Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Stop using melee as an opener. Melee is for flanking and cleaning up stragglers. You can hide melee fighters in boxes where enemies will take cover, and then release them on unsuspecting sniper/bow users to devastating effect. Also great for blocking the only exit out of a choke point when the enemy is in retreat mode. :black101:

Alternatively, ALWAYS use melee, just construct choke points so that invaders have to come into an area one at a time but can be dogpiled by many melee artists. If you use Medieval Times (and you really should anyway because it adds so much interesting poo poo) there's a Caltrops ground defense that just slows down movement a lot, this is really helpful but even without it you can still mash pretty much all invaders this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Finally getting around to playing around with the cult mod stuff in A17.

This... is new :stare:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i bought an ingame name that I thought would show up in the new beta but it hasn't- guess tynan is holding off until release on those

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I hope A18 beta branch is made available soon.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I hope A18 beta branch is made available soon.

Is A18 expected quicker or normal? I thought there were usually months before updates.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm doing my first tribal start and I can't get my drat animals to stay inside the walls, both raids have ended up with a dumb dog engaging the dude outside the base. Have only lost tails and a leg thus far, but they certainly don't respect the animal zone I assigned them to. Any advice? I'd love to use them in combat but not if they are going to go outside the walls or wander in front of the bows.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
could you post the image of the zone you assigned them to and the way you assigned them? i've assigned literally hundreds of animals to specific zones and never once had a situation where they do not respect the zone.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Could it be assigned to follow someone?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

This is how i have the animal zone set up for them, but they wander out the SE door when I get the corridor of death set up for a raid. So should I unassign masters before a raid, or maybe just keep them assigned to melee characters?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
double check to make sure the animals have 'follow master when drafted' set to off. i think they have that off by default now but it's worth looking. if you're really paranoid also uncheck 'follow master when working outdoors' set to off.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

bird food bathtub posted:

The most damaging thing a pet can be is fast with lots of toughness or HP or armor or whatever this game uses to stay alive. Never underestimate the value of a few pets suicidally charging into the middle of a pack of raiders and letting them all friendly fire each other to death.

I thought this was fixed at least mostly with the AI targeting update. C/D?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Devdisigdu posted:

Finally getting around to playing around with the cult mod stuff in A17.

This... is new :stare:

Oh poo poo you can go full Psionic Warrior :stare:

Relatedly my very first raided in my current game ended when the single raider, who I was waiting for around my cluster of buildings, diverted to steal my spooky cult obelisk that I hadn't brought in from the field it spawned in yet. He just carried the bastard thing away!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Is A18 expected quicker or normal? I thought there were usually months before updates.

Normally yes, but Tynan hired another dude so who knows?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I love rimwolrd with one caveat, pawn chore priorities. is there a mod that is SMART about assigning priorities and jobs without needing to micromanage ,and then do it all over again if i get a new pawn?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

so for mods i'm looking for a few thingss

- enhanced surgery mods. I do NOT mean more realism, but I've never seen it in the base game, if there's a mod that lets me implant a cyborg brain into a patient i want in.

Red alert 2 style Yuri tech that lets me build a tower that lets me target enemy invaders, causing some to kill, become loyal, or otherwise go insane.

mods that expand on the concept of cybernetics, turrets and security, etc.

i don't want to post a big long laundry list of a wish-list so if some of these descriptions remember whats on the market, any kind soul willing to point me int he right direction would be nice. I've already been looking on steam for 45 minues and keen to resume playing.

my favorite so far is letting me use dead-man's clothes, but i would rather have a mod that lets me clean or ritually cleanse them..

religious social mods as well.

Anything at home in a cyberpunk novel or science fantasy i''m interested. Even magic maybe?

