Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, I just saw that. poo poo like that is getting pretty worriesome. There's already a substantial portion of White people who will happily defend the Confederacy on the grounds that it has everything to with "Southern" culture, except that whole slavery thing. Going to bat for Nazis from there is just a hop, skip and jump away.

uhm about that.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/83711/nazi-pissboys-are-crying-over-a-new-game-where-you-murder-nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How are we still treating the idea of Republicans reacting to Trump's crimes by actually turning on him instead of ignoring him and frantically rewriting the rules of Democracy in their own favor as any thing other than absolute nonsense

This entire board as an endless cycle of "lol that won't ever happen" *poo poo happens*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Why do people think Mueller is on his way out?

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/874398128937418752

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/874349539683172355

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I do not like to think about what would happen if he did fire Mueller and congress decided to do nothing about it. Our dark timeline has recently been taking a few turns through a few of the hopeful / humorous forks in the road, but that would set us back down a pretty dark branch again.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/874408373596192768

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

With the current regulations, he must order the Attorney General (in this case, Rosenstein, since Sessions is "recused") to fire Mueller. He can instead, however, abolish the regulations themselves, then fire Mueller himself.

How much leeway does the president have to just abolish regulations he doesn't like? It's not a power I've really heard about presidents using before. Can he literally abolish any law that needed presidential approval in the first place, or is it more complicated than that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And yet it's just because of his disease. He can't stand to be criticized and can only tolerate praise.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
To the "nothing matters" brigade. I think it's worth pointing out that the Intelligence community has it in for Trump and so far the reason they have limited themselves to a stead drip drip of leaks has been because they are trying to use as light a hand as they can and keep things operating within the normal legal framework.

If Trump thwarts the legal process I have no doubt that the leaks will become a deluge with far more damning evidence than what has been hinted at thus far.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NRVNQSR posted:

How much leeway does the president have to just abolish regulations he doesn't like? It's not a power I've really heard about presidents using before. Can he literally abolish any law that needed presidential approval in the first place, or is it more complicated than that?

These regulations are internal DOJ regulations about how the DOJ operates. They are not law, or formal regulations passed by a regulatory agency. Trump can't unilaterally abolish laws or formal regulations, but he can abolish these internal regulations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Spiritus Nox posted:

How are we still treating the idea of Republicans reacting to Trump's crimes by actually turning on him instead of ignoring him and frantically rewriting the rules of Democracy in their own favor as any thing other than absolute nonsense

This entire board as an endless cycle of "lol that won't ever happen" *poo poo happens*

I have no idea. There is no longer any accountability, and the social contract is pretty close to dead. The only thing that's keeping us running at the moment is inertia.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Get the gently caress in. Burn it all you Cheeto.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

These regulations are internal DOJ regulations about how the DOJ operates. They are not law, or formal regulations passed by a regulatory agency. Trump can't unilaterally abolish laws or formal regulations, but he can abolish these internal regulations.

Ah, so they're regulations that were created entirely within the executive, without any legislative involvement? That makes sense, thanks!

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

evilweasel posted:

Going to bat for him firing Mueller is so obviously corrupt it will hurt their standing with Republicans. Not with most republicans, but with a decent amount. It will burn them with everyone else.

Firing Comey, watching how much that made things worse, then going right ahead and firing Mueller will convince Republicans there's really something bad there, bad enough to make firing two different investigators the better option for Trump. Something that bad is probably not going to stay buried when everyone knows its there, and when it comes out they want to say it was just Trump, not the entire Republican party. Really, they don't need him to last much longer than a year. That'll let them shove as much stuff through Congress as they're realistically going to get done. If Trump is hobbled or resigns, so be it - they'd rather have Pence anyway, they just can't have their fingerprints on the knife.
How much damage did firing Comey actually do? It sounds like Republicans are still entirely on board with Trump, McConnell and Ryan are still defending his every action. Remember a few weeks ago when everyone said firing Comey would be so obviously corrupt that Trump would never do it because the Republicans would turn on him? Well, he did, and they haven't. Why would firing Mueller be any different?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Skex posted:

To the "nothing matters" brigade. I think it's worth pointing out that the Intelligence community has it in for Trump and so far the reason they have limited themselves to a stead drip drip of leaks has been because they are trying to use as light a hand as they can and keep things operating within the normal legal framework.

