Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

buglord posted:

Really though like, are private health hearings common? Is it a partisan action to keep them private/public? What's the stated reasoning for keeping them private? Lack of obstruction?

Earnestly asking here.

They don't want the plebes to know what they are doing until it's too late to stop. They railed and railed against the ACA process, which had hundreds of hearings and the GOP was allowed to put in over 200 amendments to the bill. Now that the GOP is running the show, they suddenly don;t seem to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

CA Attorney General Xavier Becerra (and several other state AGs) are coming out strongly with the argument that only Congress can screw around with existing national monuments. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-monuments-20170608-story.html

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

Important bills go through a public committee process where people can debate and amend the bill. The hearings aren't even happening, not that they're happening in private. The reason is because this is going to be crazy unpopular and crazy bad and they want to shove it through before people can react.

Its also why they secretly sent it to the CBO. When the CBO announces how evil their bill is, they hope they can rush it to the floor and vote while yelling that the CBO is wrong before anyone has a chance to react.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skylined! posted:

iirc he can't, but he can ask sessions to

Oh God Trump is going to privately tell Sessions to fire Mueller or he's fired then fire Sessions publically for firing Mueller, isn't he. The biggest best bus-throwing ever.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My favorite "why is trump coy about the tapes" theory is that trump 100% had his big mouth leak a huge state secret about a way he knows there is tapes and now he's trapped not being able to admit in public that we secretly implant audio recording nanobots into government employees or that every iphone sends all ambient sound to the NSA or all the whitehouse wifi names are fake and are just a grid of microwaves to track mouth movement that AI can turn into speech to spy on visitors or whatever super crazy thing that trump burned accidently during a twitter pissing match.

I doubt it's anything so nefarious. It's probably uncut audio of Donald Trump, and while it's nothing illegal it probably would make for awful soundbites

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

evilweasel posted:

As Chuck Todd said, turning the existence of tapes that confirm one side's story in a criminal investigation into a game show is not exactly good crisis management. The Trump Administration wants the Russia story to go away.

Well, we're talking about the same dude who praised Sean Spicer for getting "good ratings," while completely ignoring the public's inherent fascination with watching a man die on live television on a weekly basis.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

As Chuck Todd said, turning the existence of tapes that confirm one side's story in a criminal investigation into a game show is not exactly good crisis management. The Trump Administration wants the Russia story to go away.

Well sure, but Trump's #1 goal in life seems to be for all eyes to be on him.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

evilmiera posted:

Every single time they released that info before it pissed everyone off royally. Like to the point it almost lead to physical violence in town hall meetings.

They know if they're open and honest with their poo poo they'll get it pushed in.
How do less wealthy conservatives feel about this? At the end of the day, you can vote the health and rights away from others, but you still have to protect yourself? Supporting a government that supports a bill that might kill you doesn't seem like self preservation. I'd imagine there's a lot of blind faith being put into the bill? I could understand this if conservatives were nonhuman and somehow immune from disease and disability, but they're just as biologically bound to mortality like everyone else, especially if they too are poor.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Charliegrs posted:

And killed 11,000 Africans but LOL who cares right? And one of those infected Africans actually made it to Texas and a few nurses got infected with it in a hospital in the states but nope it wasn't a big deal and I'm sure Trump would have handled it better.

Do we even have a director of the CDC right now?

We do not. The acting director is an Admiral in the health services who has been with CDC for decades.

The Health Services by the way, are in a perpetual fight with NOAA for the least remembered US uniformed service.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/874360791297912833

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

farraday posted:

The Health Services by the way, are in a perpetual fight with NOAA for the least remembered US uniformed service.

They're both winning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

Oh God Trump is going to privately tell Sessions to fire Mueller or he's fired then fire Sessions publically for firing Mueller, isn't he. The biggest best bus-throwing ever.

sessions will say "i recused myself but my good buddy rob rosenstein would be happy to either get fired or take the heat for that"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Important bills go through a public committee process where people can debate and amend the bill. The hearings aren't even happening, not that they're happening in private. The reason is because this is going to be crazy unpopular and crazy bad and they want to shove it through before people can react.

This is how big legislation is going to get passed from now on. It was actually pretty inevitable.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

buglord posted:

How do less wealthy conservatives feel about this? At the end of the day, you can vote the health and rights away from others, but you still have to protect yourself? Supporting a government that supports a bill that might kill you doesn't seem like self preservation. I'd imagine there's a lot of blind faith being put into the bill? I could understand this if conservatives were nonhuman and somehow immune from disease and disability, but they're just as biologically bound to mortality like everyone else, especially if they too are poor.

they won't get sick because they're Good People we live in a Just World and Everything Happens for a Reason and even if they die God Works in Mysterious Ways and also Heaven is for Real so there is no bad outcome possible

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

My current theory is that Trump can't remember whether he made recordings or not, and everyone else can't get a straight answer from him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

buglord posted:

If they can see "those people" burning then they're happy.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mister Mind posted:

CA Attorney General Xavier Becerra (and several other state AGs) are coming out strongly with the argument that only Congress can screw around with existing national monuments. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-monuments-20170608-story.html

Department of the Interior gets to decide how land is used in national parks, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

This is how big legislation is going to get passed from now on. It was actually pretty inevitable.

