmoured tanks would get some use out of them).

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

R. Mute posted:

Praise Allah for this TD 2x mission - slapped on a couple of extra +100% XPs I had lying around and took my Challenger from 55k-ish XP to GONE gently caress YOU CHALLENGER GO gently caress YOURSELF

Hope the Charioteer doesn't burn through credits like I know it will

I just unlocked the Charioteer as well and I like it. The stock gun is low alpha (but still twice as much as the Challenger) and a little finicky, but it's a pretty fun tank. Kind of weird to see such a wonky turret on a Cromwell chassis.

So Ferdinand is definitely the way to go after the Jagdpanther? In a vacuum I'd always opt for mobility, but probably not at the expense of 40% more hitpoints and actual armor.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Barry posted:

I just unlocked the Charioteer as well and I like it. The stock gun is low alpha (but still twice as much as the Challenger) and a little finicky, but it's a pretty fun tank. Kind of weird to see such a wonky turret on a Cromwell chassis.

So Ferdinand is definitely the way to go after the Jagdpanther? In a vacuum I'd always opt for mobility, but probably not at the expense of 40% more hitpoints and actual armor.

Ferdinand is fun. I'm a shitter and I usually do pretty well in it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hellsau posted:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WG's first attempt at bots were the "forts" in Bastion mode in Warships. They were pretty dead-on accurate.

Bastion was loving awful. Fortunately they removed it completely form WoWS. I do not recall if they were going to try and re-implement it or not. But, in the most recent patch WoWS did add a PvE mode that's reasonably interesting and actually somewhat challenging. Not a ton of replay-ability to it, but getting a full group together to try and do it was pretty fun. Also, AI Botes shoot and torp better than pubs. Go figure.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I've actually been playing the PvE a bunch and just trying to get better at it. It'll be cool when they add more though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Reward for rank 5 in stage 1: 500 bonds, 5 Cola, 150k credits, and three 2hr 100% crew XP reserves, which are effectively worthless because I have 42 hours of 200% and 9 hours of 300% crew XP boosters. Why exactly they needed to keep the stage rewards a secret is beyond me.

e: btw top 10% ended at about 1200th place, but with the new leaderboard cutoff of 4 points, 10% ends at 280th place. This is gonna be a clusterfuck :(

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow, 500 bonds. You only need to place in the top 250 10 times to be able to get the new equipment. :effort: