Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Deepnest is a lot like Blighttown in my eyes in that it's a complete nightmare to go through but I like it because it creates a really opressive and creepy atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it won't be super obvious until it's fully gone through, but, deepnest is pretty much intended to be a hostile gauntlet of a bunch of weird crap compared to other areas that are in a similar difficulty range. i'm glad that it looks like people aren't voting to go there anyways because it genuinely wouldn't make for a fun video at this point in the game and i can't even think of any particular reasons to go in there over anywhere else, especially when one of the best areas in the game is right around the corner.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

vdate posted:

Also, you might have thought of Ruin Sentinels, but I thought of Skeleton Lords, which I think is a much better designed (if easier) boss fight. I admit that's probably just due to the name, though; the Mantis Lords don't summon adds.
I mainly thought of Ruin Sentinels because it unfolds in a similar fashion of one boss then two typically. DaS2 had a bunch of really bad mob fights though that have that leap-frogging problem I mentioned, namely the 2nd to last fight with the Throne Guards.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
That fight is actually making me think four kings more than ruin sentinels. Also kinda getting vibes of that boss in 3 that has an after image doing stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Four Kings never attack you two at a time unless you're really really slow though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Johnny Joestar posted:

it won't be super obvious until it's fully gone through, but, deepnest is pretty much intended to be a hostile gauntlet of a bunch of weird crap compared to other areas that are in a similar difficulty range. i'm glad that it looks like people aren't voting to go there anyways because it genuinely wouldn't make for a fun video at this point in the game and i can't even think of any particular reasons to go in there over anywhere else, especially when one of the best areas in the game is right around the corner.

I voted for it because I wanted to see Highwang suffer by going there with a basic nail.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SirSamVimes posted:

I voted for it because I wanted to see Highwang suffer by going there with a basic nail.

that's evil :colbert:

in any case the library option is pulling ahead fairly handily

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

If you have something more specific in mind I don't mind doing that.
EDIT: Added the bike too. (The bike has a light)

blankd fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 7, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Highwang posted:

I mainly thought of Ruin Sentinels because it unfolds in a similar fashion of one boss then two typically. DaS2 had a bunch of really bad mob fights though that have that leap-frogging problem I mentioned, namely the 2nd to last fight with the Throne Guards.

A thought about that occurs now that you mention the leapfrogging thing:

Like, The Thing about Dark Souls is that thanks to the stamina bar and the fairly lengthy attack animations, there's a non-zero opportunity cost to making an attack - you are, to some extent, committed to it, and even if the window for you to roll out of an attack is fairly generous, by making it in the first place you're using stamina, which powers both of your damage evasion mechanics.

There is an opportunity cost to attacking in Hollow Knight - as you demonstrated most neatly with the roll-y things the big armadillo guys lob at you, there is a cooldown on your sword swing, however short, so you can't just hammer the button and get constant pushback. However, compared to the costs in Dark Souls it's really, really small (much like our main character :v:). Additionally (and maybe more importantly?) Hollow Knight lets you attack a) while walking, and b) while jumping (and gives you the down attack in addition to the other directions while you're in the air) - which means you can attack while evading. If you could do that in DaS2, I feel like maybe Ruin Sentinels wouldn't have been nearly as bad a boss fight.

Note that I'm not defending Ruin Sentinels' boss design or anything, it just seemed like kind of a flawed comparison.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

blankd posted:

Oh wow those are perfect man, thanks!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It really is amazing to me the level design in this game and how well-tuned it was for the Metroidvania setup. On my last few playthroughs, I always went into the Deepnest as early as possible and finished it first. Really, once you get the Mantis Claw, any pretence of having a sequence is smashed to pieces and thrown out the window. I don't think I've ever really done the "proper" route after my first time, simply because it has the lowest revenue of time spent to upgrades and access.

