Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So I guess this means that Carl just had loving enough of Deer Meadow and coincidently bought a trailer park outside of Twin Peaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Krangdar posted:

The dopplegangers and the possessed people are not the same. The waiter was possessed/influenced by the Giant like Leland was possessed/influenced by BOB.

yeah it's a dopple

here's a short overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdi80KOr7M

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
chad is going to survive, have a subplot, and probably hang around until the end. you know this

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Basticle posted:

So I guess this means that Carl just had loving enough of Deer Meadow and coincidently bought a trailer park outside of Twin Peaks?

Or his trailer park is right between the two towns.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I'm rewatching the drug deal/magic dime scene again and substituting Charlie Sheen for Balthazar Getty and you should too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thom and the Heads posted:

she's a cartoon character of a nagging wife.

Congratulations on your lifetime of healthy relationships

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lord Krangdar posted:

Or his trailer park is right between the two towns.

Deer Meadow is in Oregon (OR EE GON), Twin Peaks is supposed to be near the Canadian border.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basticle posted:

It's problematic, because someone posted the shot of him from FWWM, and the scene ends with an electrical pole with a large 6 and a series of smaller numbers, and the new episode featured a reverse of the same exact shot after the child died, same telephone line, same numbers, but now it's in Twin Peaks.

edit: for Poster's credit

SlipkPIe posted:

Did anyone post this bit from FWWM yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPQRu4iOMeQ&t=115s

It's the intersection the kid was run over

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 12, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
The Secret History of Twin Peaks book retconned a lot, including the location of Deer Meadow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Franchescanado posted:

There is a Vin Deisel dwarf that is stabbing people with an ice pick set to hip hop music while a drug lord finger-guns a magic dime into a whiny brat's mouth. You're going to call an overly nagging woman the cartoonish situation?

Also, the fact that she's nagging from a a delusion, in an attempt to have any type of control in her life, due to losing her son to suicide works for me. Of course it's over the top, she's suffering from mental issues.

Just another way Lynch has introduced a funny aspect of the world then quietly paints it in tragedy.
Exactly. Her character makes complete sense after it was revealed that her son committed suicide. Like duh she's gonna be unhinged after that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord Krangdar posted:

The Secret History of Twin Peaks book retconned a lot, including the location of Deer Meadow.

That's what I assumed once I noticed the indiscretion.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Exactly. Her character makes complete sense after it was revealed that her son committed suicide. Like duh she's gonna be unhinged after that.

OH SO WE CAN AFFORD A BIG BUCKET BUT WE CAN'T BUY THE NICE RUG THAT I REALLY WANT?!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Accretionist posted:

Congratulations on your lifetime of healthy relationships

lol get a grip

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Basticle posted:

in the pilot episode cooper says deer meadow is in southwestern washington but the secret history book retcons that so that it's like a few miles from twin peaks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Nah, there's people that handle the loss of a loved one without becoming hysterical about everything. I like her character so far though. Actually, I don't think there's any characters that grate on me in the series. Not yet anyways.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Naomi was pissing me off when she wouldn't just open the envelope

But then she told off the bookies and completely redeemed herself

(She probably gonna get murdered by a dwarf)

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Dougie scenes are good because it's the inverse of Dale being trapped in the black lodge. Instead of a regular person exploring a disorienting world, it's a disoriented person exploring the regular world. He's still in the lodge without being in the lodge. When you get there, you'll already be there. There's more to it than an on-going gag.

People whining about not getting more of the same can rewatch the crappy parts of season 2 to their hearts content. That has plenty of classic Dale in Twin Peaks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Maybe when he's charging them with an icepick coop will see a light over his head and know something is up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Truman's wife and the way he just stares at her with a gentle expression of "what the gently caress" strongly remind me of Robert Duvall's character's dynamic with his wife in Falling Down.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Basticle posted:

Deer Meadow is in Oregon (OR EE GON), Twin Peaks is supposed to be near the Canadian border.

