Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That was really badass. Armin turning into a psychological monster was cool. Erwin is a badass, Mikasa was ruthless as always. I'm kind of annoyed with Historia though. Oh, and titan projectiles were terrifying and hilarious.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Here is a storytelling device that your brain has picked up on by now, but you might not have fully grasped it yet. Becomes something to talk about with the reveal of Reiner and Berthold. Eren, Mikasa, Armin are each an independent aspect of humanity and can't live without one another. Each represent the Soul, Body, Mind. Eren is the spirit. The other two can survive without him but won't have goals or really be alive. Mikasa as the body that protects the spirit and mind. Armin as the very obvious mind who solves problems and philosophizes. The infiltrator trio of Reiner, Berthold, Annie....embody the very same aspects just in a different way. If you look close enough, this motif goes throughout the entire story. The three walls. The three military branches....

I never thought about it like this, but it makes sense. Especially after this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Not sure who's supposed to be the Soul, Body or Mind out of Reiner, Bert and Annie.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 10, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The charge was everything I wanted, loved it.

Also been waiting to see insanely bad rear end Erwin animated for years and it did not disappoint either.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I liked everything that happened in this episode.

Nephthys posted:

Not sure who's supposed to be the Soul, Body or Mind out of Reiner, Bert and Annie.

Or the walls. Maybe the outer wall is the mind? Only the spirit and body are carrying on? Couldn't even guess with the military branches.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Here is a storytelling device that your brain has picked up on by now, but you might not have fully grasped it yet. Becomes something to talk about with the reveal of Reiner and Berthold. Eren, Mikasa, Armin are each an independent aspect of humanity and can't live without one another. Each represent the Soul, Body, Mind. Eren is the spirit. The other two can survive without him but won't have goals or really be alive. Mikasa as the body that protects the spirit and mind. Armin as the very obvious mind who solves problems and philosophizes. The infiltrator trio of Reiner, Berthold, Annie....embody the very same aspects just in a different way. If you look close enough, this motif goes throughout the entire story. The three walls. The three military branches....

A triad at the center is nothing new and a media standard. Id/ ego/superego, Shinji/Rei/Asuka, Kirk/Spock/McCoy, etc.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe this was naive of me but I genuinely was not expecting the titan that killed Eren's mother to show up again. There's nothing in the logic of the story that rules it out, of course--we've already been told titans basically live forever unless someone carves them up. But their vendetta was never framed as a hatred for one specific titan. Why make that callback now? It also didn't seem like one of the intelligent mutants either, so I can't imagine Eren and Mikasa having trouble killing it. (Unless it turns out to be Sasha or something.) I dunno, just seems sort of anti-climatic? Unless that's the point, I suppose.

Still a hell of an episode though. Every time these saps clash with the titans I find myself wincing.

also, jfc Armin what the hell

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Rangpur posted:

It also didn't seem like one of the intelligent mutants either, so I can't imagine Eren and Mikasa having trouble killing it.

Well, several of Mikasa's bones are broken, and Eren is in no condition to fight, let alone the fact that he doesn't have any 3DMG. They're stuck in a very similar situation as they were when they were kids.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I concede the point. I'm too used to straightforward shonen where having multiple broken bones just gets you more fired up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Getting more fired up just gets you kidnapped / makes you lose limbs / straight up kills you in this series so far, so i'm not sure why you thought it would somehow work after like twenty episodes of it not working

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This entire series is all about saying that shonen power will not save you from very obvious losses and deaths.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the titan that ate eren's mom is honestly one of my favorite designs in this whole series. i love seeing it again just for that.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ninjewtsu posted:

the titan that ate eren's mom is honestly one of my favorite designs in this whole series. i love seeing it again just for that.

wait erens mom was eaten by a titan? now i know why he's so angry!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lamebot posted:

wait erens mom was eaten by a titan? now i know why he's so angry!

I can't tell if you're joking or not but that happened in the first episode

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

lol that erwin actually said "shinzou sasageyo"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the bit where Christa was like "Why the gently caress did you eat me?" and the response was basically "Nobody's perfect".

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
It honestly might be my favorite exchange in the series: "!? Yeah, I wouldn't expect titans to say anything like that! They'd be too busy trying to eat me!!" "Every--everyone has a fault or two, right!? If you can just ignore that bit, they aren't so bad!"

There are a lot of top contenders, though.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I liked the bit where Christa was like "Why the gently caress did you eat me?" and the response was basically "Nobody's perfect".

More like Titans are friendly enough once you get over the whole people-eating thing!

E;fb

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm still waiting for Armin or Hange to realize that all titans are/were people. Please tell me it's going to be a ~big reveal~ before they end the season, they can't think the audience hasn't figured it out by now.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

I'm still waiting for Armin or Hange to realize that all titans are/were people. Please tell me it's going to be a ~big reveal~ before they end the season, they can't think the audience hasn't figured it out by now.

Like they already kind of did, when they showed ymir getting pushed off the wall

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Annointed posted:

This entire series is all about saying that shonen power will not save you from very obvious losses and deaths.