If Trump thwarts the legal process I have no doubt that the leaks will become a deluge with far more damning evidence than what has been hinted at thus far.

Even if this is true, I don't think you can blame people for being uncomfortable with the state intelligence apparatus having this much control or influence. If we ever actually reach that point then the federal government is legitimately broken.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, I am honestly not sure what would happen if Mueller was fired.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NoDamage posted:

How much damage did firing Comey actually do? It sounds like Republicans are still entirely on board with Trump, McConnell and Ryan are still defending his every action. Remember a few weeks ago when everyone said firing Comey would be so obviously corrupt that Trump would never do it because the Republicans would turn on him? Well, he did, and they haven't. Why would firing Mueller be any different?

There's a reason his disapproval is at near 60%, a plurality of the country wants him impeached, there's a Special Counsel, and the GOP is panicked enough that they're starting to consider if 'Burn as much poo poo as we can before 2018 and inevitable destruction' might be the best strategy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I know it will never happen in a million, bazillion years, but how amazing would it be if Sessions got up in front of the Senate Intelligence Committee and opened the floodgates on Trump as retaliation for all of his recent judicial dick-fuckery.

Like, just recites the "Tears In Rain" speech from Blade Runner and just goes.

Like a little racist rocket of truth.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sinteres posted:

He cares about the Russia investigation,and has nothing to lose. He's never going to be the bipartisan hero liberals want him to be, but he has a core set of interests that he actually cares about, and this relates to that.
Given his 7 minute "but lets talk about Hillary's emails" argument during Comey's testimony, I don't really believe McCain cares about the Russia investigation if it potentially costs him face or political standing. Maybe he does care a little, but clearly not enough to do anything more than lip service.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I am honestly not sure what would happen if Mueller was fired.
This is a trial balloon. If you don't hear a peep from Congressional Republicans then you (and Trump) have your answer.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Night10194 posted:

There's a reason his disapproval is at near 60%, a plurality of the country wants him impeached, there's a Special Counsel, and the GOP is panicked enough that they're starting to consider if 'Burn as much poo poo as we can before 2018 and inevitable destruction' might be the best strategy.

It's weird how this thread didn't give up "republicans LOVE trump and will do ANYTHING for him" after the health care bill totally failed the first time and republican judges blocked his travel ban over and over. Like republicans stick together, but we already have seen limits to that. They stidk with trump way more than is remotely sane but we already see cases he isn't god king who can wave his hand and have everyone to do as he says because he's an R and they are an R.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oh my god, just loving try it you fat turd.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Banks are....................

good?

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/874417719629795328

I know banks aren't actually good, and I think corporations withdrawing advertising for news they don't like is going to have consequences liberals won't like, but gently caress Megyn Kelly promoting Alex Jones.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's weird how this thread didn't give up "republicans LOVE trump and will do ANYTHING for him" after the health care bill totally failed the first time and republican judges blocked his travel ban over and over. Like republicans stick together, but we already have seen limits to that. They stidk with trump way more than is remotely sane but we already see cases he isn't god king who can wave his hand and have everyone to do as he says because he's an R and they are an R.
The "limits" shown by the first failure of the health care bill were limits to the center, not the right. It failed in April because the leadership played chicken with the Freedom Caucus instead of the Tuesday Group. When they came to their senses they realized the centrists would easily fold, as they always do.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

gently caress, my 50-something year old father still thinks that. And also thinks that it's called a progressive tax because Progressives came up with it.

This is why I call it marginal taxation when talking about the concept, anything with progressive in it is a posioned well

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, the AHCA isn't "Trump's Bill." I don't think Trump has ever read it and I know he doesn't understand it. Trump is a hand to hold a pen, the AHCA was Ryan and the far right's baby.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, the AHCA isn't "Trump's Bill." I don't think Trump has ever read it and I know he doesn't understand it. Trump is a hand to hold a pen, the AHCA was Ryan and the far right's baby.