Democrats want their legislation to actually work, so a process that improves the bill is beneficial.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Democrats want their legislation to actually work, so a process that improves the bill is beneficial.

Actually the way they passed they ACA probably made the bill worse.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The ACA was also widely unpopular at the time of it's passage and for years after the fact.

Republicans can just cite that poo poo whenever this is brought up, so it's not the silver bullet I want it to be.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Department of the Interior gets to decide how land is used in national parks, though.

National Monuments aren't National Parks. Also the Interior department is restrained in how they manage and sell land by law. They can't just sell Yellowstone to Disney, for example.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

National Monuments aren't National Parks. Also the Interior department is restrained in how they manage and sell land by law. They can't just sell Yellowstone to Disney, for example.

Yeah, but they can decide that... truck muddin' is now okay in this part of the monument, etc.

Sort of like how they say grazing is a-ok on these public lands for X dates or w/e.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The ACA was also widely unpopular at the time of it's passage and for years after the fact.

Republicans can just cite that poo poo whenever this is brought up, so it's not the silver bullet I want it to be.

Then ask them why they want to repeal a law that has such broad popular support.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

Then ask them why they want to repeal a law that has such broad popular support.

You and I know why. They think they know better than the low information voters. You know, the same type of capital elitism they accused the Democrats of for the last 8 loving years.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ouch.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Oracle posted:

That seems a shade too clever for Trump. He'd publicly tweet at Sessions to fire Mueller, fire Sessions for firing Mueller while claiming he never made the first tweet, then tweet again to brag about how firing Mueller was his idea.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/874362882921811968
Remember when you had a president that could speak knowledgeably about policy? Good times

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, but they can decide that... truck muddin' is now okay in this part of the monument, etc.

Sort of like how they say grazing is a-ok on these public lands for X dates or w/e.

They can't just decide that willy-nilly, no. It depends on the land classification. Land owned by BLM or USFS in public trust isn't the same as a national monument or a federal wilderness area or etc. The rules on what activities the surface management agency can/must allow varies depending on those land classifications.

For example, if I find gold in a National Forest, the USFS must allow me to mine it. If I find gold in a National Park or National Monument, the NPS or other SMA would have to jump through a bunch of legal hoops with me to allow me to mine. A vastly different proposition for operators.

The whole point of declaring these areas National Monuments instead of just being land owned by the BLM/USFS is explicitly to reduce the regulatory scope for commercial activity on those lands. The intent was to tie the hands of the BLM and USFS to prevent them from being allowed/forced into permitting economic activity in those areas.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

awesmoe posted:

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/874362882921811968
Remember when you had a president that could speak knowledgeably about policy? Good times

Obama having press conferences about the bill didn't make it better though. And it didn't help sell it to the public either.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

They can't just decide that willy-nilly, no. It depends on the land classification. Land owned by BLM or USFS in public trust isn't the same as a national monument or a federal wilderness area or etc. The rules on what activities the surface management agency can/must allow varies depending on those land classifications.

For example, if I find gold in a National Forest, the USFS must allow me to mine it. If I find gold in a National Park or National Monument, the NPS or other SMA would have to jump through a bunch of legal hoops with me to allow me to mine. A vastly different proposition for operators.

The whole point of declaring these areas National Monuments instead of just being land owned by the BLM/USFS is explicitly to reduce the regulatory scope for commercial activity on those lands. The intent was to tie the hands of the BLM and USFS to prevent them from being allowed/forced into permitting economic activity in those areas.

Cool, these are things I hadn't considered, thanks for the info.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

awesmoe posted:

Remember when you had a president that could speak knowledgeably about policy coherently? Good times

FTFY

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Creeping fascism update:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeneps/status/874362612015910912

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Is that a toad or rat burger?

Cow pie.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My current theory is that Trump can't remember whether he made recordings or not, and everyone else can't get a straight answer from him.

It's supposed to be reference to Trump's claim the Obama administration and the DOJ were wiretapping him. Except nobody takes that poo poo seriously, but after Watergate everybody takes the concept of the President recording all his meetings seriously. It's a hilarious self own that only an idiotic and unprepared administration would fall into.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 12, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/874364202957369344

No tapes, just threats

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

God drat, even Bush qualifies here, and that's scary as gently caress.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Which led to massive GOP gains in the House and Senate; if we get a mirror of 2010 in 2018 then maybe things will be ok!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Typical liberals who think you can reason with a Völkischer Beobachter reporter.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ironically, this works out better for Trump because it keeps Comey's testimony in the "he said/he said" category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Again: That's actually way more 'inappropriate' than I'd expect from the modern GOP.

• Locked thread