Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

GoldfishStew posted:

iPad Pro is actually the do everything computer.

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

GoldfishStew posted:

Oh cool are they porting Xcode to go along with the introduction of a file manager?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh great, after making GBS threads up the iPhone threads for months GoldfishStew found SH/SC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh great, after making GBS threads up the iPhone threads for months GoldfishStew found SH/SC.

You should see his lovely posts in the hiphop thread. Stick him on your ignore list!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I read it as a joke on Apple and smiled.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My 10.5 arrives tomorrow and will be replacing my 2016 Macbook. We have a hardly used iMac that I can do advanced poo poo on, should I need it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

I read it as a joke on Apple and smiled.

I read it as the truth and felt salty tears on my face.

The iPad really is the future though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Is the 13" TB MBP the way to go as a do-everything computer? Are any of the CPU upgrades worth it?

GoldfishStew posted:

But seriously, anything else worth it?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I read it as the truth and felt salty tears on my face.

The iPad really is the future though.

But I don't want to touch my drat screen :(.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know if you say that enough, Tim is gonna take away your touchscreen too and you'll have to program your apps in collaboration with Siri.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Residency Evil posted:

Is the 13" TB MBP the way to go as a do-everything computer? Are any of the CPU upgrades worth it?

If you need >8GB RAM, I'd say it's worth stepping up to the 15". 15" has twice the cores as well, and the 15" base config is actually pretty nice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If they require Metal going forward it'll be interesting. Maybe they'll let you run it if you have the right video card?

* Nvidia – GeForce gtx 4xx and newer
* Intel – HD4000 and newer (ivy bridge and newer)
* AMD – HD7000 and newer

2012 and earlier have room for two 2.5" drives. 2014 has one 2.5" and a spot for a pcie SSD stick.

Ah I see. I had a 2014 for a while and I swapped the spinning platter drive for a 2.5" SSD and assumed the earlier one was the same with drive bays. The 2014 only comes with the SSD slot IF you ordered with an SSD originally. if it came with a spinning platter drive there's no way to put in the stick based SSD so I went with a 2.5" drive instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GutBomb posted:

Ah I see. I had a 2014 for a while and I swapped the spinning platter drive for a 2.5" SSD and assumed the earlier one was the same with drive bays. The 2014 only comes with the SSD slot IF you ordered with an SSD originally. if it came with a spinning platter drive there's no way to put in the stick based SSD so I went with a 2.5" drive instead.

Yeah, this is pretty much why I'm sticking to the 2012 models as finding a dual drive 2014 for a reasonable price is hard work and I'm convinced in the apps I use (mainly Lightroom, bit of Photoshop, no games) I'd really notice the difference between HD4000 and Iris 5100. I know the latter has it's own memory, but I'm trying to get a 16GB model to make that less an issue.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Twerk from Home posted:

If you need >8GB RAM, I'd say it's worth stepping up to the 15". 15" has twice the cores as well, and the 15" base config is actually pretty nice.

I'm only saying I'd get 16gb to future proof, as I seem to keep my laptops for ~5-6 years. Am I wrong in upgrading the RAM?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I bought the new Macbook Air. Don't know why... but I did.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eightysixed posted:

But that screen :ohdear:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I... I... know :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eightysixed posted:

:saddowns:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eightysixed posted:

Aren't they only like $699 at Microcenter?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Aren't they only like $699 at Microcenter?

No clue. No Microcenters in this state. However online it says $949.99. So yeah, even more money wasted :saddowns:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The only bad part of the MacBook Air is the display. In all other respects it's a perfectly fine laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eightysixed posted:

No clue. No Microcenters in this state. However online it says $949.99. So yeah, even more money wasted :saddowns:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Correct. In store only.

eightysixed posted:

No Microcenters in this state.

edit: that's also the old 1.6ghz not the blaaaaaaaaaazing fast 1.8ghz one i just bought :v:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 12, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

Correct. In store only.

edit: that's also the old 1.6ghz not the blaaaaaaaaaazing fast 1.8ghz one i just bought :v:

Isn't it running a two generation better CPU though? GPU performance alone is twice as good (but 5 times worse than a regular video card). So that 1.8ghz is far better than the extra 200mhz would suggest.

And dat battery life.

It's no iPad Pro, but you got a nice computer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would consider returning the Air. The display is a raging dumpster fire.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Woah, MBA screens are a major fire risk? I have to go tell the TSA and MacRumours right now

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mu Zeta posted:

Having experienced 100+ Hz IPS, anything below is a raging dumpster fire by comparison. So basically everything in Apple's lineup except the new iPad Pro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I mean, $70 more could buy you a refurbished 12" Macbook

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FLH72LL/A/Refurbished-12-inch-MacBook-11GHz-Dual-core-Intel-Core-m3-Space-Gray

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have an Asus UX305 13" laptop with a 1080p IPS display and it cost me $600. There is no excuse for paying a grand for a garbage display. Maybe in 2012 it was acceptable but not now. Get literally any other Apple laptop than the Air.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I have an Asus UX305 13" laptop with a 1080p IPS display and it cost me $600. There is no excuse for paying a grand for a garbage display. Maybe in 2012 it was acceptable but not now. Get literally any other Apple laptop than the Air.

But can the Asus run macOS, the greatest desktop operating system ever created?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

But can the Asus run iOS, the greatest desktop operating system ever created?

Fixed it for you.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Interesting. I've never owned an Air and would never buy one, but what's wrong with the display?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try tilting the display and it completely washes out. The resolution is also too low. It's the same quality displays used in the ultra budget laptops from Dell. Even most Chromebooks have better quality.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Try tilting the display and it completely washes out. The resolution is also too low. It's the same quality displays used in the ultra budget laptops from Dell. Even most Chromebooks have better quality.

I have used a lot of those budget Windows laptops at work and the Air's display is nowhere near as bad as those.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
sure the macbook air has a pretty good TN panel display, but at the end of the day it's still a TN panel display

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BobHoward posted:

Originally the Fusion SSD was always 128GB, but the past couple of years or so Apple decided to reduce cost on 1TB configs by using a weird 24GB SSD instead. It's still a separate drive, just small. Natural confusion though, what with things like Seagate's SSHDs which integrate a small amount of flash into a spinning disk.

Western Digital actually built the frankenstein all in one drive in the form of the WD Black Dual Drive and it was a huge turd. I had to gently caress around with firmware until it was ready to be provisioned as a Fusion drive. At that point it actually performed pretty well for about a year before the SSD portion failed and it nuked the entire drive.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That WD Black2 was such a huge turd.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
For the 12" MB, how big of a battery hit will having an i7 and 16GB of RAM have relative to the base model?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The "i7" is still a low-power Y chip like the "m3" but with a couple hundred MHz more base and turbo. I don't know why they changed the branding - it's still a low-TDP fanless Y series, not at all comparable to actual i7s. I imagine battery life for typical tasks would still hover around 8h to 9h30m like last gen, more dependent on your use than the CPU clock. If you're decoding a lot of video, probably a nice boost there over last year. I don't have two side by side to test but I question the value of the "i7" chip to begin with, probably pay a hefty BTO premium for effectively 200MHz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I thought it was limited to core m only

E: welp