Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If that replaced franchise mode they'd cut their purchases in half. They aren't that dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My post was unclear I didn't mean to suggest it's replacing franchise mode, but more that if there weren't any new features I might just pick up last year's (this current) copy and download updated rosters

Is there anything cool about franchise mode? I'm familiar with the stat and age thing

My ncaa14 is all updated so not having the latest release isn't a big deal for me. Especially since I haven't got a new one since 25 on 360

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The last edition of Franchise is the best they've put out in years. Still has some issues with player development (example: corners still lag in skill points if they aren't int machines), cpu teams being really stupid about drafting the same position over and over, and "gently caress you" moments from the cpu, but overall it's prob the best since 25 or 11.

I like to run the games in slow speed sim mode and do something else while keeping an eye on the game.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Since there was no gameplay released, here are some tweets from Madden Devs and Game Changers who were able to play the game.

https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/status/873661691451498496
https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/status/873644701181661184

https://twitter.com/OperationSports/status/873701758903635969
https://twitter.com/OperationSports/status/873750901428674561
https://twitter.com/OperationSports/status/873738097149620225
https://twitter.com/CommunityGuru17/status/873732157591695361
https://twitter.com/TheOneWhoKnocks/status/873732958410203136
https://twitter.com/ClintOldenburg/status/873734287807225857
https://twitter.com/ZAN_4PM/status/873751789023092737

https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/status/873951989385764864
https://twitter.com/RexDEAFootball/status/873949944402427904

Wiccan Wasteland fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 11, 2017

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Is there a guide to max my felony assault skill in Madden RPG?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/we-go-in-depth-on-madden-18s-wild-new-story-mode-with-creative-lead-mike-young

As EA revealed during their press conference, Madden 18's story mode will in effect be an adventure game: a seamless interactive movie in which you influence your choices through branching dialogue. There will be no NFL games in this mode, but Madden's core mechanics will manifest in other ways, such as through high school football, drills, and quicktime events.

lol no football but quicktime

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Waroduce posted:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/we-go-in-depth-on-madden-18s-wild-new-story-mode-with-creative-lead-mike-young

As EA revealed during their press conference, Madden 18's story mode will in effect be an adventure game: a seamless interactive movie in which you influence your choices through branching dialogue. There will be no NFL games in this mode, but Madden's core mechanics will manifest in other ways, such as through high school football, drills, and quicktime events.

lol no football but quicktime

Awesome can't wait to scroll past this so glad they took development resources away from Franchise to get this in there.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Awesome can't wait to scroll past this so glad they took development resources away from Franchise to get this in there.
They didn't. This has been worked on for about 2-3 years by a small team, most of them were brought in specifically for this. So quit your lovely bitching.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm all for making player careers more detailed and interesting, but these weird play in a scripted movie modes that started with the NBA 2K career mode (a spike lee joint!), and have since moved to FIFA and now Madden, just aren't that good. I think if you're going to try and make those game modes more interesting, the old NHL game models are the way to go. Play your player from the beginning and work your way up to the draft. Your draft stock is based on your overall and how well you played. Then after you get drafted, you continue on to win 13 MVP awards or w/e. That gives you replayability at any position. The NCAA games were really good at this too. You started in high school, how well you played determined which schools would recruit you, and then you had practices where you had to score points that led to you beating out the guys ahead of you on the depth chart. Then you just played out your college career. I probably did 20 different careers in that mode. It's so weird to put all the emphasis on like, character development, instead of playing sports.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

real_scud posted:

They didn't. This has been worked on for about 2-3 years by a small team, most of them were brought in specifically for this. So quit your lovely bitching.

yeah I wasn't worried about the resources but after seeing what FIFA was able to do with the journey, this is a step backward in my book. To be fair with an nfl football game that would be a minefield. Off the top of my head...

-different story/dialogue for different positions (positions are way more varied in purpose than soccer, and even FIFA only let you play on the attacking side in The Journey)
-nfl is touchy about anything even remotely dodgy, so most conflict is out
-narrative would be tough when you could be on 32 different teams and some wouldn't even have you starting/playing for years
-FIFA used actual players' voices in cutscenes (I think) which would be difficult in the NFL. (this one is just a gut feeling and i have nothing to back it up).