I've been thinking about why Harry Dean Stanton was in Twin Peaks. Did they sort-of retcon the town locations in FWWM? Because Laura and Ronette seemed somewhat close (personally) to Teresa, and they both went down to Deer Meadow when Leland arranged to meet Teresa. It made me assume the towns were close by, until I remembered that's supposed to be in Oregon and Twin Peaks is near Canada. That's quite a ways for Laura to be traveling regularly.

I may be misremembering the movie, but it seems like Lynch is wanting us to think these towns are closer together than originally planned.

edit: I didn't see the post above about the new book. That settles it, then.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
He was also abducted by "aliens" with the log lady, where she got that marking

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

weekly font posted:

The amount of time the hit and run lasted, especially at the end cutting to awful extras doing extended over the top reactions like we were suddenly dropped into Birdemic actually got me laughing.

The kid getting hit was pretty brutal but this was all I could think of during the reaction shots (should start at 7:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyOjwZo6QhU&t=419s

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 12, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, there's people that handle the loss of a loved one without becoming hysterical about everything.

Was this necessary to point out? Of course there are, we're just talking about the one specific character and the explanation of why she's off, we don't think Lynch nailed the one and only definition of grief in the portrayal of the nagging wife. I don't assume all dwarves want to stab people with an ice pick just because I saw one do it last night.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, there's people that handle the loss of a loved one without becoming hysterical about everything.

You're right, but you also have to concede that there ARE people that don't. Inversely, there's also LOTS of people that think they're being super edgy by making GBS threads on people who take personal loss/tragedy harder than others, much like the piece of poo poo cop who edgelords the gently caress out over her dead son. So the show was at least being true to life by showing how a typical white, overly aggressive male would react when faced with such unadulterated emotion from the opposite gender (poor babby troop couldn't take a bullet like a man? Boo loving hoo) and the assumption of emasculation (and not empathy) when it comes to his peer.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
Doesn't the sign outside the trailer park say "New Fat Trout Trailer Park"? Or did it also say that in FWWM?

Also it might be intentional that Stanton freaks out because the exact same pole is suddenly there?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I feel like there's been an overabundance of landline phones in the series so far. Several scenes of people on cell phones with big clunky landlines right next to them...anyone else notice that? I think the Log Lady had two corded phones too.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Cromulent posted:

I feel like there's been an overabundance of landline phones in the series so far. Several scenes of people on cell phones with big clunky landlines right next to them...anyone else notice that? I think the Log Lady had two corded phones too.

Intentional mise-en-scène. lynch has a fascination with telephones and uses them as a motif throughout his work. here, among other things theyre strategically placed and used to add to the surreal anachronistic atmosphere filled with faux-rusticisms. The world of Twin Peaks has always been 'frozen in time', at least superficially. the central conflicts in Twin Peaks are often tied heavily to the the pulling back of this veneer.

The central conceit of this new season deals with the passing of time. 25 years, lots of time! Too much time for a place like Twin Peaks to survive. As we continue to explore how the passage of time has both succeeded, and also failed in different instances to transform the town, its residents, the outside world, and Cooper himself I'm sure we'll continue to be greeted by a menagerie of technologies both old and new.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
So in my view this episode continues developing heavily the theme of motherhood and commenting on the changing role of the woman/mother in our societies. Men, especially the younger ones, are portrayed mostly as incapable man-babies, scheming thieves, loansharks, junkies or killers, with deep emotinal problems due to the lack of a firm psychic 'paternal function', eg: Richard Horne who's very touchy about being called a «kid» being the most poignant example, but also expertly demonstrated with Naomi's character stern talk to the loansharks about the 'unjustness' of their interest rates, re-asserting fully the common sense of the system by insisting on a 'fair rate' (whose reference is from her job in the financial industry).

