Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Horses can't be BWM, because they aren't a lifestyle choice. They are something you're born into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The only thing more insufferable than poor people with horses is rich people with horses.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Horses can't be BWM, because they aren't a lifestyle choice. They are something you're born into.

* Michelle sighs and draws her riding crop

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

She got real defensive about it real quick without any real provocation...

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"It is horse dancing, madam."

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Hoodwinker posted:

"It is horse dancing, madam."

I was looking for that Parks and Rec clip, but I gave up.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I came across the thread's favourite horselamp at the airport the other day.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

From the frying pan to the fire...

(UK) Leaving <£3.50/H job to persue investing? - Advice?

quote:

TLDR at the end, I'll try and keep it short.
So, I'm 19, in a crap job as a software developer on £3.50 an hour, on the UK Apprenticeship scheme.
Unfortuantly, 7 or so months into the apprenticeship, my apprenticeship company I was with went bankrupt (aka, stopped making profit) due to the goverment changing how apprenticeships are funded.
This now means that my apprenticeship, along with it's crap pay, is going to be extnded for much longer, possibly even having to redo it. Which takes the absolute maximum level of piss and ARGH.... Anyway I basically want to leave this shitshow as It's way too much hassle and stress.
I asked for a payrise and my boss basically said I'll be going up to £5.50 next year, and tried to dress it up like it was some sort of amazing deal. This company pretty much relies on me for just about everything, yet treat me like an underdog.
Anyway... I want to leave this job and look at the chances of becoming a forex trader, or possibly doing freelance coding, or even starting up some sort of blog website, I have £4,000 saved up and want some advice on what to do. I live with parents and don't really have any finanical worries.
And as I've learned from this job, I really hate being around people, anxiety explodes, confidence goes down in flames and makes me upset with myself, which limits my options.
TL;DR: poo poo job, not worth what I'm putting into it, I want to quit and am not sure if I should invest in forex, freelance, make a blog, or do something that doesn't involve too many people. Does not have any financial worries and is just looking for advice on what to do next.

Sounds like he's really being taken advantage of by his employer and knows how to save money, but he's contemplating jumping into an entirely new BWM well.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spoof posted:

I can't believe someone actually bought it, even if that someone is an airport.

I kinda always expected that if you did buy it you'd just get the money refunded with a "lol are you kidding it's a joke"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the UK really lovely for developers? I feel like with 7 months under your belt, you ought to be able to find a place that would take a chance on you if you just said "Well, I had an internship but it ended up having to be restarted, so now I'm looking for something permanent."

Or does everyone just do internships until you hit a year or something?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Inexperienced software developers litter the ground like dead leaves in the fall these days.

Though if he had any aptitude at all he could do better than he is. Right now he's in what sounds like a government-subsidized attempt to keep offshoring down, meaning he's doing work someone probably pays someone else even less to do if they are in India. And the guy in India would probably do it a lot better. Not much of a career path there.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

I can't believe someone actually bought it, even if that someone is an airport.

I kinda always expected that if you did buy it you'd just get the money refunded with a "lol are you kidding it's a joke"

I don't think it was even plugged in, so it couldn't actually function as a lamp. GWM/BWM?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

spoof posted:

I saw the horselamp in a documentary about Korean plastic surgery hospitals. So basically the same dudes who think it's a good idea to have a jawbone tower in their waiting room are the ones who want giant gaudy horse lamps.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I saw the horselamp in a documentary about Korean plastic surgery hospitals. So basically the same dudes who think it's a good idea to have a jawbone tower in their waiting room are the ones who want giant gaudy horse lamps.

That's like the kind of thing that would hold up a goblin throne :stonk:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Just finished sitting through a 90 minute sales pitch for World Financial Group which ended by trying to recruit me into the business, with the requisite of bringing one other new person to the next meeting. I went there under the guise of being a reference that they needed to interview in person. And it wasn't the person using me as a reference that sold it like that, it was his """boss.""" I find that very annoying and obtrusive.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'd like to think I'd have the strength to walk out.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'd like to think I'd have the strength to walk out.

I stayed out of respect for my friend. But really, the thing that bothers me most is I know he's going to follow-up and try to get me to hop on with a bunch of dreamy rhetoric. And I am going to have to tell him dude, you're a smart guy but you've bought yourself into a MLM and need to :getout:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Highbrow Slick posted:

I stayed out of respect for my friend.

Yeah exploiting this is basically how they all work

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the UK really lovely for developers? I feel like with 7 months under your belt, you ought to be able to find a place that would take a chance on you if you just said "Well, I had an internship but it ended up having to be restarted, so now I'm looking for something permanent."

