Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Trevor Noah is the worst of all.

Trevor the Noah is currently enjoying a ratings bonanza big league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Joementum posted:

yes, though the land those buildings occupy would be part of the district. the only requirement is that D.C. cannot exceed ten square miles in total size. it could even be in multiple locations.

Square miles, huh. :thunk:

Just tilt the angle of that square a bit and make a really long and thin district going halfway across the continent.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
https://twitter.com/Ah_occ_o/status/874026453716934656

My fanfic is real :kimchi:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man Musk posted:

I loving knew that nobody needed the trump presidency more than Trevor. Imagine how dead the show would be if Hillary won and it was just endless labia-licking.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

http://blog.lareviewofbooks.org/essays/dont-expect-liberalism-come-defense-keeanga-yamahtta-taylor/

quote:

The other lesson cuts to the heart of why the outrage Sarah Jones asks after isn’t forthcoming. Liberalism portrays free speech in terms of an action subject to market forces. It is an absolute, similarly conceived as the free flow of capital. Let every idea stand on its intellectual merit, it says, and those most compelling will rise to the top while consigning more fringe or odious ideas to the dustbin of history. But not without a debate or contestation in the market. What Murray’s defenders bemoaned was the shunning of meritocracy in favor of solidarity, the explicit choosing of sides.

This plays out again and again. One need look no further than the success of media-savvy white supremacists like Richard Spencer or Tomi Lahren to see that liberals love putting this idea into action. When Trevor Noah chooses to provide Lahren with a platform, ostensibly for a “debate,” or Charles Barkley interviews Spencer, they tacitly acknowledge that racist views have intellectual merit, and that they should be contested on the battlefield of ideas rather than ruthlessly stamped out by any means necessary — anathema to liberalism. And the first means is to not provide platforms that reach millions, as mayor Ted Wheeler attempted to do last week after white supremacists vowed to rally for free speech.

Liberalism sees racism as something political, and therefore contestable. It is not. It is a systemic and historical fact with material consequences, whether they be economic or threats of bodily harm — something at the core of Taylor’s book and research. But liberalism operates in a world of ideals, not material reality, and it cannot help but conceive of racism in terms of free speech. It’s something that can be mitigated through reason or debate, that is, through the central tenets of free speech and the marketplace of ideas. But just as neoliberals mystify government complicity in and control over markets, liberal idealism mystifies racism via free speech, and obscures the fundamental fact that there are limits to free speech.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

tl;dr:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

I loving knew that nobody needed the trump presidency more than Trevor. Imagine how dead the show would be if Hillary won and it was just endless labia-licking.

I mean, tbf, Jon Stewart's TDS didn't hit its stride until Bush's post-9/11 world of terror and war really got going

but yeah I could see Stewart taking President Gore to task, and he gave John Kerry no end of well-deserved poo poo during the 2004 campaign too, whereas I couldn't really imagine Trevor Noah questioning yas kween on anything

It really annoys me how hilltwitter keeps saying Sanders is a narcissist who is just riling up a crowd for his own glory or whatever

because if you go back a few years or a few decades, he was still saying the same poo poo even though nobody knew or cared who he was. This stuff is his passion.

Glad to see you can say the same thing about Corbyn :)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
We can't have free college or healthcare because those making six figures or more will see their taxes go up

Wrap it up bernailures

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Hilltwitter are basically people who only found out there was more to politics than voting every 2-4 years in November. Of course they have no idea who Sanders is. Meanwhile I first started hearing about him either during OWS or from a friend in the midwest who was at the Madison protests.

poo poo, the fact that people who opposed the bank bailouts, austerity and foreclosures liked him back then already is probably why some people have such a massive hate-on for the man.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Twitter in general is a pile of poo poo for political discourse and should be shut down. This thread is in fact a better platform for arguing about poo poo, and it sucks!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zegermans posted:

Twitter in general is a pile of poo poo for political discourse and should be shut down. This thread is in fact a better platform for arguing about poo poo, and it sucks!

Zergmans, good....?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

:agreed: who would have thought that a media platform specifically designed for people's unfiltered thoughts to be presented without context would be a really bad place for reasoned debate

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

zegermans posted:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Zergmans, good....?

where have you been last week I adopted a gimmick that I actually like better

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Agnosticnixie posted:

Hilltwitter are basically people who only found out there was more to politics than voting every 2-4 years in November. Of course they have no idea who Sanders is. Meanwhile I first started hearing about him either during OWS or from a friend in the midwest who was at the Madison protests.

poo poo, the fact that people who opposed the bank bailouts, austerity and foreclosures liked him back then already is probably why some people have such a massive hate-on for the man.

