Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone tell me about the busts the Phillies will draft tonight

This is, what, the third year of Gillick and MacPhail running the front office without interference from Montgomery, right? Those are two of the legitimately best talent evaluators in baseball, I can't imagine they're going to be drafting hobos from the northwoods of Wisconsin or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone tell me about the busts the Phillies will draft tonight

Brisbee's got you:

quote:

8. Philadelphia Phillies
Remember when the Phillies were stacked with young pitching, and all they needed was a lineup around them? It takes a couple months for any team to realize that there’s no such thing as too much pitching depth.

Like most teams, though, this pick didn’t have much to do with what was happening in the upper levels of the minors or with the major league club. This was all about the talent and projectability, and that’s what the Phillies got here. Every team can use this kind of talent infusion, but the Phillies, with their small payroll, large market, and serious expectations, needed it just a little more than most.

Grade: B+

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The next great Twins bust is Royce Lewis.

I'm willing to bet he cut a deal for a low end bonus in slot

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

The next great Twins bust is Royce Lewis.

I'm willing to bet he cut a deal for a low end bonus in slot

He's a Boras "client" so I'm guessing not.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/874404518905212928

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

For whatever reason, I was under the impression the new CBA put a hard spending limit on draft-pick contracts, so teams wouldn't be handing out megadeals anymore. Or was that only Tony Clark rolling over on a cap for international spends (which, ironically, depresses salaries more than an international draft)?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Twins wanted McKay but whatever deal they offered him he turned down, so now McKay goes to Tampa and the Twins get Lewis.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
There's 3 picks in and the draft tracker hasn't updated get your poo poo together MLB

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Mackenzie Gore looks like Jeff Karstens and Zach Greinke got into a teleporter at the same time

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

For whatever reason, I was under the impression the new CBA put a hard spending limit on draft-pick contracts, so teams wouldn't be handing out megadeals anymore. Or was that only Tony Clark rolling over on a cap for international spends (which, ironically, depresses salaries more than an international draft)?

There's a limit to the spending, but it's still a lot.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I have to say I think the Braves got a steal with Kyle Wright at 5

Feel free to quote this if he flames out

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
If they're gonna televise this can they at least beef up the production values

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
So how good is Wright?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

interesting

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apparently the Rays are committed to letting McKay try to make it as a two-way player.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently the Rays are committed to letting McKay try to make it as a two-way player.

They can learn how to handle a two way player in the MLB by watching Otani on the Yankees after next year's international signing period.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Otani to the Yankees? Man gently caress the Yankees

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goodpancakes posted:

Otani to the Yankees? Man gently caress the Yankees

I'm not all that sure Otani is gonna end up on the Yankees, I think NL teams have an advantage with him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jameson Taillon is starting tonight and that owns

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not all that sure Otani is gonna end up on the Yankees, I think NL teams have an advantage with him.

Think so? I've heard AL teams have an advantage with him because he can DH on days he isn't pitching.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I want to watch Pedro call everyone in the draft a baby for the rest of the night

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
White Sox snag the best name in the draft with Jake Burger. He looks like a Jake Burger too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm ready to see how the Marlins gently caress this up this year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh hey another HS pitcher, never saw that coming....

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Think so? I've heard AL teams have an advantage with him because he can DH on days he isn't pitching.

I figure NL teams will be more willing to let him hit. Even though I guess that's a known issue at this point.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

White Sox snag the best name in the draft with Jake Burger. He looks like a Jake Burger too.

Went way higher than mocked, too. Most places had him near 20 or higher.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

So how good is Wright?

Was considered the overall #1 for a lot of the draft year. About as sure a thing as you can find in the MLB draft, injuries etc. aside.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am a believer in the don't take a first baseman in the first round, and Burger won't stick at third. Few teams now have taken 1b, thanks dudes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yankees take Clarke Schmidt, who is currently rehabbing TJS.

Getting it out of the way early this year after Kaprielian, I guess.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Was considered the overall #1 for a lot of the draft year. About as sure a thing as you can find in the MLB draft, injuries etc. aside.

*checks Braves score*

When can he start?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

White Sox snag the best name in the draft

Uh excuse me Bubba Thompson has not been drafted yet. :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Intruder posted:

Looking forward to Shane Baz being the newest Astro

*watches him go a pick or two before*

:(

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Oh boo hoo, getting Buk there is a steal.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees take Clarke Schmidt, who is currently rehabbing TJS.

Getting it out of the way early this year after Kaprielian, I guess.

Seems like a Cito Culver like pick. Kind of disappointing with some great arms that are not injured still available. Then again the MLB draft is a crapshoot anyway.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Mackenzie Gore is not the name of an MLB player, I really don't have high hopes for him.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Sydin posted:

Uh excuse me Bubba Thompson has not been drafted yet. :colbert:
He's no Handsome Monica.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Apparently the Jays are about to pick something called a Logan Warmoth. RHP.

Edit: they've listed him as a SS so maybe they don't want him as a pitcher.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Royce was almost certainly underslot, ignore Heyman. This is the new cba though, so it probably doesn't matter.

Curious about who will fall to the twins at 35/37 to put that money to. Had been hoping Kendall and/or Carlson, but looks like half of the dream is dead.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners picked a 1st basemen that has little power, but is "athletic." I guess they might try to convert him to a CF or something.

e: just saw a pic of him, holy poo poo he's a twig. Hopefully he can gain some mass.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Josh Reddick out with a mild concussion now. Eventually they'll just start pulling people from the stands to fill the Astros roster.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/AntsInOK/status/874451922463412225

*drat*

https://twitter.com/ParkerHageman/status/855448224685056000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Seems like a Cito Culver like pick. Kind of disappointing with some great arms that are not injured still available. Then again the MLB draft is a crapshoot anyway.

Not nearly as bad as Culver. Schmidt was a surefire top 10 arm before surgery.

I mean, it's a gamble, but like you said, so is the whole thing. At least Schmidt has a track record.

• Locked thread