Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

It's a scramble for a local supermarket lol. I don't know if they let 30+ teams sign up or what. I'm hoping the woman I talked to last night was mistaken. But apparently it's a very popular one with free beers, one of the maintenance sheds in the middle of the course gets converted to a food+drink station, etc. My team has a pretty good shot at winning some skins I expect but the downside is I might literally die like I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The only way I could see that work is if only 4 people played every hole. 8 people all hitting from one spot would take loving ages

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DJExile posted:

The only way I could see that work is if only 4 people played every hole. 8 people all hitting from one spot would take loving ages

It's two foursomes playing at the same time basically, not teams of 8. But yeah even tournaments that do two teams starting on the same hole, one teeing off after the first has played their second shot, are long. This has the potential of setting some kind of slow play record if its really the format I was told.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god that is going to take at least 7-8 hours.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
My regular group of guys that play together on the weekends routinely plays as an 8-some as long as we're not in a tournament and the course won't get pissy about us doing it. We almost always finish in 4.5 hours. And that's with everyone playing their own ball.

It's baffling to me how loving slow your average scramble tournament takes. I chalk it up to scrambles attracting lots of non-golfers and usually having a bunch of nonsense to distract people during the round, like booze and fund raising holes and whatever else, but it's still crazy for a round to take 6 hours when you're basically never hitting a shot from a tough spot and never making worse than bogey.

My club has gotten incredibly strict with pace of play during our tournaments over the last year or so. Last week we had a tournament with 88 players and the last group finished in 4:10. It was amazing. We used to be lucky for the last group to finish in 5:30.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I played in a scramble yesterday that took nearly 7 hours. It was pretty fun at first because most of the tee box sponsors went completely over the top with food and booze on every hole but after a few hours I was completely over it. Waiting for 20 minutes on every tee gets really old.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Went into the used shop today and came out with a 56* Ping Tour Gorge SS in red dot. It is nearly impossible to mishit this thing. Beautiful loft, and stops on a dime. Straight as an arrow too.

Is this what modern irons are like? Because wow.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Bilirubin posted:

Went into the used shop today and came out with a 56* Ping Tour Gorge SS in red dot. It is nearly impossible to mishit this thing. Beautiful loft, and stops on a dime. Straight as an arrow too.

Is this what modern irons are like? Because wow.

Ah, the honeymoon period...enjoy it!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just got home from my first round of the year. It got up to 32 today, factor in humidity and no wind and I basically look like a lobster and am totally beat on top of being sore in places I forgot could get sore.

Shot 109 despite averaging 1.3!!! putts per hole, not a single 3 putt green. I think being basically 3 off every single tee block made up for my god tier putting. Just couldnt stop pulling every tee shot left into the rough/bushes/trees oh god so many trees. I was out with my dad and his friends and they couldnt stop laughing at how long it took me to get to the green only to be the first one done :v:

Only left myself with 4 chances to use my new 60 degree Callaway and I think I like it accuracy wise but man is it going to take some getting used to distance wise. 2 of them landed right beside the pin before rolling away, 1 hit the pin and rolled off down the hill (:argh:), and 1 I flubbed in hilarious fashion leaving myself with a second chip for almost the same distance only to double hit the ball mid air costing me yet another stroke.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What exactly does keeping your arm straight during the backswing accomplish?

Today at the range I finally decided to work on keeping my left arm straight, which has always been an issue because my left shoulder is disaster area, and I can't bring it all the way to the center of my body during my backswing -- so I always compensated by just letting my left arm bend. So what I did today was essentially 2/3 of a back swing...all I could manage while keeping my left arm straight. My forearm never got past horizontal, but I immediately started hitting the ball very well, and even farther than usual. The timing of the release changed, so I would push & pull quite a bit, but that started to even out near the end of the bucket.

Is it that keeping the arm straight during the backswing eliminates a variable and makes your swing more consistent? Because my bad shots have been apparently random for the last two years -- thin, fat, top, chunk...I would never know which until after I swung.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 11, 2017

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Lincoln posted:

Is it that keeping the arm straight during the backswing eliminates a variable and makes your swing more consistent? Because my bad shots have been apparently random for the last two years -- thin, fat, top, chunk...I would never know which until after I swung.