Calling it Trumpcare will make for better attack ads than calling it Ryancare though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/874421559816998913

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

http://www.thedailybeast.com/white-house-when-trump-said-hed-testify-he-didnt-mean-to-congress?via=desktop&source=copyurl

quote:

White House: When Trump Said He’d Testify, He Didn’t Mean to Congress

President Trump will not testify before Congress under oath, a development that legal experts say was expected but that illustrates the pitfalls of the president’s tendency to shoot from the hip in public remarks. Trump said at a Friday press conference that he would “100%” agree to give sworn testimony in response to former FBI director James Comey’s allegations last week. On Monday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said the president was “specifically asked whether or not he would talk to Director Mueller,” the special counsel investigating alleged Russian election meddling, under oath. In fact, Trump was asked generally about giving sworn testimony rebutting Comey’s allegations that the president asked him to pledge loyalty and to ease up on the FBI’s investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn. Asked a follow-up about Mueller specifically, the president said he would speak with him as well. Congressional Democrats were giddy at the prospect of grilling Trump under oath, but experts say that testimony was probably never going to happen. “I think that was expected,” said national security attorney Bradley Moss. “Having the President testify before Congress raises significant separation of powers concerns. The last to do it was Gerald Ford and all others since have adamantly refused.” But Moss and his law partner Mark Zaid say the president didn’t seem aware of that fact during his remarks on Friday. “This Presidency is marked like none other by a White House tendency to reinterpret the specific words of the President. Every time that happens its credibility suffers,” Zaid said in an email.
—Lachlan Markay

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Trpnwas all about it because then he could brag that he killed Obamacare and bask in the adulation. He has no idea what's in it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
In the unlikely event that Trump is dragged from the White House in handcuffs a week before midterms and half of Congress is lying too low to even campaign, there will still be a thread full of "If THAT didn't matter....." posters. Just get used to it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Calling it Trumpcare will make for better attack ads than calling it Ryancare though.

If we ever start living in a world where things matter, we should absolutely call this Ryancare. Trump has his hands in enough lovely pots on his own, but AHCA is and long has been mainstream republican policy - they've just been able to hide that from the public because they never had the power to enact it. That needs to end. The public has to understand that the evil in the GOP did not roll in with Donald.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

This Mueller firing talk has me spooked. Their whole narrative since Comey's hearing has been some real doublethink poo poo, spinning it like it actually *cleared* Trump of suspicion. Makes me worry all this plus Sessions going in to testify has been to build this narrative that the matter is sealed and there doesn't need to be a special counsel.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

If we ever start living in a world where things matter, we should absolutely call this Ryancare. Trump has his hands in enough lovely pots on his own, but AHCA is and long has been mainstream republican policy - they've just been able to hide that from the public because they never had the power to enact it. That needs to end. The public has to understand that the evil in the GOP did not roll in with Donald.

Trump's going to dominate headlines no matter what, so tying the whole party to him is more effective than a 'those other guys are also bad, independently of him' strategy.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There has to be one weird trick to unlock full communism now in trump's "everything is on the table" negotiation strategy

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

nachos posted:

There has to be one weird trick to unlock full communism now in trump's "everything is on the table" negotiation strategy
it's called "second civil war" and unfortunately only a couple states will get it, the rest will be divided by china, mexico, and germany

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Judges are way more independent than congressmen.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I have a feeling that if Trump fires Mueller you'll start to see a lot of leaks from a lot of intelligence services. Including the NATO ones that have a boatload of dirt on Trump.

Then Trump will nuke someone to distract the media.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I really don't think this kind of thing matters all that much in the long run, but if you want to hurt the GOP then I think tying the AHCA to Trump is the way to go. Trump is already toxic, he's probably going to be more toxic in three years, and if he ends up facing impeachment he's going to be downright radioactive. Tie his name around this bill like an anchor and force the GOP to defend it all the way to the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spite posted:

I have a feeling that if Trump fires Mueller you'll start to see a lot of leaks from a lot of intelligence services. Including the NATO ones that have a boatload of dirt on Trump.

Then Trump will nuke someone to distract the media.

we've already seen that

• Locked thread