Or does everyone just do internships until you hit a year or something?

He's 19, so he isn't doing an internship - he's doing an apprenticeship, which is an alternative to a degree, "learning on the job." That's why he's being paid less than UK minimum wage. He's not going to be able to do much entrepreneurship with a few months of on-the-job experience. If he can code at all, he should just do a degree - coders with degrees are in demand right now, and it's not like carpentry or something where you learn better by doing than sitting in a lab.

Apprenticeships are mostly a way for the UK government to make unemployment stats look better. It's better than sitting in your room moping, though, which looks like his plan B (it's a rare guy with social anxiety that can sell a few months of code experience enough to become a contractor.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

it's not like carpentry or something where you learn better by doing than sitting in a lab.

As a senior developer with like 7 years experience at this point, it absolutely is something where you learn better by doing than sitting in a lab. I mean there's some fundamentals that I think a course teaches that experience doesn't (like algorithmic complexity) so I think everyone should have some kind of training but we spend like 6 months just bringing fresh grads up to speed on all the experience and domain knowledge and stuff they didn't get in college, stuff that you could easily get a leg-up on if you have an internship or hell even just work on some github projects.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

He's 19, so he isn't doing an internship - he's doing an apprenticeship, which is an alternative to a degree, "learning on the job." That's why he's being paid less than UK minimum wage. He's not going to be able to do much entrepreneurship with a few months of on-the-job experience. If he can code at all, he should just do a degree - coders with degrees are in demand right now, and it's not like carpentry or something where you learn better by doing than sitting in a lab.

Apprenticeships are mostly a way for the UK government to make unemployment stats look better. It's better than sitting in your room moping, though, which looks like his plan B (it's a rare guy with social anxiety that can sell a few months of code experience enough to become a contractor.)

Thanks for the explanation (I'm in the US) though I disagree with this point:

quote:

it's not like carpentry or something where you learn better by doing than sitting in a lab.

I've been in development for decades now and it absolutely is like that. There is certainly a place for formal schooling, don't mistake me, but all good programmers learn the most by doing, and the more practical the problem solving is, the better. If we're talking application development as a career; R&D and such are different.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My friend who bought a house with her ex and decided to move in together anyway has been living with him for a little over 3 weeks and just had their first meltdown facebook post about suing to be able to paint the house.

Honestly, they are doing better than I expected.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah that's not as bad as I'd have thought, nor as quick.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Heh, if lab work was as good as real work, there wouldn't be so many IT duds with a bucket of certifications.

Coding might not be as bad, but on-the-job training teaches you how to deal with teams and if there's one thing coders need it's more people skills.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ex-BF house girl following up her meltdown post with a string of cryptic messages.

She is still determined to live with him "for a couple years at least. For the value to really go up. Or until he moves out."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 12, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

coders with degrees are in demand right now, and it's not like carpentry or something where you learn better by doing than sitting in a lab.

Coding is definitely something you learn better by doing beyond class assignments.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

She is still determined to live with him "for a couple years at least. For the value to really go up. Or until he moves out."

But it's an up and coming neighborhood!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Heh, if lab work was as good as real work, there wouldn't be so many IT duds with a bucket of certifications.

Coding might not be as bad, but on-the-job training teaches you how to deal with teams and if there's one thing coders need it's more people skills.

Oh absolutely 100% this too

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Haha. I hate people doing the fake cryptic "I'm upset but I'm not going to say why" attention begging stuff, so it's funny the ex is more direct.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

If people whose entire job is using s computer get to say "Lol I'm not good with computers" then we get to say "Lol I'm not good with people." :colbert:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6gt1sw/father_59_stopped_paying_my_29f_student_loans/

quote:

