Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The most important question is will there be additional space Barbie options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iron Crowned posted:

It seems like the new classes are tied to the new resistance factions, which all have a unique look, so yes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

this is the most important question

give me pretty dress up or give me death

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I want a whole squad of fatties wheezing and struggling to fit through doorways

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I want a whole squad of fatties wheezing and struggling to fit through doorways

Keep your fetishes out of Xcom. Unless they have to do with snakes, in which case Jake has already accommodated you.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Apparently there are more details on the XCom site but it's crashing now due to a surge in hits :p. Supposedly one of the things is that bonds can form between your soldiers.

My thoughts

The Chosen: Sounds like Alien Rulers, which were kinda meh. Also sounds like they wanted something like a nemesis system. I'm curious where it goes but this is actually what I'm least excited about.
Resistance Factions: Could be interesting, but I suspect it'll mostly come down to "do this/these scripted storyline missions to gain new toys"
New classes, new enemies, new toys: This is probably the main thing I'll buy the expansion for. Yay!
The Lost: It sounds like you'll occasionally get missions into the ruined cities (I'm guessing either as a new mission type or the new scripted ones) and the Lost will be attracted to noise and attack both you and Advent. Sounds kinda cool, but I wonder if they'll be making AI changes; currently the AI usually just takes the best shots, which would probably result in the Lost being basically infinitely respawning mimic beacons. For this to be a challenge the AI will need a way of prioritizing The Lost attacking them while not messing with the ones threatening you.

One other thing I noticed: the trailer showed someone using a flamethrower on a crystal growth. I remember someone said in the tie-in novel Advent tends to quarantine areas and raze them with flamethrowers, and there's that PoI in game where you find the strange crystal growths. I'm guessing that will tie in with either the story or The Lost.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Looks pretty neato!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So three new classes. One is a psi-class that can make sick psi-sword, one uses a flamethrower as a primary weapon and one's a stealth ranged unit?

And they're basically recruits you pick up from the three other resistance factions?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Lost are definitely elerium zombies. They have glowing green eyes. I really hope they get crazy with that and by the end of the game the Lost are overgrown with elerium growths.

Bremen posted:

Supposedly one of the things is that bonds can form between your soldiers.

One step closer to Xcom Emblem.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 12, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Games › XCOM 2: EXPANSION AUGUST 29

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Keep your fetishes out of Xcom. Unless they have to do with snakes, in which case Jake has already accommodated you.

:(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bENBYSucQ

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Supposedly this is what is/was on the site that went down (c/p from Reddit):

quote:

NEW FACTIONS & HERO CLASSES

Three additional factions have emerged to strengthen Earth's resistance – the Reapers, Skirmishers and Templars – each with its own unique abilities and contrasting philosophies. These factions provide powerful hero class soldiers to aid in missions and new opportunities for the strategy layer.

THE CHOSEN

The Chosen are the most cunning enemies XCOM has ever faced, each with unique strengths and weaknesses that will be introduced with each new campaign. The Chosen are on the hunt for the Commander and will kidnap, interrogate, and kill XCOM’s soldiers to complete their objective. The Chosen can also invade the strategy layer and ravage XCOM’s global operations. Find and raid the Chosen’s strongholds to defeat the enemy for good.

NEW ALIEN & ADVENT THREATS

A deadly new alien known as the Spectre, capable of creating dark copies of XCOM soldiers, has snuck onto the battlefield. Adopt new tactics to counter it as well as the explosive attacks of the ADVENT Purifier and the psionically charged ADVENT Priest.

NEW ENVIRONMENTS AND MISSION OBJECTIVES

Engage in tactical missions across new environments from abandoned cities devastated by alien bioweapons during the original invasion, to underground tunnels and xenoformed wilderness regions.

ENHANCED STRATEGY LAYER

Manage XCOM’s relations with factions and counter The Chosen’s operations from the Avenger. Employ new Resistance Orders to prioritize your personal strategy. Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed.

