Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MMF Freeway posted:

To me AoE2 is just a straight upgrade from AoE1 anyways, the hd version of which already owns, and those new 3d graphics look pretty bland. Wololo though...

Also agreed. I grew up on AoE1, and soon after AoE2. 2 really just does everything 1 does and blew it away. Much better campaign, more diversity to nations, better graphics/sound, more fun buildings+units (tho i did like Carthaginians)

it does lack baby with a shotgun on a tricycle tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mordja posted:

My heretical thought for the day is that I never much cared for AOE. I've always been more of a C&C and TA guy.

TA was a groundbreaking game that was a decade ahead of its time and still manages to be better than its "spiritual successors" released decades later. So yeah, all hail Cavedog

But AOE was still pretty fun. I like having shooty-man RTS games and stabby-man RTS games

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean that's the part of Black Flag I wanted MP for, AC MP is garbage because they refused to crack down on running around like an idiot being viable.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Xaris posted:

Excuse me, not a hard time, it exists and is called Hollow Knight :colbert: (but it's not on sale and Ori is still extremely good and one of the best. tbf its more like six of one or half dozen of the other deal)

True, I'd still let Ori have prettiest but Hollow Knight has been more engrossing for me.

Rebel Blob posted:

I'm fairly sure this isn't going to improve your opinion of the game, but hell, I'll probably get another chance to talk about A New Beginning. Some bits of it are slightly more clever than initial appearances, though I still wouldn't call it a good adventure game by any means. Turns out Faye is a textbook unreliable narrator and many of the things that don't make sense are because of her mixed-up story. There is no single apocalyptic environmental disaster in the original timeline that lead to the Earth being uninhabitable, just the accumulation of generations of inaction on climate change. For example, the disastrous first trip into the past was to 2500, not 2050, she lied to make things more urgent and centered on a single disaster. Her time-traveler team is on a mission to cause the Amazonian nuclear plant to catastrophically melt down, something that didn't happen in her timeline, in an attempt to create an environmental disaster bad enough to make humanity take stock and shift course. Salvador is ruthless because he is a terrorist on a suicide mission, Faye disagrees and wants to find a less destructive way to change the past. None of this gets revealed until the very end of the game of course, though the implausible bits and inconsistencies are foreshadowing.

To make sure, I don't disagree with your review, the characters are still pretty miserable and it isn't an adventure game anyone really needs to play.

I also found the therapist part jarring. I was convinced that it would come up again, perhaps the therapist being in the pocket of the energy company that sabotaged Bert's research, but it never does.

:stare: Okay, that was unexpected. That makes a really good plot twist, but the writing in no way can support that considering how much bullshit you have to get through for the payoff. I've been trying to get through this and Harvey & Edna and together they're making me think that Daedalic does not have the writing chops to support their games. Their jokes fall flat, their logic is strained, and a lot of their story beats are just straight unpleasant and wouldn't even happen in a more competent game.

That therapist part is a perfect example. I was so angry at how it railroads you into doing something personally offensive that I was ready to uninstall on the spot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, I was actually looking forward to a...singleplayer Ubi pirate game :v:. Ubisoft themselves call it "an online naval open world game" so it's not for me at all.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
serious sam: bogus detour has the hammerwatch guy on board so i know it's going to be good

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Aren't there already like two or three Multiplayer Pirate FPSes on Steam?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Too Shy Guy posted:

they're making me think that Daedalic does not have the writing chops to support their games.
Daedalic is really bad. I'm glad people are realizing this though. I don't think I've played a single one with good writing (or it very quickly goes to poo poo like Deponia). I don't even know whose buying their games anymore.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is there any word on whether this is going to have a singleplayer component? The gameplay footage is all PVP when what the world really needs is Black Flag With More Pirates And Without Assassins (with a multiplayer PvP feature, that'd be cool)

Palpek posted:

drat, I was actually looking forward to a...singleplayer Ubi pirate game :v:. Ubisoft themselves call it "an online naval open world game" so it's not for me at all.

Ugggggh okay then nevermind

Orv
May 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Is there any word on whether this is going to have a singleplayer component? The gameplay footage is all PVP when what the world really needs is Black Flag With More Pirates And Without Assassins (with a multiplayer PvP feature, that'd be cool)

This is completely unsubstantiated except from reading a little too far into what they were saying, but it might be a Destiny-esque kind of thing? The ending thing on the conference stream implied PvE bosses and the talk during those two videos implies that "PvP waters" are a not all the time thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

QuarkJets posted:

Nope:

Palpek posted:

Ubisoft themselves call it "an online naval open world game" so it's not for me at all.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:frogsiren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L449s9bVdeM :frogsiren:

Oh my good gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're not allowed to get excited for the sequel to a mediocre game that doesn't actually exist yet.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

You're not allowed to get excited for the sequel to a mediocre game that doesn't actually exist yet.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

It's been 15 years and they're not showing gameplay.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, it's a prequel.