My parents divorced when I was in high school. Their divorce agreement states that my dad would pay 60% of my college education and my mom would pay 40%. When I finished college, my dad said he would only pay for the loans he co-signed for (50%). My mom took him to court, and the judge said he couldn't enforce what was said in the divorce agreement. After all of this happened, my dad told me he wouldn't pay the loans forever and they would eventually be my responsibility.
My dad paid for his loans for several years. He consistently paid a month late and never sent the checks to the loan company himself, opting instead to write me a check that I would then deposit and then send to the loan company. He paid only the interest for as long as he could, so his currently monthly payments are a whopping $500/month.
Fast forward to two summers ago. My dad got two months behind and told me to start paying it. He'd opened a new business at the time, and it was failing. My husband and I started making the payments to protect ourselves. A few months after he had to close his business, he was diagnosed with cancer and could not work.
Since this point he has not paid my loans and we have not discussed them. I understand that he cannot pay now (given his filing for bankruptcy), but I want him to take the responsibility back over when he is able. I haven't brought it up, because my dad has a history of alcoholism and depression and I don't want to be the reason he succumbs to either of those ailments. Also, my sister sides with my dad on this and thinks he shouldn't have to pay. I love my niece and fear she might cut off contact between us.
Before I come off as greedy, let me make a few points. My dad has literally never brought up the loans. He hasn't even thanked us for taking over the payments, but he praises the rest of his family for giving him loans. Also, since we started making the payments my dad has adopted two dogs and taken two trips that involved him paying for airfare. Also, he has an RV and the monthly payment costs more than my loan. He only recently decided to sell the RV, but he doesn't like the trade-in value someone quoted him...so he's going to keep it.
I've talked to my friends who are parents about the issue, and they think my dad is crazy. He made a promise to me, and he should keep it. They said they would default on everything else before that put that sort of financial burden on their kids...especially since the reason my dad's business failed was because he ran it poorly. Before all of this happened, my husband and I planned to get a second car. Now, we haven't been able to. We live in a suburban area where you have to drive to everything, so we need one. $500/month is a lot!
On top of paying my dad's loan, I also pay for my grad school loans. I knew they would be my responsibility before I enrolled.
I'm not really sure what to do. I understand my dad is in a bad place financially, but I don't think it's fair that my husband and I should have to pay for his mistake. Any suggestions?
tl;dr: My dad is having financial trouble and has stopped paying my hefty student loans.

According to the comments she racked up $130,000 in student loans and is a teacher.

edit: got it before she deleted

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wow, girl thinks her cancer dad should subsidize her lifestyle.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
"my dad's loans"

"his mistake"

What part of "unenforceable" does this knucklehead not understand?

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
How dare he not even THANK ME for taking over MY COLLEGE LOANS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6gscgf/i_have_two_cars_which_should_i_keep/

quote:

The details on how I ended up with two cars are not important, I had a major life altering event occur that caused this situation. I make 68k a year, I have 15k in student loans, and 15k car loan.

I have 3k in the bank. On to the vehicles. I have a 2015 honda with 40k miles that I bought with the loan. I also have a 1995 land cruiser with 266000 miles that I paid $1500 for. It runs great and I just towed a trailer across the country with it. Where I am now living is space limited and having one car would make things significantly easier. I also would like to have the freedom of not having half of that debt by selling the car.

I also need reliable transportation to work and I'm not sure if the land cruiser will hold up because it is so old.

The land cruiser gets half the gas mileage but has double the space which is important to me since I'm outdoorsy. Would it be fiscally irresponsible to get rid of reliable transportation that I paid a great price for, to drive what I want to drive even though it could break down? Thanks for the help. If you need any more info let me know.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6gtbra/what_are_some_cheap_businesses_you_can_start_on/

What are some cheap businesses you can start on your own or with a friend? (self.personalfinance)

quote:

I am 21 years old and I have saved up a bit of money ( around 3000$) and I am looking to invest them in something. What small business or investing strategy i can do with this small amount of money to get huge returns?

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 12, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why didn't he enforce some discipline on his daughter? If he was going to agree to funding her education, at least he should have imposed some reasonable conditions instead of allowing such a massive loan for a bullshit major.

I think ***BOTH*** the dad and daughter are morally to blame. Don't do stupid poo poo and don't agree to stupid poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's weird that the divorce agreement is just considered null and void. She needed to know that before cosigning loans with him. Ideally he would have had to pay the school with or without her signature.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Photex posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6gt1sw/father_59_stopped_paying_my_29f_student_loans/

According to the comments she racked up $130,000 in student loans and is a teacher.

edit: got it before she deleted

On the one hand it seems like he was consistently letting interest build up and it sucks that he apparently has no accountability for a loan he co-signed for. On the other, he has loving cancer and he did say he wasn't going to do it forever. Life sucks, nut up and figure it out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's weird that the divorce agreement is just considered null and void. She needed to know that before cosigning loans with him. Ideally he would have had to pay the school with or without her signature.

i'd think it was a reasonable expectation kind of thing? "Sure i'll pay for half" then half ended up being upwards of 60-70k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

"my dad's loans"

"his mistake"

What part of "unenforceable" does this knucklehead not understand?

Just because it's not legally unenforceable doesn't mean it's not extremely lovely to say "Hey, I'm paying most of your loans," then "I'm paying half of your loans," then "I'm going to pay the absolute minimum I can on your loans and also pay late so your credit gets hosed," to "I'm done paying your loans."

The cancer changes things, but it's not like he knew he was going to get cancer.