I think my favorite is during Obama's attempt to keep the bush tax cuts around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtXRX9P5PuY

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Twitter is really good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

We can't have free college or healthcare because those making six figures or more will see their taxes go up

Wrap it up bernailures

Ah well what if they didn't have any figures :getin:

Ace of Baes posted:

Twitter is really good.

Twitter is for misinformation and bullshit spreading by bad-faith actors

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

Twitter is really good.

If only twitter could be a better platform for Kekistanis to convey their truly well thought out intellectual content

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Man Musk posted:

Hillary Clinton

also another solid Ha! out of me on that one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

Twitter is really good.

I can't even make the expected "...for me to POOP ON" joke here because it's actually extremely hard to poop on a website

you can poop on YouTube but it'll get your account suspended

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

YouTube poop is an institution

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

I can't even make the expected "...for me to POOP ON" joke here because it's actually extremely hard to poop on a website

it's extremely easy to poop on a website, i'm doing it right now

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ace of Baes posted:

Twitter is really good.

sometimes, situation pending as always.

Mostly no, its a weaponized meme on the human consciousness and not even The Word of Qra can stop this forever psychic war we're about to engage.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I can't wait for twitter to declare bankruptcy and die forever

lol who am I kidding trump would buy it with taxpayer money

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Ace of Baes posted:

Twitter is really good.
Gnusocial is better. (I don't use it and I barely use twitter because all social media is narcissism and I hate myself - conditioned despite my huge ego of being correct and a rather chill/cool dude.)

A floss (free libre open source software) non-corporate controlled system running on a protocol that allows federated interconnected networks (addresses are @name@domain.com like how email works) for social media, where you can design it to look like twitter or facebook or whatever gets your rocks off, and doesn't limit you to 140 chars (unless the server owner wants that for their local instance (which would be dumb))

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Man Musk posted:

it's the Trump Effect, all putatively anti-trump shows are getting a boost and folks who associated w/ trump like Jimmy Fallon are collapsing

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just makes it easier for the right to take over next time when you kill enthusiasm with technocracy

https://twitter.com/ReelPolitcast/status/874284987318767618

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

just makes it easier for the right to take over next time when you kill enthusiasm with technocracy

French centrist party wins a massive landslide while every leftist candidate in 6 months has failed:

Actually this is good for leftists.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
when you're trying way too hard to fit in

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/874293110624440321

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

French centrist party wins a massive landslide while every leftist candidate in 6 months has failed:

Actually this is good for leftists.

Noooooooooooooooooo *dissapears into the void*

Serf
May 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

france gonna get hosed by this before long

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

"ha ha, actually, i love bernie. he's the best, i have always supported him."
*edges in front of closet, blocking door*
"i'm a huge progressive, actually. always have been."
*closet bursts open, thousands of MITT ROMNEY 2012 yard signs fall onto floor*

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

"Good lord what is happening in there"
"uh... DNC Stop Her signs?"
"D...DNC Stop Her signs. In this congress. At this time of year. In this political climate. Concentrated entirely in your closet."

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The fact that centrists are suddenly all for lefty policies is a good sign but they shouldn't be trusted to actually carry them out imo

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I don't see why a willow tree that bent in conservative favor and was loyal to them wouldn't be loyal the other way around if the wind blew hard enough.

Seize the movement and the wafflers will fall in line

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

zegermans posted:

I don't see why a willow tree that bent in conservative favor and was loyal to them wouldn't be loyal the other way around if the wind blew hard enough.

Seize the movement and the wafflers will fall in line

unfortunately the tree has spent too long being bent and has grown too big and stiff to bend back. the only thing you can do is pull it out from the roots

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Problem is that then they try to water poo poo down, see the axing of the public option. while they might be useful in the short term it strikes me as better to have someone who will carry out a preferred agenda without needing to dangle the sword of damicles.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Agean90 posted:

The fact that centrists are suddenly all for lefty policies is a good sign but they shouldn't be trusted to actually carry them out imo

yeah

remember the last time a centrist was trusted? and then how the pragmatic centrists spent the next 8 years tutting about us being foolish enough to believe campaign promises?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I thought he was a progressive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Concerned Citizen posted:

No see I was stealing them from lawns I'm a anti fah heck raiser you guys

• Locked thread