GREATER CUSTOMIZATION & REPLAYABILITY

Soldiers can develop bonds with compatible teammates for new abilities and perks. The SITREP system dynamically adds new modifiers to the tactical layer to make sure every mission provides a unique challenge. Advanced campaign options allow for finer adjustments to game length and difficulty.

CHALLENGE MODE

Utilize the perfect strategy in new regular one-shot community challenges to claim the top spot on the global leaderboard.

SHARE THE RESISTANCE

Customize and pose your soldiers, then add filters, text and backgrounds to generate your own unique resistance posters that appear in-game and can be shared with friends.

So maybe the factions will be more than "Do story mission, get ally." This is sounding like a huge expansion.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

LordNat posted:

Looking forward to starting a mission within sight range of a Alien Ruler only to have The Chosen and The Lost horde show up.
We are reaching peek "That's XCom baby!"

I dunno watching a Berserker Queen mow through a shitload of mooks that aren't your dudes might be pretty cool

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh... not sure I like anything presented here, to be honest. Not seeing anything to address what I feel are the game's shortcomings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Here's the info from the official site

quote:

ADVENT, in its bid to recapture the Commander, responds by deploying a deadly new enemy force called the “Chosen.” The expansion also includes other new enemies, missions, environments and increased depth in strategic gameplay.
Here is a list of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen’s key features:
NEW FACTIONS & HERO CLASSES
Three additional factions have emerged to strengthen Earth's resistance – the Reapers, Skirmishers and Templars – each with its own unique abilities and contrasting philosophies. These factions provide powerful hero class soldiers to aid in missions and new opportunities for the strategy layer.
THE CHOSEN
The Chosen are the most cunning enemies XCOM has ever faced, each with unique strengths and weaknesses that will be introduced with each new campaign. The Chosen are on the hunt for the Commander and will kidnap, interrogate, and kill XCOM’s soldiers to complete their objective. The Chosen can also invade the strategy layer and ravage XCOM’s global operations. Find and raid the Chosen’s strongholds to defeat the enemy for good.
NEW ALIEN & ADVENT THREATS
A deadly new alien known as the Spectre, capable of creating dark copies of XCOM soldiers, has snuck onto the battlefield. Adopt new tactics to counter it as well as the explosive attacks of the ADVENT Purifier and the psionically charged ADVENT Priest.
NEW ENVIRONMENTS AND MISSION OBJECTIVES
Engage in tactical missions across new environments from abandoned cities devastated by alien bioweapons during the original invasion, to underground tunnels and xenoformed wilderness regions.
ENHANCED STRATEGY LAYER
Manage XCOM’s relations with factions and counter The Chosen’s operations from the Avenger. Employ new Resistance Orders to prioritize your personal strategy. Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed.
Soldiers can develop bonds with compatible teammates for new abilities and perks. The SITREP system dynamically adds new modifiers to the tactical layer to make sure every mission provides a unique challenge. Advanced campaign options allow for finer adjustments to game length and difficulty.
CHALLENGE MODE
Utilize the perfect strategy in new regular one-shot community challenges to claim the top spot on the global leaderboard.
SHARE THE RESISTANCE
Customize and pose your soldiers, then add filters, text and backgrounds to generate your own unique resistance posters that appear in-game and can be shared with friends.

So the three new classes are definitely special things you recruit from the other factions. And we're finally getting all the weird bioweapon poo poo the tie in novels talked about.

EDIT: Beaten

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Zore posted:

So three new classes. One is a psi-class that can make sick psi-sword, one uses a flamethrower as a primary weapon and one's a stealth ranged unit?

And they're basically recruits you pick up from the three other resistance factions?

Sounds like you interact with them on the map level and loan guys to them to help with their missions then they do the same back.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also the 3 new regular enemies are

1) Low level Advent psi-dudes to fill in between Sectoids and Avatars
2)ADVENT flamethrower guys
3) New alien that clones your dudes and has them attack you.

