Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This might have been the worst trade in baseball history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Speaking of the draft, I got a little blindsided by this:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/874301769530191872

I've been assuming it was between Wright/McKay/Greene for the last like two months

I really don't see how they go with anyone but McKay, unless there is something we don't know about him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What's the rationale behind anybody other than Greene as the top pick, and if not him, why not Kyle Wright? Is it just the scarcity of SS for Lewis and the lefty nature of McKay?

Pretty solid talent at the top in any case, I just like the look of Greene a lot.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Given the lack of "sure things" a la Harper in this draft I'm surprised Greene isn't going #1, he seems insanely talented and marketable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

What's the rationale behind anybody other than Greene as the top pick, and if not him, why not Kyle Wright? Is it just the scarcity of SS for Lewis and the lefty nature of McKay?

Pretty solid talent at the top in any case, I just like the look of Greene a lot.

The general feelings I get from why Greene wouldn't go #1 are that his non-fastball pitches aren't that good (though obviously they project to be better) and worry about his arm durability, as he's thrown a low amount of innings even for a high schooler because they shut him down early. Also high school RHP and all that. McKay and Wright are college starters so they're closer to the majors and also have higher floors, so to speak.

For Lewis the scouting report I read on him projects him out to be great at the plate (every hit/run tool at least a 50) and the only thing keeping him out of the top of a lot of mocks are worries about how he projects as a defender (his arm strength is a question). Said scouting report basically said "if teams aren't worried about the defense then he's a top five pick," so maybe the Twins aren't worried about his defense.

There's also the chance that they've already locked in on McKay but are using this rumor to try and get him to agree to a lesser deal so they have more bonus pool available for the 35th and 37th picks, which would allow them to get top 15-20 talent that falls due to bonus demands.

As for Kyle Wright, no idea, I thought he's who the Twins were going to take. I somewhat wonder if the Twins are enamored with the possibility of using McKay in a dual role, plus the LHP thing is still a bonus.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Looking forward to Shane Baz being the newest Astro

*watches him go a pick or two before*

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Cool now Lance McCullers is on the 10 day DL

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

You have to be kidding me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Astros are going to draft a college pitcher and just immediately put him on their roster

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Literally the only member of the rotation who isn't on the DL is Mike Fiers holy gently caress

e: Oh wait Musgrove is back

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

1) Being MLB-level good at baseball is a < 1 in 1,000,000 quality.
2) Being taller than 6'6 is probably like 1 in 200 or so?
3) The intersection of these sets is small.
Judge is 6'7", and the average American male is 5'9". He's a little above 3 standard deviations taller than an average dude, so it's closer to 1 in 1,000.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Literally the only member of the rotation who isn't on the DL is Mike Fiers holy gently caress

e: Oh wait Musgrove is back

I legitimately wish the entire Cubs starting rotation was on the DL because a cobbled together AA/AAA rotation could not possibly be any worse and at least then we'd have an excuse for our starters being hot garbage.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

My exact words when I found this out: "You have to be loving kidding me".

I really hope we're just being extra careful with such a big division lead. Can't believe our top SP right now is loving Fiers.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its very frustrating.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

My exact words when I found this out: "You have to be loving kidding me".

I really hope we're just being extra careful with such a big division lead. Can't believe our top SP right now is loving Fiers.

Ehh Fiers has had a couple good outings but I'd still take Musgrove over him

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Ehh Fiers has had a couple good outings but I'd still take Musgrove over him

Musgrove is just coming off the DL so his effectiveness is suspect. I have a feeling the Rangers are going to jump all over him today.

Before Fiers woke the gently caress up I would have agreed with you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Someone go over to the clubhouse and kiss all the boo-boos and oopsies because losing (almost) the entire starting rotation due to things like "neck discomfort" and "back discomfort" is loving horseshit. This team can't survive with three glass cannons.

Hinch should just buy them all memory-foam mattress toppers and pillows since that's apparently a HUGE SOURCE OF PROBLEMs for these fucks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

I legitimately wish the entire Cubs starting rotation was on the DL because a cobbled together AA/AAA rotation could not possibly be any worse and at least then we'd have an excuse for our starters being hot garbage.

I'm surprised at this point Maddon hasn't said, "Edwards, you were drafted as a starter, rub some dirt on that arm and give me six innings tonight."

