Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
sonic 3 looked like hot garbage, sonic 2 & knuckles supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sonic 2 has the best music, the best zones, the best multiplayer.

Sonic 3 has save slots. Easy to see here folks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Chaos Emerald stages are also a lot better in 3, and it's neat that the game gives you a story/level incentive to get them all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

xamphear posted:

Opinions are like assholes...

This thread is full of them.

I can confirm that.

Anyway, I kind of want to talk Might and Magic 1. Who's with me? Just me then? Okay. :smith:

(BTW, feel free to bring up the plot twist if you want. It's a 30 year old game and while I may not have beaten 1 or 2, I have beaten 3 - 8 so I'm very familiar with the central conceit of the series.)

I'm currently playing the PC EGA re-release. I tried to get the C64 version working but had trouble with the character disk for some reason that I decided I didn't want to bother solving. Then I thought, "Hey why not see what the NES version has to offer!" and that lasted about ten minutes. So I jumped to the version from the MM6 Limited Edition CD (the one with the hologram on it!). I had been poking a bit at it off and on for a couple of weeks but posting about it the other day got a fire under me and I started actually trying in earnest. I've managed to get my characters up to level three, crossing the "man this is tough to get started" hump and I'm now ready to get into the game proper.

I've heard there's mapping software that's convenient for keeping track on your computer as you play these days, but the only thing I could find was a piece of commercial software so I decided to go old school and bust out the graph paper and pencil.

The thing that strikes me most about Might and Magic so far is the pacing. For the first level or two, you go out and head into the town dungeon where encounters are a bit more common. After pretty much any fight, you have to rest and consume food to get back to full health. Filling your pack to 40 food only cost 5 gold per character so it's worthwhile to do so. New characters are more impoverished than pretty much any RPG I can think of: they get a stick and ten food and that's it. No cash, no armor, not even class particular weapons. Take your stick and go hit some guys so you can get 12 gold total. I wound up cheating slightly by looting the pregenerated characters but that gave me 200 gold which was enough for starting equipment for two of my six characters and a bit more food.

I'm really coming to like the combat system. It's a little more tactical than Bard's Tale but still goes by pretty quickly. The biggest problem is that even characters with maximum starting accuracy and a blessing to hit better might connect one time in three when they start out. But since you can recover to full pretty much anywhere, you're free to throw resources into trying to overcome larger groups. The fact that getting reduced to 0 or lower HP just knocks a character out and they can be recovered by any healing spell is also pretty nifty.

Speaking of which, I can really feel the step up from Wizardry in this game with its greater complexity and more expansive world. And even if you start out poor, the game isn't nearly as brutal to starting characters as The Bard's Tale is where you can expect to spend your first ten hours or so getting enough levels and equipment that you can survive walking the streets. They still haven't figured out interfaces yet, though, and having to search manually after every battle to get any kind of material reward is a pain in the rear end. So is how it handles picking locks where apparently every single door is rigged with deadly spells (it's that or any marginal success means that the game just rolls a random damage attack on your party).

I don't know if I'm going to make it to the end of the game this time (talking about it does make me tend to stick things out). I am having a good time with it so far, though.

Also, gently caress sprites. gently caress them and their magic resisting, constantly cursing asses.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

xamphear posted:

Opinions are like assholes...

This thread is full of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNB8IHfHdU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Harlock posted:

Sonic 2 has the best music, the best zones, the best multiplayer.

Sonic 3 has save slots. Easy to see here folks.

Sonic 2 and 3's co-op mode was the best because you can let your little brother or lovely-at-Sonic friend play the invincible guy that can fly

i was the lovely-at-sonic friend

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I feel like S3&K actually had the best everything. Best level design (The Barrel™ notwithstanding, the way they accommodated multiple characters with varying paths in the same stages is still pretty incredible), catchiest music (though that's a tight race), most-fleshed-out gameplay (Sonic and Tails no longer playing exactly the same like Sonic 2, to say nothing of Knuckles; multiple types of shields each with legitimate uses even when their respective element is absent; etc.), telling a story in-game through pantomime (as opposed to limiting it to one single zone, as with Sonic 2)... I'd say "best graphics" too, but I'm a bit more partial to Sonic CD's look on that front. Even still, it stands out as one of the best 2D platformers in existence; it all just came together really well.