A fun little fact about the two entrances you showed off: Cornifer's location in the Deepnest is determined by what entrance you use. I believe is the only part of the game where his location is not predetermined. I only found out about it on my last playthrough, and that was when I realized how well-designed the game was as a Metroidvania. It doesn't feel as mischievous to do it when they've fully expected the sequence will be broken. (Though I should've already realized that during my first playthrough, when I got lost on the way to getting the Mantis Claw and somehow ended up on the complete opposite side of the game world.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, all those masks inside the city gate do not bode well.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
How can you dislike Bretta? She's a sweetheart, a dreamer reaching for the stars!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

blankd posted:

Can I just say the helmet is an amazing touch. Safety first lil guy! :3:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wouldn't want to crack the ol' noggin, after all

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

George Lazenby posted:

Hey, I'm one of the devs (William).

It's been really great reading everyone's thoughts on the game by the way! :) I constantly lurk SA so I've been following the thread, but thought maybe I shouldn't jump in too much. I'm super happy people are getting into it though!

Hey everybody! If you are interested in Hollow Knight, one of the devs dropped into the games thread and you can go there right now and tell him hurry the gently caress up with the new content how good and cool their game is. Which you should do, since it is very! Very cool AND very good!

Edit: Be wary of spoilers in there, of course

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 8, 2017

azren
Feb 14, 2011

blankd posted:

Those are loving adorable! :3:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Bit of an interesting and spoiler-esque content update from the devs: http://steamcommunity.com/games/367520/announcements/detail/1327847269945274512

quote:

2 New Bosses - Leap into battle with the mightiest foes! These epic new duels will test even the most skilled of players. Each fight grants rewards to the victor, though note: Engaging with each imposing boss is entirely optional! Who are these enigmatic, impossible-to-discern figures? We’re not telling! It’s up to you to find out this July!

2 New Tracks - Epic battles need epic music and Chris’s been preparing just that, with stirring new boss themes for each encounter! He's gone all out on these ones!

New Upgrade: Dream Gate - Discover a whole new method of traversing Hallownest! Slice through the Veil and travel in an instant from one corner of the kingdom to another.

A New Stag Station Uncovered - Hallownest’s stags once travelled the breadth of the kingdom, but with the departure of the King, one station was walled away, hidden from bugs and forgotten by stags, until now!

Hollow Knight: Hidden Dreams content is accessible at any point in the game, whether starting fresh or scouring for completion. We’ll be announcing the exact release date as we get close.

I don't know how I'm going to integrate these into the LP. If the bosses are anything like some of the late game nonsense then I might have to make them bonus videos due to learning the fights first.

On another note, I kind of want to do side-videos showing off alternate things that can happen, but I don't remember for the life of me any one the ones I said in the LP. All I remember so far is the Zote branching path.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

azren posted:

Those are loving adorable! :3:

Agreed. I somehow managed to not comment on them but they are every bit as cute as the character art in the game. Are the fish and the bicycle apropos of anything in particular, blankd?

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

vdate posted:

Agreed. I somehow managed to not comment on them but they are every bit as cute as the character art in the game. Are the fish and the bicycle apropos of anything in particular, blankd?
Thanks, I couldn't help it since the design of this game is very cute :3:

Highwang mentioned/asked for them offhand for backtracking in the last video. The fish is an approximation of his SA avatar.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game blends an absolutely adorable dark style with fairly dark subject matter in a way that works really well.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

blankd posted:

Hey, no spoiling the other traversal powerups!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

This is loving adorable. I wish I wasn't so bad at metroidvania type games, because I think I'd enjoy wandering around and picking up the story for myself.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

This is loving adorable. I wish I wasn't so bad at metroidvania type games, because I think I'd enjoy wandering around and picking up the story for myself.

It's not THAT hard a game, to be honest. Maps are easy once you've got them, and Cornifer typically makes his presence easy-ish to find except in deepnest, which made me giggle like crazy, or you can look up where he's at. As long as your Mega Man X (Zero?) skills are up to spec I don't think you'll have many problems!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:smith: I suck at Mega Man.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

vdate posted:

It's not THAT hard a game, to be honest. Maps are easy once you've got them, and Cornifer typically makes his presence easy-ish to find except in deepnest, which made me giggle like crazy, or you can look up where he's at. As long as your Mega Man X (Zero?) skills are up to spec I don't think you'll have many problems!

