Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was the party I used to beat the twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The best party is Makoto, Yusuke, and Ryuji.

I decimated every boss with that team once I was able to form it, to point that Goro sacraficing himself at the end seemed totally unnecessary (I'm still at full health! Let me fight your other self! I don't care if it's a timed battle because the room is filling with water I can take 'em!)

I ended up going with the harem team near the end, Makoto/Haru/Ann, just because I thought Dekunda/Dekaja would be more important than they were and Ann is the first caster to learn their level 3, so she nuked basically everything that didn't resist fire.

Also, Haru's grenade launcher is pretty ridiculous when you get those packs of 5 flying enemies. :getin:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I used Ann/Yusuke/Makoto the entire game, swapping out Yusuke for Goro, never really using Haru past her awakening and I got the Navigator line trophy in the final fight, it's weirdly easy to get.

it's almost scary how good i am

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I used everybody pretty regularly, but for the final and bonus bosses I used Ann/Ryuji/Makoto. Makoto's got good utility with defense buffs and full party heals, Ryuji can buff attack power and deal a fuckton of damage, Joker uses debilitate and otherwise plugs holes in my team strategy, and Ann just nukes poo poo. It's great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Makoto, Ryuji, Haru.

Makoto boosts your defense, Ryuji boosts your attack, Joker debilitates the enemy.

And Haru?

...some people just want to watch the world burn

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah Ryuji/Makoto and then Ann until Haru are the one true party. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I used Ryuji/Makoto/Ann in NG and Haru/Makoto/Ann in NG+

Sorry brah but Hassou Tobi meant I never needed any other strong physicals. We still cool though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I used for random battles by the end:

Joker with Auto Mataru + gun persona with boosts, eventually Yoshitsune
Haru with the 2 gun damage boosts
Ryuji
Yusuke

Ambush > AOE physical x 4, what's this about finding weaknesses

Star Rank 10 meant I would switch Yusuke for Makoto sometimes, Morgana and Ann were not leaving the safe room by the end

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Morgana needed to be tankier if he's supposed to be your main healer. He's always the first party member to go down imo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't particularly remember Yukari or Yukiko being all that tanky either, for what it's worth. Not that it matters a whole lot in this game anyway, since Makoto plays the role of support and healer well enough and anything that Morgana has that she doesn't can be made up for with cheap items from Takemi.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
In the final battle I used the A-Team of Ryuji, Ann, and Makoto, and then about 3/4 in they all got murdered at once and Futaba swapped in the B-Team of Haru, Morgana and Yusuke, and let me tell you, I love those guys, but they were doing gently caress all for damage to the point that I was worried we weren't gonna make it

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't particularly remember Yukari or Yukiko being all that tanky either, for what it's worth. Not that it matters a whole lot in this game anyway, since Makoto plays the role of support and healer well enough and anything that Morgana has that she doesn't can be made up for with cheap items from Takemi.

Teddie was tough as hell and he was supposed to be your primary healer and support runner. Yukiko nukes.

Makoto is that support character in P5, not because Morgana can't, but because Rakukaja is better than Sukukaja now that missing doesn't save/waste turns.

It only matters vs. Yaldabaoth anyway - for everything else, the dream team is Futaba/Joker. Everyone else warms the bench.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Morgana doesn't even get Sukukaja he gets (Ma)Sukunda. I also got a lot of mileage out of pairing Yusuke's Masukukaja with Makoto because I almost never needed to heal more than one person at a time.

Unfortunately the MC will always be the best healer because he's the only party member who can make zero weakness healing Personas.

Yusuke should have gotten some healing instead of Ann based on their personalities imo

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 11, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

Morgana doesn't even get Sukukaja he gets (Ma)Sukunda. I also got a lot of mileage out of pairing Yusuke's Masukukaja with Makoto because I almost never needed to heal more than one person at a time.

Unfortunately the MC will always be the best healer because he's the only party member who can make zero weakness healing Personas.

Yusuke should have gotten some healing instead of Ann based on their personalities imo

What about Yusuke makes you think of a healer? I rather not count on a guy to heal me when he barely even notices the fact that he is starving.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When yusuke heals ann, he spends all of his remaining SP

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

What about Yusuke makes you think of a healer? I rather not count on a guy to heal me when he barely even notices the fact that he is starving.

Yusuke's one of the more empathetic party members. I'm just tired of female/mascot healers only.

I thought Yosuke was the only exception, but apparently Ken also got healing skills.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Akihiko also got dia/diarama/diarahan

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Persona has been pretty good about having males heal. Every game has had at least one male character that can main heal.

Even if those males consist of a bear, cat and Ken 'PLEASE HELP ME' Amada.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

Yusuke's one of the more empathetic party members. I'm just tired of female/mascot healers only.

