Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Robbie Lawler and a bunch of other fighters have attributed much of their success to cutting back on sparring. Anecdotal evidence, but I'm gonna guess getting punched in the head less is good for you, especially if you're at somewhere like AKA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

This argument is taking place in the boxing thread rn and its inconclusive.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483721&pagenumber=19

Interesting stuff, thanks for the link

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think football is more damaging to a persons brain than boxing/MMA, but punchsports still carry the risk of concussion. Unfortunately the people studying it don't know why some football players will have swiss cheese brains while some with near identical careers and head trauma will look completely normal.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JaySB posted:

It still kinda amazes me that the UFC Heavyweight division is a thing. Basically every single one of them could have chosen to say, play professional football for 500x the money.

Brock Lesnar, probably the best physical talent the division has ever seen, couldn't make it onto an NFL team.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The countless rounds of sparring are probably worse for fighters brains, overall, than the punches they take in fights. That more closely resembles what happens to linemen in football, who generally don't take the really brutal hits to the head, but still seem to have massive brain problems later in life.

Concussions and getting knocked out aren't the only contributing factor to CTE. They may not even be the most important ones.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Brock Lesnar, probably the best physical talent the division has ever seen, couldn't make it onto an NFL team.

Brendan Schaub is just sitting there like :smug:

I'm not saying that any of the current UFC Heavyweights could hack it in the NFL. It just puzzles me that they choose to dedicate their lives to the lowest paying of the contact sports. There's a reason we haven't seen a great heavyweight boxer for a long time. These guys all decided they could try to make it to the NFL or NBA.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

JaySB posted:

I'm not saying that any of the current UFC Heavyweights could hack it in the NFL. It just puzzles me that they choose to dedicate their lives to the lowest paying of the contact sports.

They..... like it?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

JaySB posted:

I'm not saying that any of the current UFC Heavyweights could hack it in the NFL. It just puzzles me that they choose to dedicate their lives to the lowest paying of the contact sports. There's a reason we haven't seen a great heavyweight boxer for a long time. These guys all decided they could try to make it to the NFL or NBA.

take a look at derrick lewis going to town on some ribs pre-fight and tell me that he's "dedicated" his life to MMA.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I'm pretty sure he had never actually played organized football before either, so the fact that he almost walked on to a NFL team is pretty nuts.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Brock has certainly done enough steroids to be in the NFL.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

JaySB posted:

they do it for the lulz

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

canoshiz posted:

I'm pretty sure he had never actually played organized football before either, so the fact that he almost walked on to a NFL team is pretty nuts.

Stephen Neal beat Brock Lesnar in college wrestling then went on to play 9 seasons with the Patriots, winning a few super bowls in the process, despite not playing football on college.

However...that's not a normal thing and playing NFL or even high level collegiate football is really hard and it implying that any heavyweight could have just played another sport and made more money is really silly.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

canoshiz posted:

my point was that there's a lot of skill other than being big strong and fast and that not everyone big strong and fast can play football

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

canoshiz posted:

He played in high school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Offensive lineman is basically wrestling anyways which is part of why Neal was so loving good at it.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
mma fans dont know poo poo about football

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Brock Lesnar immediantly made it onto a nfl team by saying he'd like to be on a NFL team, as a 30 something man who hadn't played football in over a decade, then chose to quit and do MMA because they wouldn't make him a starter.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Then he was UFC champion 4 fights later.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

It just puzzles me that they choose to dedicate their lives to the lowest paying of the contact sports. There's a reason we haven't seen a great heavyweight boxer for a long time. These guys all decided they could try to make it to the NFL or NBA.

Fighting is fun, its not a chore. Plenty of people do it purely for entertainment and don't ever want to become competitive.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

frankly its not that easy to switch from 1 sport to another even if you happen to be good at both. because you will be competing with people whove done the sport since they were children. additionally maybe someone would rather make a career in the sport that pays less but they happen to enjoy more. you die at the end of your life anyway so theres no point doing a job that you hate

It really really really depends on the sport. Some sports are relatively easy to transfer into at an elite level and don't require an awful lot of sport specific training and rather require you to be strong, fast, and/or powerful (bobsled from sprinting/football/etc, powerlifting from gymnastics/football/shot put etc). There are positions in football that have lower barrier to entries skill wise and you can get to at or around the elite level if you are just an extravagantly burly boy

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Iirc he got an NFL Europe offer despite not having much football experience

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Another good example is Clara Hughes, who rode the bike and won Olympic medals. This led to her having the sport specific skill of "giant quads" and she started speed skating and used somehow transfered this intangible skill into winning gold medals in speed skating.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Ex UFC fighter turned elctro pop dancer has got a pretty big brand deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRaMP4QPwU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

Brock Lesnar immediantly made it onto a nfl team by saying he'd like to be on a NFL team, as a 30 something man who hadn't played football in over a decade, then chose to quit and do MMA because they wouldn't make him a starter.

