Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Noctone posted:

Somehow the most enraging part of that story is that they were won over with a loving PowerPoint presentation.

It works for the military, why not in this case too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I keep trying to get my hopes up, but no, I guess the Senate just isn't going to give up on trying to loving kill and bankrupt people. :smith:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

“Now I say promising, but I don’t know what it looks like legislatively … the key word is promising,” Graham said. “There better be [a vote this month], because this is not like fine wine, it does not get better with age.”

I love how they acknowledge openly that the longer people have to learn about and digest their ideas, the more they hate them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"poo poo, better rush this thing through quickly since we know people hate it." - An actual elected official, on record

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lightning Lord posted:

It works for the the Columbia disaster, why not in this case too?

Regulate PowerPoint imo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
quick boys let's squeeze this turd into America's upper deck before the obfuscating fart cloud clears!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yeah this is real bad, I don't like the sudden burst of confidence they have. The one bright point is the article says they still haven't resolved medicaid, which is by far the biggest sticking point.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Have there been any indications whatsoever about how the HFC freaks are going to respond to whatever the Senate kicks back to them? Probably too early to really say anything...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Have there been any indications whatsoever about how the HFC freaks are going to respond to whatever the Senate kicks back to them? Probably too early to really say anything...

Some muttered that the Senate better not change what they sent over much. Most have kept their mouths shut because they don't have anything specific to attack yet and they can deliver their threats quietly.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/872570096052563968

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/872570229540433920

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/872570510831386625

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/872570756349263875

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/872571060306288640

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
So what's the timeline for something getting a vote? They pretty much have unlimited time to do it, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Goddammit, loving murderers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lemming posted:

So what's the timeline for something getting a vote? They pretty much have unlimited time to do it, right?

They have to do it by about September. However they have to raise the debt ceiling and not shut down the government in that time as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Why are people surprised by this? The GOP was always going to repeal the ACA. Did anyone seriously believe that anyone standing by Donald Goddamn Trump was going to be swayed by a bunch of phone calls to the effect "Oh sir my daughter (who'd probably vote against you) can't possibly survive without her healthcare?" They don't give a poo poo about their constiuency, their plan is to simply redefine their constiuency into only those people who will vote for them.

Expecting the GOP not to murder poor people is like expecting the sun not to rise.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Why are people surprised by this? The GOP was always going to repeal the ACA. Did anyone seriously believe that anyone standing by Donald Goddamn Trump was going to be swayed by a bunch of phone calls to the effect "Oh sir my daughter (who'd probably vote against you) can't possibly survive without her healthcare?" They don't give a poo poo about their constiuency, their plan is to simply redefine their constiuency into only those people who will vote for them.

Expecting the GOP not to murder poor people is like expecting the sun not to rise.

The theory is that there were a few R's in the senate who thought that passing it would mean they were loving their own re-election chances, and they wanted that to happen less than they wanted to murder poor people.

Obviously, what was misjudged was how badly they wanted to straight up murder poor people over their own sense of self-preservation.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
https://www.axios.com/senate-gop-wrapping-up-health-care-bill-but-wont-release-it-2440345281.html

Can you still keep a bill secret even if the CBO has it? That doesn't make it open to public comment?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I talked to a dummy on this very forum pre-election who was planning to vote Trump despite being on Obamacare. Apparently I was really naive for thinking that Trump would follow through on his election promise to repeal Obamacare because "it would be unpopular." Best of health to that guy, I'm going back to my home country if decent health insurance is no longer available on the open market.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

https://www.axios.com/senate-gop-wrapping-up-health-care-bill-but-wont-release-it-2440345281.html

Can you still keep a bill secret even if the CBO has it? That doesn't make it open to public comment?

quote:

Senate Republicans are on track to finish writing their draft health care bill this evening, but have no plans to publicly release the bill, according to two senior Senate GOP aides.

"We aren't stupid," said one of the aides. One issue is that Senate Republicans plan to keep talking about it after the draft is done: "We are still in discussions about what will be in the final product so it is premature to release any draft absent further member conversations and consensus."

Holy poo poo. And on top of this telling quote from Graham:

quote:

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, asked if there would be a vote on the health care bill by July 4 said "there better be."

"'Cause this is not like fine wine, it doesn't get better with age," he added with a laugh.

They all know how bad this is and they don't care. Tax cuts Tax Cuts TAX CUTS!!!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They all know how bad this is and they don't care. Tax cuts Tax Cuts TAX CUTS!!!