Ooh it gets hard later on. Its very much concentrated in the late game and the optional stuff.
And some things are just absolutely brutal.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ooh it gets hard later on. Its very much concentrated in the late game and the optional stuff.
And some things are just absolutely brutal.

That...bodes ill considering I died more than once to library-boss.

Oh well. If at first you don't succeed, die, try again, and all that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got this game partially because of this LP.

Man, Highwang made the Mantis Lords look easy.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 7: City of Tears

Possibly one of the best, if not *the* best level in the game due to presentation and music, we reach the true crossroad of the game. City of Tears is where so much of the game opens up on so many levels. Its also just a visual marvel in terms of both presentation and visual quality, having some of the best art assets in the game alongside the best music. You also have a lot more open up to you in terms of game mechanics; weapon upgrading finally becomes available to you now that you found the blacksmith, and the relic seeker also gives you a great means to get money if you've been actively seeking all the artifacts thus far. The area also gives us a hint as to where the final level is; which, amusingly, we saw in the first video of the LP. I really can't think of much to say since the level speaks a lot for itself, both now and later on when we see the second half of it.

Now let's talk about What you're going to be voting for next in more detail.

The "Library Level" is known as the Soul Sanctum. If you just want to beat the game this area is entirely optional, however since our goal is to 100% the game and get the best ending then by merit this becomes mandatory. Soul Sanctum is a neat place because it gets us a new spell to unlock more secrets and progress, but it's also where you can get your first spell upgrade. The latter though requires us to go through another area in this poll unfortunately, so it'll be a bit goofy getting that later. The area also has a unique badge for people that build towards caster builds, so naturally this would be a rad place to go first. Really, it favors those who use the spell system more than anything, which is kinda neat since it allows for more build variety early in the game.

The "Sewer Level" is known as the Royal Waterway. This area is neat since its effectively more of a weird psuedo-horror area rather than your bog-standard poison level, and there are some neat upgrades here. The main thing we're gunning for is acid immunity once we beat the boss, however in retrospect I'm not 100% sure we can get that unless we have an upgrade from another level so that will be funny to explain to you all. Another thing we actually get in this level is a crest that gives us a wealth of synergies in the charm system, so we can demonstrate that to some effect once we go through here. Finally, there's a very disgusting optional boss here that makes me grossed out but it also gives us a cool badge, so we'll be doing that as well in some capacity. Someone let me know if we can get the acid immunity here without a certain upgrade, cause I honestly forget.

The "Mine Level" is known as the Crystal Peak. Its very self explanatory, with it being a mountain mining facility with a lot of machinery and crystals causing a boatload of problems. Here we get this game's equivalent of the Shine Spark, which is necessary for progressing through other parts of the game. We also get a neat badge here which doubles focus time for double healing, alongside a key item that enhances Sly's shop. We also have, in my opinion, the hardest optional boss in the game and possibly the hardest period if the final boss didn't exist. I won't be doing that right now, that will probably be endgame content because that dude is a right fucker. I might show him off once at least just to show how much of a dick he is, but man I hated fighting him. We will also not be able to show off a good 30% of the level due to needing an upgrade we can't get for a while.

Deepnest is Deepnest. I won't say poo poo since its hugely plot related and probably won't be done in the LP for a while since I want to save that for a super interesting plot thing that you can't get unless you do the entire true end segment. Which is horseshit, since most players probably wouldn't even see it.

So if you haven't done so already, vote now and influence this LP!

bewilderment posted:

I got this game partially because of this LP.

Man, Highwang made the Mantis Lords look easy.
Good to hear man. Though honestly, that was one of my worst Mantis Lords fights barring the fights I did learning them. +Range really chumps them.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Voted Soul Sanctum because fighting the boss was like hurling my nuts into a vice repeatedly but goddamn if he isn't cool and well designed and has multiple holy poo poo moments

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw, killing hapless, helpless jerks in games is so... cruel.