Shame we haven't had a Sonic game quite that polished since - plenty I've enjoyed, but none that were firing on all cylinders like S3&K did. Mania looks like it'll come close, at least.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I stilld on't understand how people would never get past the barrel. There's only like 5 inputs you can give to Sonic in the whole game.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's because the barrel actually responds to a much more frequently used input: jumping. If your timing is right, you can almost make it, just from using the momentum you get from jumping on it. The jumping trick is even enough to get you past an earlier barrel that acts the same, because the required distance to travel is lower.

If the barrel didn't move at all until you pressed up or down, then I'd bet a lot fewer people would have gotten stuck there.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Fortunately I was hot garbage as a child and couldn't get past Marble Garden so I learned about the barrel before ever encountering it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Wizardry 1 stuff

Wizardry 1 is an amazingly inventive game that I can't recommend anyone going back to because the only real way to play it IMO (Mac version) requires setting up the worst emulator.

But it really is the highlights of a D&D campaign condensed into a video game and before World of Xeen I'd say it has some of the best set pieces in an RPG from that era with really smart secrets hidden about. Like one town is ruled by a succubus that drains health from men but not women, so it's actually optimal to roll an all female party. And you're ultimate goal from the start is fighting these four legendary beasts that are always discussed on the periphery.

The first dungeon is kind of a "gently caress you" tease, though. Each area leading up to the room with the old man who gives you the first real quest has mandatory fights on each spot, no matter which direction you go. And there's a coliseum in the middle with monsters that will probably wipe you out. Until you make it to the second town and buy some platemail your basically inching your way here and there inbetween rests.

Also, good riddance to every RPG with variable HP per level up. Savescum that poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

The first dungeon is kind of a "gently caress you" tease, though. Each area leading up to the room with the old man who gives you the first real quest has mandatory fights on each spot, no matter which direction you go. And there's a coliseum in the middle with monsters that will probably wipe you out. Until you make it to the second town and buy some platemail your basically inching your way here and there inbetween rests.

I found the warp in the first town that takes you to the town to deliver that, but I've been really hesitant to save there until I know I can get back to the safer areas and find the guy I'm supposed to deliver to. I can't afford anything, though, since I'm getting a maximum of about 40 gold in a fight and that's only if I get really lucky.

I also found the secret portal in the dungeon that took me to the slide that drops me in the acid pit. That was an rear end in a top hat move.

al-azad posted:

Also, good riddance to every RPG with variable HP per level up. Savescum that poo poo.

Oh god, yes. D&D1E is the worst implementation of a terrible system and the first fifteen years of CRPG's are people making carbon copies of it.

That said, I've thought it would be amusing to torment some players by trying to do a campaign on pure 1E rules using the modules played as written. Including the tournament modules.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Maybe this isn't the place for Retroarch questions but:
Why do I get texture tearing in full screen mode but not in windowed? I'm pretty sure I've hosed with every single video setting. I've only been using it for SNES stuff on the bsnes mercury core.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zamujasa posted:

It's because the barrel actually responds to a much more frequently used input: jumping. If your timing is right, you can almost make it, just from using the momentum you get from jumping on it. The jumping trick is even enough to get you past an earlier barrel that acts the same, because the required distance to travel is lower.

If the barrel didn't move at all until you pressed up or down, then I'd bet a lot fewer people would have gotten stuck there.

You know what they call repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results is, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just got a box of Game Boy stuff from Japan delivered. I have not gotten to Cute Bunny yet (I'm probably going to save it for tomorrow when I can actually dedicate some effort to showing it off), against all odds my unlabeled cart turned out to be a bit of a rare and expensive one. Well, expensive by GameBoy standards.

But here's what was in my box:

• A crappy Yu-Gi-Oh game I'll never play (look, I bought bundles of three games for less than a dollar a cart when I thought I might possibly be interested in at least one game in the bundle).
  • Karamu Chou wa Oosawagi, which from my extensive thirty seconds of seeing if it was anything playable turned out to be a puzzle platformer. I'm kind of looking forward to figuring this one out and it seems like it might be based on an cartoon (one of the ones for young kids that anime fans have no clue that they exist).
  • Taikyoku Renju which to my disappointment turned out to be a gomoku game instead of a go game. OTOH, it had an english translation on the cart despite the fact that it was never released outside of Japan and it seems to have a puzzle mode so that's something.
  • Dragon Quest Monsters 1 and 2 which I've never played but I figured I might get some fun out of them.
  • Dragon Quest 1&2 which is what I actually wanted in that set as I now have all of the 8-bit DQ games. Yes, I know it's weird that 1 was the last one I needed.
  • Something called Pocket Monsters. Sounds a bit obscene, really, and the piss yellow label is doing it no favors.
  • KAWAII USAGI!!!
  • And the surprise that made it all worthwhile: Bonk's Revenge.