What I would have liked to see is a mode following the life of a real player. For example (because I know his story) Cam Newton. Dude was a high school star with a football scholarship at a great football university, got kicked out due to some lovely decisions, had to rehab his image at a low level, came back to be a star, burst onto the scene in the NFL, had some HUGE early career moments, got into a really bad car wreck and then didn't lose a game for a year. Other than the car wreck and the different way that FIFA works, this is pretty much the story of The Journey as well. And this could go for a bunch of other players too. Play through TO or Randy Moss's careers. There are plenty of really interesting stories in the NFL, why not use an existing one rather than say "gently caress it, I guess this NFL story won't have anything to do with the NFL"?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I'm all for making player careers more detailed and interesting, but these weird play in a scripted movie modes that started with the NBA 2K career mode (a spike lee joint!), and have since moved to FIFA and now Madden, just aren't that good. I think if you're going to try and make those game modes more interesting, the old NHL game models are the way to go. Play your player from the beginning and work your way up to the draft. Your draft stock is based on your overall and how well you played. Then after you get drafted, you continue on to win 13 MVP awards or w/e. That gives you replayability at any position. The NCAA games were really good at this too. You started in high school, how well you played determined which schools would recruit you, and then you had practices where you had to score points that led to you beating out the guys ahead of you on the depth chart. Then you just played out your college career. I probably did 20 different careers in that mode. It's so weird to put all the emphasis on like, character development, instead of playing sports.

FIFA wasn't that bad because for the most part it stayed out of the way. Your career hits a few predetermined speed bumps but for the most part it's pick your team, play your schedule, watch the occasional cutscene of your friend being an rear end. I actually like it for what it is: A MyCareer mode but with a slight narrative thread.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zimbomonkey posted:

FIFA wasn't that bad because for the most part it stayed out of the way. Your career hits a few predetermined speed bumps but for the most part it's pick your team, play your schedule, watch the occasional cutscene of your friend being an rear end. I actually like it for what it is: A MyCareer mode but with a slight narrative thread.

I just got the game on sale yesterday, so I haven't tried out the journey yet. I definitely will give it a shot tho.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If the people responsible for coding the football portions of the game didn't touch the RPG elements then it might actually be good.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

If you want info on CFM then you can ask @RexDEAFootball and @ClintOldenburg on twitter. If you arent some entitled man child then they will answer any questions that they're allowed to answer at this point in time.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLKpkDpOGd4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuxVNNNNuU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

real_scud posted:

Clint literally said that they had to fight extra hard to get features in to CFM (in reference to off ball injuries) due to the new engine and new story mode. It absolutely took resources away.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Clint literally said that they had to fight extra hard to get features in to CFM (in reference to off ball injuries) due to the new engine and new story mode. It absolutely took resources away.

Can you source that or are you just assuming? In the second video I posted above at the 11:45 mark Rex goes into some detail on what they're doing with CFM.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Can you source that or are you just assuming? In the second video I posted above at the 11:45 mark Rex goes into some detail on what they're doing with CFM.

I don't know how to Twitter so here's a screenshot.

https://imgur.com/gallery/iK09N

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The new Madden is going to suck butt hole so when I get a PS4 later this year I'm probably going to sit on it unless you guys are raving about the new engine I'll probably just get the previous (current yr) version

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Resources are, by definition, a zero sum.

If they paid everyone collectively who made that feature 1$ that still is 1$ not spent on other features.

If you aren't interested in David Cage Does Football it's absolutely a valid gripe.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I mean they had to "fight like hell" (Clint's words, not mine) just to get a basic missing feature like offensive linemen getting hurt into the game. That's sad. What if Clint hadn't fought like hell? Would we have gotten literally nothing? We still can't pick the weather or if a stadium's retractable roof is open or closed in CFM, even though you can in play now games so it'd just be a simple GUI addition to give us that ability.

I will say that one thing is not a zero-sum game, and that's MUT. I don't like MUT but I know it prints money for them so I figure it brings in enough resources to cover itself. This new story mode poo poo will not.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I just realized the entire Madden story mode will be worth it if I can celebrate after scoring a touchdown and then watch a hot take show where old dudes complain about how I don't play the game the right way. Bonus points if they talk about a white guy that does.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Can't wait 2 crush goons

Oberst
May 24, 2010

real_scud posted:

Do you always have to defend the lovely company you don't even work for anymore?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

The All New Press R2 To Fast!!!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Oberst posted:

Can't wait 2 crush goons

Same

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

They might've had to fight extra hard because of the engine, not the story mode stuff. The switch to Frostbite is/was a pain in the rear end and they ended up having to bring all hands on deck to get it done. The story mode stuff was basically done by a small group for a long time who were pretty independent of the rest of Madden dev.

