Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
It's the pro tour hall of fame. Garfield wasn't a pro tour dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

clamiam45 posted:

It's the pro tour hall of fame. Garfield wasn't a pro tour dude.

Yeah, which is why SO says to change the name to just Magic Hall of Fame. Which people like Garfield, Rosewater, et al would be in. Which would be fine to me, every sport has their athlete/important wing and then the owner/ref/journalism/participation trophy wing. It makes sense to add one eventually.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
General magic contribution is basically how Randy PT Chicago 1987 Buehler got in and it does seem odd that Garfield, maro, Forsythe, Bill Rose, etc, don't have more official recognition. Or even Rich Hagon and BDM at this point.

That said you could combine seth with cheon and caleb and gaby and kenji or whatever and I still don't think this content producing mutant is quite there yet.

ask me about my strong opinions regarding the magical hall of fame

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What time does the hype train start?

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Sickening posted:

What time does the hype train start?

8am PST. So, top of the hour.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
About an hour I think.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

What's today's announcement? There were so many this week I can't keep them straight.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alaan posted:

What's today's announcement? There were so many this week I can't keep them straight.

Something about Standard going forward?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Crazy hypothetical thought, let's assume Marvel somehow gets banned this week, what rises to the top in Standard? Mix of U/R Control, B/G Energy/Delirium, and B/x Zombies?

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Alaan posted:

MaRo says it's titled Metamorphosis 2.0, after the Metamorphosis article that introduced 2-set blocks and the 3-block rotation. So, presumably, this'll be something big.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

turnways posted:

Crazy hypothetical thought, let's assume Marvel somehow gets banned this week, what rises to the top in Standard? Mix of U/R Control, B/G Energy/Delirium, and B/x Zombies?

Some other combo deck kept in check by Marvel

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

turnways posted:

Mardu probably gets better. Regardless, whatever happens isn't all that exciting because so little of the standard season is left with modern next up.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

turnways posted:

Turbofog

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

turnways posted:

Temur Energy. The deck is straight gas. I think it's T1 even with Marvel in the format.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Some other combo deck kept in check by Marvel

Sickening posted:

Mardu probably gets better. Regardless, whatever happens isn't all that exciting because so little of the standard season is left with modern next up.

mcmagic posted:

Temur Energy. The deck is straight gas. I think it's T1 even with Marvel in the format.

Makes sense, for all those. Was thinking of getting back in for casual FNM and I only really like playing Standard, saw how poo poo it all was and figured if I was going to go another deck route today might be a good day to trade in a bunch of old poo poo for what I'm missing in case there's any price fluctuations.

Last time I played seriously was the summer of Affinity Ravager and I don't ever wanna play such a heavily banned and broken deck again, and the last time I bought cards was original Zendikar so I've got a pile of Scalding Tarns / Arid Mesas / Goblin Guides from what was (at the time) a few budget RDW decks to trade in. I might just go make a Modern deck instead.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Minority Deport posted:

MaRo says it's titled Metamorphosis 2.0, after the Metamorphosis article that introduced 2-set blocks and the 3-block rotation. So, presumably, this'll be something big.

New format? One that completely drops Legacy into oblivion and makes Modern the oldest format thus dispensing with all the whining about the reserved list in one fell swoop... Just rambling here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I'm pissed that just when I found a good Standard deck that isn't marvel, the season is over. This ALWAYS happens to me....

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'd be ok with banning Ulamog but they won't do it.

I think there is a lot of funk janky things you could do with Marvel once Ulamog is banned however a T4 Kozilek, Worldbreaker is still an annoying thing to have done to you

lockdar posted:

whining about the reserved list in one fell swoop

i just don't see them abolishing the list regardless if the majority of the community want it to be done.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

I'd be ok with banning Ulamog but they won't do it.