At which point Edwards sighs, quietly puts his glove in his locker, calmly walks out of the stadium and does a flying leap into Flushing Bay.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone go over to the clubhouse and kiss all the boo-boos and oopsies because losing (almost) the entire starting rotation due to things like "neck discomfort" and "back discomfort" is loving horseshit. This team can't survive with three glass cannons.

Hinch should just buy them all memory-foam mattress toppers and pillows since that's apparently a HUGE SOURCE OF PROBLEMs for these fucks.

Neck problems and back problems are the precise kinds of injuries you try to get guys better from rather than having them pitch through it. They can linger if you don't get them a chance to heal. That's like saying "Elbow discomfort? Get your rear end on the mound and rub some dirt on it"

e: Also the time to let them recover from these kinds of injuries is when you have a huge division lead

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 12, 2017

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/874340312218558466

Gentle Beloved Baseball Oaf Doesn't Know How Babies Are Made.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 12, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how do I tell them at the adoption centre that i would like an aaron judge type baby, please

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

how do I tell them at the adoption centre that i would like an aaron judge type baby, please

Now that's a good return on investment

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chexoid posted:

Picturing Aaron Judge being born as a chestburster from Aliens now.

I mean they never describe just how the Alien grows to be enormous so that kinda works too, he comes out and two scenes later he's capable of swallowing Altuve whole.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I hate days like today when games don't start til like 6 PM and then a whole bunch go. I prefer when theyre spaced out so I can watch baseball from noon til midnight.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do you work for the Mets?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chexoid posted:

New York's Large Adult Son will not be sullied with your sinful knowledge of human reproduction.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

I hate days like today when games don't start til like 6 PM and then a whole bunch go. I prefer when theyre spaced out so I can watch baseball from noon til midnight.

My boss hates it but: :same:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's pretty clear to me that he's saying because he's adopted he didn't literally grow inside her but that her heart (e.g. love and emotional support) is what grew him into the person he is. Or am I just getting wooshed on a run of deliberately disingenuous posts?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

cis autodrag posted:

Or am I just getting wooshed on a run of deliberately disingenuous posts?

Just some jokes. They know he is adopted and his mother actually loves him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Just some jokes. They know he is adopted and his mother actually loves him.

cool, because my first reaction to that tweet was "awww, how sweet. that baseball man loves his adopted parents and doesn't have issues about it, he could be a cool role model for other adopted kids."

but i'm a big softy :3:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

cis autodrag posted:

It's pretty clear to me that he's saying because he's adopted he didn't literally grow inside her but that her heart (e.g. love and emotional support) is what grew him into the person he is. Or am I just getting wooshed on a run of deliberately disingenuous posts?

the joke is that babies don't grow in stomachs ;) But I agree that it's a really sweet sentiment

"Some dude jacked me and now his sperm is growing in my stomach." - Liz Lemon, pretending to be pregnant

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Chexoid posted:

i don't know why this is a surprise, gods almost never get born through the normal channel. it's always out of heads or ears or thighs or whatever.

Beller
Apr 9, 2009
With Aaron Judge starring, maybe the Yankees won't need Bryce Harper

I have reached Aaron Judge overload and hate him now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

538's Neil Paine delivers the ultimate "eh, maybe this is true, maybe it's not," mealy-mouthed, meaningless article about the draft.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Starlin Castro is better...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Beller posted:

With Aaron Judge starring, maybe the Yankees won't need Bryce Harper

I have reached Aaron Judge overload and hate him now.

There was another article not long ago about how Miguel Andujar (who is in AA) was also making Machado obsolete. Reporters are dumb.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Starlin Castro is better...

Castro's rocking a .358 BABIP. You, and I, and every other Cubs fan who watched him for years, we all know that the minute he stops being insanely lucky, he reverts to being a black hole of suck in the lineup.

I mean, c'mon, the guy's drawing a walk at the stratospheric pace of once almost every five games this season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Castro's rocking a .358 BABIP. You, and I, and every other Cubs fan who watched him for years, we all know that the minute he stops being insanely lucky, he reverts to being a black hole of suck in the lineup.

I mean, c'mon, the guy's drawing a walk at the stratospheric pace of once almost every five games this season.

Hey, his BB% is all the way up to 5! The 2017 Yankees are TOTALLY SUSTAINABLE SHUT UP.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
We've had this conversation about Castro's high BABIP in the past, he has a career .321 BABIP. He's just that good my friends.

Come back to Chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone tell me about the busts the Phillies will draft tonight

• Locked thread