Which are interesting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

ENHANCED STRATEGY LAYER

This sounds like those LW2 havens but good and Second Wave (third wave) so I'm down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if I get an S rank bond between my soldiers will Tygan build a time machine so I can recruit their kid from the future?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Well it's going be fun seeing how many of my mods break.

On the plus side Firaxis like, took care of the *really* big mods I had by just making better versions of them in-game so like, that's one major source of worry averted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

So if I get an S rank bond between my soldiers will Tygan build a time machine so I can recruit their kid from the future?

And can we travel to other worlds to save our MEC troopers?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I better finish this long war playthrough before the end of August!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

No, we're going to put the kids in alternate dimensions where time goes faster so they grow up super quick and then press them into service.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Relax, it will be Vahlen growing cloned soldiers using the parents' DNA.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Vahlen, the original chryssalid

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There should be a level toward the end where the Chosen succeed in stealing you back, and after a level of Enemy Unknown get rescued by XCOM again only half of them are dead because Bradford still doesn't understand how cover works.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

If one of them dies in combat do all their kids go with them?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
One of the new classes has a 'Get over here!' grab like Vipers do with a long metal cable it uses to grab enemies by the neck. There's a cool pic on the Steam page.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

There should be a level toward the end where the Chosen succeed in stealing you back, and after a level of Enemy Unknown get rescued by XCOM again only half of them are dead because Bradford still doesn't understand how cover works.

It's New Foundland with Ballistic weapons and 4 squaddies :shepface:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do have to wonder if that person in the "stasis suit" from the trailer is Vhalen.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
They mentioned the factions distrust each other so I hope you need to do more (unique) missions in order to recruit the 2nd and 3rd factions; some occasional faction agenda mission(s) to maintain the pact would also do.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm getting the sense that Firaxis have decided that they can up the average number of missions per campaign significantly and the average player still won't get bored.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

One of the new classes has a 'Get over here!' grab like Vipers do with a long metal cable it uses to grab enemies by the neck. There's a cool pic on the Steam page.

That Officer is just like "ugh, not again". Typical monday work day.

Alchenar posted:

I'm getting the sense that Firaxis have decided that they can up the average number of missions per campaign significantly and the average player still won't get bored.

Firaxis probably thinks a longer campaign won't deter people as long as the missions are more diverse. Makes sense, but I hope they don't go LW crazy.

Also I was looking at the Xcom 2 achievements and they've already been updated with stuff from the Chosen. Notable ones;

quote:

No One Left Behind
Rescue a soldier who was captured by the Chosen

quote:

Weary Warriors
Complete a mission with all Tired soldiers and no casualties

Fatigue :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hopefully not identical to LW's, I hate that poo poo.

quote:

That Officer is just like "ugh, not again". Typical monday work day.

The other guy looks like he walked out of Destiny.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I bet you that 'fatigue' is something that accumulates as soldiers go on consecutive missions and is a mechanic they're throwing in to encourage big stables and get people to move away from 'a-team' syndrome.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Some more interesting achievements

quote:

Zombies in a Barrel
Get 15 Headshots against Lost in a single turn

Larger missions? Not sure how you get 15 shots otherwise.

quote:

Born in the Darkness
Get four kills from Shadow mode with a Reaper in a single mission

Reaper class has a 'shadow mode' that lets it do some kind of stealth it can attack out of

quote:

Circle of Psi
Raise a Templar to maximum Focus level, spend it all, and reach the max again in a single mission

Templars have a secondary resource system for their psi powers

quote:

Can't Stop the Fighting
Perform three offensive actions against the same target with a Skirmisher in a single turn

Skirmishers get something like Overdrive that lets them do huge burst turns

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Zore posted:

Larger missions? Not sure how you get 15 shots otherwise.

Face Off :v:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

quote:

Zombies in a Barrel
Get 15 Headshots against Lost in a single turn

...Headshots? Interesting.

Maybe you can shoot several zombies with one action since they're so slow and easy to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It says "headshot" specifically. Nothing does that currently right?