I think there is a lot of funk janky things you could do with Marvel once Ulamog is banned however a T4 Kozilek, Worldbreaker is still an annoying thing to have done to you

This proves my point that the problem with Standard right now is that they went back on the 18 month rotation, not Marvel as a card. All 3 of those cards should've rotated already.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the big things are that small sets are not going to exist moving forward(so "blocks" are going to be one set) and the core set is coming back. Also some more marginal stuff about the gatewatch and fewer masterpieces or whatever http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/metamorphosis-2-0-2017-06-12

E:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This could be cool. Good for Standard, anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Changes seem fine. Though the core sets were never all that exciting to me...

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I like that a lot. I'm not really a fan of the 2x Small, 1x Big draft format.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Some core sets were pretty cool, and always felt like a nice little breather in between story-driven sets. Just magic cards and you play them, like old times

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

"Today's article isn't really about this one, but I want to bring it up because it was the process of adapting to the Two-Block Model that made us realize we wanted to iterate on how we make Magic. There have been substantial changes behind the scenes, but I'm going to wait to write about these changes until we get to the products that are affected by the new processes (As "Eggs," Ixalan's small expansion, is technically the first set affected, expect an article from me about it late this year."

Not giving me a warm fuzzy about the state of standard till then.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Gonna be great for limited, I don't think a format has ever been improved by adding an additional set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

we're going to end up with some very large standards if there are no small sets moving forward

that's not me passing judgment, just a statement of fact

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

"Today's article isn't really about this one, but I want to bring it up because it was the process of adapting to the Two-Block Model that made us realize we wanted to iterate on how we make Magic. There have been substantial changes behind the scenes, but I'm going to wait to write about these changes until we get to the products that are affected by the new processes (As "Eggs," Ixalan's small expansion, is technically the first set affected, expect an article from me about it late this year."

Not giving me a warm fuzzy about the state of standard till then.

It's the soonest we can hope for, really, based on their design process. Actually, the best we can hope for is the promise that they'll be proactive in banning cards that have slipped through the cracks on the way to this revamped behind-the-scenes structure.

Also:

quote:

Our new plan is to continue to design flavorful story cards but only push them for Constructed when, through playtesting, we believe that they lead to a better Constructed environment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Gonna be great for limited, I don't think a format has ever been improved by adding an additional set.

SOI/EDM was MUCH better than triple SOI.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like all of these changes.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

maybe if you were only drafting it a few times but it got stale really quickly for me since a few of the color pairs outclassed everything else by a huge margin

also the SoI pack at the end was always a huge dud since so many cards were based around synergies that didn't exist any more

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
For the first new Core set reprint Bolt and Counterspell

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Glad to see core sets are coming back. I always enjoyed drafting core sets, never understood the hate.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Gameplay-wise yes but after 3 months I've always found myself wishing that the next block would come out so I can try some new mechanics.

Also drafting 2 small set packs and then 1 big set pack always felt a little muddled to me. You had 2 packs where the small card pool forced you into a much more narrow lane and then your last pack was essentially spinning the wheel to see what good cards from the big set that fit your deck showed up in 8 packs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

little munchkin posted:

Triple Ravnica was okay, but full block is much more interesting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

As a big ol' story nerd, I like the sound of more worlds and less Gatewatch. :toot: Curious to see how they'll do the core sets. Origins was really neat thematically, I'm hoping they'll do more stuff like that.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I feel like part of the point of the Masterpieces were missed. The reason the Amonket Invocations failed was because they were A. Ugly as Sin and B. Largely not valuable. Players aren't playing the Invocation lottery; they are playing the Force of Will lottery.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Everything he said about (past) core sets in that article is stuff that I agree with. Not sure what the new ones will look like but I'm willing to try them out especially if they're going to be easier to draft (I am bad at draft)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i feel like they don't quite grasp that the invocations were terrible because the cards looked like garbage

if you could have an original force of will vs that abomination you'd pick the original every time, but with the expeditions and inventions you'd probably want the new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Not to mention that if you wanted to draft a small set with your friends, you had to get your hands on 6-8 boosters of the large set. You couldn't just buy a box and draft it like you could with a large set.