Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bryan Colangelo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I feel like it's gonna be the T-wolves.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

RaySmuckles posted:

tonight the new model warriors are going to slaughter the King's cavaliers and end the NBA civil war.

the widely despised kevin durant will take over as lord protector of the league until his retirement whereupon his legacy will be dug up, tried, and beheaded for treason.

The fact that this actually happened in real life is so cool to me

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I feel like it's gonna be the T-wolves.

Yeah, I sorta do too. Depending on the deal this might be kinda nice to give them the 3/4 flexibility. Dunno where else they will spend the cap.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

NickRoweFillea posted:

EvanTH is already collecting a list of offensives to read out against the corpse.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ 🤠
     💯💯💯
    💯  💯 💯
   👇🏽  💯💯 👇🏽
     💯  💯
     💯  💯
      👢  👢

Where's that doggone Compression Sleeve Bandit

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rudy Gay to the pelicans to reunite with Boogie. Book it.

Or maybe Boog it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rudy Gay will replace Hayward in Utah

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Rudy Gay forms off-season Gay-Love pact, moves to Cleveland, replaces departing Lebron who joins the Spurs after reading a passionate tweet from Bashez.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That is a good risk for Rudy. So much cap money, so few players this offseason.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Go Cabbaliers

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

glad someone appreciated the post. i had fun writing it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fix is in

https://twitter.com/Mr_KevinJones/status/874310198155894784

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do y'all think that poo poo happens, the league fucks with poo poo in order to increase ratings/add more games/favor large market teams/rig the draft/whatever?

I personally don't.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He's not wrong.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dick Vabetta

edit: Oh poo poo Tim Donaghy is Tae!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Do y'all think that poo poo happens, the league fucks with poo poo in order to increase ratings/add more games/favor large market teams/rig the draft/whatever?

I personally don't.

i think there's nudging. they prep the refs by showing tape and saying "see this player doing this? we got to call it more often" sort of thing. i mean, they actually called illegal screens against the warriors games 3 and 4 (which looked like they had a lot of ref intervention and the threads commented on that).

plus, what else explains draymond green getting more leeway with his behavior toward the refs than anyone else ever?

i don't think outcomes are predetermined or that there's blatant game throwing or cheating.

but i do think that games are called differently and how they're called has an impact and can even be considered somewhat predictable

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think the NBA is more likely to want to correct things that benefit the team that's winning rather than trying to make things harder for a team that's behind. That results in longer series, but it's also human nature. I don't think the NBA is getting people together and saying "How should we make this go to 6 or 7 games".

At least now. When Stern was there that seems more likely.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

I'll donate to the EDF tomorrow when I'm back at home, by the way!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Good

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I have a question. Lebron's self-oop. How does that show up on the stat sheet? A missed shot and a board? An assist to himself?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

NickRoweFillea posted:

I have a question. Lebron's self-oop. How does that show up on the stat sheet? A missed shot and a board? An assist to himself?

It's recorded as a made shot and nothing else :\

9:11 Kevin Love defensive rebound 75 - 94
9:03 LeBron James makes dunk 75 - 96

RaySmuckles posted:

i think there's nudging.

I agree

plus I kinda love NBA Finals Ball with MarioKart-style bullshit rubberbanding so I think they're doing the right thing

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think on the broadcast they said missed shot + board and Mark Jackson had a problem with that.

Edit:

I was wrong.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I have a stat question too. When a shot misses and rebounds but goes way out to someone on the floor after a bounce, do they get credited with a rebound?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

He will replace Melo in New York and nobody will notice the difference.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

I have a stat question too. When a shot misses and rebounds but goes way out to someone on the floor after a bounce, do they get credited with a rebound?

yeah, that's one of the reasons steph gets so many. when you clank a 3 it tends to bounce far out, over the big guys, and out to the guards

(i think)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes. If the ball is tipped back the credit usually goes to the guy who tipped the ball out, not the guard who controlled it, but that is up to the scorers discretion.

If the ball goes out of bounds it's recorded as a team-rebound.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jack's Flow posted:

He will replace Melo in New York and nobody will notice the difference.

Haha little did you suspect I would actually not mind that swap. There's a huge difference between a replacement level player masquerading as an allstar and a replacement level player imagining he's a top 5 guy!