Hard to believe a man would pass on a chance to play for the prestigious NFL Europe Vikings.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

If you're born into a large body, you're given a choice: become a Football lineman, an MMA heavyweight fighter or an Enterprise Rent-A-Car Account Executive III

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Another good example is Clara Hughes, who rode the bike and won Olympic medals. This led to her having the sport specific skill of "giant quads" and she started speed skating and used somehow transfered this intangible skill into winning gold medals in speed skating.

thats not such a good example because track cycling, time trialling and speed skating are extremely similar in a lot more ways than just requiring bigass quads+glutes, even the tactical nuances of one sport are relevant to the other, theyre raced in very similar ways and the logistics of speed skating mean a lot of their training is done on a bike anyway. theres a long history of athletes switching successfully between the two. not to mention shes a singular talent in a sea of lesser talent and hardly a case study of how easy it is for the average professional athlete to go from 1 world class discipline to another. its not so easily done at the professional level. maybe at the high school level

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

big money big clit posted:

Hard to believe a man would pass on a chance to play for the prestigious NFL Europe Vikings.

He was on the Vikings my dude.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

He was on the Vikings my dude.

He was on the Vikings for like two pre-season games and then got cut and offered a shot in NFL Europe.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Fighting is fun, its not a chore. Plenty of people do it purely for entertainment and don't ever want to become competitive.

Yes, I get that. However, we are discussing people choosing it as their profession not for their leisure activity.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mayweather promotions just reserved the MGM Grand for August 26th

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

willie_dee posted:

Ex UFC fighter turned elctro pop dancer has got a pretty big brand deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRaMP4QPwU

It looks like they just showed up and robbed an unattended watch store.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

thats not such a good example because track cycling, time trialling and speed skating are extremely similar in a lot more ways than just requiring bigass quads+glutes, even the tactical nuances of one sport are relevant to the other, theyre raced in very similar ways and the logistics of speed skating mean a lot of their training is done on a bike anyway. theres a long history of athletes switching successfully between the two. not to mention shes a singular talent in a sea of lesser talent and hardly a case study of how easy it is for the average professional athlete to go from 1 world class discipline to another. its not so easily done at the professional level. maybe at the high school level

Yeah I only thought of Clara because I was really thinking of bobsled and powerlifting where an enormous part is bigass asses. I'm just saying that there is a lot of sports that are transferable to other sports at near-elite and elite levels. Obviously it's not happening every day and the herschel walkers are stupendous athletes. But there are people who have low level professional success at sports that they haven't done enormous amounts of sport specific training for just because there is a large overlap in required skills and training protocols

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i don't know how much of what i was told is under nda but the nfl are putting money into making a new kind of helmet that will let 300lb men run into each other head first more than ever before, it's really cool and also a bad idea

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Rigel posted:

Mayweather promotions just reserved the MGM Grand for August 26th

Oh poo poo

businessinsider.com/two-developments-in-the-floyd-mayweather-v-conor-mcgregor-saga-suggest-a-fight-announcement-is-imminent-2017-6

don't click that, you need to disable ad block :mad:

quote:

In the space of 24 hours, there have been two big developments:

First, Mayweather's company, Mayweather Promotions, reserved the MGM Grand Garden Arena for a "boxing event" in August.
Second, McGregor has teased fans with a big announcement in the coming days.

The unprecedented coming together has been teased for months, but things have been moving forward in recent weeks.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i absolutely don't give a poo poo about that fight but if it happens then i'm happy both those guys can stave off bankruptcy for another 6 months after the end of their careers

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i absolutely don't give a poo poo about that fight but if it happens then i'm happy both those guys can stave off bankruptcy for another 6 months after the end of their careers

lol

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Same

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Are you guys excited to see Roy Jones Jr. fight Floyd Mayweather on Butterbean's shoulders like that Frankenstein/Flea Man boss for Castlevania on Nintendo?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
is butterbean still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

kensei posted:

Oh poo poo

businessinsider.com/two-developments-in-the-floyd-mayweather-v-conor-mcgregor-saga-suggest-a-fight-announcement-is-imminent-2017-6

don't click that, you need to disable ad block :mad:

Kill my dead rear end.

• Locked thread