Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Jomo posted:

With the solo umbrella girl photo, the angled look works really well in making the eye follow a diagonal focus from bottom-left to top-right of the image, which makes me feel like the umbrella itself is nearly popping out of the photo. While with the schoolboy one it helps to emphasize his movement in the picture.

Also for the women crossing the road photo, I really like the two main subjects have opposite sides of their face obscured and everyone else's face in the background is also hidden due to an umbrella.

Keep it up, I think these an some of the other one's on you flickr are brilliant.

Thank you!

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Summer of 2016 in Porto, Portugal.

_DSF1272 by Dan Hozias, on Flickr
_DSF1267 by Dan Hozias, on Flickr
_DSF1161 by Dan Hozias, on Flickr
_DSF1207 by Dan Hozias, on Flickr
_DSF1251 by Dan Hozias, on Flickr

Jomo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 1, 2017

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Those birds look like g-g-g-g-g-ghosts

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Those birds look like g-g-g-g-g-ghosts

The HDR mode managed to catch the same bird in different positions between each internal frame. As Bob Ross would say, "happy little accident".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jomo posted:

The HDR mode managed to catch the same bird in different positions between each internal frame. As Bob Ross would say, "happy little accident".

I wouldn't call it "happy", since HDR was involved.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

This must be the place. by Jason Martin, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I see you. by Jason Martin, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Do not delay. by Jason Martin, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yep, street thread is still street thread.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

elgarbo posted:

Feels like Battlefield Earth in here.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Feels like Battlefield Earth in here.

I don't know what any of this means.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thetzar posted:

they're saying your photos are bad. maybe sit on your pics a bit more and work on self curating.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thetzar posted:

Battlefield Earth wiki posted:

Almost every shot in the film is at a Dutch angle, because, according to Roger Christian, he wanted the film to look like a comic book.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

they're saying your photos are bad. maybe sit on your pics a bit more and work on self curating.

Okey.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The second to last one is actually pretty good. The strong diagonals actually work for you in that case. The rest are pretty boring tho.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

thetzar posted:

So my comment doesn't come off sounding like a thoughtless jab, here's some constructive critique -- those photos all just depict uninteresting subjects, but you've tried to add *drama* by shooting at weird angles. Street photography is really ultimately going to be about shooting countless thousands of photos and curating them down to only the very few good ones. Example: what's the deal with the photo of the guy pointing randomly at something out of frame, with the sunset behind him? I look at this photo and see a photo of a guy looking at something. Where's the tension? The interest? Nothing about this shot says anything interesting at all. It's just a guy who's probably just reading a sign and there's a bit of aesthetic lighting behind him. Probably should have been culled on a first pass through Lightroom.

You post a lot of stuff in a lot of threads in great big photodumps, which is cool and fine if that's your thing, but I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe cast a critical eye over your stuff and do some curating of your own work.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

So my comment doesn't come off sounding like a thoughtless jab, here's some constructive critique -- those photos all just depict uninteresting subjects, but you've tried to add *drama* by shooting at weird angles. Street photography is really ultimately going to be about shooting countless thousands of photos and curating them down to only the very few good ones. Example: what's the deal with the photo of the guy pointing randomly at something out of frame, with the sunset behind him? I look at this photo and see a photo of a guy looking at something. Where's the tension? The interest? Nothing about this shot says anything interesting at all. It's just a guy who's probably just reading a sign and there's a bit of aesthetic lighting behind him. Probably should have been culled on a first pass through Lightroom.

You post a lot of stuff in a lot of threads in great big photodumps, which is cool and fine if that's your thing, but I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe cast a critical eye over your stuff and do some curating of your own work.

Thank you! This is the sort of useful feedback that I like to get.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Have to say I really like this one. Though I'm not sure my eye would have been drawn to the sign if it weren't for the title of the photo.

This feels like something that can rise above the others as it offers something poignant to say. It made me think about the relationship between those two people who are sitting next to each other. They seem awkward in juxtaposition to the (what you might call) faux-authentic marketing on the sign which I assume is for a bar or a cafe.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Have to say I really like this one. Though I'm not sure my eye would have been drawn to the sign if it weren't for the title of the photo.

That's funny, because my eye jumped straight to the sign but I didn't read the title until you pointed it out (and now that song is in my head all day).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Nigel Tufnel posted:

This feels like something that can rise above the others as it offers something poignant to say. It made me think about the relationship between those two people who are sitting next to each other. They seem awkward in juxtaposition to the (what you might call) faux-authentic marketing on the sign which I assume is for a bar or a cafe.

I like the parts of that one but the actual composition sort of ruins it for me. Maybe a bit wider and centered on the couple would be better.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Views by Cacator, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
the CN tower in the background of pics looks just enough like the Space Needle that I always start looking to see where the picture was taken only to realise "in another country".

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Looks like it was shot in the west end, but higher up than Bloor, I'd say around Dupont.

What are you doing in tdot cacator

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Looks like it was shot in the west end, but higher up than Bloor, I'd say around Dupont.
The stairs next to Casa Loma!

bobmarleysghost posted:

What are you doing in tdot cacator
Just visiting.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Just one, carefully selected, straight.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Some photos from the market in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Not the best framing or focus I could have hoped for but I was shooting quickly and from the hip on occasion.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cacator posted:

The stairs next to Casa Loma!

Just visiting.

good stuff enjoy it

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

thetzar posted:

Do not delay. by Jason Martin, on Flickr

I like these a lot, your composition is great.

Some street-ish stuff I guess (what is a railway line, if not a street for trains?):

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Not the best framing or focus I could have hoped for but I was shooting quickly and from the hip on occasion.

oh ffs

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Why did you keep these? I'm curious to understand what you see in them given the major technical issues and the terrible framing.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Helen Highwater posted:

Why did you keep these? I'm curious to understand what you see in them given the major technical issues and the terrible framing.

because their of homeless-looking people, and theyre are the pinnacle of fine art

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

this is perfect, actually. you can just feel the photographer's gaze walking through an unfamiliar environment, clutching their camera bag close, turning a corner and SHOCK - it's a poor!!! dip your head back around the wall margaret, this place is not for us

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I really like this one. The harsh doomsday text juxtaposed with her almost serene (but judgmental) facial expression is funny but also weirdly insightful. The weird diagonals and angles create an almost dizzying effect which is actually pretty on-point with the overall message. The contrast seems a little bit off, though.

Edit: on the other hand it looks like your sense of timing gives your subjects a very lifeless vibe. Like they're secondary to your picture quality.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

this is perfect, actually. you can just feel the photographer's gaze walking through an unfamiliar environment, clutching their camera bag close, turning a corner and SHOCK - it's a poor!!! dip your head back around the wall margaret, this place is not for us
You own

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

ansel autisms posted:

I think it's more about the noble savage, laid low by western vices

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Shellman posted:

I think it's more about the noble savage, laid low by western vices

you can really see the humanity in his eyes though, they are so poor but so content. rly makes u think

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Yikes. Message received guys. Back to the drawing board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

good attitude