So A++ haul for :10bux: including shipping from Japan. I think I'll get at least that much fun out of this package.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELSGUH9Fi5Q

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 12, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nate RFB posted:

The Chaos Emerald stages are also a lot better in 3, and it's neat that the game gives you a story/level incentive to get them all.

Chaos Emerald stages in 2 are the best :colbert:

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
I have a Game Boy Player for Gamecube. What are my options if I want something similar to the Hori Game Boy Player Controller but cheaper? I see the Raphnet SNES to Gamecube adapter, but it's from Canadaland, so I'd like to know if there's anything else or if that's my best bet. What do you guys recommend? Or maybe a different type of controller all together?? :canada:

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Sand Dan posted:

I have a Game Boy Player for Gamecube. What are my options if I want something similar to the Hori Game Boy Player Controller but cheaper? I see the Raphnet SNES to Gamecube adapter, but it's from Canadaland, so I'd like to know if there's anything else or if that's my best bet. What do you guys recommend? Or maybe a different type of controller all together?? :canada:

You can use a Gamecube <-> GBA cable to use a gameboy advance as a controller if that's your thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wizgot posted:

I was wondering, as well, if the same thing happens to games today. Has the quality of videogames really gone up? I'm sure. I still think there are loads of lovely and mediocre games that come out today for modern systems.
Have you seen the Wii library? That's shovelriffic.
There will be lovely games for every generation, but more modern games have the benefit of standardized APIs, game engines, textures, documentation and a shitload more institutional knowledge that takes the burden off a bit.

LOCOCYCLE, for the XBONE, was a terrible, terribly lovely game. But it's heads above the LJN rage-inducing poo poo that was made in the NES heydays.

It's also worth considering that as lovely as some of those NES games were, the Atari library was arguably worse.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

FilthyImp posted:

There will be lovely games for every generation, but more modern games have the benefit of standardized APIs, game engines, textures, documentation and a shitload more institutional knowledge that takes the burden off a bit.

LOCOCYCLE, for the XBONE, was a terrible, terribly lovely game. But it's heads above the LJN rage-inducing poo poo that was made in the NES heydays.

It's also worth considering that as lovely as some of those NES games were, the Atari library was arguably worse.

Also, the increased costs of AAA game dev these days means that everybody is more likely to play it safe than take any big risks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

The kindest thing I can say about them is that they are an unmitigated disaster on every level.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
sonic 3 & knuckles has the lowest lows but also the highest highs of the series and it has way more highs than lows

Zaphod42 posted:

they look cooler but boy they really suck to actually play

fishmech posted:

You know what they call repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results is, right?

yes why couldn't every 6 year old be as rational as i, the world's smartest baby

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 13, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like the Sonic 2 special stages but I got sick of them rehashing it in every other game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

absolutely anything posted:

yes why couldn't every 6 year old be as rational as i, the world's smartest baby

The people who actually got stuck at the barrel are a tiny group, it was hardly a Sierra adventure game puzzle.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

sonic 3 & knuckles has the lowest lows but also the highest highs of the series and it has way more highs than lows
I dunno, when I think of "lowest lows" and "Sonic the Hedgehog" in a single sentence, the 2006 game comes to mind.

And even limiting it to the Genesis games, Labyrinth Zone is just an utter slog to get through, back before they figured out ways to make the slower-paced water levels flow better than a bunch of jumping around orthogonal geometry. (Though if I can extend the selection just a tad from that to include Sonic CD, then Wacky Workbench. Just Wacky Workbench.)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, when I think of "lowest lows" and "Sonic the Hedgehog" in a single sentence, the 2006 game comes to mind.

And even limiting it to the Genesis games, Labyrinth Zone is just an utter slog to get through, back before they figured out ways to make the slower-paced water levels flow better than a bunch of jumping around orthogonal geometry. (Though if I can extend the selection just a tad from that to include Sonic CD, then Wacky Workbench. Just Wacky Workbench.)

well i meant genesis games yeah obviously sonic 06 is the actual worst thing with the word sonic on it, but as bad as wacky workbench is boy fuckin sandopolis is just the loving worrrrrrst

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

well i meant genesis games yeah obviously sonic 06 is the actual worst thing with the word sonic on it,

Oh really? I think I can outdo that.

Sonic Spinball

the Tiger LCD version.