I think they feel invincible right now because their voters have shown that they have utter loyalty to party, no matter what the party does. It must be a rush.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think they feel invincible right now because their voters have shown that they have utter loyalty to party, no matter what the party does. It must be a rush.

This sounds a lot like what dems thought in 2016 lol

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The problem with pushing back Medicaid rollback is that it may cause it to add to the deficit. Each year they push back Medicaid rollback is like $70-100 billion to the deficit because the bill is relying on the savings. If it's too big of a hit, then it can't be passed through reconciliation. Two years back would get it really close to being deficit neutral, but then you get the uninsured increase for no meaningful change in the deficit. Also the plan is backloaded on savings for marketplace plans, so basically there are no groups of people that benefit from the AHCA, except people under 40.

It's actually amazing how little the tax cut is getting play in the media. People making over $400,000 are getting a 4.6% income tax cut and people making over $200,000 are getting a 3.8% long term capital gains tax cut. Those are the only people that are benefiting here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Almost $900 billion into the pockets of the 1%. That's the purpose of the AHCA.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

They're selling your organs for a quick buck.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gosh, I really want to keep my organs, but I guess they really want to keep their money. Hopefully we can reach some kind of compromise.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Spiritus Nox posted:

They're selling your organs for a quick buck.

How munch do you think they will give me for a slightly older model kidney? Also has relatively low mileage for its age.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Hmmm... well it says here you went more than 6 months or 5,000 miles without regularly scheduled maintenance so I'm afraid the warranty can't be honored. You can go down to Doug's Finance and Credit Dealership and get a fair price though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/874350295882530817

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Kill the poor, burn the sick, drown the old

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Major legislation having to be leaked out to the public. The way government is supposed to work! :911:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Major legislation having to be leaked out to the public. The way government is supposed to work! :911:

...the aide was being sarcastic, due to their annoyance at how tight mcconnell is keeping the bill

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Is there anyone I can follow on Twitter or whatever that is keeping a close eye on what's going on? I know that these evil fucks are keeping their AHCA version private, but is anyone trying to figure out how GOP senators are likely to vote? If Collins and Murkowski vote no due to the heavy Medicaid cuts and then Rand Paul votes no because it's not a full repeal, that's three right there. Or have they changed their minds in recent days? I'm really scared about this bill and it's hard to find this information on it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I love how snarky everyone in Washington is these days.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Queering Wheel posted:

Is there anyone I can follow on Twitter or whatever that is keeping a close eye on what's going on? I know that these evil fucks are keeping their AHCA version private, but is anyone trying to figure out how GOP senators are likely to vote? If Collins and Murkowski vote no due to the heavy Medicaid cuts and then Rand Paul votes no because it's not a full repeal, that's three right there. Or have they changed their minds in recent days? I'm really scared about this bill and it's hard to find this information on it.

The whole point is we plebs are meant to be kept in the dark until it is passed. Then it will be too late to protest, and the rather passive Republican voters will think "It's a done deal, gotta live with it. It might look like it fucks us over but we have to trust our representatives to have made a good deal for us in the long run."

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/reason-no-3567934-why-congressional-democrats-are.html

I hope this is just speculation because holy poo poo.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

"We can't resist because we don't want them to unify; besides, they're already unified"
:psyboom:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Democrats being a bunch of spineless losers who probably don't really give a poo poo about anything but giving their donors handjobs?

Naaaahhhhhhhhhhh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that article is dumb, as is anyone who gives it an ounce of credence

you can't stall the AHCA itself, because it has reconciliation protection, it can't be stalled once it's done (and the stalling won't delay any of the stuff getting it done)

the actual issue is a fairly simple one: will gumming up the Senate's work on non-AHCA stuff successfully refocus attention on what the senate is doing? the answer to that is probably just no, it will not. now, do you want to do that after the russia sanctions stuff and the sessions hearing (which is today)? yes, you probably do. is it worth blocking both of those useful things for a very minor chance that senate procedure becomes front page news? probably not. is it worth blocking, well, nothing useful to get a slight increase in news coverage? probably.

but the article is dumb and everyone who read it is dumber for having read it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

seriously, the author is dumb as poo poo and if your eyes don't roll into the back of your head reading it i dont know what to tell you

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really tired of people declaring that the problem is dems abiding by the rules and not that a huge portion of the electorate is actively evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

seriously, the author is dumb as poo poo and if your eyes don't roll into the back of your head reading it i dont know what to tell you

I can't stand to read anything written in that fashion anyways and I instantly discount any opinion the author may have.