I vote Royal Waterway.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Highwang posted:

Someone let me know if we can get the acid immunity here without a certain upgrade, cause I honestly forget.

a quick check of the wiki says that you apparently need the crystal heart from the mines. i don't remember offhand and i'm not in a position to check in my own game

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mover posted:

Voted Soul Sanctum because fighting the boss was like hurling my nuts into a vice repeatedly but goddamn if he isn't cool and well designed and has multiple holy poo poo moments

Hes the second most fun boss.

the other being the broken spoiler

And oh man the dream rematch takes them to incredible levels

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Mover posted:

Hell yeah. I got some Mega Man X vibes off that guy in the best way possible. I voted for that region on the strength of that boss alone. (Though I really like the miniboss for that area too!) Soul Sanctum Boss wasn't that hard but by golly did he demand that you remembered all the things you've learned thus far.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

vdate posted:

Hell yeah. I got some Mega Man X vibes off that guy in the best way possible. I voted for that region on the strength of that boss alone. (Though I really like the miniboss for that area too!) Soul Sanctum Boss wasn't that hard but by golly did he demand that you remembered all the things you've learned thus far.

Turns out unlike the Mantis Lords needing me to learn better pattern recognition, my lesson there was to forget all my fancy tactics and dodge timings in favor of just spamming vengeful spirit as hard as possible between sword swings :v: More time means more fuckups and stray hits I may not have time to heal from. But a couple stray hits is fine AS LONG AS THEY DIE FIRST :black101:

This mindset has helped me through multiple occasions (despite never slotting sword damage/range notches), but I expect whenever I dust this game back off and finally chase after double jumping I'll be in for a world of hurt. Particularly for later optional content.

Speaking of damage, I'd feel more impressed by spells if they scaled up with your sword. "Vengeful spirit is as strong as three sword hits! :pseudo:" turns into a lie, once you start upgrading your sword. Which makes other options not feel like "Uprades" so much as catch up to get back what I once had.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

spells can really start cleaning up if you use certain charm load outs, at least. their versatility let's them keep pace with your nail throughout the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

spells can really start cleaning up if you use certain charm load outs, at least. their versatility let's them keep pace with your nail throughout the game.

Oh, definitely. Where I left off the damage charm had earned a permanent place on my belt. But like I said, the way it's presented feels more like I'm having to play catch up even after upgrades. Getting back to "Kills this current enemy in 1/3 my sword swings" still doesn't change the disappointment when it starts tickling stuff for a while and takes as many hit, or more, than your sword.

Maybe if I had foreknowledge of where the spell goodies where, or just happened across them sooner with my own exploration routes, it would have felt better. Because logically, I know they still dish out plenty of hurt with the right investment, and save me a lot of time once more.... But I ended up taking a long loving time for that so I got real used to my fireball turning into a joke for a good chunk of my gameplay.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 13, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah, with the upgrade from Soul Sanctum (that Highwang can't get yet) I grabbed that along with the Shaman Stone and it really trivializes traversing some of the weaker areas.

I vote for Soul Sanctum first because it's basically Castlevania, and also there's some neat 'lore' in the sense of some of the backgrounds.

Highwang needs the upgrade from Crystal Peak to get acid immunity, and needs some stuff from Soul Sanctum to get some goodies in Crystal Peak, if I remember right.

Is the optional boss that Highwang hates the Crystal Guardian 2? I eventually ended up just cheesing that one with a facetank charm build. I'm not at the end of the game - closer to halfway through, but... I played a lot.

Mover posted:

I must be missing something because for me the boss of Soul Sanctum has windows to heal that you could drift a bus through.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bewilderment posted:

Is the optional boss that Highwang hates the Crystal Guardian 2? I eventually ended up just cheesing that one with a facetank charm build. I'm not at the end of the game - closer to halfway through, but... I played a lot.

I don't think stacking up lifeblood hearts and just going berserk on him, forgoing healing since you don't have time to do it anyway constitutes cheese, it's surely the intended way to play the fight.

bewilderment posted:

I must be missing something because for me the boss of Soul Sanctum has windows to heal that you could drift a bus through.

He does, but they're quite hard for a new player to recognize. This was the first boss I got seriously stuck on when I started out. You really do need to keep a cool head and get a handle on his patterns, unlike the first couple bosses but much like Mantis Lords if you panic and flail around you won't survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing about Relic Seeker Lemm is that he comes off like a antisocial grouch but when you give him a chance to talk about history he eagerly goes on and on.

• Locked thread