I thought Yosuke was the only exception, but apparently Ken also got healing skills.

So is Ann and your suggestion would make the first dungeon even more of a pain then it already is.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Teddie was a bad character but he worked well as my backup healer in endgame P4 but you don't need a dedicated healer unless you messed up for most battles.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

So is Ann and your suggestion would make the first dungeon even more of a pain then it already is.

The first dungeon wasn't that bad and I didn't even know about the SP restoring drinks my first playthrough. I think I took one extra day on it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I used the kitty cat for the entire game as every miracle punch followed by "bona fide monafied" pumped more and more dopamine into my brain

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why does Akechi tell Shido "it's just a cat" when Shido tells him to kill Morgana with the others? He knows it's not just a cat.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I just finished for the first time and it's the thing that's been bugging me the most.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Why does Akechi tell Shido "it's just a cat" when Shido tells him to kill Morgana with the others? He knows it's not just a cat.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I just finished for the first time and it's the thing that's been bugging me the most.

I think that's Akechi trying to do the Phantom Thieves a solid by not killing every single one of them. IIRC he also brought up not killing Joker's other teammates as well at least once.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I always figured it was just a covert diss on Morgana "I Am Totally Not a Cat" McCattington.

Some people apparently think that convo is indicative of Akechi being hesitant to go after the other Thieves, but he seemed pretty chill with clipping the rest of them at his leisure.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There's two or three ways to read it.

1) He doesn't want to kill all of them because he has some affection for them.

2) He doesn't respect them enough to want to bother with killing them.

3) For Morgana specifically, he might want to use him as a resource. Everything Akechi knows about the Metaverse comes from Shido and Morgana taught him about things like Stealing Hearts. He might be able to wring more info out if Morgana's alive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At that point, even terrorist scumbag akechi is not so low as to go after the kitty cat

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Digirat posted:

At that point, even terrorist scumbag akechi is not so low as to go after the kitty cat

I mean, without the Phantom Thieves Morgana is basically a non-entity. Without them, he poses absolutely zero threat since no one can understand him and in the regular world being a cat is severely limiting in terms of what he can actually do. In the Metaverse, he's not able to go it alone very easily (as being captured by Kamoshida and not making it terribly far with Haru can attest to). The rest of the Thieves, however, pose a threat if left alone since they can do things both in and out of the Metaverse.

I read it more as Akechi going 'there's no point in killing the cat' more than anything.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Digirat posted:

Another sign Akechi is NOT as bad as haters go v:v:v

I admit, I think at the point he doesn't care about Mona who would just be a stray cat now w/o Joker.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

He's arrogant and assured of his victory.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I think the ambiguity is deliberate. He's made so that if you want to view him as a misguided tragic figure aching for a sweet redemption story, torn between his vengeance and desperate need for approval on one hand, and the sweet, sweet taste of actual friendship and comradery he sees in the PT, you can totally read that in the thing. If you enjoy him more as a twisted, yet also pathetic figure who so completely missed the clue, suffering abuse only to bestow it on others, craving approval and only getting in the fakest and most superficial way, thinking himself arrogant and above all others, only to get DUNKED ON in the most magnificent way, that's also something you can take from the story.

I think that's part of the reason that, IIRC, Joker actually remains silent during the final moments. Does Joker feel sympathy for Akechi, betrayed anger, contempt, smug satisfaction? It's your Joker. I think that is a scene where the fact that it's still a mostly silent protagonist does work.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Shogeton posted:

I think that's part of the reason that, IIRC, Joker actually remains silent during the final moments. Does Joker feel sympathy for Akechi, betrayed anger, contempt, smug satisfaction? It's your Joker. I think that is a scene where the fact that it's still a mostly silent protagonist does work.

Joker should have more VA because I'm a huge fan of his JPN VA in anime/games. I don't care about creative liberty I just want more VA in Persona.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
They might as well have a voiced protagonist at this point. It's not like back in the day where disc space was at a premium and you cut out VA as much as you could get away with.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

But it's funnier when people talk at him in cutscenes and he just tilts his head and makes strange grunts in response because they're determined not to have him talk for some reason

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Persona games have always maintained the silent protagonist thing and it's been a big institution of nearly every SMT game, spin-off or mainstay. It'd be a massive departure to go away from it now.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Persona games have always maintained the silent protagonist thing and it's been a big institution of nearly every SMT game, spin-off or mainstay. It'd be a massive departure to go away from it now.

I don't think anyone would mind if Xander Mobus got to talk a bit more. at least we have the anime

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Xander Mobus speaking more, you say?

https://youtu.be/pbTt0iz-Wvc

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'll forgive them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

"It's tradition!" isn't a good reason for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hopefully they voice everything like classic game Fallout 4

• Locked thread