They also probably had to fight extra hard to get it in because of how hardwired a lot of Madden is, so since it was something that the game didn't do easily it probably took more effort than one would think to get off the ball injuries in.

Oberst posted:

Do you always have to defend the lovely company you don't even work for anymore?
No but as a developer and someone who really knows what happens in games I have to defend other developers when lovely manbabies bitch and whine about things they have no real idea about.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Thing is no one is attacking the devs; they're literally saying EA is poorly allocating/mandating resources/time the devs could use on modes/features that aren't for retarded children

So maybe don't be butt hurt whenever anyone levels criticism against EA

Oberst fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 14, 2017

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Btw consumers can whine all they want about whatever they want hth

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Oberst posted:

Eat the consumers imho

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I only play career mode, is madden 17 career mode seriously broken in anyway? Cause I'll probably stick to this year's unless the new engine is like super good. My last madden was madden 25 on 360 so it's all new to me.

Also is it possible to play a decent game in Ultimante Team or whatever the card game is If you never ever buy packs or cards? Or are you just hosed at some point if you don't have studs everywhere

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

real_scud posted:

They might've had to fight extra hard because of the engine, not the story mode stuff. The switch to Frostbite is/was a pain in the rear end and they ended up having to bring all hands on deck to get it done. The story mode stuff was basically done by a small group for a long time who were pretty independent of the rest of Madden dev.

They also probably had to fight extra hard to get it in because of how hardwired a lot of Madden is, so since it was something that the game didn't do easily it probably took more effort than one would think to get off the ball injuries in.

No but as a developer and someone who really knows what happens in games I have to defend other developers when lovely manbabies bitch and whine about things they have no real idea about.

Clint literally said that they had to fight due to story mode and the new engine. He could've easily said it was just the new engine but he chose to say that story mode was part of it also. I don't think it could be more clear.

If story mode takes off and is amazing and people love it then sure, they did the right thing focusing on it instead of CFM or whatever. When it flops it'll just have been a waste of resources.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It's gonna be bad guys

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Oberst posted:

No poo poo, but people love to whine even moreso about poo poo they've no clue about simply because it's EA.

Clint literally said that they had to fight due to story mode and the new engine. He could've easily said it was just the new engine but he chose to say that story mode was part of it also. I don't think it could be more clear.
It could be more clear because people who talk to any kind of media are only allowed to talk about certain things, and in this case he said it was because of Story mode and the new engine since those have already been announced. I know for a fact that CFM took a backpage this year because the people who worked on it last year ended up getting split between building CFM shareable features between NBA and Madden since they're both made in the same studio and they want to be able to more easily share resources between them. Rex talked about this briefly in the 2nd video linked above but that's really why CFM didn't get much done.

We had about 20 or so people between Austin and Orlando working on all the CFM features last year, but since it was a big part of the focus last year it's not going to be a focus this year. So they split the people to work on the NBA/Madden CFM which really meant implementing Madden's CFM in NBA.

But yes by all means please try to tell me I know nothing about a game I worked on.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Ea still makes an nba game?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Madden 18 will be poo poo because it's a new engine. It won't be poo poo because of Indigo Prophesy mode.

That said, no one is exactly shining in this debate.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Papes posted:

Ea still makes an nba game?

They got knocked the gently caress out by 2K. It's trash they literally cancelled it one year

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Which was about to happen with Madden until EA bought out the NFL license.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

So I only play career mode, is madden 17 career mode seriously broken in anyway? Cause I'll probably stick to this year's unless the new engine is like super good. My last madden was madden 25 on 360 so it's all new to me.

Nah, it's pretty good. There's XP sliders in the settings menu once you're in career mode, and those are your friend, but it's definitely playable.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's some new gameplay floating around YouTube and functionally it looks exactly the same.

The biggest difference I could see with some sort of graphic underneath the player you were controlling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Somebody make a thread for 18, it comes out in like less then two months.

• Locked thread