And online apparently?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Veotax posted:

Huh, it's a prequel.

And online apparently?

gently caress that, BGE can stay dead

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

It's been 15 years and they're not showing gameplay.

Okay but BG&E was not mediocre.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deakul posted:

BG&E was okay. 6 out of ten. 6.5, maybe.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Okay but BG&E was not mediocre.

It absolutely was. It was a series of cool ideas and concepts wrapped around a frankly not great game. You can't ignore the actual game part just because what surrounded it was admittedly cool and interesting.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

It absolutely was. It was a series of cool ideas and concepts wrapped around a frankly not great game. You can't ignore the actual game part just because what surrounded it was admittedly cool and interesting.

Considering all the bad games I've played for bad reasons, I can see someone being protective of bad games they played for good reasons :v:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 12, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I only recently played and beat BG&E some time in the past 2 years and I didn't see much bad about the gameplay save for some wonky platforming and stealth segments.

The good was so good that I could easily overlook the jankiness.

It's a world that I desperately want to revisit again with modern graphics and gameplay refinements.

Veotax posted:

Huh, it's a prequel.

And online apparently?

Where'd you get that idea?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 12, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Considering all the bad games I've played for bad reasons, I can see someone being protective of bad games they played for good reasons :V

Sure, but I'm not preaching the controversy or something here. The lust for BG&E2 borders on the clinically insane at times, and it's based on a game that was just okay.

Also this thing all the companies are doing this year where they announce the website for their newly revealed game when it's not even running yet really has to go.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Where'd you get that idea?

Because they said it, out loud. It's a pseudo-mmo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haha holy poo poo is this real? This is nothing like BGE. :allears:

Although a sequel for BGE is like pining for a sequel of Heavy Metal 2000 or something. Like, who the gently caress cares anymore? Twelve years too late.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
It's been long enough that you should probably wait to get excited until BG&E2 shows some, uh, actual gameplay. I know what we got today is miles ahead of what we had a year ago, but it's still Ubisoft we're talking about here.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Because they said it, out loud. It's a pseudo-mmo.

Whoops, I was in bliss over the actual announcement that I guess I tuned that out.

That's a bit disheartening.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I actually loved Beyond Good and Evil and the gameplay was good for its genre but do they seriously want to sell some weird online game and call it Beyond Good and Evil 2? What the hell, how much of a flop will that be. I would already not put my money on an actual sequel selling on the strength of brand recognition because lol but this idea is even weirder.

The CG trailer is cool as a little movie though, remided me of The 5th Element at times.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orv posted:

Sure, but I'm not preaching the controversy or something here. The lust for BG&E2 borders on the clinically insane at times, and it's based on a game that was just okay.
I need a rolleye emoticon that spews out other rolleye emoticons, that's how hot this take is.

Too Shy Guy posted:

:stare: Okay, that was unexpected. That makes a really good plot twist, but the writing in no way can support that considering how much bullshit you have to get through for the payoff. I've been trying to get through this and Harvey & Edna and together they're making me think that Daedalic does not have the writing chops to support their games. Their jokes fall flat, their logic is strained, and a lot of their story beats are just straight unpleasant and wouldn't even happen in a more competent game.
You may want to check out Alcatraz 1954. It kinda falls apart in the end, but I didn't regret playing it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_h8rneDxU
They haven't done anything too exciting since FarCry 3, but I'll be damned if I ain't tempted. A lot it from :woof: admittedly.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I loved BG&E but the dialogue in that trailer is awful. I don't mind swearing at all - I enjoyed Bulletstorm - but here it just sounds really out of place and forced.

Also coming out with the second after such a long time and making it a prequel - so no chance of resolving the cliffhanger from the first - seems like a huge troll.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
What this e3 is teaching me is that out of touch gamers my age who have pined away for these super old games are now in management positions.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zigmidge posted:

What this e3 is teaching me is that out of touch gamers my age who have pined away for these super old games are now in management positions.
actually no, game developers are trying to emulate hollywood and have been trying for the past decade

it's just now they actually ran out of ideas and balls to try something different, and morally and intellectually bankrupt so lets jsut run some poo poo people liked 20 years ago into the ground, what can go wrong??

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Drifter posted:

Gonna gently caress people up so hard in my killdozer wheelchair.

omg it's got nazi cyber ninjas...

,,,and an ALLIGATOR (probably not a nazi)!!!!!

An alligauleiter! :hist101:

Looks great.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

when are we going to get a new Sim Tower?

Orv
May 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

when are we going to get a new Sim Tower?

Not before a new Sim Golf or somebody's gonna loving die.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh my god i forgot about sim golf

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Went to sign up for the AOE:DE beta... 'Xbox live account required'. Why the gently caress would that be necessary, it's not a loving console game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The MP is running through Xbox Live for reasons I cannot begin to comprehend.

• Locked thread