Did you guys know Melo's BPM was -0.7 last season? OBPM +1.5 DBPM -2.2. He's trash. He sucks. He's the worst contract in the NBA and that includes Chris Bosh.

Bigass Moth posted:

I believe (could be wrong here) that until the last few years or so whoever ultimately collected the ball got the rebound regardless of distance (out of bounds counts as a team rebound). They modified it slightly to attribute "Tyson Chandler Rebounds" to the player who deliberately tipped it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1AvLZZ2QE&t=5s

edit: oops I posted about Tyson Chandler and forgot to mention he's my favorite player.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 12, 2017

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

How much money is Rudy Gay going to get in free agency? Clearly more than 14 million but surely no team would offer him the max.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

How much money is Rudy Gay going to get in free agency? Clearly more than 14 million but surely no team would offer him the max.

He was injury prone before he tore his achilles. Now it'd be a miracle if he's anywhere near the same. I really hope nobody offers him a ton of money or they might end up very upset!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Haha little did you suspect I would actually not mind that swap. There's a huge difference between a replacement level player masquerading as an allstar and a replacement level player imagining he's a top 5 guy!

Did you guys know Melo's BPM was -0.7 last season? OBPM +1.5 DBPM -2.2. He's trash. He sucks. He's the worst contract in the NBA and that includes Chris Bosh.

Whiteside had a negative BPM too. Tony Parker had a negative BPM in 13-14 when he drove the best NBA Finals team I've ever seen in my entire life. A bunch of really good players have put up negative BPM seasons, it's actually not really that good of a stat to use in that context.

Melo is not a top tier player anymore, but he's far from replacement level.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

rudy is lucky he got injured on the Kings so nobody knows that it happened

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would say Rudy Gay is 100% the type of player the Bulls would be into, but they seem hellbent on just bringing back the exact same team as last year so they won't have any room for him. Oh well

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I'm gonna be shook as hell if Warriors lose in 7

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

E2M2 posted:

I'm gonna be shook as hell if Warriors lose in 7

What do you think we could get for a sign-and-trade of KD?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TildeATH posted:

What do you think we could get for a sign-and-trade of KD?

either kawhi or LeBron

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

man i forgot about this. kd is the fakest dude in sports and jesus christ thats a huge accomplishment the competition is fierce

Dexo posted:

Between the Cavs and Cubs last year we broke reality

Maybe if LBJ plays G5 wearing this:
https://twitter.com/uninterrupted/status/804809852413317120

EvanTH posted:

KD on tape watching the 2014 Finals in his own documentary (at 11:11 if the deep link doesn't work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8-zjpI2W0&t=671s

:lol:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick Barry yells at Rob Parker and calls him a fool:
https://sports.yahoo.com/rick-barry-calls-fs1-radio-host-loser-fool-hot-lebron-james-take-141141156.html

EvanTH posted:

I bet the numbers on open threes around the league are already vastly improved, but the overall improvement is masked by an increased defensive focus on the three. Open corner threes are now the tell-tale of bad defense. But I have no way of proving this. You will have to trust me. Do you trust me, Zogo?

Opponent 3P% has a .62 correlation with team DRtg this year so it seems that 3P defense is important.

I know 3P% would be higher years ago with these players as the defense wasn't there.

RaySmuckles posted:

seriously though, the gently caress does he have all that poo poo for?

NBA players can afford real, modern, legitimate tanks but they choose to buy these little dinky guns. It just doesn't make any sense!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0cG-xwDsYU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember back when the Kings were in the playoffs, Mark Cuban since some pissy email and tape to the league showing how C-Webb would always pick up or move his pivot foot. They whistled C-Webb for a violation and the camera cut to a small :smug: of Cuban sitting on the sidelines. A couple of plays down the court and they whistle the same call on Antoine Walker and the camera cut to Cuban with a big :smith: look on his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

a good 3 is like a 30% shot and playing The Right Way will give you guaranteed layups. 0.3 * 3 < 2, case closed

Overall, 3P shots have been more valuable than 2P shots since 1992.

zoux posted:

I personally don't.

Yes, tens of millions of dollars are at stake...in a single game.

EvanTH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Qxr1wdxbg
(this is a James Earl Jones reading of the transcript as no tapes exist, but their speaking voices were fairly similar)

Darth Vader: "I invoke the fifth amendment...LOUDLY."

• Locked thread