Yeah, that's one thing. Also, like, imagine a figure skater pulling their body in. You don't want to rotate a mass close to your body and then move its radius farther. Also your elbow typically wouldn't give you much power anyway unless you used it at the end of your swing, which would be horrible for your elbow (snapping it like that), and of course wildly inconsistent. I think you can survive an elbow bend as long as you straighten it out early on the downswing, and use it at the start of the downswing. (I tend to unconsciously bend my elbow, and when I notice get real anal about keeping it straight, I tend to hit a lot better.)

When I first took golf lessons as a kid, the first swings of the club I took were with a bent elbow. I'd copied a lot from pros on TV and golf digests, but didn't notice keeping the left arm straight. The instructor didn't correct it at all. I could still hit the ball reasonably straight, for what it's worth. Then I got Five Lessons later that year, for Christmas, and revamped my swing in my bedroom. (The result: perfect ball contact, wild directional inconsistency, and a ruined bedroom carpet.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is a good one (timecoded link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_oXWySyU8&t=1179s

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Much better range session today. Irons are becoming more reliable and straighter, and I hit a few of the targets set up on range. Driver only spun off a few shots to the right, much straighter today. Even managed to bounce one of the back fence at 250.

Now to take this consistency onto the course...

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
First 4 holes: bogey, par, double bogey, double bogey.

Last 14 holes: bogey free -3.

Didn't lose a ball, but I forgot how to hit a driver and escape from trees.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So that scramble ended up being 30 teams, and we played as foursomes for 10 holes and then eightsomes for 8. Finished in just under 6 hours. Other teams were out for almost 8 hours so we got lucky with the order of teams. I won a closest to the pin but didn't play very well. It was a fun day though and the drinks and steak were good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

So that scramble ended up being 30 teams, and we played as foursomes for 10 holes and then eightsomes for 8. Finished in just under 6 hours. Other teams were out for almost 8 hours so we got lucky with the order of teams. I won a closest to the pin but didn't play very well. It was a fun day though and the drinks and steak were good.

jeeeeeeeesus

6 hours is a miracle

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Whoever suggested The Grint as a golf app knew what they were talking about. It's now my favorite.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

daslog posted:

Whoever suggested The Grint as a golf app knew what they were talking about. It's now my favorite.

I've used Golfshot for years, and I've been trying out swing x swing for tracking side bets, but what does Grint do better than Golfshot?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I've been struggling with my grip change for the last week and a half or so, but last night had a mini-revelation.

I was taking the club back way too steep, which meant I wasn't really rotating my torso at all. I started bringing the club back more inside and holy crap, best iron play of my life. I'm actually confident standing over a 5 iron now, and my short irons are spinning back on the greens. However, I am still struggling a lot with my woods. I played 18 last night and shot 79, the back nine I shot 41 and I only hit 1 fairway. Had to hit punch shots on 6 holes because I hit poor tee shots. Front nine I got luckier when I missed the fairway.

I did however do something I don't think I've ever done before. I was -1 on the par 3s. I hit 4 beautiful tee shots on those holes, exactly where I aimed, good distance control too. They weren't super short par 3s either, 155, 168, 180 and 170. Not super long either I suppose, but I wasn't hitting wedges or anything. It felt like I hit every green where I had a clear shot into it yesterday, and that is rare for me.

If I could get the driver under control I could be pretty dangerous!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kameh posted:

I've used Golfshot for years, and I've been trying out swing x swing for tracking side bets, but what does Grint do better than Golfshot?

For me, I like it the interface more, you get official Handicap tracking, and there is a shank button. It's not leaps and bounds better than Golfshot or SwingbySwing, but I find better overall.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We have our first official complainer about US Open course conditions. Specifically the fescue.

Congratulations to those that had Kevin Na in their pool

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

We have our first official complainer about US Open course conditions. Specifically the fescue.