Also looking for good guides for getting into rimworld modding if anyone has some good resources.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Chicken had a wild night.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Cult mod looks pretty fun. It'd be nice to have a reason to make a room ridiculously opulent. I tried the call of cthulhu mod but it didn't really do much for me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm drat bored and decided to stream this game for whatever reason. if some of you people like smashing your heads against your keyboard as you make bad decisions. I'll take votes for starting conditions as time permits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?iptik?live

if anyone wants to play by comittee some time aorund 6pm central time (US of course) i'm down, but tongiht i was figitng sleep violently basically by the time i got the software running. have a nice night/day yall

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 11, 2017

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
the whole pawn work system is incredibly tedious imo. id love a mod for it that lets me save preset 'worker' profiles instead of having to do it each game for each pawn

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Shadowlz posted:

Chicken had a wild night.

I envy that chicken.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Blazing Zero posted:

the whole pawn work system is incredibly tedious imo. id love a mod for it that lets me save preset 'worker' profiles instead of having to do it each game for each pawn

You sort of do with judicious use of copy-paste. At least then you only have to set them up once per game.

Speaking of, has anyone noticed greatly increased hauling by pets? They must have tweaked it at some point because my dire wolf is hella useful now!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 11, 2017

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Update on my colony: Ghostface the rhino has been re-tamed after selling him and having him show up, and now my pacifist system-class animals master has a gang of animals to sic on anyone who wrongs him - in a totally peaceful way, of course. Also returning to my colony is Mohave, the boomrat! Who would have thought a system-class animals master would have a 9% chance of taming a boomrat.

The bar is almost finished, until I get that extra joy objects mod. I'm a bit wary of any mods after trying to install the Simple Sidearms and RBSE mods and having my game glitch out. I think I'll hold off until my next colony for those. I'm a little disappointed that there are no mods that add in a bartender job, although there are a bunch of posts asking for one. It would be nice to have a use for someone with a lot of social skills. I guess I can't complain since I don't know how to make one myself. I think this might be my first colony to make a spaceship!

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I want to do a nomad run again for the new update, but apparently herbivores eat your caravan rations now? I don't see any how eight colonists and two dogs would burn through 6000+ pemmican in less than a day otherwise. This is going to be so much harder :negative:

Edit: Wait no, I just tried ditching my pack animals and it was the same. I guess it's just pemmican really sucks?

tudabee fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 11, 2017

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Edit:oops

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Toadsmash posted:

I envy that chicken.

She got liver disease so I put her of her misery.

I'm not sure how she even got the bottles open.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Twelve days old and burning the candle at both end.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

endolithic posted:

I want to do a nomad run again for the new update, but apparently herbivores eat your caravan rations now? I don't see any how eight colonists and two dogs would burn through 6000+ pemmican in less than a day otherwise. This is going to be so much harder :negative:

Edit: Wait no, I just tried ditching my pack animals and it was the same. I guess it's just pemmican really sucks?

That's a remarkably high rate, something sounds super wrong.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Had to look up how job priorities are handled and it reads left to right and does all the 1's then it reads again for 2's etc. I hadnt really seen this posted here so sorry if its been said but understanding how it works made the game way easier for me. What i cant find is how the hauling code works. Does anyone have any idea how it works. Like their priorities for what they decide needs to be hauled and in what order, do they factor deteriorating stuff, distance etc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DogonCrook posted:

Had to look up how job priorities are handled and it reads left to right and does all the 1's then it reads again for 2's etc. I hadnt really seen this posted here so sorry if its been said but understanding how it works made the game way easier for me. What i cant find is how the hauling code works. Does anyone have any idea how it works. Like their priorities for what they decide needs to be hauled and in what order, do they factor deteriorating stuff, distance etc.

Unless it's been overhauled for A17, it seems to be entirely distance based.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As far as I can tell, they haul what is closest first regardless of what it is.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Thanks. Honestly its the one job that i can never seem to find a good balance on and have to micro the most. Yhey either make to many trips when it would take way less time to wait for a stack. Its also super annoying when they sit down to make joints or whatever if they have a hauling priority higher than crafting. Im not sure how much they can improve it but it woukd be awesome if they at least gave priority to perishables and critical items or give us away to tag things as important or low priority. im sorta on the fence about how much control the stock game should have because it is definitely part of the charm that you cant really make them do things but there are times where its literally suicide if they dont go pick up x and even a lazy rear end in a top hat would go do it rather than die.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Volmarias posted:

That's a remarkably high rate, something sounds super wrong.