(Actually, that's probably the better version of the game.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a mockup video for a game based on the Sonic dystopian cartoon and it looked neat. The idea was Sonic as a stealth platformer, almost Prince of Persia like. I'm a pretty big proponent that the speed fetish ruined Sonic.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
What are my best options for putting roms on my NES, SNES and Genesis?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
NES: Everdrive N8 (good), PowerPak (bad)
SNES: SD2SNES (best), Everdrive (good), PowerPak (bad)
Genesis: Mega Everdrive (good)

Maybe things changed recently but I think this is still the general idea.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Thank you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zamujasa posted:

NES: Everdrive N8 (good), PowerPak (bad)
SNES: SD2SNES (best), Everdrive (good), PowerPak (bad)
Genesis: Mega Everdrive (good)

Maybe things changed recently but I think this is still the general idea.

PowerPak is totally fine for the NES.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

GameStop Unveils Used N64 at E3

LOS ANGELES — Amid a packed auditorium, EDM music and swirling laser lights, GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines unveiled a used Nintendo 64 console made in 1996 to a frenzied audience.

“We got a 64-bit processor in this baby,” Raines said, “62.5 megahertz graphics card, 4 megabytes of RAM, a Goldeneye sticker covering the reset button, and a single controller with a broken d-pad!”

While some are calling this a game changer for the industry, the system itself cannot change games. A copy of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time is pretty much glued in there now because someone spilled Mountain Dew on it.

“There are a lot of people I want to thank,” Raines stated after settling the crowd down. “First and foremost, James Fisher. Without him trading this system in I don’t know where we would be. Then there is my boy, Brad Patterson, GameStop employee extraordinaire, for making this deal possible!”

Raines went on to thank the “programmers” who spent an entire afternoon ensuring the system functioned properly and was debugged (a roach had died in the Memory Expansion slot). They cleaned the controller ports with compressed air and replaced the AC power adapter because the original showed signs of significant feline chewage.

The announcement has been met with mixed fan reaction. “I love it,” stated 12-year-old Mark Ellis, “There aren’t any massive update times, there are already almost 300 games in the catalogue I could hypothetically play if I could get that drat cartridge out, and the graphics are so retro.”

“All it does is play games,” stated detractor Ashley Simon, “You can’t download indie-games, you can’t stream Netflix, and you need three hands to work the remote. What a joke!”

Sources indicate that GameStop is already hard at work for next year’s convention, hinting that negotiations have begun to secure “the world’s most powerful console” — a Sega Dreamcast from a woman whose son has just left for college.

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/gamestop-unveils-used-n64-at-e3/

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

There's at least one person with a complete Wii collection:

http://kotaku.com/a-complete-wii-collection-is-an-impressive-sight-1791697705

Different strokes for different folks and all, but jesus if that isn't just a wall of crap.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

shyduck posted:

Different strokes for different folks and all, but jesus if that isn't just a wall of crap.

The Wii has a much deeper and better library than most people give it credit for with a lot of interesting games not on any other platform that flew under the radar.

But that man has a giant pile of poo poo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

shyduck posted:

This guy is probably mad again about Just Dance, as 2018 is still getting a Wii release (and PS3 and 360).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

they look cooler but boy they really suck to actually play

Wrong :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpU5640iE5k

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only good thing in Sonic Spinball are the stupidly long boss explosions and the Toxic Caves music. It's actually decently funky and with some less harsh sounds would fit in with other Sonic music.

(The best Sonic music is Rusty Ruin Zone, though. :ssh:)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is a great video John's Arcade just put up yesterday. It's an awesome watch for anyone who followed that great Sky Skipper story from a long time back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynhZdfS7C4

Discount Viscount posted:

It sorta drives me nuts when a game doesn't have a definitive version.

So then I buy them all, playing right into the trap!

Twenty pages ago (sorry, I am trying to catch up) but this is exactly the case for Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Every single one of them has their own gigantic problems that the other version does not have. N64 one has all the characters, but looks shittier and has way worse sound. The PS1 version has awful loading and is missing characters and fatalities. The DOS and Windows ports are just ports of the PS1 version.

I really wish someone would make a perfect version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

PowerPak is totally fine for the NES.

Eh. Have both, the PowerPak is worse, plus uses CF instead of SD so it's awkward to mess with files. Plus you have to run some arcane sorting bullshit if you want your files listed properly.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The only good thing in Sonic Spinball are the stupidly long boss explosions and the Toxic Caves music. It's actually decently funky and with some less harsh sounds would fit in with other Sonic music.

(The best Sonic music is Rusty Ruin Zone, though. :ssh:)

The bonus games in Spinball are probably the best part of that game, being actual pinball. Shame you have to play through the rest of the game to get them.

• Locked thread