Eren only has the "guts" part out of the "friendship, hard work, guts" trinity

I mean he has friendship but he's not exactly an ace at coordinating with others

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Eren only has the "guts" part out of the "friendship, hard work, guts" trinity

I mean he has friendship but he's not exactly an ace at coordinating with others

Eren has friends, he did work hard as shown of him trying to stay upright with broken 3dmg and guts because raeg. That still doesn't mean a drat thing against opponents that way more skilled and powerful than him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
We're past the point I read up to, I can speculate now. :yayclod:

I don't actually have anything useful to contribute, the only thing I was going to make guesses about was Ymir's background and origin, then I stopped myself because I wasn't sure I hadn't read that stuff, and then the show covered it anyways. But I look forward to having no idea what's going on.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Any and all questions about Attack on Titan you may have will be answered in full next week, in the last episode :frogbon:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not but that happened in the first episode

They've also shown flashbacks constantly. Almost every time Eren sees a titan, he thinks of his mom being eaten.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Like they already kind of did, when they showed ymir getting pushed off the wall

You're right, and I made the extrapolation back in season 1, but no one inside the walls seems to have made the connection. Considering that we saw Connie's mom, I'm still expecting something bigger to come out.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Maera Sior posted:

You're right, and I made the extrapolation back in season 1, but no one inside the walls seems to have made the connection. Considering that we saw Connie's mom, I'm still expecting something bigger to come out.

Don't forget episode 10 where the soldiers sent by Hange to investigate compared the titan with a portrait of Connie's mom.

They haven't had the time to put everything together due to dealing with Eren's kidnapping, but the pieces are all there for the Survey Corps to come to conclusions similar to the audience's.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Maera Sior posted:

That was actually a later thing, but they yanked it from much further down the line and put it in this season.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 11, 2017

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I just realized that one reason why Reiner couldn't read the can but Ymir could is if it was printed in an older version of the language, or if she was from a different city that wrote in another version of the language.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Invictus posted:

That was actually a later thing, but they yanked it from much further down the line and put it in this season.

Wrong. Hange putting the pieces together is the epilogue to the story arc in the manga, too.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Reiner is the soul, Berthold is the body, Annie is the mind. Just remember they're similar, but a bit different.

Like Berthold for instance obviously embodies the body with his huge titan and actual height, and cares a lot about Reiner and Annie. Reiner heard Armin's ploy, but he didn't freak out like Berthold did. Kinda like how Mikasa freaked out with Eren being in his captivity. Mikasa devotes herself to Eren and Armin. Berthold laid it out this latest episode he's devoting himself to the mission.

The motif with the 3 branches of the military. You have the survey corps who are the spirit. They have this sweeping and heroic mission that embodies the core of humanity and its desire for freedom. You have the garrison as the body, it's the bulk of the military and it's mission is to protect humanity inside the walls. Then you have military police who embody the mind, but we'll talk about that some other time.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Nah. I'm still in the camp of Triforce. It's Courage, Power, and Wisdom. But I'm willing to concede that Courage is Soul, Power is Body, and Wisdom is Mind.

Hey hope ya'll are ready for some bombass bigass gifs!

Edit: There were 12 gifs I made thanks to this crazy rear end episode. I love this season so much. Problem is, I don't wanna gently caress the thread up, so I'll link some and embed others.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 12, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You could make an imgur album with them in it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Man have you thought about how this character, like, represents the id and this character is the superego? It's really deep. Better put it in spoilers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

In no particular order. I have no idea why I can't get .gifv to embed right now so the largest ones are hidden inside the album. In other words, click the album to see the coolest ones maybe?
Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/mlPFi

And extended version:
http://i.imgur.com/tEufQby.gifv
Which reminds me of this classic:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 12, 2017

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
So I guess Erwin is probably a titan shifter, considering losing his arm didn't seem to do too much to him and usually this show is more realistic when it comes to human injuries.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I mean, losing an arm isn't exactly a death sentence in real life either, if you manage to staunch the blood in a reasonable time frame

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
You can see when he shows up later that he applied a tourniquet at least.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can't really operate 3DMG one-handed, so he's pretty much off the front lines for good from now on. He might stay in command, but he's probably not going to move out on missions anymore. Not much do to for a shifter, away from all the action.
Then again, we don't know what Annie was doing at the MP either, far away from all titans and conflict (or how she managed to slip out of the walls for the scouting mission).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Surprisingly Dope posted:

So I guess Erwin is probably a titan shifter, considering losing his arm didn't seem to do too much to him and usually this show is more realistic when it comes to human injuries.

He's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

HenryEx posted:

You can't really operate 3DMG one-handed, so he's pretty much off the front lines for good from now on. He might stay in command, but he's probably not going to move out on missions anymore. Not much do to for a shifter, away from all the action.
Then again, we don't know what Annie was doing at the MP either, far away from all titans and conflict (or how she managed to slip out of the walls for the scouting mission).

Given how crooked the MPs were established to be, it probably wasn't that hard to slip out.

• Locked thread