Women have then to bear the brunt of this retreat of men from social responsability into adolescent hedonism, be it the hiphop boss lady who gets stabbed due the comical incapability of her hitmen , the single mother crack-addict who can only call for reverse 911, Shelly who has to sustain her daughter and her useless husband, and so on. Which leads us onto :

Violence and the exploration of it's different types. As many have noticed the scenes of the crowd reaction to the brutal killing of the playing child in the road seem oddly misplaced, the actors reactions feel forced and pointless, kind of comical even. This serves to signal a specific type of horror inherent to divine violence, violence perpetuated purely against symbolic law by an anonymous force (remember that Horne's character is driven by his distate of having to stop at the red light). This violence is a type of sublime event, leaves people mesmerized, uncapable of fully comprehending how such a thing could be possible. The car is there only for a couple of frames, and it disappears leaving only the loss of life. Agaisnt this we have subjective violence in the form of dwarf Vin Diesel, up close and personal, bloody and messy, just a quick look at him from the doorway signals imminent danger, he's murderous intent clear. And the last type of violence and perhaps the most important: objective violence, the violence which Dougie Cooper seems to be uncovering at his insurance company, the violence which must be kept quiet and hidden, for it's silent work is needed to keep the entire system running.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
It's been weird hearing criticisms that the show is nebulous or hard to follow. There are lots of disparate characters/situations, but they've already tied many of them together and it seems that the rest will eventually intersect somehow. It's definitely slow, and the lodge stuff is abstract, but the plot seems relatively straightforward.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I'm sure we'll continue to be greeted by a menagerie of technologies both old and new.
Jacoby's show was a great gamut of old to new technologies. Hand-crank audio, old microphone, early 2000's video camera, touch-screen tablet.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 12, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cromulent posted:

Jacoby's show was a great gamut of old to new technologies. Hand-crank audio, old microphone, early 2000's video camera, touch-screen tablet.

his assembly line for the shovels
when jacoby's took off his sunglasses in the first episode and he had his red green glasses underneath i knew twin peaks was gonna be something special

also i love nadine enjoying his show

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Were his scribblings supposed to have any meaning clear to us? Was he drawing lines between names or figures? I assume he was drawing some Black Lodge poo poo but are we supposed to know what he was putting onto that paper which was satisfactory to his boss?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Were his scribblings supposed to have any meaning clear to us? Was he drawing lines between names or figures? I assume he was drawing some Black Lodge poo poo but are we supposed to know what he was putting onto that paper which was satisfactory to his boss?

My assumption is that it's his Lodge-enhanced intuition drawing connections to implicate the sleazeball he said was lying in the last episode.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that coin scene had me tense as gently caress

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I got the feeling that the entire cocaine wizard scene was us seeing what Richard Horne was experiencing. High as gently caress. None of it necessarily happened the way we saw it at all.

Dougie's lodge-induced scribbles drew attention to the fact that the same agent was responsible for all of those case files. Which, seems weird that they needed a kindergartner's drawings to figure out, but nevertheless.

TrixRabbi posted:

He lost his shoes in the lodge and now he's walking a mile in another man's shoes. His sole is in the lodge and the shoes make the man.
David Lynch detected.

AlistairShepard
Sep 10, 2013
I watched episodes 1 through 5 no problem via Crave TV the morning after they aired. Tried to watch the newest episode this morning, and all I got was the first 18 minutes before it just cuts. I was on hold for over an hour before getting a crappy "well look into it" from their call centre folks. Pray for me. Q.Q

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm almost relieved Crave doesn't have a PS4 app, it sounds like a pretty lovely service unless you run it out of a browser.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm noticing that they're starting to ramp back up the King Arthur connection wrt Cooper. lives on Lancelot Court, the park this episode was at the intersection of Merlin and something else from the cycles which has slipped my mind

and now, after many years, he's returned from the otherworld when we need him the most :britain:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

You know gang, I love David "Dad" Lynch, but you guys seem to forget Mark Frost plays a huge role in the creation of this show too. It's not easy to say who is responsible for which parts of the script or the ideas in it, but it seems a little unfair to be all "Lynch this and Lynch that" and erase the contributions of the Luigi to Dad's Mario.

Also, folks saying those extras in the car-death scene were bad have probably never witnessed someone getting hit by a car, because that's about how it goes.

Generally weird to see people saying poo poo hosed with their suspension of disbelief while watching this surrealist TV show.

"Clocks don't melt like that!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
No one in their right mind would ever imagine for a second that Frost is a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Probably not genius, but he's still co-creator and co-wrote the story and script.