Yea that poo poo is dumb. They should have just turned it into a red staked lateral hazard so the players can at least take a drop.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

actually the US Open being on brutal courses fuckin' owns :frogc00l:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

actually the US Open being on brutal courses fuckin' owns :frogc00l:

It took me 4 strokes to hit out of a mud bog on the first hole on Saturday because we have had so much rain. I suppose that could be fun it if it was for a million dollars, but I was kinda pissed that I didn't have a chance.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously the greatest thing about the US Open is watching the best players in the world struggle to get to 2 under par while you just know groundskeepers and course engineers are sitting back laughing with glee

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Well there are definitely two sides to the issue.

The fescue, if you can even find your ball, is unplayable. If you're taking a drop every time you go into the fescue, you might as well play it on a course surrounded by water instead.

The other side, logically, is to simply don't hit it there. These fairways are perhaps the widest in US Open history, plus there are 5 or so yards of traditional rough before you get to this nonsense.

So, if the players treat it like a water hazard, then maybe the complaints will go down.

Edit: I don't care for Kevin Na, but I was with him until he lost his composure at the end and made some weird plea to let past champions come up with a setup. I'm pretty sure the last agreeable setup was the most recent playing at Pinehurst, and Martin Kaymer went wire-to-wire. It wasn't even close.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

Me, and I like the interface, too. The GPS breakdown is very useful.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

DJExile posted:

That's not golf. That's stupid witchcraft.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/erin-hills-course-thoughts

Good little write-up from Fried Egg on Erin Hills

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/erin-hills-course-thoughts

Good little write-up from Fried Egg on Erin Hills

quote:

The word is that the USGA plans to get the greens rolling around 14 on the stimpmeter, which will make putting extremely difficult if the wind blows. If that is the case, players who can avoid downwind and downhill putts will be well served.

get innnnnnnnn

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they should also have to execute a shot in under 30 seconds or they lose a club

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
You wouldn't actually try to hit out of that or a bog for that matter. You take an unplayable lie for 1 stroke. So yeah it's very much like a hazard. A tough course with hazards everywhere sounds like a good challenge for these pros, not sure what the issue is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: US Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823476 :siren:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
How wide are the really thick fescue areas? If they are wide enough then is it possible the two club lengths you get from a drop don't even really do you any good?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

How wide are the really thick fescue areas? If they are wide enough then is it possible the two club lengths you get from a drop don't even really do you any good?

From the looks of it most of the really thick stuff is just beyond the normal rough. So in those cases the regular 2 club unplayable should work. In any case you can always do the 'trace a line between hole and your ball and drop anywhere back from that' unplayable remedy, which would work in most cases that the 2 club length wouldn't. It's going to be a pain in the rear end for sure. Will reward drivers who can consistently hit fairways and punish bombers with no control - I don't see anything wrong with that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

From the looks of it most of the really thick stuff is just beyond the normal rough. So in those cases the regular 2 club unplayable should work. In any case you can always do the 'trace a line between hole and your ball and drop anywhere back from that' unplayable remedy, which would work in most cases that the 2 club length wouldn't. It's going to be a pain in the rear end for sure. Will reward drivers who can consistently hit fairways and punish bombers with no control - I don't see anything wrong with that.

The problem is, if you hit a slice into the crap, the line back from the hole is almost always going to stay in the rough. Since it's not the line the ball went in, but rather on line to the hole.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

They're links-style course big, so rather large.

The big issue with the fescue is that it's thickest just off of the fairway because of over-fertilization. I'm not a big fan of Geoff Shackleford but he's been writing/tweeting about it. The fescue actually gets thinner as you move away from the edge of the fairway so a bad/marginal shot gets penalized more than a total shank in theory.

Of course these are the widest fairways ever on a US Open course and a lot of people are saying that players could conceivably hit every fairway in regulation in a round, even with a few not so great shots.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Finally getting (relatively) hot here in the CO high country. 80+ degrees at 8,000 feet, might as well be playing on the moon.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah it was 90ish and sunny with some wind the last two days here, it dried the courses out considerably. The rest of the week is going to be a bit cooler thankfully and still gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

torgeaux posted:

The problem is, if you hit a slice into the crap, the line back from the hole is almost always going to stay in the rough. Since it's not the line the ball went in, but rather on line to the hole.

True but you can also redo the shot entirely. I was merely pointing out the stupidity of the video where a pro golfer hacks into super tall grass. You'd be a fool to ignore the much easier option of an unplayable.