I think I figured it out, actually -- one of those dogs was a warg, which I thought could eat pemmican (it's got meat in it, c'mon) but apparently not as they were starving by the time my trip ended with buttloads of pemmican to spare. Every one else was just fine. v:v:v

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Honestly the pawns being stupid gets more annoying the more I play. This is probably because after one learns the basics and understands the various events to prepare for, Rimworld becomes a game of tedious micromanagement. I spend around 90% of my time checking what each pawn is doing and most likely overriding it with something more sensible, or revising the numbered rankings of their priorities... until I have to revise them again 5 minutes later.

Then there is also other dumb stuff that should be default behavior but isn't. For instance it drives me bonkers that they don't haul some of the steel they just mined with them when they are going back to base to rest. That is something I constantly have to monitor because it's a huge waste of time when they don't do it. The lack of an option for non-drafted pawns to automatically remain in the home area during raids or manhunter pack attacks also results in lots of micro (not to mention reloading).

I can't tell if all this is because Tynan wants/expects modders to deal with that stuff, or if he just isn't a very good programmer. I looked at the careers page on Ludeon and the job posting there (written by him) sounds cocky/arrogant as hell, so it's probably the latter. I guess I'll find out when I get around to decompiling the game files and reading the code.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just thought you guys should know, dogs are super super good fuel for fires. I had a dumbass dog walk through a fire, run around in circles, and then almost burn to death in a rainstorm. Like the rain wasn't doing poo poo to that dogfire. Also theres no way to make a dog not on fire unless they're downed, which means everything around that dog will also soon be on fire.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Shadowlz posted:

She got liver disease so I put her of her misery.

I'm not sure how she even got the bottles open.
Yum, drunken chicken is delicious

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A Moose posted:

Just thought you guys should know, dogs are super super good fuel for fires. I had a dumbass dog walk through a fire, run around in circles, and then almost burn to death in a rainstorm. Like the rain wasn't doing poo poo to that dogfire. Also theres no way to make a dog not on fire unless they're downed, which means everything around that dog will also soon be on fire.

I had a chicken stand a little to close to a segment of cabling that went Zzzzt!

That's how I found out the little fucker was dipping into my forbidden ambrosia stash on the sly and had developed a massive tolerance. I let it burn just out of spite.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I've gone so far as to make remote roofed stockpiles out of the random ruins to collect nearby harvests and trees so haulers don't just run one handful all the way back. Usually halfway between me and the collection area if possible.

The micro gets less horrible as you get more pawns, or at least individual stupidity is less of a problem, but yeah, managing tasks is pretty much the whole game and it can get tedious sometimes.

Carrying one handful back from a harvesting run seems really useful and you'd think since hunters can do it others could. Assigning pawns to zones is pretty easy, but it would be nice to have a default "when threat is announced, go inside" behavior, I agree. There is a "flee when approached" default behavior, so my guess is it would make encounters unnecessarily easier to avoid and you miss out on a bit of "fun" storytelling...Olivia was of chopping wood so didn't hear the alarm about the angry beaver on the other side of the base and got caught in the open.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 12, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

JUST LET THE POOR THING DIE

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

As far as I can tell, they haul what is closest first regardless of what it is.

I use both of these. One changes work priorities (including hauling priorities) and the other lets you slap a designator on things you want hauled ASAP.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774989162
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933645080

I've wanted a mod to have miners/choppers haul a load on their return to base for a long time, but have yet to see one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Songbearer posted:

JUST LET THE POOR THING DIE

A fucker that tough deserves to be rescued and A Dog Said-ed into a crazy cybercatte.